• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Blith

Neo Member
Hey guys!

Need advice, pls help me decide!
I want to upgrade my cpu because i think, for PUBG its not enough. Somtimes i got 20-30 fps at very low (i tryed med/high textures for more gpu usage but not helped me to mutch)

So i have 3 options:
A
ASUS PRIME B250M-PLUS
8GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM Kingston HyperX Fury Black CL15 (2X4GB) (HX424C15FBK2/8)
Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Socket 1151
105 000Ft/340 Euro/388 USD
I can buy this tomorow.

B
ASROCK Z270M Pro4
CORSAIR 8GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz CL15 KIT CMK8GX4M2B3000C15
INTEL Core i5-7600K 3.80GHz 1151 BOX
131 849Ft/427 Euro/488 USD
i can buy this in 2 month range.

C
I can buy some used 4690k or 4770 or if iam lucky a 4790k...
used z97
and keep my old RAM
price is little lower than plan A
I can buy this in maybe 1 or 2 week

Iam an idiot if i choose A ?

Your Current Specs: Core-I7 950 3.06 Ghz /Cooler Master 212 evo/ 2x8 GB Kingston 1600Mhz blu /Asus Sabertooth x58/ Gigabyte 1060 6Gb / Corsair TX 750 / Cooler Master Mystic / 2x WD10EZEX + 64Gb Micron SSD
Budget: 350-500 US dollar / Hungary
Main Use: Gaming, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor : 1080P Acer Predator Z271bmiphzx 27" G-sync/144Hz
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
R6 Siege: 1080p 144+ fps low/med
PUBG: 1080p 60+ low/med
Destiny 2 1080p 60+ med/high
Battlefront 2 1080p 60+ med/high
Looking to reuse any parts?: I only want to change CPU/RAM/MOBO
When will you build?: i want it now but i can wait 1 mounth
Will you be overclocking?: Maybeee ... but i like when my pc cool and quiet

rtcn63

is gigabyte radeon RX580 8gb a good card for gaming? will be obsolete soon? does it compare to 1060 or 1070?

The 1060 is Goku, the 580 is Vegeta

giphy.gif

Hey guys!

I want to upgrade my cpu because i think, for PUBG its not enough. Somtimes i got 20-30 fps at very low (i tryed med/high textures for more gpu usage but not helped me to mutch)

So i have 3 options:
A
ASUS PRIME B250M-PLUS
I can buy this tomorow.

B
ASROCK Z270M Pro4

C
used z97
and keep my old RAM

Your Current Specs: Core-I7 950 3.06 Ghz /Cooler Master 212 evo/ 2x8 GB Kingston 1600Mhz blu /Asus Sabertooth x58/ Gigabyte 1060 6Gb / Corsair TX 750 / Cooler Master Mystic / 2x WD10EZEX + 64Gb Micron SSD

Will you use your 1060 6GB with any of these systems?

I would skip option C; it's mostly outdated parts at this point.
Option A seems solid to me, but keep in mind that it cannot be overclocked at all, so your "Maybeee" response to overclocking will need to be a firm "no" if you go with option A. That's totally fine, but just something you need to be aware of.

I can't say for sure, but I think option A will achieve most of what you want in the settings/FPS area for the games you're mentioning, but I'd be definitely confident if you went with option B (which, btw, can be overclocked). Maybe someone else can chime in as to whether option A is enough to meet your needs... like I said, I think it should be, but am not quite knowledgeable enough about the i5-7500 to guarantee that.

so should I get the 580 8gb or 1070 ? do you think the price difference is worth it? playing in 1080p, 60fps, how many more years do you expect the 580 to still perform well?

I'm in the same boat (wanting a solid 1080/60fps)

Answer to how long I expect it to last - I don't know - I'm hoping 3-4 years though before I need a new PC. (Bought this one 4 years ago so complete re-build after this)

Thing is - you'll also be in the same boat as me in regards to the fact you just won't be able to buy either right now due to the miners (might have better luck with the 1060)

I've pre-ordered a 580 8GB just in case.
But Vega comes out end of this month

So might be switching my pre-order to that
If Vega turns out a flop at least I'm on the pre-order train for the 580

Sou Da

I'm in the same boat (wanting a solid 1080/60fps)

Answer to how long I expect it to last - I don't know - I'm hoping 3-4 years though before I need a new PC.

Thing is - you'll also be in the same boat as me in regards to the fact you just won't be able to buy either right now due to the miners (might have better luck with the 1060)

I've pre-ordered a 580 8GB just in case.
But Vega comes out end of this month

So might be switching my pre-order to that
If Vega turns out a flop at least I'm on the pre-order train for the 580
How'd you pre order the 580?

My new rig, still waiting for EVGA 1080ti SC2 to be delivered.
My only issue so far is with kraken x62 temps, when i run prime 95 they hit 100c in a 2 minutes, I replaced thermal paste and it still hits 80c on stock 7700k.
Do not purchase win 10 keys from play-asia, two that they sent me where both used, still waiting on refund. Any reliable place where can i buy win 10 key?
dH9Pj5s.jpg

S9XIBc3.jpg

Iud5Xfl.jpg

Built a very similar set up! Decided to go with a refurb EVGA 1080 instead of the 1080 TI SC2 and kind of regret it! Very nice rig!

Also, don't bother with Prime 95. I don't think it reflects a realistic usage scenario.

Blith

Neo Member
Will you use your 1060 6GB with any of these systems?

I would skip option C; it's mostly outdated parts at this point.
Option A seems solid to me, but keep in mind that it cannot be overclocked at all, so your "Maybeee" response to overclocking will need to be a firm "no" if you go with option A. That's totally fine, but just something you need to be aware of.

I can't say for sure, but I think option A will achieve most of what you want in the settings/FPS area for the games you're mentioning, but I'd be definitely confident if you went with option B (which, btw, can be overclocked). Maybe someone else can chime in as to whether option A is enough to meet your needs... like I said, I think it should be, but am not quite knowledgeable enough about the i5-7500 to guarantee that.

Yeah i will use my 1060 until next year i think. Thanks for the advice, i know i cant oc the 7500 and with the b250 but i like the idea of the low 65W TDP. (Its very hot in my country these days :D )

So I decided to just get rid of my old ATX case rather than try to re-sell it. It's big and bulky meaning the only reasonable sale I can expect is local, and honestly, it probably wouldn't fetch more than $30 in the best case.

The case is a Thermaltake V9 BlacX.

Here's a front/top view:

Notice the two USB ports at the top. It's hard to tell, but one of them has a blue outline and is a USB3 connector... but this case is from 2011 (or 2010 even) and the USB3 connection was jerry-rigged by sending a USB cable through the case and out the back to plug into the back-panel of the motherboard's USB3 connection, as seen by the blue USB cable in this pic:

Well, as it turns out, that cable is about 18 inches long, give-or-take. And, I needed a USB extension cable for a webcam I bought recently which has a stupidly short ~18" cord... which might be fine for a laptop or if your screen is right next to your PC, but because my PC is on the wooden floor under my desk, it's too far away to easily reach.

MicroCenter sells USB extension cables for about $10. I bought one, but before opening it, realized I could maybe remove this internal USB cable from my old case.

Lo and behold, I was able to! And it works like a charm. Saved me $10 just by salvaging that cable.

I also salvaged the hot-swappable HDD ports at the top; not sure I'll ever need it, but it is basically just a few tiny cables that I can store away easily.

But the thing I'm most proud of salvaging is this 230 mm, 800 RPM fan that was contained within the chassis at the top of the case:

It's super dusty obviously, but there's no easy way to clean a fan that's wedged inside the case's top panel. Gonna clean 'er up and see about jerry-rigging it into my Thermaltake Core V21. It's basically a silent fan but really does push a lot of air. I am pretty confident I can screw it into at least two fan screw holes in my case, and then tie it tight on the other two corners using zip ties. It's a 230x230x20 mm fan, so it's surprisingly thin.

Lunar FC

If your case has a window behind the area of the mobo where the CPU is (so you can access it from the back) you should be fine. You may have to remove your RAM or GPU for comfort, but that should be all.

You can install it without taking the mtherboard out.

Thanks. Just wasn't sure if the cutout in the back was big enough to install the back plate but I managed to find a couple videos on youtube of people installing a kraken in the s340 and looks like their is plenty of space.

Bloodember

PC Gaf please help, I hope this is the right place for this.

I have an issue on my PC, I bought a new one or rather second hand and I am having issues with the graphics. The seller is very reputable and is willing to help as much as possible so I don't know if this is hardware or software related.

I only bought this to play Tekken 7 :p

Specs are:

Intel i5 4670S
intel dh87rl
8gb RAM
MSI gtx 960 2gb
SANDISK SSD PLUS 240gb
Windows 10
450w PSU

Everything is up to date, drivers and windows.

I don't have anything else installed except for Steam with Tekken 7 and Bayonetta. I have checked the files on steam and it says everything is fine.

Basically I can be playing for 5 minutes or 40 minutes when all of a sudden the screen losing signal and the sound is gone. The PC continues to run but I cannot get any picture until I restart. I have monitoring on there and the logs show the graphics card never going above 57 degrees so I am certain this is not an overheating issue.

I have tried almost everything, my last test is going to be running the video over a DVI cable and having the sound come from the MB to see if the game is still running in the background and it's the card that might be faulty, but not sure what else to check. Event Viewer also shows me no errors before this happens, the only error I get is after reboot telling me the system did not shut down properly.

Sadly I don't have a spare card to test.

Sounds like your PSU (power supply).

Hey guys!

So i have 3 options:
A
ASUS PRIME B250M-PLUS
I can buy this tomorow.

B
ASROCK Z270M Pro4

C
used z97
and keep my old RAM

I'd go with plan A, but get one stick of 8GB RAM, then grab another stick in a month or so, that way you'll have 16GB of RAM. 8GB of RAM is the minimum for some, for me I wouldn't go less than 16GB.

Hero

So it's been a year and I still haven't gotten a new video card.

Here are my specs:

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
8GB RAM

What's the best bang for the buck card right now? GTX 1060 or 1070?

Don't have a 4K monitor or TV. 1080P 60fps would be ideal for me.

Here are my specs:

8GB RAM

1060 and 1070 prices are inflated right now due to the mining craze. There are very few new cards available in the mid-range at a fair price unless you get lucky to snipe one when it pops up on Newegg or something. Third party sales, Ebay, etc are just too high.

So uh... I'm not sure what to suggest. You either go to the low-mid end (1050 Ti) or high-end (1080 or 1080 Ti) if you want to pay a fair price for a video card right now. The 1080 Ti might get you close to 1080p60, but a 1060 would be a much more comfortable choice if that's your goal.

Here are my specs:

8GB RAM

580 8gb is the best bang for your buck k

Hero

1060 and 1070 prices are inflated right now due to the mining craze. There are very few new cards available in the mid-range at a fair price unless you get lucky to snipe one when it pops up on Newegg or something. Third party sales, Ebay, etc are just too high.

So uh... I'm not sure what to suggest. You either go to the low-mid end (1050 Ti) or high-end (1080 or 1080 Ti) if you want to pay a fair price for a video card right now. The 1080 Ti might get you close to 1080p60, but a 1060 would be a much more comfortable choice if that's your goal.

I was wondering why the prices were higher compared to what the spreadsheet had tem listed for.

Why is the mining craze still going on? Bitcoin on the rise again? This pisses me off. How often do they pop up on Newegg for the regular price would you say?
580 8gb is the best bang for your buck k

Your k at the end makes me not sure if you're serious or not!

Question for all you guys who are "in" with the rumor mills. Should I buy 2 1080ti Posiedons now or is Volta on the horizon? I know at least for me it's easy to fall into the cycle of always waiting for whatever is next, but from what I've read it seems Volta is a ways off?

I have a 4k 144hz G Sync and a 21:9 1440p 100hz G sync that I would really like to be able to hold stable 60/100 in everything at. I have no problem waiting, however if NVidia is thinking about releasing in the next year or less.

PCGAF, what are your suggestions?

Helznicht

Screw these miners snapping up all the pentium g's on LGA1151 sockets. I went to microcenter to buy a pentium g4560 and a motherboard (-$30 if bought together) to build a budget gaming pc for my daughter, all they had were the shitty pentium g3258 on LGA1150. They have no idea when they are getting more pentiums in stock. :(

Fastest single card you can afford. SLI support is spotty, especially with all the console ports to risk IMO. Don't wait for the next big thing, cause there is always another next big thing.

Rizific

any recommendations on a cpu for my wifes work pc? just needs to push ms office and emails. AMD FX?

edit: my googlefu tells me intel's G4400 is the go to budget cpu, any objections?

I was wondering why the prices were higher compared to what the spreadsheet had tem listed for.

Why is the mining craze still going on? Bitcoin on the rise again? This pisses me off. How often do they pop up on Newegg for the regular price would you say?

Your k at the end makes me not sure if you're serious or not!
I am serious , in terms of bang for your buck ,Radeon 580 8gb takes the cake . 1070 is better, but more expensive

Why is the mining craze still going on? Bitcoin on the rise again? This pisses me off. How often do they pop up on Newegg for the regular price would you say?!

Etherium is the coin being mined heavily these days. The mining craze mostly was gone from late 2015 until early this year, but it's back and worse than ever for PC builders. I have no idea how often they appear on Newegg, but the few times I've seen it they're gone within 10 minutes.

I am serious , in terms of bang for your buck ,Radeon 580 8gb takes the cake . 1070 is better, but more expensive

I agree with this, but also that it's basically impossible to find either card at a good price.

Sou Da

Etherium is the coin being mined heavily these days. The mining craze mostly was gone from late 2015 until early this year, but it's back and worse than ever for PC builders. I have no idea how often they appear on Newegg, but the few times I've seen it they're gone within 10 minutes.

I agree with this, but also that it's basically impossible to find either card at a good price.
Literally 9-10 minutes according to nowinstock.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
any recommendations on a cpu for my wifes work pc? just needs to push ms office and emails. AMD FX?

edit: my googlefu tells me intel's G4400 is the go to budget cpu, any objections?

basically the cheapest CPU you can find that is compatible with the rest of the PC. even a cheap AMD APU will be fine. office/browsers don't require much. i'd be more concerned with RAM.

holysan

Got an I7-7700k + ASUS STRIX Z270F + 16 gigs 3200 mhz RAM from Corsair.

The RAM runs at 2166. What do I gain from overclocking it to atleast 2666?

I noticed a recent problem with the Windows 10 Creator's Update. Any time I run a game in Fullscreen Windowed mode, it breaks Microsoft Edge. The content inside of the Edge window becomes locked and generally stays that way until you exit the game.

Anyone else experience this or know a workaround? I was switching between Chrome and Edge but using Chrome exclusively now due to the issue.

Joqu

I dunno if this is the best place to ask, but do any of you guys have experience with a gaming rig causing ground loop issues? I'm reading up on it but it all goes a bit over my head. I've noticed I get a really bad hum out of two of my devices when the PC I built is connected to the same outlet as my other devices with an audio out port (a Nintendo Switch and my monitor).

I'm reading that connecting all my devices to the same outlet is supposed to be the way to fix stuff like this though... But it only happens when they're all plugged into the same extension cord with multiple plugs. I've tried plugging my desktop into a separate plug with and it goes away when I do so. (It's really inconvenient this way though, so I can't stick with this solution. I need to run another extension cord to my PC and it's a big wiring mess.)

Anyway, I'm also a little worried. It seems like my PC is the culprit, yeah? Should I assume something is wrong with it? I use an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 as my power supply so I'm supposed to be using a quality product on that end.

Also, I don't get any hum out of my desktop audio if that changes anything, it's only the monitor and the Switch that experience issues when my PC comes into play.

Couple of extra frames most likely, shaved off minutes if it's used for rendering. What's your GPU, or are you running with intel graphics?

kmfdmpig

Did you turn on XMB in your bios? Doing so should automatically set the RAM to 3000 or 3200 without any real effort or trouble.

500Mhz :)

Real-world improvement will vary depending on use-case. Games can see FPS improvement, though typically marginal, and of course it depends on the game.

If it's rated at 3200, run it at 3200.

I noticed a recent problem with the Windows 10 Creator's Update. Any time I run a game in Fullscreen Windowed mode, it breaks Microsoft Edge. The content inside of the Edge window becomes locked and generally stays that way until you exit the game.

Anyone else experience this or know a workaround? I was switching between Chrome and Edge but using Chrome exclusively now due to the issue.

Reinstall Edge
Reinstall GPU drivers

All else fails, stop using Edge.

Brandwin

Trying to dive into PC gamer (console gamer here)

This is what I have now - How much and what do I need to improve to play games like PUBG?

What I have now - Video card - Intel (R) HAD Graphics
CPU - Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-3300 CPU @3.l00GHz
Ram - 8GB
OS - Windows 8
Disk Space - 1TB

kennah

Trying to dive into PC gamer (console gamer here)

This is what I have now - How much and what do I need to improve to play games like PUBG?

You don't even meet the minimum requirements for the game :( So.. pretty much everything. Your CPU MIGHT be ok, but you'd definitely need a video card. Is it a prebuilt system or something else?

bachikarn

Question for all you guys who are "in" with the rumor mills. Should I buy 2 1080ti Posiedons now or is Volta on the horizon? I know at least for me it's easy to fall into the cycle of always waiting for whatever is next, but from what I've read it seems Volta is a ways off?

I have a 4k 144hz G Sync and a 21:9 1440p 100hz G sync that I would really like to be able to hold stable 60/100 in everything at. I have no problem waiting, however if NVidia is thinking about releasing in the next year or less.

I was in the same boat but I decided just to get the 1080 ti now. EVGA has a step up program that let's you split the difference if a new card comes out within 3 months of your purchase.

As far as Volta, I feel like no one really knows. Half the articles I read we're pretty confident that something is coming out in Q3 this year, while the other half said it was definitely coming out in earlt 2018. It made sense to me that Nvidia might want to push it early to counter AMD Vega, but now that it turns out it sucks, I imagine their plans may have changed. Also this crypto currency boom might have changed plans.

trembli0s

Switched from a circa 2009 Sony LCD TV to a 27" Acer IPS G-Sync monitor. I didn't realize how bad the old setup was until I played a game yesterday.

I went from a 970GTX to a 1080TI and the monitor has been the bigger upgrade.

Brandwin

You don't even meet the minimum requirements for the game :( So.. pretty much everything. Your CPU MIGHT be ok, but you'd definitely need a video card. Is it a prebuilt system or something else?

It's prebuilt. I figured I would just need a video card. Doh!

Magwik

Banned
To go from 60fps medium settings in DOOM to 160fps on Ultra
(1060 3GB -> 1080)

What am I going to do with this much power??

Top Bottom