• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Shoot I gotta do some benchmarks, I think the stock cooler on my 1700 is causing my R9 390 to heat up more than usual. Pretty sure the Hyper 212 on my 2500k helped keep the heat off the GPU, and now with a smaller case I might need to get another tower cooler

Depending on how hot I get the system tonight (plus whatever I get when I OC the CPU), may just buy a Cryorig H7

The room im putting my pc tends to get quite warm during the summer (no other option unfortunatley) should i consider liquid cooling?

Is there a window to put an air conditioner?

No, its a loft with no windows, i have a standing fan up there but im considering buying a second one. I also dont know anything about overclocking, this is my first pc and i know usually liquid cooling isnt typically necessary unless you plan on over clocking

Heres what i have so far on parts picker, with a few omissions

Asus 1080ti
Intel I7 7700k 4.2 ghz
MsI z-270 A pro
Cooler master hyper master 212 evo 82.9
Corsair vengence 16gb
2tb hard drive
850 evga power supply

No, its a loft with no windows, i have a standing fan up there but im considering buying a second one. I also dont know anything about overclocking, this is my first pc and i know usually liquid cooling isnt typically necessary unless you plan on over clocking

Asus 1080ti
Intel I7 7700k 4.2 ghz
MsI z-270 A pro
Corsair vengence 16gb
2tb hard drive
850 evga power supply

An all-in-one (AIO) water cooler might help a lot for your CPU heat issue.

I was in the same boat but I decided just to get the 1080 ti now. EVGA has a step up program that let's you split the difference if a new card comes out within 3 months of your purchase.

As far as Volta, I feel like no one really knows. Half the articles I read we're pretty confident that something is coming out in Q3 this year, while the other half said it was definitely coming out in earlt 2018. It made sense to me that Nvidia might want to push it early to counter AMD Vega, but now that it turns out it sucks, I imagine their plans may have changed. Also this crypto currency boom might have changed plans.

Seems like the Volta speculation is mostly based around the fact that NVidia does have a Volta product that is supposed to be shipping Q3 (for computing applications not gaming). At least with Pascal, pared down gaming versions followed the big die by only a few months. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a bit longer this time.

Shoot I gotta do some benchmarks, I think the stock cooler on my 1700 is causing my R9 390 to heat up more than usual. Pretty sure the Hyper 212 on my 2500k helped keep the heat off the GPU, and now with a smaller case I might need to get another tower cooler

Depending on how hot I get the system tonight (plus whatever I get when I OC the CPU), may just buy a Cryorig H7

Yeah you need some serious airflow (intake/exhaust) when both the CPU and GPU coolers just blow around inside the case.

Yeah you need some serious airflow (intake/exhaust) when both the CPU and GPU coolers just blow around inside the case.

I've got more fans than ever before (2 intake, 1 exhaust & CPU cooler). Wondering if I should replace the hard roof for the mesh filter (Fractal Mini C) to just let hot air escape through the roof

The room im putting my pc tends to get quite warm during the summer (no other option unfortunatley) should i consider liquid cooling?

How hot are you talking? Both liquid cooling and air cooling rely on heat transfer to the ambient air in the room, and will be affected the same by increased ambient temps (ie, if you dial in either cooler for 70C at 25C ambient, expect both to be about 80C at 35C ambient). Of course, fan curves, thermal throttling, and what not may mean that relationship isn't totally linear like I've quoted above.

If you do stick with air, I'd recommend a slightly better cooler than the 212 EVO. It's a nice cheap option, but you can do a lot better for ~$10-20 more.

I've got more fans than ever before (2 intake, 1 exhaust & CPU cooler). Wondering if I should replace the hard roof for the mesh filter (Fractal Mini C) to just let hot air escape through the roof

Certainly worth a shot, doesn't cost anything to try. If you're running positive pressure (more intake air than exhaust) I'd expect it to help a fair amount. That said I've always found it pretty hard to intuit the best combination of intake/exhaust fans as well as location.

In general though, I think you're on the right track with the tower cooler. It's pretty helpful to have the CPU fan blowing towards an exhaust port.

FHIZ

So, I may go a little crazy and Raid 0 two NVME drives for my boot I know there are some risks to setting up a RAID partition, but does setting up SSDs have a lower risk?

kmfdmpig

Asus 1080ti
Intel I7 7700k 4.2 ghz
MsI z-270 A pro
Corsair vengence 16gb
2tb hard drive
850 evga power supply

I wouldn't go with a 212 for the 7700k. It's an all time legendary heat sink, but it's past its prime with the newer chips that run so hot. If you go with air-cooling then there are better options now, such as those in the OP.

I wouldn't go with a 212 for the 7700k. It's an all time legendary heat sink, but it's past its prime with the newer chips that run so hot. If you go with air-cooling then there are better options now, such as those in the OP.

Thank you for saving me from a potential over heat! im going to take another look at them, is there a specific fan youd recommend? Something that isnt too expensive but will be effective for tbe 7700k?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to be building my first computer this year, and it's getting to the point that I'd like to start looking into buying my parts. I'm also someone who likes to maximize his dollar via sales and good deals. Does anyone have any tips for where I should be buying parts from and any tools/tips I can use to make sure I'm getting the best prices?

I really know nothing about the pricing trends in the PC parts industry and where I should be looking to buy from, so I appreciate any and all advice.

If it helps, I'm hoping to build a solid 1080p gaming PC with a GTX 1060 being my GPU. I'm still trying to figure out the CPU based on Ryzen vs. Kaby Lake. I'd like to build the computer in the next 3-4 months, and the hard deadline is the end of this year. I'm in the US.

FHIZ

I'm going to be building my first computer this year, and it's getting to the point that I'd like to start looking into buying my parts. I'm also someone who likes to maximize his dollar via sales and good deals. Does anyone have any tips for where I should be buying parts from and any tools/tips I can use to make sure I'm getting the best prices?

I really know nothing about the pricing trends in the PC parts industry and where I should be looking to buy from, so I appreciate any and all advice.

If it helps, I'm hoping to build a solid 1080p gaming PC with a GTX 1060 being my GPU. I'm still trying to figure out the CPU based on Ryzen vs. Kaby Lake. I'd like to build the computer in the next 3-4 months, and the hard deadline is the end of this year.

In the same situation as you, look to see if there's a Microcenter near you, their motherboards and CPUs are discounted, and usually if you buy both, they take another chunk of cash off. I saved like $80 last weekend.

If it helps, I'm hoping to build a solid 1080p gaming PC with a GTX 1060 being my GPU. I'm still trying to figure out the CPU based on Ryzen vs. Kaby Lake. I'd like to build the computer in the next 3-4 months, and the hard deadline is the end of this year.
If you're in the US, Newegg is one of the best sites to deal with, since they have tons of discounts all the time, although you have to register for their newsletter to get the promo codes.

They also tend to send you 10% discount coupons on various things every few months, which can be a nice help with RAM prices, since those have gone nuts in the past few months.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy an extra mesh window for the ThermalTake Core V21? All they seem to sell on their website are transparent panels, but I'm hoping to find the mesh panels to increase open air flow into my case...

Thank you for saving me from a potential over heat! im going to take another look at them, is there a specific fan youd recommend? Something that isnt too expensive but will be effective for tbe 7700k?

Lots of good options, prices ranging from around $40-90. Cryorig h7, Thermalright True Spirit, be quiet! Pure/Shadow rock, Scythe Mugen/Fuma. Most of these manufacturers have more expensive models as well, and if you're OK spending a bit more look at Noctua as also.

Ploid 3.0

Is there a way to redeem a Nvidia free game on the hardware I it came with then play it on another PC? I want to have Rocket League for the living room PC but the PC with the new card won't play the game (my personal PC, not much of a competitive MP gamer).

Will the game be tied to geforce experience account? Will it continually check the graphics card before it launch?

Bloodember

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy an extra mesh window for the ThermalTake Core V21? All they seem to sell on their website are transparent panels, but I'm hoping to find the mesh panels to increase open air flow into my case...

Contact their customer support.

Smokey

Is it just the 1060/1070 and AMD equivalents that are very hard to get? See a bunch of 1080ti's available on Newegg.

Ploid 3.0

Is it just the 1060/1070 and AMD equivalents that are very hard to get? See a bunch of 1080ti's available on Newegg.

Yes, rx 480/rx 580 (maybe 470 and 570), 1060 6gb and 1070. 1060 should be easier to get though. The price of 1060 is creeping up, 1060 3gb version is easy to get. 1080 isn't good for mining at it's price. It's memory slows it down, the double stack or something, I forgot.

Weird, trying to install the AMD chipset drivers and the ryzen balanced power plan is still not showing up, which makes me think its not actually installing the chipset drivers properly or at all.

lol, apparently you can just un-zip the main installer and find the power plan installer and run that, how odd

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
In the same situation as you, look to see if there's a Microcenter near you, their motherboards and CPUs are discounted, and usually if you buy both, they take another chunk of cash off. I saved like $80 last weekend.

Thanks! There's no Micro Center anywhere near me, but there is a Fry's. Any chance you (or anyone else in this thread) know if they're a good place to go to for good deals on PC parts?

If you're in the US, Newegg is one of the best sites to deal with, since they have tons of discounts all the time, although you have to register for their newsletter to get the promo codes.

They also tend to send you 10% discount coupons on various things every few months, which can be a nice help with RAM prices, since those have gone nuts in the past few months.

Thanks! It looks like I'll be registering for their newsletter.

Yes, rx 480/rx 580 (maybe 470 and 570), 1060 6gb and 1070. 1060 should be easier to get though. The price of 1060 is creeping up, 1060 3gb version is easy to get. 1080 isn't good for mining at it's price. It's memory slows it down, the double stack or something, I forgot.

It is the mid range cards that are shooting up... Miners gotta mine.

Any guesses on when this price/demand increase will end? I'd rather not be caught in the middle of this.

Ploid 3.0

Having a game redeem issue with nvidia experience. I got the game with 1060 and am trying to redeem it on the system with the card installed, but it's not working. The allow button here does nothing, deny as well. I can click on other things but I can't allow nvidia experience to link up to steam it seem.

eFQf5gq.png

Is geforce tied to a browser like chrome or something? Maybe it's blocked? I added it to avast exceptions too. Maybe firewall which is still windows defender for me?

Megabat

So, I may go a little crazy and Raid 0 two NVME drives for my boot I know there are some risks to setting up a RAID partition, but does setting up SSDs have a lower risk?

Well, (and I won't purport to be an expert on storage, but) the short answer is yes. SSDs generally have a much lower failure rate than mechanical drives--higher-end MLC-based drives especially. And RAID 0 is still, basically, a chain; if one drive fails, you lose everything.

Though this, naturally, makes me really curious about your storage needs. Is this system a workstation or a gaming machine? If it's the latter, you probably won't see any benefit. I guess it's safe to assume your budget can contain the $600-$1500+ cost of the drives, and a platform that supports 28+ PCIe lanes, and 64GB of RAM (or more) (because any application (that I know of) that will make use of high storage speeds will take all the system memory it can get).

Anyway, uh, that is a little crazy! But it sounds cool as heck. I just put in a 256GB OCZ RD400, but haven't gotten around to reinstalling Windows yet.

Congrats! But as opticalmace mentioned, it is a big cooler. I had to make sure the RAM i bought was short enough to fit under it. Make sure you have the space. I think Noctua's site lists some RAM models that will fit.

I got the fan and I got it installed! It fit in my case but BARELY 😂😂😂 wow it's a BEHEMOTH of a heatsink LMFAO I can see why it is so highly rated

Ploid 3.0

This is crazy, playing a 3d game with 0 fan usage. MSI twin frozr or whatever it's called is pretty nice for a heatsink.

If you're not using it for very high-end video capture (10 bit uncompressed 4k video/etc.), that is well beyond your needs.

Just get a Samsung 960 evo and be happy.

sleepnaught

Recommendations for a Z270 motherboard under $200? Seems every year motherboard selection gets crazier and crazier, I have no idea where to even begin. All I want is something that can OC a 7700k to around 4.8ghz. Other than that I don't have any specific wants/needs.

I'm convinced that the Wraith Spire cooler is over-hyped in terms of cooling power. Well, to be fair, at least in my case. I reapplied it three times with the same thermal paste (cleaning all the old paste each time) in case I was failing at mounting it or having bad contact. Kept getting Prime95 Small FTT temps between 85-91C with relatively high fan curves.

Took it off, attached a CoolerMaster Hyper212 PLUS (I don't think they even sell this model anymore) and now it sits in the low-to-mid 60s with slower fan curves... On my first mounting attempt. It isn't quite as quiet to be fair, but it's easily a 20C-30C drop in temps under 100% load, and that's with a $25 cooler I bought 6 years ago.

I'll miss the nice LED ring, but RIP Wraith Cooler.

Oh, this is on my Ryzen 1700 @3.6 GHz at 1.25 VCore.

Old paste should be fine. Think about it this way, you've probably had paste on a CPU cooler at some point in life for years and it still worked, right? My paste lasted 6 years on my 2500k and only stopped working because I disassembled the entire PC :)

FHIZ

Though this, naturally, makes me really curious about your storage needs. Is this system a workstation or a gaming machine? If it's the latter, you probably won't see any benefit. I guess it's safe to assume your budget can contain the $600-$1500+ cost of the drives, and a platform that supports 28+ PCIe lanes, and 64GB of RAM (or more) (because any application (that I know of) that will make use of high storage speeds will take all the system memory it can get).

Primarily a gaming PC that could work as a workstation for tax write off reasons haha. But yeah, I looked into it some more last night, and it doesn't seem worth it. There's a good deal on the 500GB Samsung 960 NVME drives at Microcenter this weekend, so that's what got me thinking, but I'll probably just stick with a regular SSD.

I was unsure because I used MX4 from a tube that isn't even sealed properly and is 4 years old. So I used noctua paste that I got recently with a cooler, no difference.

Old paste should be fine. Think about it this way, you've probably had paste on a CPU cooler at some point in life for years and it still worked, right? My paste lasted 6 years on my 2500k and only stopped working because I disassembled the entire PC :)
Yeah that's what I figured. Plus it's replacing for a GPU that's overheating. Can't do any worse than I am now.

Finally got my PC (i7 7700K, GTX 1080, 16GB of RAM). Loving it so far but I've been having an issue. Been using the computer to try to game (Bought The Evil Within) on my Samsung KS8000 and I keep getting an overscan issue and the picture is zoomed in. Can't increase the resolution beyond 1366x768 on the game and the TV grays out the fit to screen option. Don't know what to do.

Also need some good test games and steam friends. lol

Max_Po

Banned
Hey guys I have a question for you.
I year or now close to 2 years ago I built a PC after 15 or 16 years.
Specs:
i7 4770k
16 gig DDR3 Ram @ 2400 mhz
R9 290x
Initially I had Windows 7, but I recently got Win10-Pro on it.
Corsair 1200 Watts Power Supply. The whole thing is water cooled. (Nothing to brag about but just wanted to mention that I went all out).

So my question is, I have not used the PC for gaming, its just sitting and not being used. I am a bit concerned about suing it as a regular day to day use Desktop due to 1200 Watt power supply. I have 2 DELL S2718D QHD Monitors I want to run VMware Apps for study purpose, however can anyone advise me how much power it will be drawing? I do not like to waste electricity. I also have a DELL XPS 15, I can try to figure out some way to utilize Multi-monitor environment with that but I have to carry the laptop around and would like to use the desktop as a base to have all the data stored in case some mishap happens or the Laptop Drive is wiped.....

So can someone please advise what should I do to save on the electric bill.

Top Bottom