• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

ISee

Recommendations for a Z270 motherboard under $200? Seems every year motherboard selection gets crazier and crazier, I have no idea where to even begin. All I want is something that can OC a 7700k to around 4.8ghz. Other than that I don't have any specific wants/needs.

You will be able to hit 4.8GHz on all z270 boards, if your CPU and cooling are good enough of course.
The only thing you need to worry about are the features. First take a look at USB 3.1 speeds, because not all z270 boards have full 3.1 support. Second take a look at NVME compatibility. Most boards have two m2 slots, but sometimes only one of them can handle a nvme drive. Third, do you need WiFi or Dual Lan support? Fourth, do you need a dedicated (good) on board sound solution? Do you need a dedicated AIO pump connector etc. etc.

Personally I went for the ASUS Z270-A. No WiFi, normal LAN, good sound solution (I don't like USB Headsets), full speed usb 3.1, NVME support in both slots and enough FAN connectors on the board for my needs. 4.8GHz were pretty easy to reach on my 7700k (1.29v) and I was able to squish out a couple of extra MHz and a slightly better timing out of my ram (3066MHz, CAS 15, 1.35V on my old z170 to 3100MHz, CAS 14, 1.322V on the asus z270-a). Bios is easy to use and the newest version adds some nice OC features. You can for example dictated upper and lower clockspeeds and voltages for certain temperatures. This way you can for example tell your CPU to only boost to 5GHz/1.35V below 80°C and just to 4.8GHz/1.3V above 80°C. You can also set a separate clockspeed for AVX usage, if you want to.

Bloodember

Hey guys I have a question for you.
I year or now close to 2 years ago I built a PC after 15 or 16 years.
Specs:
i7 4770k
16 gig DDR3 Ram @ 2400 mhz
R9 290x
Initially I had Windows 7, but I recently got Win10-Pro on it.
Corsair 1200 Watts Power Supply. The whole thing is water cooled. (Nothing to brag about but just wanted to mention that I went all out).

So my question is, I have not used the PC for gaming, its just sitting and not being used. I am a bit concerned about suing it as a regular day to day use Desktop due to 1200 Watt power supply. I have 2 DELL S2718D QHD Monitors I want to run VMware Apps for study purpose, however can anyone advise me how much power it will be drawing? I do not like to waste electricity. I also have a DELL XPS 15, I can try to figure out some way to utilize Multi-monitor environment with that but I have to carry the laptop around and would like to use the desktop as a base to have all the data stored in case some mishap happens or the Laptop Drive is wiped.....

So can someone please advise what should I do to save on the electric bill.
The power supply will only use the power it needs, your electric bill will be fine.

Finally got my PC (i7 7700K, GTX 1080, 16GB of RAM). Loving it so far but I've been having an issue. Been using the computer to try to game (Bought The Evil Within) on my Samsung KS8000 and I keep getting an overscan issue and the picture is zoomed in. Can't increase the resolution beyond 1366x768 on the game and the TV grays out the fit to screen option. Don't know what to do.

Also need some good test games and steam friends. lol
Use the over scan correction on the video settings.

McBryBry

TheBear

Hey guys I thought I'd upgrade my SSD after living with my 60gb Kingston for the past few years. Turns out ssd's have changed a bit since I last looked because this thing doesn't fit anywhere? I have a gigabyte B85M-D3H, is this unusable or do I need some kind of adapter? Needs be bootable

Cheers

Specs:
i7 4770k
R9 290x
Corsair 1200 Watts Power Supply. The whole thing is water cooled. (Nothing to brag about but just wanted to mention that I went all out).

So my question is, I have not used the PC for gaming, its just sitting and not being used. I am a bit concerned about suing it as a regular day to day use Desktop due to 1200 Watt power supply. I have 2 DELL S2718D QHD Monitors I want to run VMware Apps for study purpose, however can anyone advise me how much power it will be drawing? I do not like to waste electricity. I also have a DELL XPS 15, I can try to figure out some way to utilize Multi-monitor environment with that but I have to carry the laptop around and would like to use the desktop as a base to have all the data stored in case some mishap happens or the Laptop Drive is wiped.....

I'm not an electrical engineer, but, a larger PSU shouldn't pull significantly more power than the system needs. If you're running a 1200w power supply and only are needing 300w to run the system, but it were pulling 1200w, that'd be a 25% efficiency on a load of 25% of the PSU's maximum wattage. However, that isn't really a feasible scenario, because any modern PSU should operate at at least an 80% efficiency at a 25% load. If your PSU pulled 1200 watts for a 300w system, it'd be releasing heat equivalent to 900w... Which would be incredibly hot/inefficient. In fact, peak efficiency is usually between 20-50% of the max PSU wattage, which I bet your system's power needs would fall between (maybe 350-500w?)

Summary: You probably won't be wasting money via a boosted electricity bill with your 1200w PSU.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
You know we have a buy/sell thread if you have tried it already. You'd probably have a higher chance of success there.

My errand boy is the unofficially cop of that thread. It's funny how he takes it so serious.

And I think Smokey is right. The 1080 Ti are in abundance at it's normal price. It's the mid range that are rare and way more expensive than they should be.

Any chance of Amazon Prime Day (tm) throwing up offers on SSDs or RAM? Or headsets, come to think of it...

Or is it gonna be all pots and pans and wine.

kennah

Hey guys I thought I'd upgrade my SSD after living with my 60gb Kingston for the past few years. Turns out ssd's have changed a bit since I last looked because this thing doesn't fit anywhere? I have a gigabyte B85M-D3H, is this unusable or do I need some kind of adapter? Needs be bootable

Cheers
What ssd did you get? M2 is the newer tech but older style 2.5” SATA are still made. You possibly bought an m2 that connects directly to newer motherboards.

Any tips for overclocking my RAM on a B350M board with a Ryzen 1700?

The RAM is rated for 1.35V at 3000 MHz but at default is 1.25V and 2133 MHz. It's on the QVL list for my mobo. I see XMP options in my BIOS as well as options to manually OC. Should I just set the timings, voltage, and clock speed to what the sticks are rated for and see what happens?

Already updated BIOS to the most recent version, btw. Just looking for any beginner advice for RAM OCing as I've never done it before.

Jafku

His mobo doesn't support NVMe Protocol so the adapter wont offer any speed benefit over a standard SATA III SSD.

However, if there's any plan to upgrade the mobo (within the next two years or so) to one with NVMe and the M.2 slot then I would keep the 960 for now.
Ah. I see that now. Yeah I agree if he has any plans to upgrade he might as well keep the drive.

sleepnaught

You will be able to hit 4.8GHz on all z270 boards, if your CPU and cooling are good enough of course.
The only thing you need to worry about are the features. First take a look at USB 3.1 speeds, because not all z270 boards have full 3.1 support. Second take a look at NVME compatibility. Most boards have two m2 slots, but sometimes only one of them can handle a nvme drive. Third, do you need WiFi or Dual Lan support? Fourth, do you need a dedicated (good) on board sound solution? Do you need a dedicated AIO pump connector etc. etc.

Personally I went for the ASUS Z270-A. No WiFi, normal LAN, good sound solution (I don't like USB Headsets), full speed usb 3.1, NVME support in both slots and enough FAN connectors on the board for my needs. 4.8GHz were pretty easy to reach on my 7700k (1.29v) and I was able to squish out a couple of extra MHz and a slightly better timing out of my ram (3066MHz, CAS 15, 1.35V on my old z170 to 3100MHz, CAS 14, 1.322V on the asus z270-a). Bios is easy to use and the newest version adds some nice OC features. You can for example dictated upper and lower clockspeeds and voltages for certain temperatures. This way you can for example tell your CPU to only boost to 5GHz/1.35V below 80°C and just to 4.8GHz/1.3V above 80°C. You can also set a separate clockspeed for AVX usage, if you want to.

Sounds like that would work for me. I guess the only "want" would be an LED error indicator, but that's not a deal breaker by any means. As long as it can overclock nicely at reasonable temps that's all I really concerned about.

So, I was reading the last few pages of this thread and I was wondering, would I be better off buying a GTX 1080 for my build instead of the RX 580 I had in mind?

Here's my build btw: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xrWRxY

If you plan to build soon, yeah, you'll probably want a 1080 seeing as how the 580s are all out of stock or selling at insane prices. If you can wait a currently unknown amount of time, a 580 is a great buy at MSRP.

LilJoka

Specs:
i7 4770k
R9 290x

It'll draw around 50-100W idle. Maybe 200W if you got some VMs going. The CPU is only going to pull 80W at full load anyway. GPU at idle is going to be minimal. Rest of parts minimal.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Hmmm. I think I figured out one little problem. Seems Firefox for some reason raises your GPU temps and everything but the other browsers do not. I've been using fox since it came out. I think it's time to change. Everybody is saying go chrome.

Nazo

If you plan to build soon, yeah, you'll probably want a 1080 seeing as how the 580s are all out of stock or selling at insane prices. If you can wait a currently unknown amount of time, a 580 is a great buy at MSRP.

But is there a significant difference in power? Would I get more bang for my buck with a 1080 or is there little difference?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thanks! There's no Micro Center anywhere near me, but there is a Fry's. Any chance you (or anyone else in this thread) know if they're a good place to go to for good deals on PC parts?
Their selection is decent and they will pricematch Amazon, Newegg and maybe Microcenter

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
But is there a significant difference in power? Would I get more bang for my buck with a 1080 or is there little difference?
A 1080 is a faster and better card. No question.

It's possible once the mining craze is over that the market will get flooded with 580s and you can get them for cheap:

Saiyan-Rox

Guys I know this might be a bit OT but I didn't want to start a thread for it.

I'm about to preorder assassin's creed origins but I'm not sure if I should get it on PC or PS4 (Pro) I have an I7 skylake, gtx 1070, 16gb ddr4 and playing 1080p 21;9 but I don't want to get it on pc and it not give me a solid framerate. ATM I can't seem to get solid framerates on things like mass effect Andromeda and even prey dips on me. Any thoughts on version? I know the requirements for orings haven't released yet.

RS4-

Guys I know this might be a bit OT but I didn't want to start a thread for it.

I'm about to preorder assassin's creed origins but I'm not sure if I should get it on PC or PS4 (Pro) I have an I7 skylake, gtx 1070, 16gb ddr4 and playing 1080p 21;9 but I don't want to get it on pc and it not give me a solid framerate. ATM I can't seem to get solid framerates on things like mass effect Andromeda and even prey dips on me. Any thoughts on version? I know the requirements for orings haven't released yet.

If it runs like shit on that PC that's Ubi's fault, not yours.

Saiyan-Rox

If it runs like shit on that PC that's Ubi's fault, not yours.

See people say that and yet i don't think any recent game has been stable on me (no man's sky is another but I don't think that game is optimised well from what I read) Deus ex mankind devided and fallout 4 was another.

I guess I'm just not confident in my rig.

Retsudo

See people say that and yet i don't think any recent game has been stable on me (no man's sky is another but I don't think that game is optimised well from what I read) Deus ex mankind devided and fallout 4 was another.

I have an i5 Skylake, same gpu, 32g of ddr4 and can run most things maxed at 1440p (not ME Andromeda though). Maybe check you drivers, or see if some program is pulling more resources than it should.

Anyway, with Ubi games you never know if they will be infested by problems on launch, so i would wait on reviews to decide the platform to get it on.

Magwik

Banned

I don't know about Deus Ex, but Fallout games running like ass is a meme for the past decade.
Your rig is more than capable.

dr_mario

Guys, it's me, the RAM-guy (16 GB installed, 8 available).
I bought new Ram from amazon which had the same problems.For fun, I installed all of my four Rams and suddenly had 16 GB. So I wanted to take the RAM out, one by one, and with the first one it was already only 8 GB. So I tried and tried and now I have my two old RAM in socket A1 and A2 (the manual told to takes A2 and B2) and now I have 16 effing GB , with 16 GB. How is this even possible? Did I not try every position? Does the manual lie?
Will I be able to use all my 16 GB Ram accordingly, or will I have problems that I dont have the Ram in A2 and B2?

Whats even going on? Woohoo, it works!

Saiyan-Rox

I have an i5 Skylake, same gpu, 32g of ddr4 and can run most things maxed at 1440p (not ME Andromeda though). Maybe check you drivers, or see if some program is pulling more resources than it should.

Anyway, with Ubi games you never know if they will be infested by problems on launch, so i would wait on reviews to decide the platform to get it on.

I don't know about Deus Ex, but Fallout games running like ass is a meme for the past decade.
Your rig is more than capable.

See I don't know what's going on with mine. A friend suggested to try some of that Razer software the Cortex to optimze the rig for gaming but I dunno if that's making any difference my drivers are upto date also. ME:Andromeda doesn't lock at 60FPS even on medium on my rig,

ANd yeah you're right about Ubisoft and PC games thats the other issue but due to reasons I can only really pre-order now....screw it i'll go for PC anyway give it another chance I also really wanna play in that 21:9

LilJoka

Guys, it's me, the RAM-guy (16 GB installed, 8 available).
I bought new Ram from amazon which had the same problems.For fun, I installed all of my four Rams and suddenly had 16 GB. So I wanted to take the RAM out, one by one, and with the first one it was already only 8 GB. So I tried and tried and now I have my two old RAM in socket A1 and A2 (the manual told to takes A2 and B2) and now I have 16 effing GB , with 16 GB. How is this even possible? Did I not try every position? Does the manual lie?
Will I be able to use all my 16 GB Ram accordingly, or will I have problems that I dont have the Ram in A2 and B2?

Whats even going on? Woohoo, it works!

It needs to be in corresponding slots to run in dual channel. Check the manual.
Just sounds like the board is faulty with a dead ram slot.

Magwik

Banned
See I don't know what's going on with mine. A friend suggested to try some of that Razer software the Cortex to optimze the rig for gaming but I dunno if that's making any difference my drivers are upto date also. ME:Andromeda doesn't lock at 60FPS even on medium on my rig,

ANd yeah you're right about Ubisoft and PC games thats the other issue but due to reasons I can only really pre-order now....screw it i'll go for PC anyway give it another chance.

Something is definitely wrong then

Saiyan-Rox

Something is definitely wrong then

Same thing happened on my old rig I couldn't get stable FPS at all on many things it was an i5 Ivy Bridge and a GTX980 with 16GB ddr3 at 1080p and all of that was changed when I upgraded. the ONLY thing in my build that is the same is the PSU.

FX8300 system was running quirky ever since upgrading to an RX480 last year and after adding a sound card I am getting strange cases where the gpu does not come back from monitor off state when idle. So I thought the PSU may be the issue and here is what I have after running unigine valley for a good bit:

gallery_60983_11505_32209.png

The monitor not waking up thing may not be psu related for all I know but I guess the 7 year old Sirtech 500W no longer cuts it? Voltages were verified with Aida64..

kuYuri

Finally upgraded to the 1080 Ti! Got the MSI Gaming X version.

Now in the process of trying to upgrade to a new ultrawide monitor.

Holy shit - I have an MSI B350M Gaming Pro motherboard and I wanted to overclock my RAM. I set XMP profile #2 to overclock it from the 2133 MHz it was defaulted at (despite being binned for 3000 MHz) to 2933 MHz and it worked! No shitty boot-cycle situation or anything. As easy as XMP Profile #2 and adjusting the DRAM Voltage to 1.35 V from 1.25 V. I might push for 3000 MHz once AGESA 1.0.0.6 releases, but for now, I can live without the 67 MHz.

Obviously I need to stress test still, but I'm just so happy I'm not dealing with a boot cycle, clearing CMOS, adjusting voltages, etc at this stage.

The real kicker? These sticks weren't on the QVL list for my MB. I thought they were, but I realized just in the last hour that I was wrong on that - the 3200 MHz sticks were but not the 3000 MHz.

Swig_

Can a small case, like a Node 202, handle either an i7 7700K or a competing Ryzen chip? Mostly from a heating standpoint.

I'm wanting to build a small machine that is portable. Something like this, swapping out the 7700 K for the Ryzen.

CPU
AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard
Biostar - X370GTN Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage
Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card

Case
Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply

LilJoka

Can a small case, like a Node 202 handle either an i7 7700K or a competing Ryzen chip? Mostly from a heating standpoint.

I'm wanting to build a small machine that is portable. Something like this, swapping out the 7700 K for the Ryzen.

CPU
AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard
Biostar - X370GTN Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

Memory
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage
Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card

Case
Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply

It can, I have a 7700k @4.8ghz and a GTX 970 in the Node 304.

LilJoka

Do you have a parts list? Which cooler are you using?

Node 304
i7 7700k 4.8ghz 1.28v dellidded
MSI GAMING GTX 970 1557/3850mhz 1.22v
Gskill Trident Z 3000mhz CL15
Noctua NH-U14S
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
Corsair RMx650 PSU
3TB Toshiba HDD, 2xIntel X25 160GB SSD RAID0

My PC needs a clean but generally gaming is pushing 70-80c CPU and GPU. A newer GPU would get case temps down and would help a lot with noise from the GPU fan.

Mad Max

Node 304
i7 7700k 4.8ghz 1.28v dellidded
MSI GAMING GTX 970 1557/3850mhz 1.22v
Gskill Trident Z 3000mhz CL15
Noctua NH-U14S
Asus Z170I Pro Gaming
Corsair RMx650 PSU
3TB Toshiba HDD, 2xIntel X25 160GB SSD RAID0

My PC needs a clean but generally gaming is pushing 70-80c CPU and GPU. A newer GPU would get case temps down and would help a lot with noise from the GPU fan.

The node 202 can only fit coolers up to 58mm high though, so a NHU14S is much too big in that case.

A node 202 should be able to handle a ryzen 1700 or a 1600. Using the stock cooler, or if you don't mind removing the dust cover, a scythe big shuriken. A 7700k would probably run hot, but it could work if you won't OC.

When is the best time of the year to start buying components for a PC build? I'm always checking deals on parts, but I have been holding off thinking it might be better to wait to until the holiday season. Are Black Friday/ Cyber Monday deals on PC parts generally much better than what I could get now? I'm definitely not going a buy GPU until Vega is out and mining craze dies down though.

F34R

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but if you want a large SSD, do this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk...ate-drive-for-laptops/1167009.p?skuId=1167009

It's $400, comes with a $130 Best Buy gift card. So $270 if you will use it.

B&H has it for $270.

Best Buy price matches. So order online. Call customer service, say you want to price match. They did it for me after the SSD shipped. So the SSD cost $270, and the $130 GC shipped as well. 1TB of SSD space for $140.

I wonder how this will work if I can go pick it up in store instead of shipping....

Top Bottom