• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

If I have two radiators with fans pushing air over the radiators as intakes, do I need a separate intake case fan? My setup would be a GPU with radiator pushing air into the case from the rear and a CPU with radiator pushing air into the case from the front, then a 230 mm exhaust fan at the top of the case and no other fans.

Is this sensible, or would it be valuable to have a separate intake fan that's only pulling cool air in and not hooked up to a radiator? This is all in a Thermaltake Core V21 case if that makes a difference.

enewtabie

Debating on using a different brand for a 120mm Liquid CPU cooler. Been using Corsair products with no issue,but wouldn't mind trying DeepCools Captain cooler. Any other recommendations? EVGA has one as well.

vector824

If I have two radiators with fans pushing air over the radiators as intakes, do I need a separate intake case fan? My setup would be a GPU with radiator pushing air into the case from the rear and a CPU with radiator pushing air into the case from the front, then a 230 mm exhaust fan at the top of the case and no other fans.

Is this sensible, or would it be valuable to have a separate intake fan that's only pulling cool air in and not hooked up to a radiator? This is all in a Thermaltake Core V21 case if that makes a difference.

Are you saying that you're blowing hot air into your case? It should be reversed. Fans pushing air out the radiators.

vector824

I've seen all sorts of recommendations, including the actual manual for one of my AIOs (Corsair H90) suggesting blowing air into the case.

I guess as long as your exhaust fan is big enough it doesn't matter that much. Seems counter intuitive to me but to each their own.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Two beginner questions related to building with Ryzen:

1) Is a Ryzen 5 1600X enough to hit 60fps in older (5-10 years old) games? I'm thinking about games that might not have been coded with multithreading in mind and were dependent on single-core performance. Some particular games I'm interested in playing include Sonic Generations, Resident Evil 5, and the Bioshock games.

2) I watched a video from Hardware Unboxed that did many performance benchmarks with the R5 1600 compared against two Intel cards, all tested with a GTX 1080 Ti. On a few DX12 games, the 1600 performed worse against the Intel cards than normal, and the host said that he had found that Nvidia cards didn't always work well with Ryzen in DX12 games. That certain combinations of chip manufacturers could have poor results seemes odd to me. Is there some truth to this statement?

Bloodember

Update: Looks like the front panel connectors weren't connected right. I was able to get it up and running last night. Now it's time to find a game to choke the fucker.

Ha ha. Yup. Even tried a different outlet.
Ok just checking, you have no idea how many people forget or don't know about that button. Good to hear you got it running.

I have similar set up

Great pics man. I am almost done with my build and will post pics later today.

Regarding rgb I went with an M7 msi board, which has poor rgb option for mystic light but the gunmetal look with my case was hard to ignore. I had the duke 1080 card which was a monster and immediately sagged upon installation, luckily I predicted this and had a handy stand lift the gpu up.

Update: Looks like the front panel connectors weren't connected right. I was able to get it up and running last night. Now it's time to find a game to choke the fucker.

Ha ha. Yup. Even tried a different outlet.

Ok just checking, you have no idea how many people forget or don't know about that button. Good to hear you got it running.

Glad you figured it out. I feel like an ass after reading the make sure the power supply was switched on last night. This happens so many damn times it is not even funny.

Glad you figured it out. I feel like an ass after reading the make sure the power supply was switched on last night. This happens so many damn times it is not even funny.

Ha ha. No worries. I've done tech support before, and sometimes the answer is the most obvious one.

Since NZXT is having a sale on their HUE+ and Expansion strips, I bought that. My case has a window and when it's on, there are only like 3 little lights.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I want to get a cheap pair of speakers for light use, will I be able to have my headphones and speakers connected at the same time? I don't want to keep unplugging and plugging.

Speakers - Headset: - Soundcard

I want to get a cheap pair of speakers for light use, will I be able to have my headphones and speakers connected at the same time? I don't want to keep unplugging and plugging.

What do you mean unplugging? You can connect your headphones to the front of the speakers and then unplug them when you want to have the audio come out.

Edit: Actually if you plan to use those specific headphones as a mic, you probably will need to unplug/plug them in on the soundcard/front of PC when you want to use them.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean unplugging? You can connect your headphones to the front of the speakers and then unplug them when you want to have the audio come out.

Edit: Actually if you plan to use those specific headphones as a mic, you probably will need to unplug/plug them in on the soundcard/front of PC when you want to use them.

Yeah, I already have the headset and soundcard, the only thing I'd be buying is the speakers. And by unplugging I mean getting under the desk and switching cables which I can't really do as I suffer terribly with back pain. I was hoping I could just plug both the headset/mic and speakers in and then just switch which I'm using via the control panel.

Purchase something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N905VOY/

It's a USB headphone adapter. That's the first one I saw. Probably find one with decent reviews. But it basically is plug and play and should allow you to switch between the two from the sound playback device panel with the hardware you posted.

Yeah, I already have the headset and soundcard, the only thing I'd be buying is the speakers. And by unplugging I mean getting under the desk and switching cables which I can't really do as I suffer terribly with back pain. I was hoping I could just plug both the headset/mic and speakers in and then just switch which I'm using via the control panel.

Not with those speakers. Since there is no port for a mic.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Not with those speakers. Since there is no port for a mic.

How about the version up? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FSF2OSS/

It has aux in, is this for a mic? And would the quality of the mic/headset be worse going through the speakers?

EDIT: Also, my monitor has a 3.5mm Audio Out connector, couldn't I just plug the speakers into that? Would the quality be the same as if I plugged them into the soundcard?

Two beginner questions related to building with Ryzen:

1) Is a Ryzen 5 1600X enough to hit 60fps in older (5-10 years old) games? I'm thinking about games that might not have been coded with multithreading in mind and were dependent on single-core performance. Some particular games I'm interested in playing include Sonic Generations, Resident Evil 5, and the Bioshock games.

2) I watched a video from Hardware Unboxed that did many performance benchmarks with the R5 1600 compared against two Intel cards, all tested with a GTX 1080 Ti. On a few DX12 games, the 1600 performed worse against the Intel cards than normal, and the host said that he had found that Nvidia cards didn't always work well with Ryzen in DX12 games. That certain combinations of chip manufacturers could have poor results seemes odd to me. Is there some truth to this statement?

1. Yes
2. The difference in performance is actually not big, and r5 1600 is the best bang for your buck, specially since you can overclock with stock cooler from 3.2 to 3.9 hz, even 4hz with. O issues

How about the version up? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FSF2OSS/

It has aux in, is this for a mic? And would the quality of the mic/headset be worse going through the speakers?

EDIT: Also, my monitor has a 3.5mm Audio Out connector, couldn't I just plug the speakers into that? Would the quality be the same as if I plugged them into the soundcard?

The soundcard would be the best audio quality since it's a dedicated card.

1. No
2. The difference in performance is actually not big, and r5 1600 is the best bang for your buck, specially since you can overclock with stock cooler from 3.2 to 3.9 hz, even 4hz with. O issues

Wait, a Ryzen 1600 can't hit 60 FPS in a 10 year old game? Do you have any benchmarks to back that up? The peak CPU back then was something like a Core2Duo E6850... I can't believe that a C2D from 2007 can out perform a Ryzen 1600 in single-core processing.

Wait, a Ryzen 1600 can't hit 60 FPS in a 10 year old game? Do you have any benchmarks to back that up? The peak CPU back then was something like a Core2Duo E6850... I can't believe that a C2D from 2007 can out perform a Ryzen 1600 in single-core processing.
The 1600 gaming benchmarks are exactly the same as Intel's latest gen i5 processors while the multitasking and other cpu intensive tasks the 1600 has a massive advantage over the i5 due to the extra 2 cores. Get the 1600. It makes the current iteration of i5s more or less obsoletr given they are in the same price range.

Ryzen 1600 can perform similarly to an i5 7600k for gaming, but ryzen is more future proof due to having more cores and it's better at doing multiple things at once.

The 1600 gaming benchmarks are exactly the same as Intel's latest gen i5 processors while the multitasking and other cpu intensive tasks the 1600 has a massive advantage over the i5 due to the extra 2 cores. Get the 1600. It makes the current iteration of i5s more or less obsoletr given they are in the same price range.

Ryzen 1600 can perform similarly to an i5 7600k for gaming, but ryzen is more future proof due to having more cores and it's better at doing multiple things at once.

I just quoted you as saying "No" in response to "can a Ryzen 1600 hit 60 FPS on a 10 year old game?" Am I misunderstanding your previous post? It seems contradictory to this post.

Running into a couple of snags setting up comp.

First I noticed that my top fan on the radiator is not moving at all. It has been working before I installed any drivers, should both fans be working at all times right?

Next is setting up wifi. I downloaded the Killer network (msi board) command center and then downloaded the Killer network driver but it doesn't seem to have an executable or setup. How do I set up wifi through it?

I just quoted you as saying "No" in response to "can a Ryzen 1600 hit 60 FPS on a 10 year old game?" Am I misunderstanding your previous post? It seems contradictory to this post.

The 1600 will easily hit 60fps unless the game code is completely broken I don't believe that assertion either.

Samaritan

I have similar set up, asus srix b350 and same case p400s. I don't hink you need any of that. you can control the lighting of the MOBO, case and ram from ASUS aura. very easy. you can even control the keyboard lighting if it supports.

The problem with NZXt's hue is that does not connect with the mobo or ram, only fans. plus extra hardware, extra wires. It is only worth it if you really want the RGB fan control.

I am finishing my build this weekend, (need to do cable management and add another HDD), but so far the asus aura is AWESOME, It is controlling my mOBO, trident rgb and case lighting. no need for NZXt.

this is my ongoing work
6463b63edcc81ef5f8a378a0a109d49f.jpg

I will post pictures of my final build and examples of the asus aura lighting.

Thanks for the advise, that's actually incredibly helpful since our builds are so similar. I'm also using Trident RGB RAM, so it really sounds like sticking within the Asus Aura ecosystem is the way to go. How flexible is the software in your experience?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are people expecting the Vega cards to be heavily supply constrained? Thinking about maybe putting together a Ryzen 1700 + Vega 64 build and AMD is offering a $100 discount when you bundle them, but the GPUs aren't released yet.

Running into a couple of snags setting up comp.

First I noticed that my top fan on the radiator is not moving at all. It has been working before I installed any drivers, should both fans be working at all times right?

Next is setting up wifi. I downloaded the Killer network (msi board) command center and then downloaded the Killer network driver but it doesn't seem to have an executable or setup. How do I set up wifi through it?

turns out during cable management the connector got loose for the fans...
giphy.gif

The Threadripper 1950x system I put together.

I'm not sure on the motherboard and may go for the ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming board purely because it has a built in 10 gbps ethernet port. Something that I'd like for high-speed interconnectivity with an external storage server.

A big chunk of the cost goes toward a UPS, which is necessary for the kind of work that I do.

Thanks for the advise, that's actually incredibly helpful since our builds are so similar. I'm also using Trident RGB RAM, so it really sounds like sticking within the Asus Aura ecosystem is the way to go. How flexible is the software in your experience?
The software is great, lots of customization options. I forgot to mention that aura can also controls the gpu lighting.

See this video
https://youtu.be/otYgTZss4zU

Sorry, I meant to answer yes lol

Lol, no problem. I was like "wait there's NO way that's correct!" Makes sense now!

The Threadripper 1950x system I put together.

I'm not sure on the motherboard and may go for the ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming board purely because it has a built in 10 gbps ethernet port. Something that I'd like for high-speed interconnectivity with an external storage server.

A big chunk of the cost goes toward a UPS, which is necessary for the kind of work that I do.

Let us know how the build goes and how it runs/benchmarks once you get all the parts and build it! Do you think you'd replace the CPU cooler later on when more full-fledged Threadripper coolers come out?

Lol, no problem. I was like "wait there's NO way that's correct!" Makes sense now!

Let us know how the build goes and how it runs/benchmarks once you get all the parts and build it! Do you think you'd replace the CPU cooler later on when more full-fledged Threadripper coolers come out?

Yeah absolutely. This is part of my application for business funding so I'll likely only get to build it in a couple of month when the funds are released. So by the time that rolls around there'll be better coolers out.

I certainly need one because it'll be running pretty solidly rendering projects.

Samaritan

Note to self. Don't use a long hdmi cable for gaming. Shit was looking jagged and crappy and couldn't figure out why. Ended up the cable

I don't know what you define as "long", but that sounds like it's more to do with the specific cable you used and not its length. I've ran HDMI cables up to around 50ft/15m with no perceptible problems.

Are there anyone here who've had the Kraken X62? Whats your impression on the cooler? I am interested in for it aesthetics, but I am wondering how many people have problems with it. It has gotten great reviews, it is featured in many builds, but at the same time, there is a whole bunch of people on reddit, newegg and other places who claim the quality of the product is shoddy; between the cam software, lack of AMD ryzen brackets and incompatibilities.
It's difficult to gauge if the problems is a small sample of a large volume of products or if one can maintain that there is a real quality control issue.

CISphil

Neo Member
I feel like I'm being incredibly stupid here, but I just got a new Ryzen build sorted. I'm using a 1800x, so I'm seeing that +20c bullshit. Ryzen Master shows I'm exactly 20c less than HWmonitor for example.

The problem I'm having is my new cooler's fan is going nuts and I don't know how to change my fan curve properly. I can see things like speedfan don't work yet, so I tried in the bios. All I can find in there to control it is a visual graph which lets me set a curve but doesn't seem to work once I hit windows. I can see that Gigabyte boards should have a bunch of smartfan control curves ready to go, but this MSI one doesn't have anything but this standard graphical thing. It also doesn't ramp up until I've logged in and hit the desktop (no idea if that matters, just thought it was odd). Another odd point, when in the bios I set all fans to run at max and it was far more quiet than once I get into windows.

I have to be missing something stupid here, right? I actually thought the CPU was the issue so I got amazon to send out a new one, but it's clearly not what's causing this.

For the record, idle temps are 40-50c idle in Ryzen Master, HWMonitor and Aida64 report 60-70c. I can't run Aida64 as it stops out thinking the cpu is too hot (I guess? it doesn't tell me much), but I tried just running various games (The Witcher 3, Total War Warhammer and Battlefield) and it peaked around 65c in Ryzen Master. Not sure how great the "real" temps are for that cooler...

Here's the specs:
Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WWPDJ95/
CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800x: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06W9JXK4G/
Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 120: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cooler-master-masterliquid-120-aio-cpu-cooler-hs-07c-cm.html
RAM: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0134EW7G8/
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-026-ea.html
GPU: 1080ti
Also a sound card and network card harddrives. Dunno if info on them is relevant but I can figure it out if needed.

Could really use the help and would very much appreciate it!
Sorry if this post is a bit of a mess but I'm super tired writing it. Let me know if more info is needed.

Guys I have a question regarding gpu

I got msi duke 1080 and the msi gaming app is not recognizing any gpu.
I was able to change the 'duke' rgb lighting via mystic light.

Also what is a good benchmarking tool?

What kind of RGB case fans are you using by the way? That's kind of my one hangup with Aura Sync: the RGB fan support is pretty limited and none of the fans look quite as nice as Corsair's offerings.

Thermaltake Riing 12 Series High Static Pressure 120mm Circular LED Ring Case/Radiator Fan with Anti-Vibration Mounting System Cooling CL-F038-PL12WT-A White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VRKVG9Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Aura can sync with only a handful of RGB fans, but those are still rare to find. Most RGB fans will require an extra hardware. It is up to you to decide if it is worth it or not

Top Bottom