• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Have you checked the manual (for the case)? I built a system with a P400S a few months ago and that doesn't look familiar. I think you are probably looking at the wrong cable, just check the manual to be sure.

I checked, there is nothing. It seems I have to connect that to the PSU and control the fan from the front panel

Bloodember

I've had some bad experiences with acer quality and their customer service over the years. I'll give a company a few passes, but acer seems to not care so I won't buy any of their products anymore. This includes their subsidies as you deal with acer customer support if anything goes wrong.

I've had some bad experiences with acer quality and their customer service over the years. I'll give a company a few passes, but acer seems to not care so I won't buy any of their products anymore. This includes their subsidies as you deal with acer customer support if anything goes wrong.

Ah, I've had pretty good luck with Acer support. Had to RMA my monitor, they had trouble reproducing the issue so they replaced both the panel and the circuitry or w/e.

Bloodember

Ah, I've had pretty good luck with Acer support. Had to RMA my monitor, they had trouble reproducing the issue so they replaced both the panel and the circuitry or w/e.
Well, maybe they fixed their support finally, or you've been lucky. As for their quality I know that hasn't been fixed.

Ok, I figure it out the fan.

Just put everything together, it boots fine and goes to bios. I am fucking tired , will install Windows tomorrow.
Question : I updated my Asus b350 strix Mobo, and I am trying to access the Xmp profile so I can increase the speed of my ram . I bought a 3200 kit, and now it is tuck at 2133. I know I need to update the bios and change to Xmp profile, but I can't find it on bios. Any help guys ?

Ok, I figure it out the fan.

Just put everything together, it boots fine and goes to bios. I am fucking tired , will install Windows tomorrow.
Question : I updated my Asus b350 strix Mobo, and I am trying to access the Xmp profile so I can increase the speed of my ram . I bought a 3200 kit, and now it is tuck at 2133. I know I need to update the bios and change to Xmp profile, but I can't find it on bios. Any help guys ?

I would just open the manual and CTRL+F for 'XMP'.

ISee

Is this a good 1060 to buy?
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01IA9FEOO/

It seems very attractive price-wise, but I don't know if the single fan would come back to bite me (I don't plan on overclocking or anything like that).

It is louder and it runs hotter than other 1060 models. It also only boosts to 1700 MHz according to specs, which makes the card about ~10% less powerful than other cards with better cooling solutions and clocks (without further overclocking them). Zotac cards also lack a bit in build quality in comparison to other cards (cheap VRMs, cooling is often supposed to look impressive because of the size but efficiency is suprisingly low, terrible backplates out of plastic, thin and cheap PCBs). But this mostly effect longevity and OC capabilities.

In the end: If you can, spend more money on a better card. But if that's the limit of your budget tgan sure go for it. It won't explode and 1080p/60 is still doable on it.

Edit: wow. Other 1060s are CND$140 more expansive. That's nuts.

Really want to build a new pc, but I can't find a RX580 anywhere. Damn miners buying them all.

Guess I'll wait for the new RX Vega 54 or 64.

Just a heads up: costume designs aren't coming before September.

I am currently building with nzxt elite and in a similar situation as you. In my situation there is a molex that connects the fans to psu. Tested it out and worked!

Mine was not necessary to do anything , or connect to the Mobo. The sata cable power from the case also controls the fan, so the only thing I did was connect that sata cable to my PSU, no molex or anything necessary. And of course phantex did not mention that in the manual, had to Google for an hour do figure it out.

Anyone have general tips or recommendations for buying video cards these days?

I'm long overdue for an upgrade. As much as I like my 560 Ti 448 Core, that 1GB of video ram is the ultimate bottleneck these days. It's lasted me a good 5 years, though.

I'm planning to get a GTX 1060 with 6GB video ram and 2 fans. Checking around, they're mostly out of stock everywhere. Amazon will have ZOTAC brand ones in on August 7, but that's about it... Any tips?

Anyone have general tips or recommendations for buying video cards these days?

I'm long overdue for an upgrade. As much as I like my 560 Ti 448 Core, that 1GB of video ram is the ultimate bottleneck these days. It's lasted me a good 5 years, though.

I'm planning to get a GTX 1060 with 6GB video ram and 2 fans. Checking around, they're mostly out of stock everywhere. Amazon will have ZOTAC brand ones in on August 7, but that's about it... Any tips?

Thanks to miners video cards are being picked clean and fast. This is leading to supply shortages and prices staying at suggested retail or sometimes higher. Keep a lookout for what you want and setup in stock warnings sit back and be patient.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Can someone help me out.

PC wouldnt boot this morning. Reset the SMOS and Bios. Bios is running super slow and sometimes I'm getting this horrible sound. I've checked all the fans and they are running normal. I cant even pinpoint the location of the sound, wondered if its the cooler on the CPU.

Got a video of the noise.

https://youtu.be/66RjPzID4x4

Thanks to miners video cards are being picked clean and fast. This is leading to supply shortages and prices staying at suggested retail or sometimes higher. Keep a lookout for what you want and setup in stock warnings sit back and be patient.
Wow, had no idea this was the case. Thanks for the advice, I'll do some research and set up some alerts.

Wow, had no idea this was the case. Thanks for the advice, I'll do some research and set up some alerts.

What is unfortunate is the main supply constraint is midrange cards. They hit that perfect price point. There are a few builds I am helping people with and they are all stuck at the exact same stage of waiting for the graphics card. I was about to put my new build on hold but just said F' it and went with a 1080 ti. That option is not practical or sane for anyone that is actual trying to do a midrange decent build.

Can someone help me out.

PC wouldnt boot this morning. Reset the SMOS and Bios. Bios is running super slow and sometimes I'm getting this horrible sound. I've checked all the fans and they are running normal. I cant even pinpoint the location of the sound, wondered if its the cooler on the CPU.

Got a video of the noise.

https://youtu.be/66RjPzID4x4

Never heard that noise, ever. It very well may be the AIO cooler pump though as I can't imagine what else would make that noise. Can you tell if water is pumping properly? How old is the pump?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Never heard that noise, ever. It very well may be the AIO cooler pump though as I can't imagine what else would make that noise. Can you tell if water is pumping properly? How old is the pump?

Its 4 years old. Sound seems to have stopped when I removed the case on the other side. May have been a fan cable being pinched when I pulled the tower out.

Problem now I have no signal to the monitor when booting. Tried both GPUS seperate and different connection ports + cables. Cant even get to the BIOS.

What's everyone's thoughts on applying thermal paste to a bare die? I always use the pea method but that's for CPUs with a heat spreader. For a bare die I'm thinking the spread method (with a credit card or something) would be better to catch the entire area of the die without wasting or spilling over thermal paste.

What's everyone's thoughts on applying thermal paste to a bare die? I always use the pea method but that's for CPUs with a heat spreader. For a bare die I'm thinking the spread method (with a credit card or something) would be better to catch the entire area of the die without wasting or spilling over thermal paste.

For CPUs, I always use the pea method... well, slightly smaller than a pea, but more than a grain of rice for sure.

When I put thermal paste on my GPU for turning it into a water-cooled card, I put about a pea-sized amount, then put my hand in a ziploc bag and used my ziploc-coated finger to evenly spread the thermal paste across the entire die. I did this because I had read that it's absolutely vital to get good contact across an entire GPU die, whereas there's some "dead" space in a CPU so it doesn't matter quite as much if you don't get 100% coverage.

ISee

Always had the best results with spreading the thermal compound after delidding my cpu. But you need to be very carefull, it's very easy to damage something and the compound needs to be as thin as possible. Take extra care if you are working with liquid metal.

Also make sure that your cooler is able to make contact with the die (without the IHS) in the first place and don't apply to much preassure. Working without the IHS is tricky and a tiny bit of uneven or too high preassure or a unlucky flick of your wrist can damage your cpu (happened to me).I strongly advise against it.

Oh, I'm not delidding or anything like that. Just going to clean up my Macbook Pro and replace the god awful thermal paste job that's already there, maybe knock temps back a few degrees. Found some MX-2 from an old build I'll use.

Trogdor1123

Hey folks, I didn't get a reply on the last page so thought I would try again.

Are we expecting a big change in ram in the nExt year or so? I can get 16 gigs of good ddr4 from a friend for dirt cheap but I'm not making my new pc till next spring. I'd hate to sit on them for a year when another buddy could use them now.

On a side note, I upgrade ever 4-5 years. Is 16 gigs enough for that time frame?

Are we expecting a big change in ram in the nExt year or so? I can get 16 gigs of good ddr4 from a friend for dirt cheap but I'm not making my new pc till next spring. I'd hate to sit on them for a year when another buddy could use them now.

On a side note, I upgrade ever 4-5 years. Is 16 gigs enough for that time frame?

Regardless of what happens next year, I don't think it's smart to buy memory with the intention of holding it for a year.

16GB is enough to last you that long. However, if your other buddy could use it now and you won't for another ~6 months, I would just give/sell it to your buddy.

vewn

Highly unlikely.
With current RAM prices give it to the guy who needs it and buy one when you need it, there will be faster modules by that time anyway.
Depends on what you do. Gaming... probably. Editing/Rendering... no.

On a sidenote, the closer we get to Threadripper the more excited I get to finally throw out my 2700k. You served me well buddy but you're slow af.

Hopeford

It is louder and it runs hotter than other 1060 models. It also only boosts to 1700 MHz according to specs, which makes the card about ~10% less powerful than other cards with better cooling solutions and clocks (without further overclocking them). Zotac cards also lack a bit in build quality in comparison to other cards (cheap VRMs, cooling is often supposed to look impressive because of the size but efficiency is suprisingly low, terrible backplates out of plastic, thin and cheap PCBs). But this mostly effect longevity and OC capabilities.

In the end: If you can, spend more money on a better card. But if that's the limit of your budget tgan sure go for it. It won't explode and 1080p/60 is still doable on it.

Edit: wow. Other 1060s are CND$140 more expansive. That's nuts.

Thanks for explaining it! This isn't ideal, but I think I'll take ~10% less powerful because, yeah, $140 price difference is kind of too large for that difference in performance. Especially now that the price dropped since yesterday. It's now $320 CAD, which is like the cheapest I've seen those things for a long time.

It's not the limit of my budget(I'm limiting myself at $500 after tax) but I kinda wonder if the price difference is worth the ridiculous price increase after this card because, yeah.

Trogdor1123

Regardless of what happens next year, I don't think it's smart to buy memory with the intention of holding it for a year.

16GB is enough to last you that long. However, if your other buddy could use it now and you won't for another ~6 months, I would just give/sell it to your buddy.

Highly unlikely.
With current RAM prices give it to the guy who needs it and buy one when you need it, there will be faster modules by that time anyway.
Depends on what you do. Gaming... probably. Editing/Rendering... no.

On a sidenote, the closer we get to Threadripper the more excited I get to finally throw out my 2700k. You served me well buddy but you're slow af.
Thanks folks, I'll tell him to just give it to our other buddy. It makes more sense.

I'm looking for a new graphics card to pair with my 3570k and fit into my fractal node 304 case.

Is the Zotac GTX 1070 Mini the best card I can get? Not particularly looking for gaming performance...more for After Effects/Resolve/other video editing apps

Samaritan

So from what I can tell, the Samsung Ultrawide that Vega comes with a $200 voucher for has garbage Freesync support. 😬 At least according to some of the comments I've been reading on it. Unfortunately Freesync would've been my main reason for getting Vega over a 1080 Ti, so that's looking like a bust.

So where're you at with what you're thinking of doing? I'd say if any of the monitors you're looking at support adaptive refresh rates, that you should absolutely make an effort with whichever video card you get to take advantage of that technology. I personally prefer Nvidia's side of things, but G-SYNC is definitely a significant premium compared to FreeSync monitors that are out there.

So where're you at with what you're thinking of doing? I'd say if any of the monitors you're looking at support adaptive refresh rates, that you should absolutely make an effort with whichever video card you get to take advantage of that technology. I personally prefer Nvidia's side of things, but G-SYNC is definitely a significant premium compared to FreeSync monitors that are out there.

Gsync has blown me away. I'm never going back to static refresh rate displays (for gaming) again.

I do think there is some YMMV, as depending on what you play you might not get much benefit. But from what I play it's hard to go back. I went to a friend's house and thought there was something wrong with his system after getting so used to my 144 Hz display lol.

Any standout differences between the Acer X34 Predator and Asus PG348Q? Both 3440x1440 100hz gsync IPS monitors. The Acer is about $200 cheaper on Amazon right now and I'm finally just going to pull the trigger on one.

kuYuri

Any standout differences between the Acer X34 Predator and Asus PG348Q? Both 3440x1440 100hz gsync IPS monitors. The Acer is about $200 cheaper on Amazon right now and I'm finally just going to pull the trigger on one.

Mostly aesthetics differences, functionally they are pretty much the same.

gogojira

Probably since it's ips, but it's acer, won't buy anything acer.

Thanks for the feedback. I shed a couple of hundred dollars off in other areas so I think I'm going to end up going with the Acer despite your issues (I have my reservations, too, actually!). Ended up watching some reviews and it seems people really love that monitor, hoping for the best.

I feel like I clearly went overkill in some regards because my build total is about $1900 right now (before the monitor), haha. Motherboards always trip me up because it seems like price jumps up quick but I don't see a whole lot of difference in them.

Looking at getting an i7 7700K and a 1080 ti, would this board be fine? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130978&ignorebbr=1

mtlam

So I've been looking at the Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV case for my next build. However, I'm reading reviews that point out that it has terrible air flow? What would be a good alternative to this case?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned

No idea what the noise was but it stopped. I'm wondering if it was a cable catching a fan when I removed one of the side panels that allowed them to become loose.

Luckily I found my issue and it wasn't what I expected. CPU was overheating and causing the safety shutdown to trigger. Took the heatsink and cooler apart gave it a clean. Wasn't expecting too much dust to say I clean it weekly. Having 2 fans on either side of the radiator musn't help.

All seems fine now and running 10-15 celsius lower than I had been over the past several months.

jEXIJry.jpg

Bloodember

Thanks for the feedback. I shed a couple of hundred dollars off in other areas so I think I'm going to end up going with the Acer despite your issues (I have my reservations, too, actually!). Ended up watching some reviews and it seems people really love that monitor, hoping for the best.

I feel like I clearly went overkill in some regards because my build total is about $1900 right now (before the monitor), haha. Motherboards always trip me up because it seems like price jumps up quick but I don't see a whole lot of difference in them.

Looking at getting an i7 7700K and a 1080 ti, would this board be fine? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130978&ignorebbr=1

Yes that board will work.

Microcenter called me today to pick up my pc and it is great and beautiful. I love the NZXT S340 Red and Black case. First time having a window case and It's really cool to look at the inside.

Also, the EVGA 1060 SC 3GB is really small.

Next thing I need is a new keyboard, a mouse, a Steam controller, a HDMI switcher, and a Nintendo Switch then I'll have all my gaming equipment for the next few years.

Draginite

Neo Member
Hey y'all! I'm on a 7+ year old iBuyPower gaming laptop I got as a birthday present ages ago. It's on its last legs, and I'd like to upgrade to a proper desktop asap. I wrote out this big specifications post for the buildapcforme subreddit, but figured I'd bring it over here too so I could get some more help! I tried answering everything as specifically as possible, but if there are any other questions, I'll answer them as best as I can!

I was looking into graphics cards a lot, and I think I'm set on getting a Nvidia 1060, specifically the EVGA 6GB SC version, unless there's a better one I should try for.

Really sorry for the wall of text, but I figure the more info, the better!

>**What will you be doing with this PC? Be as specific as possible, and include specific games or programs you will be using.**

I do 3D modeling and animation, and use programs like Autodesk Maya/ZBrush/3DCoat/Substance Painter. I'm looking to be able to run these programs without any major slowdowns or hiccups. I don't need a machine that's a powerful/fast image/video renderer, though. That'd be a nice bonus, but isn't my biggest focus.

I also use Photoshop and Illustrator, and record in Audacity often, which aren't really intensive programs.

I'd like to use this machine for gaming, but I'm not going to be playing a huge amount of triple-A graphical powerhouse games, and I'm not super obsessed with high-end graphics. I don't need 4K or 1440p or anything too crazy. 1080p at 60fps is good enough for me. I'd like to play Killer Instinct, XCOM 2, PlayerUnknowns Battlegrounds, Forza Horizon 3, Halo 5 Forge mode, maybe Prey or Dishonored 2, probably Dragon Quest Heroes 2 when it comes to recent graphics-heavy games. Being able to run PS2 emulation or the Dolphin emulator for Gamecube/Wii would be really nice, too.

Honestly, I play most triple-A graphics games on console, but I'd still like the option to be able to play them at a smooth framerate on my PC, even if I have to bump down shadow quality or anti-aliasing a bit.

I don't stream on Twitch or anything very often, but being capable of doing that now and then would be nice.

I watch some tv/movies via MKPlayer, but most of my stuff is streamed online via Netflix or HBO Go or Crunchyroll lately.

I'd really, REALLY love to be able to do dual-monitor stuff. That's a big priority for me. Having netflix on one screen while I game or 3d model on the other is probably MOST important to me with this build.

>**What is your maximum budget before rebates/shipping/taxes?**

I'd like to keep my budget as close to $1000 as possible. If the price before shipping/taxes is $1000 and the shipping/taxes bumps it over, that's totally okay. If the budget needs to stretch just a few dollars over $1000 to fit a very good part in, I might be able to work with that.

>**When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Note: beyond a week or two from today means any build you receive will be out of date when you want to buy.**

As soon as I move back into my housing at college on the 21st, I'd like to settle in, and then start building, but I can buy anything I need in advance and have it waiting there for me to pick up, so I'll be buying asap but building during the week of the 21st.

>**What, exactly, do you need included in the budget? (Tower/OS/monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc\)**

I need all the basic parts of a tower; CPU, memory, storage, video card, case, and power supply.

I DO NOT need an Operating System, as I have a free copy of Windows 10 Education edition provided by my college.

While I do need a keyboard and monitor, I'm trying to not include them in this $1000 budget. I only need a basic keyboard, so if you find a cheap one and can squeeze it into the build as an extra, that's fine!

>**Which country (and state/province) will you be purchasing the parts in? If you're in US, do you have access to a Microcenter location?**

The United States, New York City (will be building in Rochester, NY). Where I plan to start buying and building this, I won't have access to Microcenter.

>**If reusing any parts (including monitor(s)/keyboard/mouse/etc), what parts will you be reusing? Brands and models are appreciated.**

The only thing I'm reusing is a very basic Microsoft mouse, which I can replace eventually but isn't a high priority at all right now.

>**Will you be overclocking? If yes, are you interested in overclocking right away, or down the line? CPU and/or GPU?**

* I'm not knowledgeable at all about overclocking, so having overclocking capabilities isn't a huge deal to me.

>**Are there any specific features or items you want/need in the build? (ex: SSD, large amount of storage or a RAID setup, CUDA or OpenCL support, etc)**

I need to be able to connect to an ethernet cable for internet access, and I'd like to be able to use WIFI as well, but if that card needs to be added later, that's okay.

I need a CD drive, as well.

I really appreciate a lot of storage space, but day-1 all I need is 1TB, so you could do a small SSD and a 1TB HD.

>**Do you have any specific case preferences (Size like ITX/microATX/mid-tower/full-tower, styles, colors, window or not, LED lighting, etc), or a particular color theme preference for the components?**

I'd like to explore my options with cases, but my preferred color would probably be black, although I'm also a fan of purple. and I'm not a huge fan of the inside of the computer being visible through glass panels or something. If you could include, like, alternate case options for me to browse through, or the specifications I need to keep in mind when looking for other cases (so I dont pick one I love that doesnt have the space for my GPU or something) that'd be awesome.

I don't really need to do fancy glowing LEDs or anything like that.

I'd like 2 USB ports on the front. If you can only do 1, that's fine!

Also, the smaller the case the better, as I'm going to have to move this at least 2 times between NYC and upstate New York, so portability is a bit of a concern.

RS4-

So I've been looking at the Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV case for my next build. However, I'm reading reviews that point out that it has terrible air flow? What would be a good alternative to this case?

fine for air, kinda lousy for aio/water.

Unless you want to do a few mods, some minor, some that actually require some dremel into the top lol.

Minor ones are adding washers or something to create a gap in the front panel, and loosely just putting the top panel on the case, rather than snapping it on.

Others cut more vents into the top panel as well.

Samaritan

Is there a general consensus on which RGB lighting ecosystem is better, between NZXT's Hue+ and Corsair Link? NZXT's Hue+ seems to be a little more robust, but their fans only having lights oriented on one side severely limits their usefulness it seems. On the other hand, Corsair's offerings are slightly more expensive and their software so far seems more limited.

Any thoughts?

For reference, I'm building inside of a Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered Glass and using an Asus STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 motherboard.

Top Bottom