• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Silvard

Guys, I haven't built a desktop PC since like 2012 or 11 when I built a GTX 570 SLI 6600Q or something machine, I can't even remember very well. at some point one of the GPUs failed, and the PCI-E SSD Revo drive I was using, I don't remember, and I stopped using the PC altogether. Then I bought a PS4 and have been using that and a Surface Book all along. I just moved to a new apartment and have been itching to get a new PC. I'm thinking a 1080 Ti, 7700k 32gb DD4 RAM 480GB NVM M2, and it would be a prebuilt because whatever I don't want to build it now. But I don't even know what I'd use it for. I obviously don't game on PC since I only have a Surface Book and haven't bought a AAA PC game in like 4 years. I got a PS4 Pro and I've been playing on that pretty much exclusively. It's also getting a bunch of PC game ports lately. Add to that that most of my friends play on PS4 primarily (except for Hearthstone) and it doesn't make much sense for me to get such a powerful and expensive PC.

But I want it. Help me out guys.

I think I just overclocked my Ryzen 1600 and got it stable on first try. First time overclocking anything so I'm unsure if all this is kosher. It's at 3.6Ghz and 1.25v. Seems stable. I ran Cinebench a lot, and CPUZ.
My temps peaked at 70c with Cinebench and 80c after 10 minutes of CPUZ.

Does all that seem okay? I've read mixed things about safe temps for Ryzen. Some stating 75c and others saying max is 95c.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Bleh, wanted to start building tonight but my CPU/GPU haven't come in the mail yet. It's 8:30 at night, so it looks like I'm waiting for tomorrow, hopefully.

Bleh, wanted to start building tonight but my CPU/GPU haven't come in the mail yet. It's 8:30 at night, so it looks like I'm waiting for tomorrow, hopefully.

I feel you. I ordered my parts on the 1st. I got everything but my CPU, case and motherboard. I just got an email saying I won't get my CPU till the 7th.

Makes me sad.

rezn0r

I'd still be pumped, like Christmas Eve. I can't wait to start ordering hardware again.

Durden77

So I didn't really know where else to post this, but could anyone help me get an idea of how much my PC would be worth to sell as is?

It's a Power Spec PC with Windows 7. Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz. 4 core. Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760. 16.0 gigs of RAM.

I've had it for about 4 years, and while it's been a great PC, I haven't used it in well over a year. I could use the money much more than it right now.

I don't know shit about this stuff these days. I'm just looking for a general price tag that I could throw this thing up on Offerup or something and sell it quick.

Sorry if there's a better thread for this. If there is if anyone could point me in the right direction I'll take it there.

Drakhoran

Neo Member
I think I just overclocked my Ryzen 1600 and got it stable on first try. First time overclocking anything so I'm unsure if all this is kosher. It's at 3.6Ghz and 1.25v. Seems stable. I ran Cinebench a lot, and CPUZ.

Does all that seem okay? I've read mixed things about safe temps for Ryzen. Some stating 75c and others saying max is 95c.

That sounds like everything is right and proper. 75°C shouldn't be a problem for any processor. Some people got a bit confused because for some reaseon the X models of Ryzen (1600x, 1700x, 1800x) reports temperatures 20° higher than they really are. With a non-x 1600 you don't have to worry about that.

Hey, I just got in a computer I had assembled from Cyberpower PC, and I can't seem to get it to boot. Nothing turns on. Is there a good checklist online of stuff I can try? I'm hoping I don't have to RMA anything.

Hey, I just got in a computer I had assembled from Cyberpower PC, and I can't seem to get it to boot. Nothing turns on. Is there a good checklist online of stuff I can try? I'm hoping I don't have to RMA anything.

First and Second post of this thread are your friend.

Honestly something might not be connected it is usually a loose wire.

Ecto311

I have an i5 2500k (no over clock yet) 8gb ram and 460gtx. Would getting a 1050 be a decent upgrade or am I looking at more of a bottom up build of everything? Looking to play some newer games and maxing starcraft 2. It's starting to chug on starcraft 2 and not even tried pubg or anything in that realm.

Guys, just finished putting my PC together and installing Windows 10.

I have one more component to install (HDD), then I am ready to finish cable management and close the case.

The PC seems to be running fine.

I tested furmark, and the maximum temp of my gyx 1080 was 62 degrees. Can't test 4k or qhd because my monitor does not support it.

My question is:
1. Any additional testing for the gpu I need to do ? I achieved 120fps which was the maximum of furmark.
2. Any stress test do you recommend? For how long ?
3. Is there anything else I need to do other than checking gpu and CPU ? How I do it ?
4. I downloaded geforce experience but it does not have the option to overclock. I could not find any software at gigabyte websites I have a gigabyte 1080 windforce. Which software do you recommend to monitor and tweak gpu ?

Thanks guys.

Once I finish my build I will post some pictures.very excited since this was my first build

I have an i5 2500k (no over clock yet) 8gb ram and 460gtx. Would getting a 1050 be a decent upgrade or am I looking at more of a bottom up build of everything? Looking to play some newer games and maxing starcraft 2. It's starting to chug on starcraft 2 and not even tried pubg or anything in that realm.

1050 is ok, but if possible id go a bit higher to 1060(6gb) or 480. And oc that 2500k and you should be good for 1080p/60 on most things for the time being.

Guys, just finished putting my PC together and installing Windows 10.

I have one more component to install (HDD), then I am ready to finish cable management and close the case.

The PC seems to be running fine.

I tested furmark, and the maximum temp of my gyx 1080 was 62 degrees. Can't test 4k or qhd because my monitor does not support it.

My question is:
1. Any additional testing for the gpu I need to do ? I achieved 120fps which was the maximum of furmark.
2. Any stress test do you recommend? For how long ?
3. Is there anything else I need to do other than checking gpu and CPU ? How I do it ?
4. I downloaded geforce experience but it does not have the option to overclock. I could not find any software at gigabyte websites I have a gigabyte 1080 windforce. Which software do you recommend to monitor and tweak gpu ?

Thanks guys.

Once I finish my build I will post some pictures.very excited since this was my first build

Furmark isnt all that great. Better to download heaven, valley, supposition, and 3dmark demo to test your gpu under realistic conditions. Youll want to run one of those at least 3x and look for artifacts to make sure you are stable.

To overclock you'll need msi afterburner, or evga precision x. If your card isnt evga better off using msi AB.

Furmark isnt all that great. Better to download heaven, valley, supposition, and 3dmark demo to test your gpu under realistic conditions. Youll want to run one of those at least 3x and look for artifacts to make sure you are stable.

To overclock you'll need msi afterburner, or evga precision x. If your card isnt evga better off using msi AB.

What types of artifacts ?

Magwik

Banned

I've got my 1600 at 3.75Ghz with 1.3v

It is a single use key. If you do not swap out motherboards all the time it is worth it for the price point you are looking for.

I ain't changing mobo for a long time. Just want to make sure the key won't be already taken or anything like that

edit: caved in and finally got code from play asia... works flawlessly!

Thanks PC Gaf again

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps not exactly the right thread, but I just saw this video on AdoredTV's channel about Intel's long history of anti-competitive practices. I really had no idea about any of this, so it was really eye opening. For around a decade now, I've really only considered Intel for my builds, but I'll definitely be taking a heavy look at AMD's offerings the next time around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osSMJRyxG0k

I see everyone buying a ryzen, is it really that good? In my ignorance I knew that usually AMD cpus gave problems in gaming

AMD is back. Especially the R5 1600 is an excellent CPU, since it's almost on par with Intels offering in the same price range in games (it's way faster for everything else), while it comes with a decent cooler, overclocking capability and 6 cores / 12 threads (vs. 4 cores / 4 threads on the Intel i5 side).

only thing remaining for my build is a win10 key which is a hard find.

any recommendations below the standard price of $100?

I had the same problem, but got around by finding one of my old broken laptops who had a sitcker in the back with a key number for Windows 7. I typed in that windows 7 key and worked just fine!!! Event though apparently Microsoft stopped allowing free upgrade to Windows 10 last year, it worked for me. If you Google, you will find A lot of pleople were able to get free Windows 10 by using an old laptop with either Windows 7 or 8.

Another option is if you have an old build running Windows 10, just activate the Microsoft account on that build before you activate on the new build. Then log in with your Microsoft account on the new build and it might work.

Khaz

Was/is the 980ti a good mining card? I'm planning to buy one used but I'd like to avoid the wear and tear mining implies.

Bakoery

Hey guys, I want to upgrade my pc but still reusing some parts.

The motherboard, memory, storage and power supply are the ones I have and want to reuse. The CPU, Graphics Card and case are the ones want to buy new.

this is my list so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bKCtD8

What do you guys think of this list and maybe give me your opinion about the inclusion of a CPU cooler? Is worth it compatible?

rezn0r

Is windows 8.1 a good system to install? Is it better than windows 7?

Virtually no one is going to agree with me, but yes it -was- worth upgrading from 7 to 8.1 when it came out. There's no reason to use 8.1 over 10 now though (so use Windows 10).

I've got my 1600 at 3.75Ghz with 1.3v
What are your temps like?

That sounds like everything is right and proper. 75°C shouldn't be a problem for any processor. Some people got a bit confused because for some reaseon the X models of Ryzen (1600x, 1700x, 1800x) reports temperatures 20° higher than they really are. With a non-x 1600 you don't have to worry about that.

Okay, thank you. no need to upgrade my cooler anytime soon then?

Hey guys, I want to upgrade my pc but still reusing some parts.

The motherboard, memory, storage and power supply are the ones I have and want to reuse. The CPU, Graphics Card and case are the ones want to buy new.

this is my list so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bKCtD8

What do you guys think of this list and maybe give me your opinion about the inclusion of a CPU cooler? Is worth it compatible?

I know it's way more expensive, but get rid of that CPU/MoBo/RAM combo idea. The CPU is pretty bad by todays standards (well, it was never good to be honest).

If you wanna go down the reuse MoBo/RAM route though, keep in mind that the FX-8350 draws insane amounts of power (~200W under full load) and I definitely would not want to couple it with that PSU. The PSU says 460W on the label, but it's crap*. It can only deliver up to 324W on the 12V rails and your CPU and GPU will eat ~all of that up.
Generally speaking I'd get rid of that PSU ASAP. It has TERRIBLE efficiency and it only has OVP, SCP and OPP protection. Plus it's probably quite old by now.

* It's way, way, way worse than even current $30 PSUs.

For someone with no clue about graphics cards etc, can some please tell if these computer spec:

Intel Celeron G1840, 2,8 GHz
Socket LGA1150
Haswell chipset
8 GB Ram
500 GB HDD
Intel HD graphics 4000

Is enough for these minimum requirments:
CPU: Intel Dual Core @ 2.0 GHz, AMD Dual Core @ 2.0 GHzRAM: 2 GBVideo: AMD Radeon 2600 XT or NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

No idea how my intel hd graphics compares to AMD/Geforce

What is the actual game in question?

Otherwise, you are probably looking at low graphic settings around 720p if it's anything outside of a MOBA and within the last several years, with exception to deliberately undemanding indie games. Integrated graphics aren't great to begin with, nevermind those that are several generations old.

Edit: Guess you got an answer already?

Need help, I am starting to build my PC. I have a p400s case, and it came with 2 fans and a fan control. Both fans are connected to the fan control, but the connection of the fan control is female, where do I plug on the Mobo? I need extra cable ? It is not in the box. Fuck

As someone who owns that case as well, I highly recommend you get some 140mm fans for it. That front panel is a bit of a choke point. I got two 140mm in the front and one 140mm at the top and it really did wonders for my temps.

As someone who owns that case as well, I highly recommend you get some 140mm fans for it. That front panel is a bit of a choke point. I got two 140mm in the front and one 140mm at the top and it really did wonders for my temps.

I have 2 120mm in the front and one in the back, and the temps are fine so far, even running stress testing. If it gets worse, I will change to 140mm or add a 3rd 120mm. thanks

Bakoery

I know it's way more expensive, but get rid of that CPU/MoBo/RAM combo idea. The CPU is pretty bad by todays standards (well, it was never good to be honest).

If you wanna go down the reuse MoBo/RAM route though, keep in mind that the FX-8350 draws insane amounts of power (~200W under full load) and I definitely would not want to couple it with that PSU. The PSU says 460W on the label, but it's crap*. It can only deliver up to 324W on the 12V rails and your CPU and GPU will eat ~all of that up.
Generally speaking I'd get rid of that PSU ASAP. It has TERRIBLE efficiency and it only has OVP, SCP and OPP protection. Plus it's probably quite old by now.

* It's way, way, way worse than even current $30 PSUs.

Hmm alright sounds fair. If I would remove the MoBo and PSU what kind of Mobo/PSU/ CPU combo would you recommend?

Is there a general consensus on which RGB lighting ecosystem is better, between NZXT's Hue+ and Corsair Link? NZXT's Hue+ seems to be a little more robust, but their fans only having lights oriented on one side severely limits their usefulness it seems. On the other hand, Corsair's offerings are slightly more expensive and their software so far seems more limited.

Any thoughts?

For reference, I'm building inside of a Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered Glass and using an Asus STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 motherboard.

I have similar set up, asus srix b350 and same case p400s. I don't hink you need any of that. you can control the lighting of the MOBO, case and ram from ASUS aura. very easy. you can even control the keyboard lighting if it supports.

The problem with NZXt's hue is that does not connect with the mobo or ram, only fans. plus extra hardware, extra wires. It is only worth it if you really want the RGB fan control.

I am finishing my build this weekend, (need to do cable management and add another HDD), but so far the asus aura is AWESOME, It is controlling my mOBO, trident rgb and case lighting. no need for NZXt.

this is my ongoing work
6463b63edcc81ef5f8a378a0a109d49f.jpg

I will post pictures of my final build and examples of the asus aura lighting.

Nice build. Always like it when people post completed builds. :)

Can you post your parts list again?

I will post this weekend pictures of the finalized build. I still have to do more cable management.

this is what I got. That was my first gaming PC, first build ever. LOL.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ngw6WX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ngw6WX/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $185.00)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $82.00)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $140.00)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $147.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $40.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card (Purchased For $465.00)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $75.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $82.00)
Case Fan: Thermaltake - Riing 12 LED White 40.6 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $14.00)
Other: Phanteks RGB LED 4 Pin Adapter, Specified for Phanteks Cases with RGB (Purchased For $5.00)
Other: AUKEY Mechanical Keyboard with Blue Switches, 104-key RGB Backlit, Customizable with 9 Presets for PC & Mac Gamers (Purchased For $46.00)
Total: $1281.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-04 09:10 EDT-0400

Top Bottom