• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

stupid question: I have 2 DDR4 ram 8gb (total 16) clocked at 2933hz. I have a ryzen. It shows 2933 on bios, as well as windows check memory.

When I boot ryzen master and cpuid, it shows half of that 1467. is that normal?

stupid question: I have 2 DDR4 ram 8gb (total 16) clocked at 2933hz. I have a ryzen. It shows 2933 on bios, as well as windows check memory.

When I boot ryzen master and cpuid, it shows half of that 1467. is that normal?

Yes. In programs like CPU-ID RAM frequency is shown at half because of RAM being 'Double Data Rate' (hence DDR) and all, IIRC. Nothing to worry about there.

horkrux

Been doing some research further and thinking of upgrading a few components to ensure happy memory compatibility and slightly beefier across the board too;

RrkoY0H.png

Anyone got any experience, thoughts, concerns or suggestions for the above shortlist?

What do you need all that RAM for?? Seems like a gigantic waste of money, especially now that you've bumped it up even further :'D

Sami+

Which CPU? Generally for Intel, anything below 80C is optimal for extended periods. They start throttling at 100C, so you have a lot of headroom.

if you don't go over 70C then you've nothing to worry about :)

my absolute limit is 85C and that includes stress tests. my 6700K at 4.5GHz doesn't go over 84C during IBT on Max. on High it's about 73C. during games it can be anywhere between 40-70C depending on the game. for example, GTA V at 1440p 60fps with most settings maxed out (no msaa, nvidia stuff, or enhanced shadows) i get between 50-70C but mostly 50-60C. Witcher 3 pushes a bit harder and sits about 60-70C. that's all settings maxed out except hairworks and at 1080p.

my cooler is a Cryorig R1 and i have 4x140mm fans.

It's an i5 4690K

I bought it years ago but I've only had the stock cooler and kept it at 3.5 GHz for all that time. I bought a new cooler and finally pushed it up to 4.2 for the first time like two days ago. ✌️

Thanks for the advice :)

If I enjoy RTS games, FPS games (like TF2), and strategy games in general, would anyone have a recommendation for something I can buy to stretch the legs on my new PC? It's a 1080 Ti/Ryzen 1700 system with a 1440p/165Hz monitor, so I'm just looking for a game that'd be fun to play around with a bit and also take advantage of the new rig. Mostly playing Hearthstone/WoW at the moment, and WoW is still a CPU bottle-necked nightmare and Hearthstone is pretty dang low on system reqs.

Basically, just looking for some fun recommendations for games to use as pseudo-benchmarks. :)

Wozzer

What do you need all that RAM for?? Seems like a gigantic waste of money, especially now that you've bumped it up even further :'D

Three monitors :p. I have a tendency to have a lot of clutter sprawled across all screens.

For example right now I'm currently utilizing 9gb mostly through ~50 or so Chrome tabs with Chrome being its usual memory hungry self. Throw on top some work software (IDE, web server, etc), a bit of Photoshop and steaming tools then I'm burning through memory before even loading a game. Then I also have a tendency to play two games at once (i.e. do some AFK grinding in Black Desert Online whilst between rounds on Pubg; two hungry games).

Basically wouldn't want to upgrade to less RAM and be in a position with a new build where I'm needing to adjust my laziness to having to close applications/run less at once in order to free up memory for gaming.

Erheller

If I enjoy RTS games, FPS games (like TF2), and strategy games in general, would anyone have a recommendation for something I can buy to stretch the legs on my new PC? It's a 1080 Ti/Ryzen 1700 system with a 1440p/165Hz monitor, so I'm just looking for a game that'd be fun to play around with a bit and also take advantage of the new rig. Mostly playing Hearthstone/WoW at the moment, and WoW is still a CPU bottle-necked nightmare and Hearthstone is pretty dang low on system reqs.

Basically, just looking for some fun recommendations for games to use as pseudo-benchmarks. :)

Dunno if it's any good or not, but Ashes of the Singularity is a new (late 2016 IIRC) RTS game with huge unitcounts and some fairly beefy system requirements (GTX 970).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/507490/

Stupid question but can you use DDR4 sticks on mobos that was meant for DD3?

I noticed one of my sticks of RAM died out. When I was looking to replace it, I noticed that the price for used ones were more expensive than what I paid for like 5 years ago?

I need some help Grandparent's computer, it's my old one that I built in Uni that I gave them when I built a new one.

I've been wasting my sunday at their place trying to sort it and I'm kind of lost.

Basically there's two things, one is that the GPU just randomly stops sending signal or something, the monitors (have tried 2 different) either then go into sleep mode or just say no signal/hdmi and nothing fixes it unti I restart the computer.

2nd thing is that it randomly freezes, like a freeze as freeze, nothing moving on the screen, proper frozen. NO BSOD or anything. Just a completely frozen screen. Until you restart it, except that freeze also works can happen on the start up parts, it even happened to me in the bios once.

Anyone have any ideas?

According to them they only started happening yesterday.

Dunno if it's any good or not, but Ashes of the Singularity is a new (late 2016 IIRC) RTS game with huge unitcounts and some fairly beefy system requirements (GTX 970).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/507490/

Thanks! I'm gonna check it out.

I need some help Grandparent's computer, it's my old one that I built in Uni that I gave them when I built a new one.

I've been wasting my sunday at their place trying to sort it and I'm kind of lost.

Basically there's two things, one is that the GPU just randomly stops sending signal or something, the monitors (have tried 2 different) either then go into sleep mode or just say no signal/hdmi and nothing fixes it unti I restart the computer.

2nd thing is that it randomly freezes, like a freeze as freeze, nothing moving on the screen, proper frozen. NO BSOD or anything. Just a completely frozen screen. Until you restart it, except that freeze also works can happen on the start up parts, it even happened to me in the bios once.

Anyone have any ideas?

According to them they only started happening yesterday.

The random freezes sounds like an SSD failing or something.

Socreges

Banned
Protocol. Is IPv6 there?

Also try connecting to your router and check your DHCP settings there.

Reinstall TCP/IP stack: command "netsh int ip reset"

For manual config: connect to your wifi and run "ipconfig /all" from a command window; look at your IP and other settings. Then go to the properties of IPv4 on the Ethernet adapter of the computer having issues. Manually enter everything, choosing an IP where the last number is slightly different from the one you have on WiFi.

Copy the subnet mask, default gateway, DNS servers as they appear in the command window.

Hit OK.
IPv6 is there, yes. But when I try to install either IPv4 or v6 with Protocol, I have nothing to select from. Do I actually need to use the motherboard CD that came with it to install? Or am I doing something else wrong?

For manual config, are you saying I should (after entering the Wifi IP address with the last number slightly different) copy to subnet mask, default gateway, DNS server from what it says under Wi-Fi? Or from what it says under Ethernet adapter? Presumably the former, but just want to confirm

Many thanks

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just put in an order for these parts:

ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero (WI-FI AC)
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Corsair LPX 32GB DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit
MSI CPU Cooler, Silver/Black (Core Frozr L)

It's going to be replacing an old i5 2500k build that I've been using alongside my 1080p G-Sync gaming machine (6700k, GTX 1080) mainly for photo and video editing and such.

I'll be using it with a GTX 970 until the Vega cards come out. Going with Vega since I'm using a Viewsonic 60hz 4K FreeSync monitor with it.

Gotta say, I'm kind of excited about being back in the AMD camp. I haven't used an AMD processor since like 2006.

Damn, the installation and Windows setup went smoothly, but for some reason I'm encountering system lockup issues. Can't tell if they are motherboard, RAM, or CPU related. I've had multiple freezes trying to install drivers and other software and even simply trying to go into Device Manager. I even once got a BSOD with the :( face that said something about "clock_watchdog_timeout."

Doesn't seem to be temps. According to Core Temp, I'm getting around 20 ~ 30 celsius idling in Windows.

I'm trying to work on updating all of the drivers and Windows 10 itself before I really investigate. Freezing issues sure do suck!

Jarnet87

The Hyper X Cloud series are great for their price, so I would say it depends on what you are looking for in a headset. If you want good sound, microphone, build quality, comfort and a warranty at an affordable price it's hard to go wrong with the brand.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I have an AB350 Gaming K4 mobo with 3 fan headers. I also have a Fractal Define R5 with fan control for 3 fans. Sooooo, basically, I can have 3 fans? Can I have a double fan at the front or something?

I just downloaded a new bios update for my asus b350 strix MOBO and now I am able to reach RAM speed of 3066 (before max was 2933) on my 3200 hynix trident rgb memory. we are slowly getting there ryzen people

horkrux

Seems like a RAM issue to me, but since you also have problems with the picture, I'd say the GPU is simply failing.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The Hyper X Cloud series are great for their price, so I would say it depends on what you are looking for in a headset. If you want good sound, microphone, build quality, comfort and a warranty at an affordable price it's hard to go wrong with the brand.

I know they're good I'm just wondering if they're a big leap from what I have as they still work fine.

Quick question . I have a ryzen 5 1600 16gb ram 3066 and GTX 1080. I test furmark and I Can get 120fps , 100ish on cinebench.
My monitor is a Sony 60hz, full HD (PS3 display).
I enabled the fps counter from steam, and loaded the Dishonored 1. The maximum fps I can get is 60. Is that because the monitor is 60hz and caps the fps ?

kevin1025

Banned
Quick question . I have a ryzen 5 1600 16gb ram 3066 and GTX 1080. I test furmark and I Can get 120fps , 100ish on cinebench.
My monitor is a Sony 60hz, full HD (PS3 display).
I enabled the fps counter from steam, and loaded the Dishonored 1. The maximum fps I can get is 60. Is that because the monitor is 60hz and caps the fps ?

I'm guessing, but it could be that Vsync is enabled!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, the installation and Windows setup went smoothly, but for some reason I'm encountering system lockup issues. Can't tell if they are motherboard, RAM, or CPU related. I've had multiple freezes trying to install drivers and other software and even simply trying to go into Device Manager. I even once got a BSOD with the :( face that said something about "clock_watchdog_timeout."

Doesn't seem to be temps. According to Core Temp, I'm getting around 20 ~ 30 celsius idling in Windows.

I'm trying to work on updating all of the drivers and Windows 10 itself before I really investigate. Freezing issues sure do suck!

As far as I can tell the clock_watchdog_timeout is an issue with Windows 10 not being able to handle Ryzen multithreading. Some people are saying I can just update to the latest version to fix, while others are saying I need to download the latest and create a boot disk, then do a fresh install with it.

Working on updating to the Creators Update now. Hope it fixes my problems.

gogojira

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/snorachalorach/saved/#view=y6kCJx

How does this look overall, any thoughts:

CPU: i7 7700K
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
MB: MSI Z270
GPU: MSI SC2 1080ti
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200
Storage: Samsung 960 500GB and HDD 1TB
Case: NZXT s340
PSU: 650w

All that plus Win 10 Pro puts me at like $1900, which I can do but seems a little high considering the various parts lists I've seen, lol. I like the specs, but wondering if there is anything unnecessary here or something I can dial back (I do want W10 Pro). I'm thinking maybe cutting the SSD in half.

First thing I'd recommend is making sure that you configure the RAM to "safe" setting, i.e. 2133 Mhz with the respective JEDEC timings. Could also be bad RAM. If they issues are not gone after setting the RAM to those settings, run Memtest86+ for a couple of hours and see if you get errors.

3x0

Neo Member
As far as I can tell the clock_watchdog_timeout is an issue with Windows 10 not being able to handle Ryzen multithreading. Some people are saying I can just update to the latest version to fix, while others are saying I need to download the latest and create a boot disk, then do a fresh install with it.

Working on updating to the Creators Update now. Hope it fixes my problems.

If it doesn't, use bluescreenview from nirsoft to see information about the BSOD.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/snorachalorach/saved/#view=y6kCJx

How does this look overall, any thoughts:

CPU: i7 7700K
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
MB: MSI Z270
GPU: MSI SC2 1080ti
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200
Storage: Samsung 960 500GB and HDD 1TB
Case: NZXT s340
PSU: 650w

All that plus Win 10 Pro puts me at like $1900, which I can do but seems a little high considering the various parts lists I've seen, lol. I like the specs, but wondering if there is anything unnecessary here or something I can dial back (I do want W10 Pro). I'm thinking maybe cutting the SSD in half.
Why the NH-D14 instead of the newer NH-D15? It has better RAM compatibility. If the sole usage is playing games then it's great. If you're using it for heavier workloads in addition to gaming get a Ryzen equivalent.

gogojira

If it doesn't, use bluescreenview from nirsoft to see information about the BSOD.

Why the NH-D14 instead of the newer NH-D15? It has better RAM compatibility. If the sole usage is playing games then it's great. If you're using it for heavier workloads in addition to gaming get a Ryzen equivalent.

Thanks, I'll swap to the NH-D15. That was ignorance on my part. So, it's 90 percent gaming but will run VMs from time to time for some work related stuff. But with it primarily being a game rig and seeing in most tests that the 7700K seems to outperform it, I opted for it.

I could swap, certainly not a fanboy of either side, just looking for the best parts. This thing will end up lasting me a looooong time ideally. I typically don't upgrade for about 5-6 years at least.

d[-_-]b;245546598 said:
Whats the recommended GPU, 480 RX seems to be sold out everywhere, I presume due to bitmining or people hoarding.

Depends on your intended performance. For 1080p60 the RX 580 or GTX 1060 are recommended, though yes, mining has eaten into the supplies of both.

3x0

Neo Member
Thanks, I'll swap to the NH-D15. That was ignorance on my part. So, it's 90 percent gaming but will run VMs from time to time for some work related stuff. But with it primarily being a game rig and seeing in most tests that the 7700K seems to outperform it, I opted for it.

I could swap, certainly not a fanboy of either side, just looking for the best parts. This thing will end up lasting me a looooong time ideally. I typically don't upgrade for about 5-6 years at least.
In that case you're fine with the 7700k unless you stumble upon some cheaper deal on a Ryzen equivalent R7 1700 and X370 MoBo.

gogojira

So going R7 1700 is roughly equivalent? I think I was looking at it before. If I can shed a few bucks and have a comparable machine, I'd happily switch.

3x0

Neo Member
Yes, the R7 1700 is a rough equivalent to the 7700K. There were some R7 1700 + AM4 MoBo combo deals in Microcenter I think, but I'm not from the US (I'm assuming you are) so you'll have to look around the web for such info.
You can see pure gaming benchmarks here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDvk9_iTq6Y

The R7 1700 is an 8 core 16 thread processor compared to 7700k 4 core 8 thread, which means you could assign more cores to the VMs.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This is a very beginner question, but:

The R5 1600 comes with a cooler, while the R5 1600X does not. If I don't plan on overclocking, would I need to buy a cooler for the 1600X? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I just wanted to confirm.

gogojira

Yes, the R7 1700 is a rough equivalent to the 7700K. There were some R7 1700 + AM4 MoBo combo deals in Microcenter I think, but I'm not from the US (I'm assuming you are) so you'll have to look around the web for such info.
You can see pure gaming benchmarks here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDvk9_iTq6Y

The R7 1700 is an 8 core 16 thread processor compared to 7700k 4 core 8 thread, which means you could assign more cores to the VMs.

Thanks for all the help!

3x0

Neo Member
@kirbyfan407
Yes.
The 1600 is a better deal, since it comes with a cooler. The difference in frequency isn't worth the increase in price of the 1600x + a separate cooler.

The R5 1600 comes with a cooler, while the R5 1600X does not. If I don't plan on overclocking, would I need to buy a cooler for the 1600X? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I just wanted to confirm.

Yes. Never ever run a CPU without a cooler of any kind.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. Never ever run a CPU without a cooler of any kind.

As the previous poster said, CPUs need cooling and some motherboards won't even get past the POST unless it detects a CPU fan.

Thanks!

@kirbyfan407
Yes.
The 1600 is a better deal, since it comes with a cooler. The difference in frequency isn't worth the increase in price of the 1600x + a separate cooler.

Yes, this is what I'm realizing. Thanks for your input.

I'm seeing some pretty good prices on the R5 1600 right now, but I don't have any other pieces of my computer and don't know when I'll get around to buying them. I wish the GTX 1060 prices and stock situation would settle down.

Ieu

As the previous poster said, CPUs need cooling and some motherboards won't even get past the POST unless it detects a CPU fan.

Voidwolf

Need some help PCGaf

I've been experiencing game crashes every now and then on my new PC, tried various games because at first I thought it was the game itself since its known to be a bad port on PC (Nier Automata) but I got a blue screen while playing Battlefront 2015 which has never given me issues. I put together the computer last weekend with my 970 and I got my 1080Ti and sleeved cables from corsair in this week and added that stuff in a couple of days ago. Now, when I put in the 1080Ti, I didn't uninstall drivers, I checked for an update through Geforce Experience and it said my drivers were good.

Blue screen said IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and since then the computer won't start at all. I read online that this has to do with drivers not working. Could it be because I didn't uninstall my drivers from the 970 when I swapped in the 1080Ti? I figured it would change it automatically if it wasn't compatible.

Mobo, and GPU light up for a second and then it shuts off. I also have a Corsair H100i v2 which normally has the Corsair name and logo light up in white, it flashes red instead when the pc fails to power on.

I tried starting the pc with just one stick of RAM at a time and it didn't work. Tried it without the GPU,with the 970 and with an older GPU I have, didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Specs:
i7-7470x
32GB DDR4 - G.Skill TridentZ RGB
1080Ti - Asus ROG Strix
X299-E Mobo - Asus ROG Strix
HX850i PSU
Samsung Evo 840 500GB SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

3x0

Neo Member
Download bluescreenview from nirsoft to see the specifics of the BSOD like the faulting driver and parameter 1.
Try using DDU (display driver uninstaller) to remove any traces of the GPU driver and reinstall the latest one.
Edit: Whoops, didn't read the entire post. Check whether the new cables are faulty, or if you've correctly plugged them in.
Specs:
i7-7470x
1080Ti - Asus ROG Strix
HX850i PSU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I think you're the first person I've seen on the net that actually uses a 7740X and a X299 MoBo... :p

Dipswitch

Question: Just ordered a CORSAIR RMx Series RM650X 650W 80 PLUS GOLD PS for a new Ryzen 1800x/Threadripper 1900x build. It had a $30 rebate, so figured I'd strike ahead of my main build activities.

However, I noticed it wasn't an Active PFC PS. My last build featured an Active PFC PS, but damned if I could tell if there was any benefit. The Cyberpower UPS I connect it to also supports Active PFC power supplies, but I'm assuming it supports regular power supplies as well.

Should I care?

Voidwolf

Download bluescreenview from nirsoft to see the specifics of the BSOD like the faulting driver and parameter 1.
Try using DDU (display driver uninstaller) to remove any traces of the GPU driver and reinstall the latest one.
Edit: Whoops, didn't read the entire post. Check whether the new cables are faulty, or if you've correctly plugged them in.

Yeah the cables are plugged in right and I've reseated them, I'll try another set just in case tho.

b3b0p

Purpose

Home server, NAS/backup/Time Machine replacement (it's getting a little old and I have zero space), HTPC, Steam/gaming

Notes

Placement will be near/under TV (wall mounted).

Prefer to be able to use a wireless keyboard and mouse to play my Steam backlog and control any media functions. Not sure about a decent keyboard and mouse combination.

Not concerned about the best graphical fidelity, but don't want to worry about compatibility or not enough power to play anything. If it can run a high requirement game at 480p @ 60 frames and can do Dolphin / PCSX nearly lag-less input with smooth framerates, I'm smiling.

Would like to be able to run Linux without issues.

Quiet and attractive/small footprint is ideal. Something akin to the Mac mini size and decimal level would be pretty sublime.

No fancy lights or Windows.

As hassle free as possible.

Is there a better case perhaps? I'm willing to spend extra on items such as the case or anything to make it smaller, visually appealing since it's placement will be in the open, and quiet as possible.

Is there better, more nimble, appropriate keyboard and mouse?

Are there issues with heat I'm not considering?

Not sure I trust PC Part Picker's compatibility check.

Very much open to suggestions to improve as I haven't built a PC in over a decade.

PC Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7Rp4LD

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($308.87 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.02 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($168.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($309.00 @ Adorama)
Case: Lian-Li - PC-Q33B Mini ITX Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.90 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($137.89 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Logitech - K750 Wireless Slim Keyboard ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - G602 Wireless Optical Mouse ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1647.12

Voidwolf

Need some help PCGaf

I've been experiencing game crashes every now and then on my new PC, tried various games because at first I thought it was the game itself since its known to be a bad port on PC (Nier Automata) but I got a blue screen while playing Battlefront 2015 which has never given me issues. I put together the computer last weekend with my 970 and I got my 1080Ti and sleeved cables from corsair in this week and added that stuff in a couple of days ago. Now, when I put in the 1080Ti, I didn't uninstall drivers, I checked for an update through Geforce Experience and it said my drivers were good.

Blue screen said IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and since then the computer won't start at all. I read online that this has to do with drivers not working. Could it be because I didn't uninstall my drivers from the 970 when I swapped in the 1080Ti? I figured it would change it automatically if it wasn't compatible.

Mobo, and GPU light up for a second and then it shuts off. I also have a Corsair H100i v2 which normally has the Corsair name and logo light up in white, it flashes red instead when the pc fails to power on.

I tried starting the pc with just one stick of RAM at a time and it didn't work. Tried it without the GPU,with the 970 and with an older GPU I have, didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Specs:
i7-7470x
1080Ti - Asus ROG Strix
HX850i PSU
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Quoting for new page.

Tried with different cables and still nothing. Can't even reinstall windows as the damn thing won't stay on for more than a second.

Top Bottom