• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Quoting for new page.

Tried with different cables and still nothing. Can't even reinstall windows as the damn thing won't stay on for more than a second.

Unplug everything but the essentials. Some motherboards have diagnostic LEDs or displays, see if yours does to help you troubleshoot it. Try resetting the CMOS?

Are you overclocking?

Voidwolf

Unplug everything but the essentials. Some motherboards have diagnostic LEDs or displays, see if yours does to help you troubleshoot it. Try resetting the CMOS?

Are you overclocking?

No not overclocking, I did have the XMP enabled in order to get the ram to 3200 (that's the base speed of the set I bought) but I set it back to the mobo's default when I started running into issues but that wasn't the issue since this happened some time afterwards. I had tested the RAM with memtest86 in both configurations to make sure it was okay. I'm unplugging everything now.

What is the best way to check for peaks of cpu temperature to make sure it is not overheating ?
I use hwmonitor or ryzen master , then load cinebench ? Or Aida 64?

I overclocked my ryzen 5 1600 to 3700hz. On Aida 64, the tem runs around 40-50, on cinebench it can go as high as 72c. Is that ok ?

Any other testing I should do ?

The iddle temps are 35 to 40

3x0

Neo Member
What is the best way to check for peaks of cpu temperature to make sure it is not overheating ?
I use hwmonitor or ryzen master , then load cinebench ? Or Aida 64?

I overclocked my ryzen 5 1600 to 3700hz. On Aida 64, the tem runs around 40-50, on cinebench it can go as high as 72c. Is that ok ?

Any other testing I should do ?

The iddle temps are 35 to 40

For a realistic load try RealBench stress test (not the benchmark part) http://dlcdnmkt.asus.com/rog/RealBench_v2.54.zip
Set it to 15 minutes and 8GB RAM if you have 16GB installed.

The temps are highly dependent on voltage (rather than frequency), the ambient temps and the CPU cooler, so it's not really possible to answer "Is it okay?" precisely, but the temps are relatively OK for a stock AMD cooler on a warm day.
HWiNFO is a good alternative to run in the background and log peak temps.

For a realistic load try RealBench stress test (not the benchmark part) http://dlcdnmkt.asus.com/rog/RealBench_v2.54.zip
Set it to 15 minutes and 8GB RAM if you have 16GB installed.

The temps are highly dependent on voltage (rather than frequency), the ambient temps and the CPU cooler, so it's not really possible to answer "Is it okay?" precisely, but the temps are relatively OK for a stock AMD cooler on a warm day.
HWiNFO is a good alternative to run in the background and log peak temps.

Mine went as high as 86, I stopped , I was afraid. My voltage is set automatically to 1.375 by my Asus b350 board, but I can't manually change. There is only a offset option, and I have no idea how to decrease the voltage using offset

Well damn, I reset the CMOS and now it's worse. If I plug it in it just continuously turns on and off.

My original issue.

After the CMOS reset.

Could be a busted PSU. Double check all cables are seated properly: ATX 24 pin, ATX 8 pin, power for GPU.

Do you have another PSU you could swap in to test it out? Or maybe post some pics of the interior, in case there's a little gotcha...

Are all the standoffs inserted correctly (in case it's shorting somewhere)?

edit: did you update the bios or anything? were you overclocking the CPU?

edit2: it looks like your board can take a 4pin ATX as well. Check your manual and see what it says about that maybe.

FHIZ

Well, after yesterday's building, today was setup and god damn am I happy.

i7 7700k + Asus Strix 1080ti OC is what I built around, then got a ROG Swift G-sync monitor to go with it. Pricy as hell, but so worth it.

Got #6 in my first full match of PUBG and now I'm screwing around with Witcher 3 with ultra settings, averaging around 100fps. So, so, so good.

Mine went as high as 86, I stopped , I was afraid. My voltage is set automatically to 1.375 by my Asus b350 board, but I can't manually change. There is only a offset option, and I have no idea how to decrease the voltage using offset

What board do you have? ASUS B350 what?

What CPU do you have and did you overclock it?

Voidwolf

Could be a busted PSU. Double check all cables are seated properly: ATX 24 pin, ATX 8 pin, power for GPU.

Do you have another PSU you could swap in to test it out? Or maybe post some pics of the interior, in case there's a little gotcha...

Are all the standoffs inserted correctly (in case it's shorting somewhere)?

edit: did you update the bios or anything? were you overclocking the CPU?

edit2: it looks like your board can take a 4pin ATX as well. Check your manual and see what it says about that maybe.
Hey thanks for the reply, I'm on the computer now. I had reset the CMOS using the jumper pins but what I did after was take out the battery for like 5 minutes. It's up and running now but I want to completely wipe the nvidia drivers and reinstall them. They keep installing immediately though even when I choose to delete the drivers from the device manager.

Edit: Removed it through Control Panel after deleting the drivers from device manager, gonna restart now and reinstall.

The manual said I could just plug in the 8 pin, I had tried with the 4 pin as well during this whole debacle but it didn't change anything.

Hey thanks for the reply, I'm on the computer now. I had reset the CMOS using the jumper pins but what I did after was take out the battery for like 5 minutes. It's up and running now but I want to completely wipe the nvidia drivers and reinstall them. They keep installing immediately though even when I choose to delete the drivers from the device manager.

Edit: Removed it through Control Panel after deleting the drivers from device manager, gonna restart now and reinstall.

The manual said I could just plug in the 8 pin, I had tried with the 4 pin as well during this whole debacle but it didn't change anything.

Glad to hear it worked out.

What board do you have? ASUS B350 what?

What CPU do you have and did you overclock it?

Asus b350 strix, ryzen 5 1600, and I went to 370 from a base of 3200

It was much better when I was at 1.275 voltage, but after the bios update Asus automatically bumped the core voltage of the overclock to 1.375, that is why the temp is higher. There is no manual option to lower to voltage, just offset or auto. I don't know how to decrease the voltage down to 1.27 or 1.3 using offset. If my auto voltage is 1.375, how do I decrease to 1.3 with offset? Plus or minus sign? How much? No idea

Branson

Well, after yesterday's building, today was setup and god damn am I happy.

i7 7700k + Asus Strix 1080ti OC is what I built around, then got a ROG Swift G-sync monitor to go with it. Pricy as hell, but so worth it.

Got #6 in my first full match of PUBG and now I'm screwing around with Witcher 3 with ultra settings, averaging around 100fps. So, so, so good.
This should be me soon. Just have to pull the trigger money wise.

Asus b350 strix, ryzen 5 1600, and I went to 370 from a base of 3200

It was much better when I was at 1.275 voltage, but after the bios update Asus automatically bumped the core voltage of the overclock to 1.375, that is why the temp is higher. There is no manual option to lower to voltage, just offset or auto. I don't know how to decrease the voltage down to 1.27 or 1.3 using offset. If my auto voltage is 1.375, how do I decrease to 1.3 with offset? Plus or minus sign? How much? No idea

There has to be a way to lower your voltage. 1.375 V is insanely high for a 3.7GHz clock. I'm on a Ryzen 1700 at 3.7GHz at 1.275 V.

Lemme Google it and I'll get back to you tonight.

Check this video at 22:40 or so. It starts talking about CPU overclocking. There are options there for Manual CPU voltage or offset voltages. Either would work.

There has to be a way to lower your voltage. 1.375 V is insanely high for a 3.7GHz clock. I'm on a Ryzen 1700 at 3.7GHz at 1.275 V.

Lemme Google it and I'll get back to you tonight.

Check this video at 22:40 or so. It starts talking about CPU overclocking. There are options there for Manual CPU voltage or offset voltages. Either would work.
My Mobo does not have manual mode, just auto and offset. I will try using negative offset and see.

Socreges

Banned
IPv6 is there, yes. But when I try to install either IPv4 or v6 with Protocol, I have nothing to select from. Do I actually need to use the motherboard CD that came with it to install? Or am I doing something else wrong?

For manual config, are you saying I should (after entering the Wifi IP address with the last number slightly different) copy to subnet mask, default gateway, DNS server from what it says under Wi-Fi? Or from what it says under Ethernet adapter? Presumably the former, but just want to confirm

Many thanks
OK now when I try to install I'm clicking on Have Disk, c:/windows/inf, getting to what I need to install, and being blocked by group policy. Baffling since I'm the administrator

Voidwolf

Windows 10 reset froze at 31%, Windows 7 install disc I had just blue screens.

Gonna start the RMA process I guess.

Croc

Banned
For manual config, are you saying I should (after entering the Wifi IP address with the last number slightly different) copy to subnet mask, default gateway, DNS server from what it says under Wi-Fi? Or from what it says under Ethernet adapter? Presumably the former, but just want to confirm

Many thanks

Subnet mask, default gateway and DNS will be the same for both adapters, so those you can copy values from either one.

But you still don't have IPv4 showing installed, right? So when you do ipconfig, are you showing a value for "IPv4 Address"?

So, built this PC about 4 years ago. I'm pretty sure these are all the parts I have, not sure of the PSU though. I'm wanting to upgrade some stuff, so what would be the first thing or two to upgrade to get the biggest boost?

CPU: Intel - Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($275.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card

Graphics card.

But if you plan on something serious, you should confirm your PSU's max output. Normally you can see just by looking at it.

Depending on what resolution/quality you're aiming for, an overclock of that CPU and a solid GPU upgrade should put you in good shape.

So, built this PC about 4 years ago. I'm pretty sure these are all the parts I have, not sure of the PSU though. I'm wanting to upgrade some stuff, so what would be the first thing or two to upgrade to get the biggest boost?

First would be to overclock your CPU and replace the GPU.

Ah sorry, I thought the video I linked was for your mobo, but I see I was mistaken. I have never used offsets so I can't advise you there, but I think that's what you'll need to do.

It was for for the x370 version , although the title of the video says b350 as well. B350 has no option to manually input voltage.

Before I changed to offset, my ryzen 5 1600 voltage was 1.375 on 3700 clock, and temps were high, on realbench test (15min really intense test, way more severe than cinebench ), within 5 min my temp peaked at 86 c and I had to stop.

I changed the clock to 3600, and used offset -0.01875. now my voltage ranges around 1.2 to 1.45. I ran the test and the peak temp was only 75 c and I was able to run the entire 15 min test. Iddle is around 35 to 40, and I am running Aida 64 for the past hour and temps don't go higher than 45. Not bad for a stoxk cooler.

Do you think I would be able to push a bit more ? Is 75 C during peak 15 minstress a god temp ? Thanks again

Renekton

1. GPU (eg GTX1070)

2. DDR3-2133 memory

Croc

Banned
Awesome, thanks for the input guys. I figured GPU would be first but I was hoping not considering ridiculous prices lately lol

Socreges

Banned
Subnet mask, default gateway and DNS will be the same for both adapters, so those you can copy values from either one.

But you still don't have IPv4 showing installed, right? So when you do ipconfig, are you showing a value for "IPv4 Address"?
OK so get this

I matched the values, like you said. Copied the wifi values for IPv4. Restarted everything. Nothing doing. So I changed it back to the default (obtain automatically). Restarted. Ethernet works! Finally! But wifi didn't. 🤔

So I restarted the modem and router again. Waited.

Wifi works again! But now Ethernet doesn't. 😖

I don't even know what to say.

Also, IPv4 is not installed. But it does show a value under Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. Don't know if that makes sense or not.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
First thing I'd recommend is making sure that you configure the RAM to "safe" setting, i.e. 2133 Mhz with the respective JEDEC timings. Could also be bad RAM. If they issues are not gone after setting the RAM to those settings, run Memtest86+ for a couple of hours and see if you get errors.

If it doesn't, use bluescreenview from nirsoft to see information about the BSOD.

Thanks a lot! So far, after the creator's update, I haven't had any freezes with uptime of around 5 hours now. Hopefully this means the problem is sorted, but I will try those ideas if things go south again.

It was for for the x370 version , although the title of the video says b350 as well. B350 has no option to manually input voltage.

Before I changed to offset, my ryzen 5 1600 voltage was 1.375 on 3700 clock, and temps were high, on realbench test (15min really intense test, way more severe than cinebench ), within 5 min my temp peaked at 86 c and I had to stop.

I changed the clock to 3600, and used offset -0.01875. now my voltage ranges around 1.2 to 1.45. I ran the test and the peak temp was only 75 c and I was able to run the entire 15 min test. Iddle is around 35 to 40, and I am running Aida 64 for the past hour and temps don't go higher than 45. Not bad for a stoxk cooler.

Do you think I would be able to push a bit more ? Is 75 C during peak 15 minstress a god temp ? Thanks again

I think 75C peak in Aida 64 is good. Was it still climbing when you stopped? Anyway, I think going for 3700 MHz at the same offset wouldn't be unreasonable, but monitor temps and check stability the same way. It definitely seems like fiddling with the offset is exactly what you need as that looks much better than before you set that -0.01875 offset.

We're looking to finally get a second PC in the office, dedicated to dev streams and UE4/Lumberyard work. Guide my hand, oh TechGAF.

Budget: $2000 - $3000 USD
Main Use:
5. Rendering and general game dev processes, multi-tasking (Adobe Premiere, Twitch, Word, Photoshop), engines (Unity, UE4, Lumberyard)
4. Video editing
3. Streaming
2. Gaming
1. 3D/Model work (Maya, Blender, Spine)
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, but looking into curved monitors 30 inch or higher.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Unreal Engine 4, Lumberyard, Twitch
When will you build?: Black Friday/Cyber Monday
Will you be overclocking?: No [does this mean we're safe for i9?]

I think 75C peak in Aida 64 is good. Was it still climbing when you stopped? Anyway, I think going for 3700 MHz at the same offset wouldn't be unreasonable, but monitor temps and check stability the same way. It definitely seems like fiddling with the offset is exactly what you need as that looks much better than before you set that -0.01875 offset.

75 peak was on the realbench software, not Aida 64. Aida 64 does not go above 50 so far

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know when we can expect online retailers to put up Vega GPUs for purchase? Will there be a pre-purchase period or will everything just come up on August 14th?

OK so get this

I matched the values, like you said. Copied the wifi values for IPv4. Restarted everything. Nothing doing. So I changed it back to the default (obtain automatically). Restarted. Ethernet works! Finally! But wifi didn't. 🤔

So I restarted the modem and router again. Waited.

Wifi works again! But now Ethernet doesn't. 😖

I don't even know what to say.

Also, IPv4 is not installed. But it does show a value under Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. Don't know if that makes sense or not.

Joys of networking issues. Try hooking up directly and bypassing the router.

Celcius

°Temp. member
For any of you running an Asus z270 ROG motherboard, just a heads up that 2 days ago they've released a new bios version 1009 to fix the skylake/kabylake hyperthreading issue (microcode bug that could cause unpredictable system behavior).
I never had any issues with my system but updated to have the latest bios anyway. Here are the official notes:

MAXIMUS IX HERO BIOS 1009
Improved device compatibility.
Update SKL/KBL CPU microcode.
Improve system performance and stability.
Improve system boot time.
Fixed Logitech device issue.
Fixed Hot-key function.

It can be downloaded from Asus' website.

Socreges

Banned
Joys of networking issues. Try hooking up directly and bypassing the router.
.....oh. uh. well.

Let me go check something

So I had it plugged into the modem, not the router. Could that be the source of all the troubles?

Fuck I'm an idiot. Funny that it occurred to me early on but I was like 'no this is right. Of course it plugs into the modem'

Thanks for your help, Play! Sorry for wasting your time

We're looking to finally get a second PC in the office, dedicated to dev streams and UE4/Lumberyard work. Guide my hand, oh TechGAF.

Budget: $2000 - $3000 USD
Main Use:
5. Rendering and general game dev processes, multi-tasking (Adobe Premiere, Twitch, Word, Photoshop), engines (Unity, UE4, Lumberyard)
4. Video editing
3. Streaming
2. Gaming
1. 3D/Model work (Maya, Blender, Spine)
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, but looking into curved monitors 30 inch or higher.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Unreal Engine 4, Lumberyard, Twitch
When will you build?: Black Friday/Cyber Monday
Will you be overclocking?: No [does this mean we're safe for i9?]

You might want to look into the 1950X Threadripper, the 1920X Threadripper, or the Ryzen 1700.

jett

D-Member
One of my GPU's fans started rattling. :( This sucks. My PC used to be whisper quiet. Is there anything I can do or do I have shell out for a new card.

jett

D-Member
Have you tried cleaning it first?

I did! It seemed to work for a few days (or maybe I imagined it), then it started again. Then I took out the GPU to look at the fans more thoroughly, confirmed it was the middle fan (it has a Windforce Gigabyte thing with three fans) that was making the noise, put it back in. Now it seems to be worse lol. Gah.

It's a 280X. Considering replacing it with a 1060 solely because of this issue. :p

I did! It seemed to work for a few days (or maybe I imagined it), then it started again. Then I took out the GPU to look at the fans more thoroughly, confirmed it was the middle fan (it has a Windforce Gigabyte thing with three fans) that was making the noise, put it back in. Now it seems to be worse lol. Gah.

It's a 280X. Considering replacing it with a 1060 solely because of this issue. :p

Lubriate the fan maybe? Or just replace the fan?

RS4-

Ah in that case it could be the bearings or whatever. I think you'd have to take off the shroud to get access to the cabling/bearing if you want to try and fix it yourself.

Have you tried changing the fan speeds? Check if the problem persists between low, default, and higher rpm.

BasicMath

Quick question: How much can I get for a 5820k + X99 motherboard (MSI Gaming 7)?
Also 4GBx8 Sticks of Corsair's DDR4 2666 RAM.

Just want to get an idea more or less.

Top Bottom