• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

ocean

Banned
We're looking to finally get a second PC in the office, dedicated to dev streams and UE4/Lumberyard work. Guide my hand, oh TechGAF.

Budget: $2000 - $3000 USD
Main Use:
5. Rendering and general game dev processes, multi-tasking (Adobe Premiere, Twitch, Word, Photoshop), engines (Unity, UE4, Lumberyard)
4. Video editing
3. Streaming
2. Gaming
1. 3D/Model work (Maya, Blender, Spine)
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, but looking into curved monitors 30 inch or higher.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Unreal Engine 4, Lumberyard, Twitch
When will you build?: Black Friday/Cyber Monday
Will you be overclocking?: No [does this mean we're safe for i9?]

Rip some threads. Did this for fun :p

By the time you build there will probably be better priced motherboard options. With luck RAM and GPUs will have gone down too but there's no telling with those.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor ($999.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Liquid Freezer 240 74.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($81.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX TR4 Motherboard ($353.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($260.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Turbo Video Card ($709.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $2974.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-07 02:44 EDT-0400

Need some help PCGaf

I've been experiencing game crashes every now and then on my new PC, tried various games because at first I thought it was the game itself since its known to be a bad port on PC (Nier Automata) but I got a blue screen while playing Battlefront 2015 which has never given me issues. I put together the computer last weekend with my 970 and I got my 1080Ti and sleeved cables from corsair in this week and added that stuff in a couple of days ago. Now, when I put in the 1080Ti, I didn't uninstall drivers, I checked for an update through Geforce Experience and it said my drivers were good.

Blue screen said IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and since then the computer won't start at all. I read online that this has to do with drivers not working. Could it be because I didn't uninstall my drivers from the 970 when I swapped in the 1080Ti? I figured it would change it automatically if it wasn't compatible.

Mobo, and GPU light up for a second and then it shuts off. I also have a Corsair H100i v2 which normally has the Corsair name and logo light up in white, it flashes red instead when the pc fails to power on.

I tried starting the pc with just one stick of RAM at a time and it didn't work. Tried it without the GPU,with the 970 and with an older GPU I have, didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Specs:
i7-7470x
32GB DDR4 - G.Skill TridentZ RGB
1080Ti - Asus ROG Strix
X299-E Mobo - Asus ROG Strix
HX850i PSU
Samsung Evo 840 500GB SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Do you have another CPU cooler you can try? I had a month-old H100i v2 fail on me last year and produce exactly the symptoms you're experiencing. Good luck!

Just cross posting from the B/S/T in case anyone is interested. As obviously people are building and looking to save some money in here. Only the Mobo has been used, and for two months.

WTS GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce X3 graphics card $480 shipped

Ended up getting this... Then not a day later deciding to buy the 1080ti on sale because that's what I really wanted XD

Brand New, sealed. Looking for $480. .
Intel G4560 1151 processor (New/Sealed) $70+SH [/B]

WTS Asrock H170A-X1 Motherboard 1151 socket Great for a new gaming build. Used for two months kind of infrequently. Ended up getting a different Mobo during a deal that can support a lot more PCI lanes. Asking $65.
13-157-683-01.jpg

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157683

Easy Breezy

Neo Member
GAF should I go with the 1070 or 1080, is the extra $200-250 really worth it if I'm not interested in 4k or VR? I bought a Dell S2417DG on impulse a few days ago as it was about $220 off so would a 1070 have no problems at running at that resolution (2560 x 1440‎) at a stable fps?

GAF should I go with the 1070 or 1080, is the extra $200-250 really worth it if I'm not interested in 4k or VR? I bought a Dell S2417DG on impulse a few days ago as it was about $220 off so would a 1070 have no problems at running at that resolution (2560 x 1440‎) at a stable fps?

You should be able to hit 1440p/60fps on medium to high settings on most games. You won't be able to take advantage of the 144Hz/165Hz capabilities of your new monitor at 1440p, however, but I don't know if that's really a big issue.

If you got a 1070, you should be able to play 1440p/60fps/med-to-high, and with GSync enabled, it'll be even better. What games do you play heavily? You should check 1440p benchmarks for a 1070 for your specific game of choice before you pull the trigger, IMO. I'll say, a 1080 at 1440p is "worth it" in my opinion, but I also feel a 1070 is good enough if you aren't chasing >60 FPS.

the price difference between a 1070 and 1080 is not that much. You can find gtx 1080 for around $460-500 (user above you is selling for $480), while the 1070 currently you can't find for anything less than $360-380 (new I am talking about)

enewtabie

I have that monitor but its the 27" version. I play everything at Ultra or high with my EVGA 1070 FTW. I don't get less than 60 on any games unless its something like Ghost Wildlands and that was garbage in the beginning. I usually range from 70/80-100 plus depending on what I'm playing .Doom/BF1 run pretty high I also play VR on Occulus Rift with no issues.

FHIZ

Quick question, I've got an Asus board w/ g skill RGB RAM, and after stumbling into the Ryzen thread last night I found out about the issue where you use G Skill's lighting and Asus aura together and it could corrupt the RAM.

Is this still something to worry about? Is it only on AMD boards (I've got intel) and if I've only used Aura and haven't even installed G skill's software would I be safe?

Easy Breezy

Neo Member
Thanks for the quick responses.

You should be able to hit 1440p/60fps on medium to high settings on most games. You won't be able to take advantage of the 144Hz/165Hz capabilities of your new monitor at 1440p, however, but I don't know if that's really a big issue.

If you got a 1070, you should be able to play 1440p/60fps/med-to-high, and with GSync enabled, it'll be even better. What games do you play heavily? You should check 1440p benchmarks for a 1070 for your specific game of choice before you pull the trigger, IMO. I'll say, a 1080 at 1440p is "worth it" in my opinion, but I also feel a 1070 is good enough if you aren't chasing >60 FPS.

That's the thing, I've never been much of a pc gamer so the games I play are those that aren't normally available on consoles (mostly strategies/sims), mostly games that graphics and a high fps aren't massively important. Recently it was hearts of iron 4 that plays like crap on my current pc, but If I had a more capable pc I'd most likely expand my repertoire.

But if I'm not taking advantage of that monitor it seems like quite a waste of money (I can still return/refund it). I still play my Xbox on a 9 year old 720p TV lol, so I doubt res will bother me much.

the price difference between a 1070 and 1080 is not that much. You can find gtx 1080 for around $460-500 (user above you is selling for $480), while the 1070 currently you can't find for anything less than $360-380 (new I am talking about)

I'm in Australia and the price difference seems to average $200-250 depending on the store from what I've seen.

Voidwolf

Do you have another CPU cooler you can try? I had a month-old H100i v2 fail on me last year and produce exactly the symptoms you're experiencing. Good luck!

I have a H60 cooling my old build. But I'm not even sure if it'll fit this CPU bracket. In any case, I think it's a driver issue, that's what the BSOD errors pointed to. I had been monitoring my temps all week and ran several stress tests and the CPU and RAM were both fine, but I did change up the H100 connection just in case so the main connector is now on my mobo's AIO 4 pin and one of the radiator fans is on the CPU fan 4 pin.

I was able to reinstall Windows 10 last night, got all my drivers and updates installed, I'll test some games when I get home from work later. I'm hoping a bad driver is all it was. I suspect this was all due to the Nvidia driver and/or the Windows 10 Creator's Update not playing well. I installed the latest Nvidia driver and I thought deferring updates through settings would stop the Creator's Update from installing but when I woke up today it had installed itself overnight. So I may be back to square one, we'll see later today.

3x0

Neo Member
I was able to reinstall Windows 10 last night, got all my drivers and updates installed, I'll test some games when I get home from work later. I'm hoping a bad driver is all it was. I suspect this was all due to the Nvidia driver and/or the Windows 10 Creator's Update not playing well. I installed the latest Nvidia driver and I thought deferring updates through settings would stop the Creator's Update from installing but when I woke up today it had installed itself overnight. So I may be back to square one, we'll see later today.

The PC not being able to turn on is indicative of a hardware problem, not a driver/software one.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Specs:

GTX 970
8GB DDR4 2133 MHz RAM
i5-6600k 4.4GHz Overclocked
Intel Z170 Chipset

Question: Would it be worth getting a 1080/1080ti now, or just wait for the next iteration of cards?

I have a 1080p, 144hz G-Sync monitor, and a standard HD smart TV 1080p too

I'm not sure what changed, but when I restart my computer, it boots straight into the bios without me doing anything. I just exit and it starts up normally from there.

Anyone know why that would happen?

Arex

*update* now it's fine lol not sure what happened there XD

So I connected my old 1600x1200 HP monitor to use along side my 1080p Cintiq, and I notice my GTX 1080 clocks going up and down while idle now, where previously it'd be just flat 135Hz.

Anyone know what could be causing this? They're both 60Hz monitors I think.

ok, another rookie question guys.

What are the configs I need to change in terms of GPU to optimize my card and increase FPS?

I have a GTX 1080. I have no idea what to change in the nvidia experience, what to enable or disable. thanks

Specs:

GTX 970
8GB DDR4 2133 MHz RAM
i5-6600k 4.4GHz Overclocked
Intel Z170 Chipset

Question: Would it be worth getting a 1080/1080ti now, or just wait for the next iteration of cards?

I have a 1080p, 144hz G-Sync monitor, and a standard HD smart TV 1080p too

Depends how long you're sticking with that 1080p setup. 1080Tis and 11-series is/will be wasted horsepower for 1080p although they will certainly keep those framerates high.

If you're looking to move beyond 1080p soon then maybe eye a 1080Ti or wait for 11-series.

ok, another rookie question guys.

What are the configs I need to change in terms of GPU to optimize my card and increase FPS?

I have a GTX 1080. I have no idea what to change in the nvidia experience, what to enable or disable. thanks

There are a bunch of in-depth guides for tweaking with GeForce Experience including on a per-game basis, so just search for those.

Separate to that you'll want to overclock your card if you haven't already (MSI AfterBurner is good for that). That and the optimization in GE will make sure you're maximizing performance.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Depends how long you're sticking with that 1080p setup. 1080Tis and 11-series is/will be wasted horsepower for 1080p although they will certainly keep those framerates high.

If you're looking to move beyond 1080p soon then maybe eye a 1080Ti or wait for 11-series.

Monitor is newish so probably be about that 1080p life for a few years

Ecto311

Just ordered a 1050ti single fan 4gb version evga from Amazon warehouse deals for $150. Decent deal? Anyone have experience with their like new warehouse deals? It's the SC gaming version if that matters. It's replacing a 460gtx 1gb.

Gressmon

Banned
Hey gaffers, I planning on upgrade my CPU / RAM / MB combo (my old Asus P8P67 with Core i5 2500k is having trouble with Battlefield 1. Also I may have bricked my BIOS doing an upgrade from an ntfs drive), is this setup good for 1080p gaming with overclocked cpu ? There were many motherboard and rams to choose from so I'm not sure I picked the best ones for a middle-end system. I already have the Geforce 970, case, cooler and storage BTW.

PCPartPicker part list /
Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor (€292.94 @ Amazon France)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€59.90 @ Amazon France) (already have)
Motherboard: MSI - Z270 GAMING M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (already have)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (already have)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: €352.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-07 18:08 CEST+0200

kuYuri

Just ordered a 1050ti single fan 4gb version evga from Amazon warehouse deals for $150. Decent deal? Anyone have experience with their like new warehouse deals? It's the SC gaming version if that matters. It's replacing a 460gtx 1gb.

More or less normal price.

OK, I'm starting to narrow down my priorities when it comes to my next build. Priority number one is adobe premiere encoding performance. Priority number two is live streaming. So I'd like to find the best latest gen processor for premiere in the $500-700 range that's also pretty good for streaming. I've looked at different benchmark charts, but I can't figure out sometimes if I'm looking at older generation processors or not.

OK, I'm starting to narrow down my priorities when it comes to my next build. Priority number one is adobe premiere encoding performance. Priority number two is live streaming. So I'd like to find the best latest gen processor for premiere in the $500-700 range that's also pretty good for streaming. I've looked at different benchmark charts, but I can't figure out sometimes if I'm looking at older generation processors or not.

Well for Intel it'll be the i7-7820x and one of the Ryzen Threadrippers though not sure which one falls into that price-range on that side.

Well for Intel it'll be the i7-7820x and one of the Ryzen Threadrippers though not sure which one falls into that price-range on that side.
Thanks for the fast response. I came across this one and it looks like the premiere performance was the best compared to the other processors in that range, but then I looked it up and it said that it's a Skylake processor. Should I be worried about any disadvantages of going Skylake over Kaby lake?

Chuckl3s

Need advice on a GPU. Used GTX 970 or Brand New 1050ti? Both around the same price. Need something to hold me over until I purchase a Vega.

This will be a budget build with a Ryzen 3 1200.

3x0

Neo Member
Thanks for the fast response. I came across this one and it looks like the premiere performance was the best compared to the other processors in that range, but then I looked it up and it said that it's a Skylake processor. Should I be worried about any disadvantages of going Skylake over Kaby lake?

There are no high core-count KabyLake processors.
You might want to wait for the Ryzen 1900X Threadripper which costs 50$ less than the 7820K for the same 8 core 16 threads or the Ryzen 1920 (without the X) which is a 12c/24t CPU for probably around the 700$ pricepoint with the Intel equivalent 12c24t going for 1200$.

It's actually Skylake-X but KabyLake-X only has a quad-core chip out (the 7740x).

Edit: I'm blind, see 3x0 already answered.

kuYuri

Need advice on a GPU. Used GTX 970 or Brand New 1050ti? Both around the same price. Need something to hold me over until I purchase a Vega.

This will be a budget build with a Ryzen 3 1200.

970 is quite a bit better than a 1050 Ti, so if you can get one for a good price, 970 for sure.

VoxPop

So my gfs been hooked on Stardew Valley and hogging the computer 😂

I have a dual screen setup (monitor + TV via hdmi). I was wondering if there was a way for us to play a game at the same time. Dota 2 on primary for me with KB + M and her on the TV with a XB1 controller at the same time.

Using a 7700k and gtx 970.

Thanks! That's what I thought. I found several on Craigslist for around 150-200.

Just look at the card make sure it looks normal and not some duct taped cracked out repaired version and it should good to go. Only issue I have ever had with GPU's always ended up being with driver support but google is your friend there.

My pc is like 9 years old and can only play indie games these days but watching people play PUBG really has me wanting to take a go at building a good one.

Jyrii

Banned
Heyo

My nephew wants to get a gaming pc. He has talked about laptop, but his budget is so low (500€) that I don't think he could get a decent laptop even with a decent deal.

The manufacturer's desktops seem to be rather lousy too, so the best route is probably to build a rig. I built my own rig, but I didn't really have much budget problems that time. Also Ryzen was released.

We aren't going to order the components online, so the pcpartpicker is just for compatibility. The total cost is 557€ I would like to get it down to below 500€, but I don't think it is possible. I would like to add more RAM, but that raises the total amount.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/kGcDRG

Few questions:
- Is Ryzen 3 the best option here?
- The motherboard is actually B350M-K, not B350M-A. Does that matter at all?
- The 1050ti costs 170€ Would there be cheaper option that would suffice?

Edit. I will give my old monitor to him, so he will be playing at 1920x1200 resolution.

Seems like a RAM issue to me, but since you also have problems with the picture, I'd say the GPU is simply failing.

Think it might have been a voltage thing, installed MSI afterburner and put it on force constant voltage and start on startup and reinstalled the GPU drivers and so for they've said it worked, though they've only been browsing the web so who knows fingers crossed.

Heyo

My nephew wants to get a gaming pc. He has talked about laptop, but his budget is so low (500€) that I don't think he could get a decent laptop even with a decent deal.

The manufacturer's desktops seem to be rather lousy too, so the best route is probably to build a rig. I built my own rig, but I didn't really have much budget problems that time. Also Ryzen was released.

We aren't going to order the components online, so the pcpartpicker is just for compatibility. The total cost is 557€ I would like to get it down to below 500€, but I don't think it is possible. I would like to add more RAM, but that raises the total amount.

Few questions:

Edit. I will give my old monitor to him, so he will be playing at 1920x1200 resolution.

It's complicated in that kind of price range. But don't get 4GB of RAM, it's just not gonna cut anymore. Maybe actually go for the Intel Pentium G4560 (2 cores, 4 threads), it's way cheaper (comes with a cooler). Mainboard as cheap as possible.
Would be way better to wait a couple of months to save some more money, though.

Edit: It's definitely not possible to get a proper laptop in that price range.

3x0

Neo Member
Heyo

Few questions:

Maybe go the route of Intel G4560 as Frankfurter said? I think it's still a very good option that won't hamper the 1050Ti.
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/v4NbPs

Cheaper, 8GB RAM, better PSU
Benchmarks to support the choice of CPU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fITuIeLOUcQ

Jyrii

Banned
Maybe actually go for the Intel Pentium G4560 (2 cores, 4 threads), it's way cheaper (comes with a cooler). Mainboard as cheap as possible.
Would be way better to wait a couple of months to save some more money, though

Ok, so G4560 and 1151 motherboard would drop the price to 490€, so I could add another 4GB ram.

How would waiting for few months help? New processor models coming? His birthday is on november, so I think he could wait a bit more.

Ok, so G4560 and 1151 motherboard would drop the price to 490€, so I could add another 4GB ram.

How would waiting for few months help? New processor models coming? His birthday is on november, so I think he could wait a bit more.

I meant that He can save some more Money in the meantime.

There are no high core-count KabyLake processors.
You might want to wait for the Ryzen 1900X Threadripper which costs 50$ less than the 7820K for the same 8 core 16 threads or the Ryzen 1920 (without the X) which is a 12c/24t CPU for probably around the 700$ pricepoint with the Intel equivalent 12c24t going for 1200$.
Interesting! Is there any sort of release date for the 1920? Everything I could find just indicated that it was a leak of some sort. Also, it looks like the motherboards for the thread ripper series are really expensive, unless there are more options that I'm just not seeing on Newegg

RoKKeR

Hey guys, quick/random question for you. I have an old PC case that has everything but a graphics card in it and am wondering what to do with it. It has an i5 2500k, 1 or 2 TB HDD, PSU/mobo/cooling/etc. but I have no use for it anymore and would rather not throw it away. What should I do with it? Are there any stores that strip down old computers for parts or anything?

Hey guys, quick/random question for you. I have an old PC case that has everything but a graphics card in it and am wondering what to do with it. It has an i5 2500k, 1 or 2 TB HDD, PSU/mobo/cooling/etc. but I have no use for it anymore and would rather not throw it away. What should I do with it? Are there any stores that strip down old computers for parts or anything?

Just sell it as is for cheap and market it as "put a GPU and SSD in this and you've got a good budget gaming build." I mean assuming the mobo can accommodate those.

Top Bottom