• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Hey guys, quick/random question for you. I have an old PC case that has everything but a graphics card in it and am wondering what to do with it. It has an i5 2500k, 1 or 2 TB HDD, PSU/mobo/cooling/etc. but I have no use for it anymore and would rather not throw it away. What should I do with it? Are there any stores that strip down old computers for parts or anything?

I sold my old i5-2500k build on eBay piece by piece a few weeks back. Sold my 2500k for about $60, my motherboard for about $85, RAM for $30, etc. That's what I'd do. Or Craigslist.

:|

Wanted to watch my 1080's voltage during the artifacting, compare it to people with normal cards, see if mine was absurdly low or something.

Artifacting hits, and then we blue screen, video scheduler internal error. Main monitor wasn't displaying properly (power button lit up like it was receiving, but no picture displayed, and it went to sleep), and whatever was displayed wasn't mirrored to my 2nd monitor. After shorting the CMOS I got the usual splash screen on my 2nd monitor only, and got into the bios. After an odd boot, got into windows.

GPU wasn't being properly recognized by windows, and still only one monitor was functioning, the one hooked up via DVI (secondary monitor). Nvidia control panel said it couldn't open since an nvidia gpu wasn't connected, and geforce experience prompted a driver install, and listed no current driver.

Driver install completed, main monitor still not receiving input from the GPU.

Powered down completely, and removed the gpu, its sitting on my bed.

In case anyone's wondering, the voltage was stable at 1.05 and 1.044. Crash occurred on my 2nd run of Unigine Superposition

I'm afraid to plug it back in and have it still not recognized/work o_O

SRG01

Any 24" monitor suggestions? I'm not looking for anything too high-end, but the inverter board is starting to act up and hum whenever the backlight is not at 100%. It does a little better after it's warmed up, but the monitor looks like it's on its last legs.

dcx4610

Any 24" monitor suggestions? I'm not looking for anything too high-end, but the inverter board is starting to act up and hum whenever the backlight is not at 100%. It does a little better after it's warmed up, but the monitor looks like it's on its last legs.

Asus VG248QE or Dell S2417DG. 144hz or bust.

Rip some threads. Did this for fun :p

By the time you build there will probably be better priced motherboard options. With luck RAM and GPUs will have gone down too but there's no telling with those.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor ($999.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Liquid Freezer 240 74.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($81.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX TR4 Motherboard ($353.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($260.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Turbo Video Card ($709.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - X Series 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $2974.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-07 02:44 EDT-0400

Why Seagate and why not Corsair for the PSU?

YO!!!!

I AM SO HYPE PCGAF!!

I finally did it. Pulled the trigger on my first PCBaby. I had to make some heavy concessions on my original build but I made something happen. Let me know what y'all think, This is a first time fully chosen build by me and will be the first time putting it together..

Im so excited!!!!!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card ($158.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $617.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-07 22:50 EDT-0400

So I dropped my CPU to the 1500X from the 1600, I wanted 12 threads but I'm sure 8 would suffice, Dropped my RAM to 8 from 16 I wanted....
My MB only has 2 ram slots bummer... but it can OC so I can experiment with that... Plus getting rid of the old ram gives me an excuse for another build lol
SSD is for the OS, I wanted a TB WD Blue but that can come later... Plus I have other drives laying around.
Man I dreamed about the 1070.... then I settled for the 1060 6Gb.... couldn't even do that. Had to suck it up and go with the 1050Ti. Either way, I heard its a dope card.

UGHH So excited!!! Cant wait till its here.... Doom, Vermintide, AND Bayonetta is on sale and I'm TRYING not to SPLURGE

FHIZ

So ironing out the kinks of my new build and could use some help, for what ever reason when I load up a webpage, open any program, or any other basic task my fans ramp up for like a second. Best I can tell it is the exhaust, as I would need to take off part of the case to see the intake.

I'm looking at the CPU in resource manager and sure enough there are little spikes when something happens like this:

pltNI0B.jpg

And the fans ramp up with it. Any ideas?

(ASUS Z270e mobo, Corsair H100i v2 cooler used with intake fans, 7700k)

ocean

Banned
Why Seagate and why not Corsair for the PSU?
I'm absolutely certain there's a ton of people here more qualified to design a build. I put something together real quick for funsies which fit your budget and objectives neatly.

Why SeaSonic? They're a reputable PSU maker, and I found that unit was well priced and reviewed while fitting your estimated power requirements.

Once again I'd never advise somebody to listen *to me* for such a large purchase, but this hardware setup is a nice ballpark I guess? I went for the highest core count mainstream CPU for your workstation needs, along a with 32GB of high speed quad channel RAM kit. I put up a small but expensive super fast NVME boot drive, a cheap but large SSD for less-critical but performance-demanding storage and a big slow storage drive. Super high end video card for top of the line gaming and GPU compute, a nice high quality PSU (someone more knowledgeable on the topic could advise whether you need to go even higher end here), and a big ass case for it all to fit.

ISee

So ironing out the kinks of my new build and could use some help, for what ever reason when I load up a webpage, open any program, or any other basic task my fans ramp up for like a second. Best I can tell it is the exhaust, as I would need to take off part of the case to see the intake.

I'm looking at the CPU in resource manager and sure enough there are little spikes when something happens like this:

pltNI0B.jpg

And the fans ramp up with it. Any ideas?

(ASUS Z270e mobo, Corsair H100i v2 cooler used with intake fans, 7700k)

Your load rises because your CPU has some stuff to do when you start a program etc.(normal and obviously expected), which will result in a higher core temperatures (also normal). This will of course result in faster fan speeds on your corsair AIO and that's the culprit here. The Corsair H100 v2 is a good performer, but it is loud AF even on the silent profile. My wife bought one for my birthday and I really tried to make the H100 v2 run silent for weeks, but no matter what I did I couldn't make it work and noise levels were unbearable. I like overclocking and improving my performance, but not for the cost of annoyingly loud fans ruining my gaming experience. I dialed back my OC by 100 MHz and went back to dual tower air coolers.

TBH, I don't care about refresh rate :p

Somewhat blasphemous statement: I game in 720P windowed mode :D

No need to excuse yourself. The 144Hz or bust statement is as unreasonable as any other 'must do, PC Master Race stuff'. You do whatever you like to do and works for you. That's the real beauty of PC gaming: The freedom to choose. BTW you can find some display recommendations in the OP, take a look.

SRG01

No need to excuse yourself. The 144Hz or bust statement is as unreasonable as any other 'must do, PC Master Race stuff'. You do whatever you like to do and works for you. That's the real beauty of PC gaming: The freedom to choose. BTW you can find some display recommendations in the OP, take a look.

LOL I forgot all about the first page :)

Anyhow, I found some monitors here in Canada: the HP 22ER (https://www.staples.ca/en/HP-22ER-21-5-IPS-LED-Backlit-Monitor/product_2404048_2-CA_1_20001) and the BenQ (https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX60600). I have zero clue as to which one is better though.

Amazon has similar prices too.

Apparently I am 2 months late to the good prices for graphics cards.

Any chance 1070 prices will drop back to the mid 300s, or should I just swing a 1060 for now.

ISee

LOL I forgot all about the first page :)

Anyhow, I found some monitors here in Canada: the HP 22ER (https://www.staples.ca/en/HP-22ER-21-5-IPS-LED-Backlit-Monitor/product_2404048_2-CA_1_20001) and the BenQ (https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX60600). I have zero clue as to which one is better though.

Amazon has similar prices too.

I'd go with the IPS over the VA panel. But that's just a personal preference because I like pretty colours.

Apparently I am 2 months late to the good prices for graphics cards.

Any chance 1070 prices will drop back to the mid 300s, or should I just swing a 1060 for now.

It could once vega 64/56 cards are available. RX vega is apparently extremly good for mining and mimers will probably jump on that and leave other cards alone. We'll see.

3x0

Neo Member
Interesting! Is there any sort of release date for the 1920? Everything I could find just indicated that it was a leak of some sort. Also, it looks like the motherboards for the thread ripper series are really expensive, unless there are more options that I'm just not seeing on Newegg

No release date, although since the 1950X/1920X/1900X release in August, it's safe to assume September as the release date.

The motherboard prices are in line with Intel's X299 offerings, 300-400$ for a premium models. Once there are more models for the Threadripper platform you'll see cheaper options as well.

Made some additions to my PC build today. a 120mm exhaust fan and a cheap RGB light strip. I'm pretty happy with both. The RGB strip only cost about £8, got it set to white just to add some vibrance to my otherwise plain looking case (Thermaltake Core v21).

Considering I set out to do a pretty bare bones upgrade for around £400, I've put over a grand into it all now, including a 1080p/144Hz monitor. Can't say I regret any of it either.
I'm really happy with the case, the Ryzen 1600 has breathed a lot of life into my 1050Ti with the increased minimum FPS. Overall, it looks great inside and out.

Still looking to upgrade to 16Gb of RAM, potentially a 1070 or 1080, and maybe a better CPU cooler. That and sort out some of my cable management.
Also considering changing my case's orientation so the motherboard is vertical instead of horizontal.

OCD Guy

I thought EVGA are considered the best PSU , specially the gold and platinum line

Like Corsair whose best psu's are manufactured by Seasonic, the best psu's Evga make are actually made by Superflower.

So you could pick up a superflower psu too.

But you're quite right the P2 are some of the best psu's out there. I only went for EVGA becuase of their superior warranty, as opposed to saving momney and going for Superflower.

I love EVGA in general, I just wish they made good motherboards, those days seem long gone, so unfortunately stick with the ROG asus line. I say unfortunately because my experience with Asus customer support has been terrible.

Like Corsair whose best psu's are manufactured by Seasonic, the best psu's Evga make are actually made by Superflower.

So you could pick up a superflower psu too.

But you're quite right the P2 are some of the best psu's out there. I only went for EVGA becuase of their superior warranty, as opposed to saving momney and going for Superflower.

I love EVGA in general, I just wish they made good motherboards, those days seem long gone, so unfortunately stick with the ROG asus line. I say unfortunately because my experience with Asus customer support has been terrible.

that is what I did, I bought EVGA G3 gold, ASUS rog strix mOBO. lol

No release date, although since the 1950X/1920X/1900X release in August, it's safe to assume September as the release date.

The motherboard prices are in line with Intel's X299 offerings, 300-400$ for a premium models. Once there are more models for the Threadripper platform you'll see cheaper options as well.
Thanks this is helpful. I just got spoiled by the cheaper motherboards I've gone with in the past. :) I may end up going the i7 7820x route since the premiere pro performance is really good and I can use a less expensive motherboard (from what I read, the Kaby Lake advantages are mainly around handling of 4K content, which I'm not going to be dealing with (I don't think...). Thanks again!

kennah

Hey guys, quick/random question for you. I have an old PC case that has everything but a graphics card in it and am wondering what to do with it. It has an i5 2500k, 1 or 2 TB HDD, PSU/mobo/cooling/etc. but I have no use for it anymore and would rather not throw it away. What should I do with it? Are there any stores that strip down old computers for parts or anything?
No cousins or niblings that need a computer? That’s still a solid piece of kit.

FHIZ

Your load rises because your CPU has some stuff to do when you start a program etc.(normal and obviously expected), which will result in a higher core temperatures (also normal). This will of course result in faster fan speeds on your corsair AIO and that's the culprit here. The Corsair H100 v2 is a good performer, but it is loud AF even on the silent profile. My wife bought one for my birthday and I really tried to make the H100 v2 run silent for weeks, but no matter what I did I couldn't make it work and noise levels were unbearable. I like overclocking and improving my performance, but not for the cost of annoyingly loud fans ruining my gaming experience. I dialed back my OC by 100 MHz and went back to dual tower air coolers..

But would that explain the fans all ramping up at the same time? I've got two intakes connected to the radiator, plugged into the fan controllers coming out the waterblock, which is then plugged into my CPU fan header. Then I've got an exhaust fan in the back plugged into my nearest fan header, and two exhausts on the top, plugged into a Y splitter, then into a standard fan header.

Clearly the fans ramp up at any spike in the CPU usage no matter how small it might be, then go back down immediately. I just need to figure out whether or not I need to go into the bios or mess around with one of the programs like Corsair Link or whatever Asus' software is in order to change what the fans react to or how quickly they do it. Being new to this stuff I'm kind of hesitant to just go barreling through any controller I can find without knowing exactly what I'm doing.

LordAlu

I'm pretty sure the x line doesn't come with a heat sink in the box, check on that, you'll have to order one if not.
The 1500X does come with a cooler. The way you can tell if a cooler is included with Ryzen is by the TDP - if it's 65W (1200, 1300X, 1400, 1500X, 1600, 1700), it will come with a cooler. 95W or higher (1600X, 1700X, 1800X) and it doesn't. :)

Made some additions to my PC build today. a 120mm exhaust fan and a cheap RGB light strip. I'm pretty happy with both. The RGB strip only cost about £8, got it set to white just to add some vibrance to my otherwise plain looking case (Thermaltake Core v21).

Considering I set out to do a pretty bare bones upgrade for around £400, I've put over a grand into it all now, including a 1080p/144Hz monitor. Can't say I regret any of it either.
I'm really happy with the case, the Ryzen 1600 has breathed a lot of life into my 1050Ti with the increased minimum FPS. Overall, it looks great inside and out.

Still looking to upgrade to 16Gb of RAM, potentially a 1070 or 1080, and maybe a better CPU cooler. That and sort out some of my cable management.
Also considering changing my case's orientation so the motherboard is vertical instead of horizontal.

I went vertical with my motherboard on that case. Love the case overall. I forget why I went vertical, but I think I decided that it'd allow hot air to escape out of the top easier.

Voidwolf

The PC not being able to turn on is indicative of a hardware problem, not a driver/software one.

That boot loop started happening after one of the blue screens, I decided to just reset Windows 10 and it froze at 31% so I forced it to shutdown. After I popped out the CMOS battery for a few minutes and reseated it I was able to power it back on and did a clean install of Windows with a DVD instead of the built in reset function. Yesterday I didn't run into any issues but I wasn't able to play for too long, the longest play session I had was about 2 hours. But when I was having these issues I'd crash 20-50 minutes in. So I'm feeling optimistic about this install.

I'll test more today, hopefully I can play longer.

3x0

Neo Member
Copy the information on the bluesceens via bluescreenview and post them here if you get a bluescreen again, it may yield more information about the issue.

Voidwolf

Copy the information on the bluesceens via bluescreenview and post them here if you get a bluescreen again, it may yield more information about the issue.

Yeah I was actually planning to do that on Tom's Hardware. While at work yesterday I was reading through many posts there with the same blue screen error I got and people were posting their logs and other users would identify the faulty driver for them and they'd get it fixed. Makes me feel so silly for going through all the troubleshooting I did. I'll definitely do that if it happens again though.

I'm pretty sure the x line doesn't come with a heat sink in the box, check on that, you'll have to order one if not.

I'm good. 95 TDP doesn't have heatsinks

Does anybody have standard benchmarks on how hot each individual components should be under different status? (heavy load, light load, idle)

Mareg

I'm good. 95 TDP doesn't have heatsinks

Does anybody have standard benchmarks on how hot each individual components should be under different status? (heavy load, light load, idle)

It depends on so many factors. Like ambient air temperatures, cooling type, even motherboard bios versions have impacts. Let's not forget voltage.

For reference, I have a 1600 at 1.272vcore that generates top 86watts. So very close to 95tdp. With ambiants at 27c it idles at 32 and stressed will go as high as low 60s. I'm comfortable bellow 70.

Hopeford

I've learned my lesson: next time, take my computer to a store/friend more used to upgrading instead of trying to do it myself. Hell, might still have to take it somewhere to fix this...

So, my new 1060 arrived and I installed it fairly easily. Removed my old 660ti, installed it, perfectly fine. But now when I try turning the computer on, I get this screen:

Aaaand I have no idea what to do next.

So, after a while on support I ended up sending that card back(that's what they recommended me to do when I talked through support) and got a new card for cheaper on amazon - the 1060 6gb single fan mini thing. Was cheaper so I figured hey, that works. Plus Newegg only sent me a refund, and didn't offer to do a replacement so...well.

So yeah, now with the new GPU...exact same thing is happening. And the oddest thing is that my 660ti still works just fine, and a friend's 760 also works just fine. Is there a chance my PC is somehow just not compatible with 10xx cards or something?

Windows 10
Old GPU: 660ti
New GPU that is the issue: 1060
Processor: i5-3450 @ 3.1
BIOS American Megatrends Inc. P03-3, 4/18/2012
16GB Ram
PSU is CORSAIR HX series HX650 650W.
Motherboard Gateway DX4860 (Socket 0)

Outside of that, only thing I can think of is driver issue, but I've uninstalled all drivers before swapping graphics cards...I don't know. God if it's a motherboard issue, this will take a WHILE.

I just need to figure out whether or not I need to go into the bios or mess around with one of the programs like Corsair Link or whatever Asus' software is in order to change what the fans react to or how quickly they do it. Being new to this stuff I'm kind of hesitant to just go barreling through any controller I can find without knowing exactly what I'm doing.

I believe this is what MSI afterburner calls fan hysteresis. I think my MSI board has it as well in the BIOS.

If your motherboard doesn't have it I think speedfan also lets you tweak this as well

Hopeford

So how difficult is it to update my motherboard? Do I need to reinstall windows afterwards/format my files?

And the...actual physical process of removing and installing the motherboard, how difficult is it?

And uh while I'm at it, any recommendations for a motherboard? I don't plan on overclocking or anything of the sort, just something that would work with a 1060.

I don't have the slightest clue how to get a motherboard that 'fits' my GPU case. This is my current motherboard: http://www.game-debate.com/motherboard/index.php?mot_id=1163&motherboard=Gateway DX4860 but yeah, uh, super lost here so I'd appreciate some help about what kind of motherboard I should go for.

So how difficult is it to update my motherboard? Do I need to reinstall windows afterwards/format my files?

And the...actual physical process of removing and installing the motherboard, how difficult is it?

And uh while I'm at it, any recommendations for a motherboard? I don't plan on overclocking or anything of the sort, just something that would work with a 1060.

I don't have the slightest clue how to get a motherboard that 'fits' my GPU case. This is my current motherboard: http://www.game-debate.com/motherboard/index.php?mot_id=1163&motherboard=Gateway DX4860 but yeah, uh, super lost here so I'd appreciate some help about what kind of motherboard I should go for.

Just to confirm, you have that Dell Gateway, and you want to put in a new video card (a 1060?

Hopeford

Just to confirm, you have that Dell Gateway, and you want to put in a new video card (a 1060?

Yeah. After about a day, a fresh install and like 4 gpus of testing, I figure the only explanation is that my motherboard isn't compatible with 10xx cards. Which would make sense I guess, it only runs really old bios.

So I figure I need a new motherboard.

Yeah. After about a day, a fresh install and like 4 gpus of testing, I figure the only explanation is that my motherboard isn't compatible with 10xx cards. Which would make sense I guess, it only runs really old bios.

Your PC may be completely ill-equipped for a modern GPU. Do you have a way to check what the maximum wattage is in your power supply? In general, it is usually advised to not try and do significant upgrades to an old pre-built, such as your Dell. Getting a new motherboard means you also need new RAM and a new CPU at the minimum.

Hopeford

Your PC may be completely ill-equipped for a modern GPU. Do you have a way to check what the maximum wattage is in your power supply? In general, it is usually advised to not try and do significant upgrades to an old pre-built, such as your Dell. Getting a new motherboard means you also need new RAM and a new CPU at the minimum.

Man, really? I guess I'll just return this and give up then.

The power supply is not the one that came with the PC, it's a new one I replaced basically soon as I got it. It's the CORSAIR HX series HX650 650W. Wasn't expecting I'd need to replace RAM and CPU as well, I figured they would hold up fine. Current CPU is a i5-3450 @ 3.1.

Guess it's returning time tomorrow. Ugh, was looking forward to playing games :/

FireCloud

I bought this one a couple of weeks ago and have been very pleased with it. It's a Lenovo L24q 24" 2560x1440 75Hz. Nothing too fancy but I didn't need any super high refresh rates or a 4K monitor. I really like that there is almost no boarder around most of the monitor (has a small panel on the bottom for the buttons). It has one HDMI and one display port. The way it attaches to the stand is probably not compatible with some other monitor mount if you are wanting to use this for a second screen mounted above another monitor.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-l24q-20-23-8-ips-led-hd-monitor-silver/5747424.p

Well, you can flash the BIOS to the newest and see if that makes a difference but as Soka said there can be other considerations including PSU. It'd have to be a truly shitty power supply not to be able to run a 1060 but with some of those older pre-built things I wouldn't be surprised.

If you go into your BIOS, does it show any info about the video card? At least that there is one present?

I assume it's PCI-E 2.0 but that shouldn't present a problem.

And what's the ultimate issue? The computer doesn't boot? Or boots but nothing being displayed?

The power supply is not the one that came with the PC, it's a new one I replaced basically soon as I got it. It's the CORSAIR HX series HX650 650W. Wasn't expecting I'd need to replace RAM and CPU as well, I figured they would hold up fine. Current CPU is a i5-3450 @ 3.1.

Guess it's returning time tomorrow. Ugh, was looking forward to playing games :/

Nevermind up there then but what are you returning? This thing sounds old.

That sucks... part of the issue with pre-builts from HP/Dell and the like. They are great for basic things but you start to look at minor modifications and it gets messy. If follow the suggestions in the first post and fill out what you are looking for detective/pc GAF can point you in the right direction within the costs and needs you specify.

Getting a basic gaming PC up and running that does not play current games at ultra settings is actually easily achievable within a limited budget as long as you are realistic about what you are trying to do.

Top Bottom