• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Everything is up to date.

Just did a Windows reinstall. (format, update, etc.)

Here my build :

INTEL® CORE™ I5-6500 Processor 6M Cache 3.2GHZ
EVGA 650 GQ 80 Plus Gold 650W
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 1607/1835 MHz 6GB GDDR5
ASUS Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake DDR4

Sound issue. Please take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/oQfZ1J-PGwA

Please help! :(

does it only happen on youtube or is it system wide?

is your audio coming through your GPU or motherboard?

double check that you have the latest drivers from here (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-E/HelpDesk_Download/) installed.

Gaf I'm interested in making a PC for just emulators/ old retro PC games from the mid 2000s/ and playing HD 1080p videos.

Anyone can recommend me the cheapest set up of parts?
I have a spare 560 ti. Would this be enough? also I have a spare case too.

An affordable option for good CPUs for the least amount of money is a deal on retail desktops from Dell, Acer, HP, etc. You can get a system with a i5 7400 for around $400, i5 7500 for around $500, and even i7 6700 for around $700. Add $100 to each for one that comes with an 250 SSD. At least on the intel side, sometimes building your own PC is actually more expensive when you are picking the lower range CPUs like i3 than buying a Lenovo with a i5 from the previous year. The downside being that you end up with some weird motherboards. That said I don't know what's the word on AMD Ryzen 3 and 4 for emulation, maybe that's the best bet today.

Gojeran

Just finished buying all the parts needed for my first foray into water cooling. A custom built copper loop. Moving my PC from a fractal define R4 into a fractal define S and ditching the air coolers. You've had a good run NH D14, I'll miss you. I'll take pictures when it's all said and done. Now we wait for everything to arrive.

Just finished buying all the parts needed for my first foray into water cooling. A custom built copper loop. Moving my PC from a fractal define R4 into a fractal define S and ditching the air coolers. You've had a good run NH D14, I'll miss you. I'll take pictures when it's all said and done. Now we wait for everything to arrive.

Watercooling is the best. What's the setup?

LilJoka

System wide. Had that board for 10 months.

Latest drivers are up to date.

The sound is coming from HDMI (GPU - monitor) or USB (board i think? for headphones!).

- Sorry for my bad english.

Install LatencyMon, leave the system idle and see if there any latency spikes. Then test with music playing (preferably through a simple lightweight audio player like foobar2000)

nashman

I'm 36 I've never even owned a PC before always gamed on consoles.

2 weeks ago my wife made on of hand comment, saying it would nice to have a computer to print off some forms for the kids school.

Fast forward to today and I just bought an I-7700 with a 1080 and g-sync monitor. RIP 3000$ cdn.

Jebus what have I done?

kevin1025

Banned

2 weeks ago my wife made on of hand comment, saying it would nice to have a computer to print off some forms for the kids school.

Fast forward to today and I just bought an I-7700 with a 1080 and g-sync monitor. RIP 3000$ cdn.

Jebus what have I done?

But think of how fast those forms will print now!

Haha, you'll find a ton of use out of that beast of a setup.

Jebus what have I done?

You can print the shit out of those forms! Also Minesweeper will be glorious to play.

xist

My current PC is just over 7 years old and I was looking at buying a used one given that prices aren't great at the moment (and especially not with the weak pound). I've seen a system with the following spec

Motherboard - Z170X Gaming 7
CPU - i7 6700K
Cooler - Corsair Hydro Gtx H110i CPU
Memory - 16Gb DDR4 3000mhz RAM
GPU - EVGA 4GB GTX 970
Bluetooth and 5.2Ghz Wi-Fi card
PSU - Corsair rm650x
Storage 2TB HDD & 256GB M.2

Price is £699 (GBP). Does that seem fair and also, will an AIO water cooler last a long time or do I need to worry about evaporation or fluid loss? I'm still gaming on my current old system and want something that will last for a while at 1080.

LilJoka

Will test tonight for sure ! Thx man.

Then ... what ?

It may show the culprit being a specific driver, and removing it could solve the problem.

Hopefully the only drivers and software you installed from asus' website where:
Chipset
Management engine
USB3 (if you have some non Intel USB ports)
LAN

That's all you need.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Jebus what have I done?
You have ascended

giphy.webp

Reich

It may show the culprit being a specific driver, and removing it could solve the problem.

Hopefully the only drivers and software you installed from asus' website where:
Chipset
Management engine
USB3 (if you have some non Intel USB ports)
LAN

That's all you need.

What about Realtek driver i found on Asus web site ?

LilJoka

What about Realtek driver i found on Asus web site ?

Not needed and I never install it because i found it to be bloatware. The built in Microsoft driver is all that's needed unless you want specific functionality such as Dolby digital live. Since you use GPU HDMI Audio out, there is no point.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Jebus what have I done?

Did you remember to buy a printer?

Reich

Not needed and I never install it because i found it to be bloatware. The built in Microsoft driver is all that's needed unless you want specific functionality such as Dolby digital live. Since you use GPU HDMI Audio out, there is no point.

It appear to be Wifi latensy. True is drivers are up to date. When disabled, no problem.

Smokey

I did the SLI thing earlier this year. It was as stupid as I remember from a few years ago. I sold the system at cost and just recently built a new PC again but this time 1080ti. Common sense dictates that 1080 is fine for now but idiots do idiot things. I completely agree 1080->4k is the smart step up.

I will be completely floored if we cannot get 4k pc gaming next year with Volta.

A 1080Ti gets you there, even close or over 60fps. Maybe not all settings are at max, but it's right there on the edge.

Not like you're missing out on much. What games there there for PC that support HDR? Like.... 1?

I recently watched this video and it made me not give a single crap about HDR on a monitor right now.

When I say HDR, I'm just short handing it for the Asus and Acer monitors. It's just one feature. I'm way more interested in the 4k+144hz screen for example. I know at the moment HDR is sort of busted on PC, but I'm hoping when these come out and start getting into people's hands, things will improve.

kmfdmpig

Jebus what have I done?

That's great. Enjoy your printing and anything else you might do with such a powerful system. :)

A 1080Ti gets you there, even close or over 60fps. Maybe not all settings are at max, but it's right there on the edge.

Max settings. 1080ti is a great card but there is always those 1 or 2 cannot be maxed out unicorns every year.

I don't even have an issue with SLI per say but a few weeks after the fact pure awesome always gets thrown out the window for rational behavior. It's like buying a track car and then realizing you are only ever going to use it to go to the store.

Gaf I'm interested in making a PC for just emulators/ old retro PC games from the mid 2000s/ and playing HD 1080p videos.

One of the new Pentiums would be enough for that and very cheap.

G4560 is $51.99 at Micro Center.

You could also try checking out Google Express. When I searched it showed G4620 for $91.99 and there is a 25% off coupon to make it $69.

Smokey

Max settings. 1080ti is a great card but there is always those 1 or 2 cannot be maxed out unicorns every year.

I don't even have an issue with SLI per say but a few weeks after the fact pure awesome always gets thrown out the window for rational behavior. It's like buying a track car and then realizing you are only ever going to use it to go to the store.

I had a 1080Ti setup for about 2 weeks and sold one card. I knew support had dwindled from its heyday, but I gave in as I usually do with GPUs. The GPU setup was actually too fast for my CPU at 2560x1440, and I have a i7 6 core at 4.5ghz. I was being bottlenecked until I moved to 4k+.

I'm enjoying my current setup. 1060 and 1080p go well. Rig is quiet. All is well. I can tell the difference between 2560x1440 and 1920x1080, and I'm still trying to adjust, but overall I'm ok with this until the upcoming displays get their shit together.

I had a 560Ti from 2012 to early this year. It was still a great card when I got rid of it, only lacked in VRAM for textures and such. Should be fine.

Welp, I learned a valuable lesson about the importance of defragging. Laptop I've had for... five years or so now has struggled a while, but since my family are going on holiday soon, I wanted to see if I could get it running well again to take for the trip. Sure, a GT 630M may not be much, but it still beats the pants off of the Integrated Graphics on my newer laptop. Things had been running slow a while, wasn't sure what could fix it, decided to try my luck with defragging.

8 passes later, and oh man what a difference.

Jarnet87

Looking to do my first build and pulling the trigger is so tough lol. I don't really have a strict budget i am just internally debating whether i want/need to spend more. Current build that I am thinking of getting:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($91.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($35.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1300.36

estimated wattage is 339 so i could probably drop down to the 550W power supply and save some extra money. Would need to confirm that RAM can reach 3000/3200 with that board as well. The other build (7700k, 1080Ti) is about $550 more. My use case is for gaming with minor multi tasking like watching streams, browsing and voice chat. the more expensive build is more future proofing as the current games that I play the most are Dota 2, Rocket League, EQ and WoW. Current system is an I7 860 with a Radeon HD 6850 so newer games like Fortnite run like crap, and I don't think PUBG would even run.

Looking to do my first build and pulling the trigger is so tough lol. I don't really have a strict budget i am just internally debating whether i want/need to spend more. Current build that I am thinking of getting:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($91.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($154.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($549.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($35.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1300.36

estimated wattage is 339 so i could probably drop down to the 550W power supply and save some extra money. Would need to confirm that RAM can reach 3000/3200 with that board as well. The other build (7700k, 1080Ti) is about $550 more. My use case is for gaming with minor multi tasking like watching streams, browsing and voice chat. the more expensive build is more future proofing as the current games that I play the most are Dota 2, Rocket League, EQ and WoW. Current system is an I7 860 with a Radeon HD 6850 so newer games like Fortnite run like crap, and I don't think PUBG would even run.

Sounds a lot like the build I did.

I went with 8Gb of DDR4 instead of 16Gb, I just didn't see it as cost effective for gaming performance.
Motherboard, I went for a ASrock B350M Pro 4. It was quite cheap and worked with the RAM I got (corsair LPX 3000mhz).
I went with a Sandisk SSD, it was £10 cheaper than a Samsung.
I also went with a 550w PSU instead of a 600 or 650w, which i regret. If I had a higher wattage PSU I would've gone for a 1080Ti instead of a 1080.

Also, nice case choice. I legitimatly envy anyone with it since it wasn't out when I bought a Core V21.

kuYuri

Ordered my x34 predator, got lucky and snagged a refurb in the 2 minutes it was up for ordering. Can't wait.

Lucky you, I was trying to grab one the other day in the middle of work and it sold out before I could complete checkout. Sucks cause I was trying to do it on my phone, but phone is so much slower to checkout compared to doing it on a PC.

Can I please ask for help

I have tried everything, I just cannot get my microphone headset to detect my voice. Realtek is not in control panel, or toolbar. Im so frustrated with PC gaming issues. I built my PC from GAF a while back and I have no idea what is going on.

Ive tried absolutley everyhtng imaginable

Garou

Can I please ask for help

I have tried everything, I just cannot get my microphone headset to detect my voice. Realtek is not in control panel, or toolbar. Im so frustrated with PC gaming issues. I built my PC from GAF a while back and I have no idea what is going on.

Ive tried absolutley everyhtng imaginable

Is it a USB-headset or one with audio-jacks? Did you build the PC or is it pre-built/a laptop?

pislit

Jebus what have I done?

Dont let your wife discover The Sims 4.

Is it a USB-headset or one with audio-jacks? Did you build the PC or is it pre-built/a laptop?

Gaf built it from an older thread

Its a audio jack.

I cant even find my realtek app

So actually i got it to work through some very annoying process where i plugged in a mic into my usb speakers, and then used another headset through the audio jack on the pc tower

Messed around with some other settings out of randomness like trying to get the mic to be "listened to" by the speakers

Its impractical because its picking up bad feedback and I was told to get a usb mic in chat.

How expensive is that?

Im really frustrated that my realtek audio seems completely missing. Its there as an option in the audio selection but is conpletely mute

And it doesn't exist as an app at all despite the file location having the executable applications. They just dont run anything or open any program

Garou

Gaf built it from an older thread

Its a audio jack.

I cant even find my realtek app

So actually i got it to work through some very annoying process where i plugged in a mic into my usb speakers, and then used another headset through the audio jack on the pc tower

Messed around with some other settings out of randomness like trying to get the mic to be "listened to" by the speakers

Its impractical because its picking up bad feedback and I was told to get a usb mic in chat.

How expensive is that?

Im really frustrated that my realtek audio seems completely missing. Its there as an option in the audio selection but is conpletely mute

And it doesn't exist as an app at all despite the file location having the executable applications. They just dont run anything or open any program

Ok, so then: Are you plugging the headset into a port of the PC-case or into the back of the PC directly into the motherboard?

Realtek is an audio-driver first, sometimes it comes with its own settings-app but not always. Usually you don't need it for something like this anyway, the Windows settings-apps (for example Control Panel -> Sounds) are enough.
This should be what you are looking at:

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

So guys remember how i ordered the EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SSC DT, well it arrived on friday and i installed even though i was heavily sick with a cold, in hindsight i should have waited until i felt better because i could have fucked things up very badly. Anyway it's installed now and it seems pretty good! I get at least 60FPS on Ultra on Overwatch and Rainbow Six siege, the performance of PUBG is all over the place but it doesn't dip below 60 during gameplay, most of the time. So yeah i'm pretty happy with my purchase. I've been monitoring the temps and they haven't gone above 70C which i think is good, but i have one question do you guys think i should change the GPU fan settings? Because i haven't touched them and right now the fans only kick at a certain temperature, when i'm browsing the remain idle.

Smokey

So guys remember how i ordered the EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SSC DT, well it arrived on friday and i installed even though i was heavily sick with a cold, in hindsight i should have waited until i felt better because i could have fucked things up very badly. Anyway it's installed now and it seems pretty good! I get at least 60FPS on Ultra on Overwatch and Rainbow Six siege, the performance of PUBG is all over the place but it doesn't dip below 60 during gameplay, most of the time. So yeah i'm pretty happy with my purchase. I've been monitoring the temps and they haven't gone above 70C which i think is good, but i have one question do you guys think i should change the GPU fan settings? Because i haven't touched them and right now the fans only kick at a certain temperature, when i'm browsing the remain idle.

It never hurts to make your own fan profile.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on pcpartpicker, looking at GPU options. For the RX 570, the cheapest available-to-buy option is $290, going up to $490. For another point of reference, this review ("Aorus Radeon RX 570 review: The best graphics card you can buy under $200, barely changed") advertises the card as being $180 with a link to buy it. When you click the link, it takes you to a newegg page, where the card is currently $439.04.

Will the release of Vega change anything for the mid-tier enthusiast market's current pricing situation? I was hoping to buy my graphics card for around $200-$250, but the best I can find so far is a GTX 1060 for $270 as part of a sale.

Top Bottom