• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Hi all

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/q4THyf

How does this look?

I plan to mine cryptocurrencies which is why I wanted a ton more voltage than I'd typically need. I'm assured the extra wattage isn't being used if it's not needed, so it's not wasting energy. Correct me if that's wrong?

Is there a better Cooler Master CPU cooler I should be getting? :D Money not an issue, just best recommendation thanks!!
http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Lines/cpu-liquid-cooler/
Which of these is a self-contained loop? I don't want to or know how to do maintenance on liquid cooling...

Yes you're not wasting energy, just money :)

But ok leave the PSU.

If you want to stick with CoolerMaster for CPU, I'd go for the MasterLiquid Pro 280. It's an AIO; there's no maintenance. Corsair H series is good too.

UMGAWA

20170812_133907zcpaf.jpg

So this is my latest build

i7 7700k
MSI z270 gaming M5
32GB 3000mhz corsair rgb
MSI 1080ti
H100iv2 AIO
Samsung PRO 500GB SSD
1tb seagate HDD
Phanteks P400S case

So hard to get a nice shot with the tempered glass.

NEO0MJ

I asked this before, but why does PC part picker (and corsair's own website) not include 240mm water coolers for the Corsair 100R, even though it has seems to have vents for such an addition on top of the case?

Hi all, long story short the missus spilt a drink over the PC, borking pretty much the whole thing. After resisting the urge to strangle her I've decided to use this opportunity to upgrade. Problem is I've been out of the PC parts loop for a while and I can't work out if the Intel Core i3 7100 listed in the OP is better than my old i5 4570 (non K version, I'm not into the whole overclocking thing much). I know the i3 is newer but dropping down to an i3 can't be an upgrade, can it? I dunno.

The CPU was the main bottle neck of the old PC so I'm really trying to get this bit right.

ISee

Hi all, long story short the missus spilt a drink over the PC, borking pretty much the whole thing. After resisting the urge to strangle her I've decided to use this opportunity to upgrade. Problem is I've been out of the PC parts loop for a while and I can't work out if the Intel Core i3 7100 listed in the OP is better than my old i5 4570 (non K version, I'm not into the whole overclocking thing much). I know the i3 is newer but dropping down to an i3 can't be an upgrade, can it? I dunno.

The CPU was the main bottle neck of the old PC so I'm really trying to get this bit right.

The i3 7100 clocks at 3,9GHz and the 4570 at 3.6 GHz, but the 4570 is still the faster processor because it is a true 4 core CPU and the 7100 is just a 2c CPU with hyper threading. If you want to build new and worry about CPU performance I'd recommend either getting an AMD R5 1600, which is a great gaming 6c/12t gaming CPU or wait for Intels new coffee lake line up. The new i3 is going to be a true 4c CPU (probably great for low budget builds) and the new i5 will come with 6 cores, both of them should clock ~4GHz without the need to oc..

Finally got around to some cable management. The Tt Core V21 is a really nice case and all, lot's of room inside for just about anything you can think of but it is terrible for managing cables with a horizontal layout.

My idle temps seemed to have dropped by 5c though, so that's nice.

Nightz

So when looking at EVGA video cards, I get overwhelmed by all the different models that I see...Founders Edition, Gaming, Black, SC, SC2, FTW3, etc. Is there some sort of "tier list" or chart somewhere that I can look at to understand the differences between these?

Interesting! Thank you:)

My system (current one) is maxed out at 8GB DDR3!

How often do you purge your cache? And do you have a designated SSD just for your scratch disks? Would it be beneficial to have 256 GB SSD only as a scratch disk?

Depending on the type of assets i can be purging every 20 minutes. For instance, making really big composition where you zoom in or out from a 16K picture of a map eats it quick. I have a 240 ssd for these, I put a 100GB After Effects scratch disk and 40GB for Photoshop. It can be on your OS disk, but I would recommend it is not the same disk where your file projects are. It is not the ideal setup because I'm not very rich but I have OS in a 250 ssd, cache in a 240 ssd, and project files in a 4TB HDD. More professional setups would involve RAID enclosures instead of the 4TB internally, or a server.

bomblord1

Banned
So when looking at EVGA video cards, I get overwhelmed by all the different models that I see...Founders Edition, Gaming, Black, SC, SC2, FTW3, etc. Is there some sort of "tier list" or chart somewhere that I can look at to understand the differences between these?

While each card will offer something very slightly different if you just intend to use it "as is" and don't have any space or price concerns just get whichever has the highest core/boost clocks for the card you are looking at (1070, 1080ti, RX580, etc)

look at Base Clock and Boost Clock: https://www.evga.com/products/produ...=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1080+Ti

Lower tier: Founders Edition > Gaming
Difference: build quality

Mid Tier: FTW > SC2/SSC (Super Clocked 2 / Super Super Clocked) > SC (Super Clocked) > Gaming > Black
diference: performance , FTW has three fans

High Tier: Kingping > FTW Hybrid > SC Hybrid
Difference: Performance (hybrids may have better temperatures than Kingpin)

Liquid cooled: Hydro Copper

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Asked this on previous page and it got missed:

I have a Ryzen build:
Asrock B350 Pro (cheap no frills mobo)
EVGA 3000 DDR4 running at 2800MHz

I would like to know if there is a memory brand/model I can buy that is guaranteed to work at 3200MHz on this board? 16GB (2x8)

If not, I am willing to upgrade my motherboard AND RAM to achieve 3200.

Does anyone have any recommendation?

The i3 7100 clocks at 3,9GHz and the 4570 at 3.6 GHz, but the 4570 is still the faster processor because it is a true 4 core CPU and the 7100 is just a 2c CPU with hyper threading. If you want to build new and worry about CPU performance I'd recommend either getting an AMD R5 1600, which is a great gaming 6c/12t gaming CPU or wait for Intels new coffee lake line up. The new i3 is going to be a true 4c CPU (probably great for low budget builds) and the new i5 will come with 6 cores, both of them should clock ~4GHz without the need to oc..

Thanks for the reply. I must say I've been eyeing up the Ryzen 5 1600, seem like decent bang for your buck, but it'll feel weird tying myself to AMD after being in the Intel ecosystem for so long.

Nightz

look at Base Clock and Boost Clock: https://www.evga.com/products/produ...=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1080+Ti

Lower tier: Founders Edition > Gaming
Difference: build quality

Mid Tier: FTW > SC2/SSC (Super Clocked 2 / Super Super Clocked) > SC (Super Clocked) > Black > Gaming
diference: performance , FTW has three fans

High Tier: Kingping > FTW Hybrid > SC Hybrid
Difference: Performance (hybrids may have better temperatures than Kingpin)

Liquid cooled: Hydro Copper
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I must say I've been eyeing up the Ryzen 5 1600, seem like decent bang for your buck, but it'll feel weird tying myself to AMD after being in the Intel ecosystem for so long.

Well you don't have much choice because the 7700K is on a dead socket with no upgrade path. And Coffee Lake is only being unveiled end of August but is not expected to be widely available until October at the earliest, in a sort of strategic move by Intel to spoil Ryzen sales. Remember CL was originally schedule for release early 2018.

kennah

Actually downgraded my setup. Sold my Swift and a few other monitors, and just picked up a 1060 today. This is my second time owning one. All in all I have had 2 1060s, 1 1070, and 2 1080Tis. I'm done. With the HDR monitors being delayed until 2018, gonna be sitting on this 1060/1080p combo for a good minute.
Suuuuure you are.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member

FTW3 > SC2 > SC > FE.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm actually considering a HDR 4k TV since I recently got my 1080 144hz G-SYNC monitor and have zero intentions of replacing that

ISee

Why? They're all just companies. In the end all the matters is performance, price and reliability.

What ecosystem? Basically just the CPU and mobo are what would fall into that ecosystem, but since you're presumably making a generation or two upgrade, you'd need a new mobo if you went from your old Intel CPU to a new one anyway.

Xater

So I am finally also building a PC again. Considering I also need to get a monitor the budget is a little tight. The important stuff from this build:

Ryzen R5 1600 (I am getting a good cooling solution for this to overclock this sucker.)
KFA2 6G GTX 1060
16GB DDR4-3200
MSI B350 Motherboard

Is the 1060 a good choice or would a 580 be a safer bet for the future? The game I am currently mostly looking forward to play is PUBG tbh. Wolfenstein 2 is also on the list though.Also the 580 actually costs around 80€ more because of fucking cryptocurrencies.

I am also not sure about the monitor. I currently have the ASUS VG248QE picked out which has a 144hz panel. Is that even going to make a difference with this class of graphics cards or should I save around 120€ and jsut get a 60hz panel?

hehe, all it takes you is one night of sleep before deciding to buy a i7-6850K, and then you find yourself considering the 1920X threadripper and updating 50% of my machine long with it.

egruntz

shelaughz
Yes you're not wasting energy, just money :)

But ok leave the PSU.

If you want to stick with CoolerMaster for CPU, I'd go for the MasterLiquid Pro 280. It's an AIO; there's no maintenance. Corsair H series is good too.

How much wattage do you think I'd need to mine 24/7?
Thanks for the aio suggestion!

mtlam

Looking for a case for a future build, been looking at the phantek enthoo evolv and the Fractal Meshify C which one should I go for?

How much wattage do you think I'd need to mine 24/7?
Thanks for the aio suggestion!

Whatever you plug into PCPartPicker, just base off of that wattage and throw another 100w to be safe. The build you linked says 445w, so 550w should be safe. If you plan to add more GPUs, plug them into the PCPP build and get a PSU that covers the wattage they list.

Keep in mind, most miners undervolt and under clocks their GPUs by about 10-20% as it ends up being more cost effective... So, your energy needs should be even lower than what PCPP lists.

Samaritan

In the middle of playing PUBG when my system made a loud fizzle/pop sound, went dark, and started smelling of burnt electronics. I'm really hoping it's just my power supply, otherwise this could get really time-consuming and expensive. :/

Smokey

Suuuuure you are.

I'm srs

My next display will drive what I upgrade to. I plan for that to be the HDR monitors, and those got delayed until 2018. Not going back to 1440...I just got rid of mine. It'll be 1080p ->4k , and at that point I'll probably hop back in with Volta.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm srs

My next display will drive what I upgrade to. I plan for that to be the HDR monitors, and those got delayed until 2018. Not going back to 1440...I just got rid of mine. It'll be 1080p ->4k , and at that point I'll probably hop back in with Volta.
I'm considering this too

Whatever you plug into PCPartPicker, just base off of that wattage and throw another 100w to be safe. The build you linked says 445w, so 550w should be safe. If you plan to add more GPUs, plug them into the PCPP build and get a PSU that covers the wattage they list.

Keep in mind, most miners undervolt and under clocks their GPUs by about 10-20% as it ends up being more cost effective... So, your energy needs should be even lower than what PCPP lists.

Don't PSUs run at maximum efficiency putting out around 50% of their wattage? So wouldn't a miner want a bigger PSU so that its running more efficiently? Or am I thinking about that wrong

Also finally trying to OC my 1700 again, this time with Ryzen Master. Confused about the vcore during benchmarks/in general. It'll spike up to 1.33 during regular use (probably normal?), but short spikes like on the left of the picture. Then during the Cinebench multithreaded it'll top out at 1.275 or so volts. Then during the single core it'll hit that 1.33 mark but it'll hold at 1.33 for the duration of the benchmark.

deCFwhp.png

Don't PSUs run at maximum efficiency putting out around 50% of their wattage? So wouldn't a miner want a bigger PSU so that its running more efficiently? Or am I thinking about that wrong

That's correct in terms of efficiency, but I'm not sure that the 1-4% efficiency difference is significant enough to matter. To be fair, I'm not a miner, but I know ton of guides exist so that may be the way to go.

SpotAnime

I hear ya. In the 20+ years of building my own PC, I only went AMD once - the K6-2. I'd since had no reason to, but those Ryzen CPUs are offering some great price/performance. I just build a rig with a R7 1700X and so far, smooth sailing. Looking forward to the long tail on the AM4 chipset for future upgrades.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I hear ya. In the 20+ years of building my own PC, I only went AMD once - the K6-2. I'd since had no reason to, but those Ryzen CPUs are offering some great price/performance. I just build a rig with a R7 1700X and so far, smooth sailing. Looking forward to the long tail on the AM4 chipset for future upgrades.

Those Athlon XP's were a thing of beauty. The X64 has a lot of fond memories for me.

Jabronium

Looking for a case for a future build, been looking at the phantek enthoo evolv and the Fractal Meshify C which one should I go for?

Was looking at the Meshify myself. I've seen some complaints regarding cooling and the evolv, so that might be worth keeping in mind.

One of my ram sticks decided the kark it on my 2500k machine. Contemplating whether to buy 2 new faster sticks of memory from 1600mhz to 2100mhz. Or upgrade the whole machine.

The case fans are not working anymore. Usb ports intermittantly cut out on the motherboard side.

I was planning to keep it going until the 7nm cpu's come out.

How far are we till intel and amd hit 7nm?

hitme

Need a video card and M.2 SSD (and two RGB fans) left for my build. Also looking at an ultrawide to upgrade my monitor(s).

I'm assuming the Vega bundle is my best bet?

I'm srs

I did the SLI thing earlier this year. It was as stupid as I remember from a few years ago. I sold the system at cost and just recently built a new PC again but this time 1080ti. Common sense dictates that 1080 is fine for now but idiots do idiot things. I completely agree 1080->4k is the smart step up.

I will be completely floored if we cannot get 4k pc gaming next year with Volta.

Not like you're missing out on much. What games there there for PC that support HDR? Like.... 1?

I recently watched this video and it made me not give a single crap about HDR on a monitor right now.

3x0

Neo Member
Also finally trying to OC my 1700 again, this time with Ryzen Master. Confused about the vcore during benchmarks/in general. It'll spike up to 1.33 during regular use (probably normal?), but short spikes like on the left of the picture. Then during the Cinebench multithreaded it'll top out at 1.275 or so volts. Then during the single core it'll hit that 1.33 mark but it'll hold at 1.33 for the duration of the benchmark.

Google Voltage droop and Load line calibration. The more difficult the task, the more current (amps) is needed through the CPU core and as a result more resistance which drops the voltage.
Light load- more volts, heavy load- less volts more amps.
Most motherboards have a Load line calibration setting which compensates for the drop in voltage in transient loads.

I'm planning on upgrading to Coffee Lake later this year. I know there's rumor that these CPUs will need new mother boards, but does that mean I'll need to replace my CPU cooler? I'm currently rocking a Corsair Hydro 100. Or will we not know until it gets announced? Thanks.

Google Voltage droop and Load line calibration. The more difficult the task, the more current (amps) is needed through the CPU core and as a result more resistance which drops the voltage.
Light load- more volts, heavy load- less volts more amps.
Most motherboards have a Load line calibration setting which compensates for the drop in voltage in transient loads.

I should've paid more attention in my circuits courses. will check out

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
HDR is probably the most overhyped thing right now. Even if it was widely available it is a preference. Many people don't prefer super saturated colors and all that jazz. I feel the same about 4k to be honest. 1080p with all bells and whistles at 144hz is good enough for me. I see all these features as icing on the cake rather than something needed. I still want a 4k IPS HDR 144hz monitor to complement my pro however.

I once had a molex adapter catch fire. Were you using an adapter or just straight from the PSU?

If straight from the PSU I would replace it. Probably just a defect on that one cable but I wouldn't wanna risk it. Maybe post a pic?

Honestly the best bang for your buck is keeping your 2500k (overclock it) and just buy a new GPU and PSU. And then later on replace the CPU.

Here's a pic of the burnt cabling:

aozJNcl.jpg

I was not using and adapter. I lucked up and nothing but the hard drives were hurt. I put in a spare solid state drive I had and now I am off to the races again... I'm still not gonna leave it on when I am not in the room though, just to be safe.

ISee

I'm planning on upgrading to Coffee Lake later this year. I know there's rumor that these CPUs will need new mother boards, but does that mean I'll need to replace my CPU cooler? I'm currently rocking a Corsair Hydro 100. Or will we not know until it gets announced? Thanks.

Coolers will most probably still fit.

HDR is probably the most overhyped thing right now. Even if it was widely available it is a preference. Many people don't prefer super saturated colors and all that jazz. I feel the same about 4k to be honest. 1080p with all bells and whistles at 144hz is good enough for me. I see all these features as icing on the cake rather than something needed. I still want a 4k IPS HDR 144hz monitor to complement my pro however.

Me too, but I want an "affordable" ~500€ GPU that is able to deliver 4k/100+ fps first and I don't see one coming out for the next 3-4 years. I'd even say 4k/60 won't be easy to hit on high settings throughout 2018.

Gaf I'm interested in making a PC for just emulators/ old retro PC games from the mid 2000s/ and playing HD 1080p videos.

Anyone can recommend me the cheapest set up of parts?
I have a spare 560 ti. Would this be enough? also I have a spare case too.

Gaf I'm interested in making a PC for just emulators/ old retro PC games from the mid 2000s/ and playing HD 1080p videos.

Anyone can recommend me the cheapest set up of parts?
I have a spare 560 ti. Would this be enough? also I have a spare case too.

The 560 Ti should be fine for that. If you're looking at playing games from 2008 or earlier, you'll be using a mid-range card that came out in 2011. I'd be surprised if it can't handle almost everything except for maybe Crysis-type of games at near 60 FPS 1080p.

The absolute worst case, if things aren't running as well as you'd like, is that you could pick up a 1050 Ti for ~$150 or a used GPU from last generation for about $100.

Reich

Everything is up to date.

Just did a Windows reinstall. (format, update, etc.)

Here my build :

INTEL® CORE™ I5-6500 Processor 6M Cache 3.2GHZ
EVGA 650 GQ 80 Plus Gold 650W
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC 1607/1835 MHz 6GB GDDR5
ASUS Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake DDR4

Sound issue with hdmi, jack or usb.

Please take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/oQfZ1J-PGwA

Any advice to fix it ? :(

Top Bottom