• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Nothing like trying in vain to get a new computer to run games. So frustrating. PUBG? Black screen on startup. Witcher 3? Nothing at all. Fallout 4? Crashes in the launcher.

I'm guessing it's a RAM issue, but who knows.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
It will work but in single channel mode which can slightly affect performance in certain situations. You'll need to have in mind that the new stick needs to be similarly specced in terms of latency and speed otherwise they might not work at all or you'll need to set them to the same frequency/latency manually.

The mounts will be the same since the socket is the same. You might not need to buy a new motherboard if you don't need new chipset features Z370 will bring, since it's very possible 8700K will be compatible with Z170 motherboards.

i thought i needed to upgrade to a 300 series board if i wanted a coffee-lake cpu? i don't care much for any new features the 300 (or 200) series brings. if i could slot a 8700K into my Z170 board then that'd be great. i just thought i would need a Z370 to use a 8700K?

3x0

Neo Member
There's only speculation at this point, but it is a possibility the 8700k will be compatible with Z170, since it's the same socket.

FleenerW

I don't know much about hardware and I've never built a PC before, so I chose a build that PC Part Picker has a guide on. This card they recommend is currently sold out, but this one seems similar at a glance and is the same price, but I don't know what half of these terms and specs mean. I'm just interested in virtual reality and having games run as nice as possible on a $500 budget GPU. :/

How much worse off am I if I choose the available GPU?

I don't know much about hardware and I've never built a PC before, so I chose a build that PC Part Picker has a guide on. This card they recommend is currently sold out, but this one seems similar at a glance and is the same price, but I don't know what half of these terms and specs mean. I'm just interested in virtual reality and having games run as nice as possible on a $500 budget GPU. :/

How much worse off am I if I choose the available GPU?

The EVGA is actually clocked faster from factory, probably a bit noisier since it got two fans rather than the three that could be run slower for the same effect. But the Gigabyte equivalent to it is the $550 one. The prices are all kind of nosense at the moment, the EVGAs that should be the cheapest models are priced at $700, this is a tier above them.

Bloodember

Nothing like trying in vain to get a new computer to run games. So frustrating. PUBG? Black screen on startup. Witcher 3? Nothing at all. Fallout 4? Crashes in the launcher.

I'm guessing it's a RAM issue, but who knows.
Whats your specs? Have you ran a memtest?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
There's only speculation at this point, but it is a possibility the 8700k will be compatible with Z170, since it's the same socket.

cool, cheers. i guess i'll just keep up to date on it then and see what happens. i don't mind buying a new board but it would be cool if i could just remove my 6700K and stick a 8700K in.

FleenerW

The EVGA is actually clocked faster from factory, probably a bit noisier since it got two fans rather than the three that could be run slower for the same effect. But the Gigabyte equivalent to it is the $550 one. The prices are all kind of nosense at the moment, the EVGAs that should be the cheapest models are priced at $700, this is a tier above them.
Ah, thank you for the insight! Much appreciated!

Whats your specs? Have you ran a memtest?

Memtest came up with nothing.

Was just able to firestrike and time spy with no problems.

All stock speeds, no OC.

Ryzen 1700X
GTX 1080
16GB (2x8) Crucial 2133 RAM
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 mobo
250GB Samsung 960 m.2 + some random 2TB 7200 HDD
and I'm running @ 3440x1440

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, this my take on Threadripper for gaming:

The problem with TR is that, while a monster at multitasking, it's design introduces inherent limitations on gaming task: namely the core to core latency that you can find well explained a few post above. It even has a BIOS setting called game mode, where it changes the cache memory behavior and disables half of the threads, so you are not even-future proofing yourself for when games start to use more than 16 threads. And even though is one thread per-core, it still loses to the 1800x in some cases, which is already compromised in gaming performance when compared to Intel's. And this is without factoring OC, which is much better on Intel's atm.

Unless you require the quad-channel memory, express PCI-E lanes and the other perks of the platform, I would hold on TR for gaming and say that the 1700 is the sweet spot atm. Or go Intel if you want a "future proof" system, but I don't think that any current option can be called that, when they are not much better than a 2014 i7 5960x.

Am I right, or way of the mark?

Stupid question here.

I want to remove my graphics card drivers and do a clean/fresh install.
I'm curious if I can do this with DDU if i'm using a Ryzen CPU? I know it has no onboard graphics whatsoever so I don't want to be stuck on a black screen after uninstalling them.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Stupid question here.

I want to remove my graphics card drivers and do a clean/fresh install.
I'm curious if I can do this with DDU if i'm using a Ryzen CPU since I know it has no onboard graphics whatsoever.

doesn't matter what CPU you have. DDU removes the GPU card drivers nothing to do with onboard graphics. your display cable is plugged into the dedicated card so even if you had an intel CPU you wouldn't even be using the onboard graphics.

Bloodember

Memtest came up with nothing.

Was just able to firestrike and time spy with no problems.

All stock speeds, no OC.

Ryzen 1700X
GTX 1080
16GB (2x8) Crucial 2133 RAM
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 mobo
250GB Samsung 960 m.2 + some random 2TB 7200 HDD
and I'm running @ 3440x1440
Then most likely it has nothing to do with your memory. What psu do you have? Have you installed all drivers? Most notably the graphics drivers. If so are they the newest ones from nvidia's website.

Then most likely it has nothing to do with your memory. What psu do you have? Have you installed all drivers? Most notably the graphics drivers. If so are they the newest ones from nvidia's website.

Corsair CX750M
And yeah, I've installed the latest graphics drivers and reflashed the BIOS to the latest version.

A little bit ago I got Witcher 3 to load somewhat, and I'm not exactly sure how the game opens, but it looked like there were cutscenes you could skip, which were just black screens with a "Space - skip" UI element, until the game engine loaded in and I could run around as Geralt and everything looked more-or-less fine. It was weird.

Edit: maaaaaaybe it was my audio interface? I unplugged that and PUBG loaded right up. Witcher too. FML, I can't believe I wasted 7 hours on that.

Bloodember

Corsair CX750M
And yeah, I've installed the latest graphics drivers and reflashed the BIOS to the latest version.

A little bit ago I got Witcher 3 to load somewhat, and I'm not exactly sure how the game opens, but it looked like there were cutscenes you could skip, which were just black screens with a "Space - skip" UI element, until the game engine loaded in and I could run around as Geralt and everything looked more-or-less fine. It was weird.

Edit: maaaaaaybe it was my audio interface? I unplugged that and PUBG loaded right up.
Ah, yeah it might possibly have been. Keep testing, glad you got it running.

BFIB

My current build:

i5 2500K
8GB RAM (not sure of the make/model)

Would a GPU suffice for now? I just started a replay of Witcher 3 on my PS4, but the idea of finally experiencing this game in 60FPS is starting to intrigue me on a GPU upgrade. I currently have an Nvidia 670.

Recommendations? I'm gaming at 1080P (though I've thought about upgrading to a larger monitor as well).

It was $299 at Micro Center a while back, but it was a tough get. I'm pretty sure my local store just hid theirs until it was over.

It seems to go for $299 frequently.

Right now it's $279 if you pair it with a compatible motherboard. That's a great fucking price.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/472529/Core_i7-7700K_Kaby_Lake_42_GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor

My current build:

i5 2500K
8GB RAM (not sure of the make/model)

Would a GPU suffice for now? I just started a replay of Witcher 3 on my PS4, but the idea of finally experiencing this game in 60FPS is starting to intrigue me on a GPU upgrade. I currently have an Nvidia 670.

Recommendations? I'm gaming at 1080P (though I've thought about upgrading to a larger monitor as well).

How much you willing to spend?

Guffers

I have a 1080ti and have been using a 40inch 4K Phillips monitor. It's often stunning but the response time and rampant ghosting in dark scenes are getting on my nerves. I'm thinking I downsize and take advantage of G Sync. What are people's thoughts on TNF displays such as this one?

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/34668/acer-xb281hk-28in-4k-g-sync-widescreen-gaming-monitor/

The 60hz limit doesn't really bother me as I still have my 4670k and won't be upgrading for a couple of years I don't think. If I can get 60fps I'm happy enough for now as I don't play twitch shooters.

Because go and read your CPU spec, the memory controller is rated at 2400mhz.
The ram will work at 4000mhz as long as the CPU memory controller is good enough. That's the lowest common denominator, not the ram or the mobo.

QVL can just be ignored. I've never used it in years of building. RAM is the same, the memory chips are from just a few brands and the rest of marketing/binning.

Happy to say that my new sticks worked great! 3733mhz goodness & my 7700k @ 5.2ghz. Very pleased!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Nothing wrong with these two but the ones I listed are cheaper and do the job just fine.
And no point getting the Sea Hawk at that price, that's 1080 Ti territory.

Very good point, thanks again for your help man, I've really appreciated it.

amnesiac

My friend is offering me this computer for $400 and was wondering if it's a good deal.

Sapphire Vapor-X R9 280X OC
Intel Core i5-4590 3.30 ghz
8gb RAM
250gb SSD
Logitech G Pro Gaming Mouse
Corsair K70 Keyboard
Asus Z87-A motherboard
Thermal take case
Asia VE247H 23" monitor

For content creators; photo and video editors and special effects peeps...

I want the g.skill RGB ram (4 sticks) but 64GB DDR4 (4x 3600mhz sticks) is fucking expensive. I'm debating if its worth it over 32GB.

It's hard for me to decide if I can justify it for my workstation. Does anyone here have experiences with workflows in both 32 and 64 gigs? How much saved time am I looking at. Particularly with the moment-to-moment ram preview workflows while editing as well as heavy computational effects like Trapcode particular.
I want to get into a bit of 3d modelling (cinema 4D) but not anything crazy.

Secondly, would a 960 SSD have great workflow benefits over a 850 SSD? A 500GB Samsung 850 Evo is considerable cheaper than a 960 Evo. I'm just looking for app speed increases I can feel. the snappier everything gets, the better.

But I've heard some people say that its only a specific niche that will benefit from 960s speed as SATA 3 is being pushed to a point where the benefits cannot be felt in many circumstances?

Thirdly, I've been looking for a good deal for a 1080 Ti. What would you consider a good deal? 600 dollars? 500? Is there any cards I should be on the lookout for?

I'm torn between the Asus STRIX which I think looks wonderful. But I see some of the other manufactures have cheaper variations on newegg.

I want the g.skill RGB ram (4 sticks) but 64GB DDR4 (4x 3600mhz sticks) is fucking expensive. I'm debating if its worth it over 32GB.

It's hard for me to decide if I can justify it for my workstation. Does anyone here have experiences with workflows in both 32 and 64 gigs? How much saved time am I looking at. Particularly with the moment-to-moment ram preview workflows while editing as well as heavy computational effects like Trapcode particular.

Secondly, would a 960 SSD have great workflow benefits over a 850 SSD? A 500GB Samsung 850 Evo is considerable cheaper than a 960 Evo. I'm just looking for app speed increases I can feel. the snappier everything gets, the better.

But I've heard some people say that its only a specific niche that will benefit from 960s speed as SATA 3 is being pushed to a point where the benefits cannot be felt in many circumstances?

Thirdly, I've been looking for a good deal for a 1080 Ti. What would you consider a good deal? 600 dollars? 500? Is there any cards I should be on the lookout for?

I'm torn between the Asus STRIX which I think looks wonderful. But I see some of the other manufactures have cheaper variations on newegg.

I can't imagine a situation where simply closing the other program wouldn't solve your problems unless you are making some crazy scenes. I work heavily with cinema 4d and after effects, very rarely the ram usage in a single program would go over 18GB. When you do get close to your limit, which happens when you leave everything open, it usually asks you to close After Effects before other software. Also, the more ram you have, the bigger the cache files, and page files in windows so that can fill up your SSds if you don't purge them often..

I use a 64gb Macpro at work and the biggest benefit is that I leave everything open from 9am to 5pm, but cinema 4d is considerably faster on my home machine despite having half the ram. After effects is only faster at work because the 10GB Ethernet connection to the servers with the files and the extra cores in the Xeons. So I would recommend getting a CPU that is $300 more expensive before getting the 64 GB of ram. Build in in a way that you can add them later if you need them, however. none of them 4GB sticks in this day and age.

You wont notice any difference between those SSDs.

My friend is offering me this computer for $400 and was wondering if it's a good deal.

Sapphire Vapor-X R9 280X OC
Intel Core i5-4590 3.30 ghz
8gb RAM
250gb SSD
Logitech G Pro Gaming Mouse
Corsair K70 Keyboard
Asus Z87-A motherboard
Thermal take case
Asia VE247H 23" monitor

That is a good deal. Might need to add storage as 250GB isn't a lot but depends on your use of course.

Could also upgrade that GPU now or down the line and have a decent little gaming rig.

Newegg got me with this bait and switch 10% ram deal. It ended somewhere this afternoon instead of in at midnight as advertised, but I'm ready to pull the trigger on this i7 6850K.

Somebody asked me few pages back about the performance of old games with ryzen. I have ryzen 5 1600 and a GTX 1080. Just played Bioshock 1 and was able to reach easily 180 200fps with Max settings. Screen tearing everywhere because my monitor sucks and it is a 60hz lol. My new 144hz will come next week.

So yes, ryzen does well with older games

I can't imagine a situation where simply closing the other program wouldn't solve your problems unless you are making some crazy scenes. I work heavily with cinema 4d and after effects, very rarely the ram usage in a single program would go over 18GB. When you do get close to your limit, which happens when you leave everything open, it usually asks you to close After Effects before other software. Also, the more ram you have, the bigger the cache files, and page files in windows so that can fill up your SSds if you don't purge them often..

I use a 64gb Macpro at work and the biggest benefit is that I leave everything open from 9am to 5pm, but cinema 4d is considerably faster on my home machine despite having half the ram. After effects is only faster at work because the 10GB Ethernet connection to the servers with the files and the extra cores in the Xeons. So I would recommend getting a CPU that is $300 more expensive before getting the 64 GB of ram. Build in in a way that you can add them later if you need them, however. none of them 4GB sticks in this day and age.

You wont notice any difference between those SSDs.

Interesting! Thank you:)

My system (current one) is maxed out at 8GB DDR3!

How often do you purge your cache? And do you have a designated SSD just for your scratch disks? Would it be beneficial to have 256 GB SSD only as a scratch disk?

Sarcasm

I need help! I was literally doing nothing. Chatting with friends on discord when both of my screens showed discoloration. Then my PC froze. So I rebooted and it showed BIOS post just fine but then never booted in.

I tried the mobo VGA and stuff (couldn't see BIOS post at all)..but back on GPU (can see bios post). Can only use one monitor in reduce resolution mode. I am plugged into my GTX 670 and control panel doesn't reconize the GPU.

How do I fix this?

I think my GPU is dead and I have no way to test it.

GPU prices here are ridiculous too =(

Friend is about ready to pull the trigger on his PC Parts
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KCZ8NN

Any changes he should make or is this fine?

Yes, there are changes he should make.

1200w really not necessary unless he plans on adding another 1080Ti.

Also: 3 grand on a system but a $40 CPU cooler? That needs to be an AIO.

Lastly: $769 for the Aorus Xtreme on stupid fans or $49 more for the hybrid version? No brainer.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...BoS_RxVO6Vh36ebVUF0aAtzLEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Now THAT is a system I would like to see pics of when built.

Arex

I've only ran through 32GB limit at work, when running 3D softwares, Photoshop (big files), and UE4 (Big maps), plus some other stuff at the same time lol. Honestly, unless you have ultrawide monitors or dual monitors that you can multitask on, 32 should be enough. My home use, 32 is a plenty. You can use the money to get better CPU or GPU, and wait till the RAM price goes down :)

egruntz

shelaughz
Yes, there are changes he should make.

1200w really not necessary unless he plans on adding another 1080Ti.

Also: 3 grand on a system but a $40 CPU cooler? That needs to be an AIO.

Lastly: $769 for the Aorus Xtreme on stupid fans or $49 more for the hybrid version? No brainer.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...BoS_RxVO6Vh36ebVUF0aAtzLEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Now THAT is a system I would like to see pics of when built.

That psu, he doesn't need a 1200w psu at all, a 550w to 650w is all he needs.

Hi all

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/q4THyf

How does this look?

I plan to mine cryptocurrencies which is why I wanted a ton more voltage than I'd typically need. I'm assured the extra wattage isn't being used if it's not needed, so it's not wasting energy. Correct me if that's wrong?

Is there a better Cooler Master CPU cooler I should be getting? :D Money not an issue, just best recommendation thanks!!
http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Lines/cpu-liquid-cooler/
Which of these is a self-contained loop? I don't want to or know how to do maintenance on liquid cooling...

Smokey

Actually downgraded my setup. Sold my Swift and a few other monitors, and just picked up a 1060 today. This is my second time owning one. All in all I have had 2 1060s, 1 1070, and 2 1080Tis. I'm done. With the HDR monitors being delayed until 2018, gonna be sitting on this 1060/1080p combo for a good minute.

Top Bottom