• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Thanks for the suggested build, thats a great help.

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to CPUs, is there a reason to go with the Ryzen vs like an i7 7700? I've generally always had intel CPUs in past builds but I'm up for whatever is best

ISee

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to CPUs, is there a reason to go with the Ryzen vs like an i7 7700? I've generally always had intel CPUs in past builds but I'm up for whatever is best

Yes, the i7 7700k is for sure the faster CPU for gaming, but it is getting hard to recommend one atm (just for perspective; I'm running a 7700k build myself).
New i7 models are about to hit the market in 1.5-2 months and they are greatly improved because they have 2 more cores and can handle 4 more threads in total . That's not a game changer today, but could become very important for future performance (and CPU longevity).
It would also make more sense to go with the r5 1600 instead of the r7 1700 for a pure gaming build, to be honest with you. At least from a performance/cost point of view, because the 1700 is more expansive, but about as fast as the 1600. Still, we're talking about $3000 build and +/- $100 don't make a big difference (imo) and the r7 is a 8 core / 16 thread CPU, while the r5 is "just" a 6core/12 thread CPU. In the end the r7 has the perspective to age a lot better than the r5.
It's a bit like going with the i7 2600k instead of the cheaper i5 2500k (six years ago). Initially they performed very similar in games. but 2500ks are running out of breath in many games today, while old i7s are able to hold out (and will probably be good enough until this console generation ends).

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

But now, the question is, is it worth waiting for the next i7s? I did want to make a new pc sooner rather than later, and there's always the "if i just wait, i can get the new thing!" problem, but if those are that close, are they going to be that much better that it might be worth the wait?

Edit: as a side note to this, are you able to just upgrade a CPU? Like if I get the ryzen now and a year or so from now I want to upgrade, can I just switch out the CPU?

But now, the question is, is it worth waiting for the next i7s? I did want to make a new pc sooner rather than later, and there's always the "if i just wait, i can get the new thing!" problem, but if those are that close, are they going to be that much better that it might be worth the wait?

Edit: as a side note to this, are you able to just upgrade a CPU? Like if I get the ryzen now and a year or so from now I want to upgrade, can I just switch out the CPU?

Whether you can upgrade the CPU depends on whether Intel/AMD use the same chipset/socket for their next CPU line as their current CPU line. Right now, AMD is using the AM4 socket and Intel is using the LGA1151 socket. Ryzen wins here easily; the socket is expected to be the same for at least 2-3 more years whereas the current Intel socket is likely dead within 6-12 months. If you want to be able to easily swap out a CPU (without getting a new motherboard as well) within 2-3 years but you also want to build today, Ryzen is your only choice.

I see, interesting...

I mean with the above system build I should certainly be fine for a couple of years, and after 3 years I can then think of some larger upgrades than just the cpu anyway, so I probably shouldn't worry so much and just go for it now

btw, I really appreciate all the input guys, I get very nervous when it comes to large purchases so all the info is a great help

G.Newell

So I'm still having an issue with my computer and I'm running out of ideas on what to do.
I was fixing and updating a few things when I noticed my bios was well out of date and so updated it. The update wasn't interrupted and when it finished it restarted.
Since then it won't boot up and just shuts itself down after 10 seconds and no peripherals light up. Nothing on the monitor either.

I've tried clearing the bios, I've stripped it down and rebuilt it, swapped the ram and tried just one stick but nothing has changed.

I have a i7-4790k with a GA-Z97X-UD3H motherboard.

Anyone got any ideas on what I could try or is my motherboard done?

So I'm still having an issue with my computer and I'm running out of ideas on what to do.
I was fixing and updating a few things when I noticed my bios was well out of date and so updated it. The update wasn't interrupted and when it finished it restarted.
Since then it won't boot up and just shuts itself down after 10 seconds and no peripherals light up. Nothing on the monitor either.

I've tried clearing the bios, I've stripped it down and rebuilt it, swapped the ram and tried just one stick but nothing has changed.

Have you tried switching to the Backup BIOS? I'm not sure how you switch in your board. Mine has a little switch on the surface.

IMACOMPUTA

You probably already tried this, but try unplugging everything except keyboard and monitor and see what happens.
I had a faulty USB hub preventing my PC from booting once.

G.Newell

You probably already tried this, but try unplugging everything except keyboard and monitor and see what happens.
I had a faulty USB hub preventing my PC from booting once.

Yeah ive tried with everything unplugged and also only the monitor but it's still not working.

Have you tried switching to the Backup BIOS? I'm not sure how you switch in your board. Mine has a little switch on the surface.

This was something that I was thinking would work but I've tried the clear CMOS, removing the bios battery and following the instructions online to force the backup bios but no luck so far.

Yeah ive tried with everything unplugged and also only the monitor but it's still not working.

This was something that I was thinking would work but I've tried the clear CMOS, removing the bios battery and following the instructions online to force the backup bios but no luck so far.

That sucks dude. Something may have happened during the flash but it definitely sounds like your board is borked.

I've always subscribed to the "if everything is working, don't update" rule for BIOS.

ISee

Yes, this one time I'd recommend waiting for the new i7 if you want to go the intel route.
+ what Soka said, with one small addition: the new i7 will be LGA1151 v2 and not just LGA1151. Intel did this to make it 100% incompatible with current MBs... which still pisses me of a tiny bit.

If you want to buy now, get the R7, a nice cooler, the 1080Ti and a gsync monitor. You'll probably just need to upgrade your GPU in the future (~4 years) but not your CPU anyway (hopefully).

G.Newell

That sucks dude. Something may have happened during the flash but it definitely sounds like your board is borked.

I've always subscribed to the "if everything is working, don't update" rule for BIOS.

Yeah I'll definitely be following that rule from now on.

Guess I'll need to decide whether to replace my motherboard only or go the full route and upgrade to ryzen to get on ddr4

Yes, this one time I'd recommend waiting for the new i7 if you want to go the intel route.
+ what Soka said, with one small addition: the new i7 will be LGA1151 v2 and not just LGA1151. Intel did this to make it 100% incompatible with current MBs... which still pisses me of a tiny bit.

If you want to buy now, get the R7, a nice cooler, the 1080Ti and a gsync monitor. You'll probably just need to upgrade your GPU in the future (~4 years) but not your CPU anyway (hopefully).

Yeah, I'm guessing having to upgrade CPU won't be a major concern any time soon, so the ryzen should probably be fine for me instead of waiting.

Side note, I noticed in the build you linked, there's a note that the cooler might need a separate mounting adapter to fit that motherboard?

Edit: Also, do motherboards exist yet that actually support the new i7s?

ISee

Yeah, I'm guessing having to upgrade CPU won't be a major concern any time soon, so the ryzen should probably be fine for me instead of waiting.

Side note, I noticed in the build you linked, there's a note that the cooler might need a separate mounting adapter to fit that motherboard?

Edit: Also, do motherboards exist yet that actually support the new i7s?

The cooler might be sitting in a pre-ryzen box without the correct bracket, or it can be one with the new bracket included. No way to know currently and can be the case with most coolers currently. Anyway, if there is no AM4 bracket included you can order one for free from cryorig.

Not currently. There will be two high end chipsets for the i7 8700k though. The z370 series will/should be available when the CPU becomes available in ~2 months. Those boards will be rebranded z270 mbs (mostly), but with the "new" LGA 1511 v2 socket. Better z390 boards will be available Q1/2018. They will have native usb 3.1 support (z370 will use a third party chip on the mb for that, just like z270) and all z390 mbs will have build in WiFi.

m29a

Neo Member
Man I can't wait for the 8700k to come out already. I know it'll still be awhile but it's time to move on from my oc'd 2500k.

If you're not in a rush, it probably would be best to wait till later this year for the new i7 range to launch (8700K). It's hard to say since nobody knows how they'll perform, but if they're just on par with the 7700K for gaming performance and have 6 cores then they'll be more worthwhile than a Ryzen 1600 or 1700 with your budget.

Though I have an R5 1600 paired with a regular 1080 and I'm really fucking happy with how it performs in games.

Hey guys - new to PC gaming here. Bought a tower from somebody in the B/S/T thread and have been pretty happy with everything so far. I am able to play older games without issues. XCOM 2 on low settings is still fun, but I'd love to play at a bit higher level.

PUBG is unplayable. It just chugs on lowest of low settings. That's one I'd like to get into, if I could.

What types of parts would I need to look into to improve this performance? Knowing next to nothing about computer components I would assume a graphics card but aside from that? No idea.

Looks like these are the specs of the computer right now, from what I can find. Not sure what is important and what is not.

Intel HD Graphics 530
Intel Core i5-6400 2.70GHz
8gb RAM
Motherboard is a 560-p015HVR (if I found that right?)
Looks like there is no dedicated GPU and is integrated into the CPU.
Have a 1TB HDD
100GB SSD

Budget wise I can put in maybe $150-$200 right now and more down the line. Where can I get the most bang for my buck? Or am I SOL? I don't do any video editing or heavy usage aside from gaming so I don't know if that changes anything.

Risto

Banned
Hey guys - new to PC gaming here. Bought a tower from somebody in the B/S/T thread and have been pretty happy with everything so far. I am able to play older games without issues. XCOM 2 on low settings is still fun, but I'd love to play at a bit higher level.

PUBG is unplayable. It just chugs on lowest of low settings. That's one I'd like to get into, if I could.

What types of parts would I need to look into to improve this performance? Knowing next to nothing about computer components I would assume a graphics card but aside from that? No idea.

Looks like these are the specs of the computer right now, from what I can find. Not sure what is important and what is not.

Intel HD Graphics 530
Intel Core i5-6400 2.70GHz
8gb RAM
Motherboard is a 560-p015HVR (if I found that right?)
Looks like there is no dedicated GPU and is integrated into the CPU.
Have a 1TB HDD
100GB SSD

Budget wise I can put in maybe $150-$200 right now and more down the line. Where can I get the most bang for my buck? Or am I SOL? I don't do any video editing or heavy usage aside from gaming so I don't know if that changes anything.

For the $150 range you could find a 1050 ti. That's the GPU I have in this budget pc and I can 1080p/60fps pretty much every game on high settings including stuff like Witcher 3. I only have a G4560 CPU and I'm pretty sure your i5 would be a lot better.

senj

Picked up a 1080 Ti this week, and wow. Still only on a 1080p screen for the moment, but rendering at 4K and downsampling is still an amazing step up in quality.

Is this the thread to ask about cheap but good enough laptops? Pretty sure mine is dead =(

Looking for something $500 or less.

I'm looking at the Acer Aspire E15 here, but if there's something better out there around the same price or $100 or so more I'm listening.

Already have an SSD to put in. Only issue I see is 4GB of memory is garbage so would have to add another $40-45 for more memory.

Edit: I realize an i3 with integrated graphics is not going to get me very far with gaming. I just need something decent and reliable. Doesnt have to have a separate graphics card but it would be nice if I can get that for $500.

ISee

Is this the thread to ask about cheap but good enough laptops? Pretty sure mine is dead =(

Looking for something $500 or less.

I'm looking at the Acer Aspire E15 here, but if there's something better out there around the same price or $100 or so more I'm listening.

Already have an SSD to put in. Only issue I see is 4GB of memory is garbage so would have to add another $40-45 for more memory.

Edit: I realize an i3 with integrated graphics is not going to get me very far with gaming. I just need something decent and reliable. Doesnt have to have a separate graphics card but it would be nice if I can get that for $500.

Current generation Gaming Laptops are great and made a huge jump forward when it comes to performance, because they no longer use strange, mobile variants of current day GPUs. Instead they're using desktop GPUs, but with a lower clock frequencies. The problem is: there is no Laptop with a modern pascal 10series GPU available for $500 and I wouldn't recommend getting something else.

If $600 is your maximum budget I'd recommend getting a PS4 (non pro) for $270 and a decent 15" i3 based laptop (with 4gb or ram, no dedicated GPU and a hdd, because you already have a ssd) for ~$350 instead (more then enough for office, browsing, watching movies etc.). I understand that this isn't the advise you were hopping for, but gaming laptops with 960m GPUs (and anything below a 1050Ti) isn't good enough and will give you worse performance than a PS4, for more money total.

If you still want to buy a gaming laptop try getting something with an i5 and a GTX 1050Ti or 1060 3G, at least.

Current generation Gaming Laptops are great and made a huge jump forward when it comes to performance, because they no longer use strange, mobile variants of current day GPUs. Instead they're using desktop GPUs, but with a lower clock frequencies. The problem is: there is no Laptop with a modern pascal 10series GPU available for $500 and I wouldn't recommend getting something else.

If $600 is your maximum budget I'd recommend getting a PS4 (non pro) for $270 and a decent 15" i3 based laptop (with 4gb or ram, no dedicated GPU and a hdd, because you already have a ssd) for ~$350 instead (more then enough for office, browsing, watching movies etc.). I understand that this isn't the advise you were hopping for, but gaming laptops with 960m GPUs (and anything below a 1050Ti) isn't good enough and will give you worse performance than a PS4, for more money total.

If you still want to buy a gaming laptop try getting something with an i5 and a GTX 1050Ti or 1060 3G, at least.
Ok thanks for the info. Will probably just buy the $350 one since I dont actually game much at all on it. Already have a few PS4s lol thats where I do my gaming.

Thanks!

Jyrii

Banned
Do I need the to connect the 4-pin ATX of the motherboard?

The PSU I bought doesn't have one. I have attached the 24-pin one.

The rig has 1050ti that doesn't have own power cord, if that matters.

I've been working on buying parts for a build for 5-6 months, but feel burned having dropped the dough on a 7700k and a nice ROG Z270 motherboard.

Seeing the leaks of the 6-core Kaby Lake R, makes me want that as the rest of the build has been postponed due to life circumstances, which also in turn makes me want to wait for Volta.
So now Im sitting here with an unopened 7700k, ROG motherboard, PSU, cablemod and a X62 Kraken (which I dont know if it will "fit" on the new motherboard standard).

I hear Kaby Lake R will use a tiny different pin-configuration making it very similar to existing LG 1551..

:(

Do you guys think the improvements will be huge? Are you really going to feel those extra 2 cores in your daily workflow?

gravedanger

Neo Member
I'm also looking to build a new PC in the immediate future and it will be about 4 years since I've had a desktop. I've been playing on console since then.

The only thing really holding me back (besides lack of knowledge about current hardware) is the display for the PC. I've never ever really been happy with the quality of the PC monitors I've had in the past compared to my televisions. That leads me to a couple questions and requests for suggestions...

I have a 65 inch LG OLED. Obviously nothing will beat the picture quality this thing produces, hence why I gravitate more towards just hooking up a PS4 Pro to it. I'm old school and have never actually tried hooking up a PC to a television and using it with a wireless mouse and keyboard at a distance. Does anyone do this regularly and recommend it?

If not, what are the current displays out there for PCs that really produce great image quality and also support HDR? I'd probably be looking for something at 4K, but a colleague said I should be looking at high refresh rate displays. I'm totally open to this but I'm not sure the panels in such displays would be as good looking as those in a standard 60hz 4k Panel.

I'm planning on splashing out big on hardware (1080ti) so I think I can drive 4K reasonably, but maybe it makes sense to step down to a lower res/higher refresh rate.

Overall I think I am confused because there seems to be a lot of different tech in the display market right now and I am not sure there is one that ticks all the boxes compared to just hooking it up to an OLED.

Guffers

Gaf I'm an idiot and need help.

Tonight I tried installing two new sticks of RAM. I was careful and gentle and ensured they were in the correct way. I turn on my PC and nothing. Fans power up, GPU lights up but nothing else happens. Black screen. After a minute or so the PC shuts itself down and then tries restarting itself with the same result.

Thinking I had bad RAM I switched the two new sticks out with my old single stick, in its original socket and I get the same outcome. Lights, fans but black screen and the pc trying to restart itself. What the fuck have I done? I've gone through the case with a fine tooth comb and everything is plugged into where it should be as far as I can tell.

I'm so mad at myself, 30 minutes ago I had a perfectly functional PC and now I don't.

Any help would be much appreciated !

Renekton

The only thing really holding me back (besides lack of knowledge about current hardware) is the display for the PC. I've never ever really been happy with the quality of the PC monitors I've had in the past compared to my televisions. That leads me to a couple questions and requests for suggestions...

I have a 65 inch LG OLED. Obviously nothing will beat the picture quality this thing produces, hence why I gravitate more towards just hooking up a PS4 Pro to it. I'm old school and have never actually tried hooking up a PC to a television and using it with a wireless mouse and keyboard at a distance. Does anyone do this regularly and recommend it?

If not, what are the current displays out there for PCs that really produce great image quality and also support HDR? I'd probably be looking for something at 4K, but a colleague said I should be looking at high refresh rate displays. I'm totally open to this but I'm not sure the panels in such displays would be as good looking as those in a standard 60hz 4k Panel.

I'm planning on splashing out big on hardware (1080ti) so I think I can drive 4K reasonably, but maybe it makes sense to step down to a lower res/higher refresh rate.
Nothing can touch the OLED for image quality and HDR, so your colleague is right that you should get the monitor for a different purpose that TV cannot touch - high refresh, low lag and adaptive sync.

Gaf I'm an idiot and need help.

Tonight I tried installing two new sticks of RAM. I was careful and gentle and ensured they were in the correct way. I turn on my PC and nothing. Fans power up, GPU lights up but nothing else happens. Black screen. After a minute or so the PC shuts itself down and then tries restarting itself with the same result.

Thinking I had bad RAM I switched the two new sticks out with my old single stick, in its original socket and I get the same outcome. Lights, fans but black screen and the pc trying to restart itself. What the fuck have I done? I've gone through the case with a fine tooth comb and everything is plugged into where it should be as far as I can tell.

I'm so mad at myself, 30 minutes ago I had a perfectly functional PC and now I don't.

Any help would be much appreciated !

Try plugging one stick in at a time in each different RAM slot, see if it will post that way.

AlanOC91

Argh going to order a 1080ti but I send everything I order to my parents house because of work but they are away for the week on holidays so I'll have to wait a week.

That's the general thought on the best 1080ti?

Jyrii

Banned
Soo I am not getting any video.

I think all cables should be attached and CPU-fan is running. Weirdly I don't get the computer to shut down pressing the power button down though.

Motherboard is Asrock A320M-HDV, processor is Ryzen 3 1200 and ram is 1x8GB stick of Corsair valueram 2133 DDR4.

I just only now noticed that apparrently I need BIOS P2.00 for Ryzen 3. Would that be the likely cause that I don't get picture? I think I could get the MB to local store for bios update, if necessary.

I have tried connecting with HDMI, and DP-cables and to both my tv and my monitor. I also tried using both the GPU and the MB's connector.

ISee

Do I need the to connect the 4-pin ATX of the motherboard?

The PSU I bought doesn't have one. I have attached the 24-pin one.

The rig has 1050ti that doesn't have own power cord, if that matters.

If you want your CPU to get power, yes.

Argh going to order a 1080ti but I send everything I order to my parents house because of work but they are away for the week on holidays so I'll have to wait a week.

Asus Strix, Gigabyte Aurors, MSI Gaming X/Z, EVGA FTW 3. Take your pick.

In terms of overclocking? I believe it's the Galax HoF. Though it is ugly as fuck.

GALAX-GTX-1080-TI-HOF-LCD.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA15swthZGs

Jyrii

Banned
Though now the pc doesn't start up at all, if I attach that cable. I used the part that says "CPU".

Edit. because sure, it can go in both ways, but will only work one way.

Jyrii

Banned
Soo I am not getting any video.

I think all cables should be attached and CPU-fan is running. Weirdly I don't get the computer to shut down pressing the power button down though.

Motherboard is Asrock A320M-HDV, processor is Ryzen 3 1200 and ram is 1x8GB stick of Corsair valueram 2133 DDR4.

I just only now noticed that apparrently I need BIOS P2.00 for Ryzen 3. Would that be the likely cause that I don't get picture? I think I could get the MB to local store for bios update, if necessary.

I have tried connecting with HDMI, and DP-cables and to both my tv and my monitor. I also tried using both the GPU and the MB's connector.

Ok this is incresingly weird.
The motherboard actually has a sticker that says the provides BIOS is 2.30. I attached the missing 4-pin ATX-cable and the computer boots normally now.

But I still don't get any video. when I attach the pc on my tv, it recognizes something as the picture goes from blue to black, but then I get the "no video" message. I also tried using dvi, but no video.

This is likely caused by some thing I have or haven't done, but what might it be?

Ok this is incresingly weird.
The motherboard actually has a sticker that says the provides BIOS is 2.30. I attached the missing 4-pin ATX-cable and the computer boots normally now.

But I still don't get any video. when I attach the pc on my tv, it recognizes something as the picture goes from blue to black, but then I get the "no video" message. I also tried using dvi, but no video.

This is likely caused by some thing I have or haven't done, but what might it be?

You're connected through graphics card to the tv, right?

ISee

Though now the pc doesn't start up at all, if I attach that cable. I used the part that says "CPU".

Edit. because sure, it can go in both ways, but will only work one way.

There is normally some sort of marker both on the cable and on the mb to show which way to plug it in ;)

coughlanio

Just sold my PC today, Intel 6800K and GTX 1080, primarily because a guy offered me a good price, and I've been considering moving to an ITX machine.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the following:

AMD Ryzen R7-1800x
ASRock x370 ITX motherboard
16GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200
GTX 1080 Ti Mini
Noctua NH-L9a CPU Cooler
Corsair SF600 Power Supply
Fractal Design Node 202 Case

I already have a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 that I'm going to use. All in all, it's costing me about $200 on top of what I sold my PC for. Any issues?

The Node 202 isn't my first choice, but it's one of the smaller cases that's readily available and not too expensive. I'd be looking at moving to a Sentry or DAN-A4 once they become available again.

SigSig

Hey GAF, I'm currently building a PC for VR content creation and demoing as well as (VR) gaming.
I'm in Germany and have a budget of about 2000€.
Software-wise, I'll be using Unreal Engine 4 and Blender for modelling and my VR headset is an HTC Vive.

I'm thinking about 7700k and GTX 1080 Ti, but I'm unsure about the form factor and thus case, mainboard, hsf etc.

I want to be able to easily transport the PC (via public transport if needed) to demo my stuff and use it at LAN parties, so the case should probably fit a rucksack and thus it needs to be SFF? Or are there decent carrying solutions for this (boxes, bags) which can fit mid-towers? Can I just stuff the PC into a suitcase on wheels with some padding and I don't need to worry about cards wiggling loose etc.?

Hey GAF, I'm currently building a PC for VR content creation and demoing as well as (VR) gaming.
I'm in Germany and have a budget of about 2000€.
Software-wise, I'll be using Unreal Engine 4 and Blender for modelling and my VR headset is an HTC Vive.

I'm thinking about 7700k and GTX 1080 Ti, but I'm unsure about the form factor and thus case, mainboard, hsf etc.

I want to be able to easily transport the PC (via public transport if needed) to demo my stuff and use it at LAN parties, so the case should probably fit a rucksack and thus it needs to be SFF? Or are there decent carrying solutions for this (boxes, bags) which can fit mid-towers? Can I just stuff the PC into a suitcase on wheels with some padding and I don't need to worry about cards wiggling loose etc.?

If you look into an ITX build, you could potentially stuff the thing into a large backpack. Given you plan to do actual modelling, it might be worth looking into a Ryzen build instead, due to the more cores to work with. You could go either above or below the 7700k in terms of price with a 1700 or 1700X.

Edit:
Incidentally Zotac have released a GTX 1080 Ti mini, which could fit your needs. Bitwit demonstrated it a build not entirely unlike what you might look into.

Top Bottom