• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

All the games I play default to one screen. In Windows, go to your Display options and there are some settings you can play with that might be helpful, such as whether you want the screens extended (this is probably what you want), duplicated, etc. If you play games in full-screen, they'll almost always default to your main monitor, but if you play in windowed mode, you can drag them between the screens as you see fit.

You can also disable the taskbar on the secondary monitor if you want, which is what I did. Just right click your task bar and select Taskbar Settings, then scroll down to the Multiple Displays settings area and choose your options as you see fit.

nice, thanks man

Garlador

Okay so... my computer went on the fritz during a storm last week and, despite having a surge protector, it appears to be dead in the water and the tech guys are saying it's probably the motherboard after ruling out the power unit and other alternatives. Thankfully, I saved most of my important data on external harddrives.

I'm VASTLY intimidated by buying computers in general due to price and an endless stream of options with techy names I never can remember, but I know I need good performance since one of my side-jobs is 3D modeling, animation, and rendering. Gaming would be a nice bonus, but I never really got around to a good gaming rig before.

At this point, I don't know what to do. I'm sure I could salvage a lot of my old parts and try to go the custom-rig route again, but most of my stuff is at the 5 year old mark and starting to become outdated.

Ultimately, when it comes time to buying computers, I'm like a guy in the woods without a map. I don't know what direction to head right now, I'm incredibly ignorant of value versus performance, and I don't even know where to begin looking. Because I use it for 3D work, time is of the essence since I'm already falling behind on deadlines and having to delay several projects.

So I'm looking for advice, suggestions, and any help I can get. I'm trying to keep my budget under $600. When I return home, I'll post my old specs and see if any of it is relevant or worth keeping. I need the most bang for my buck, yet I can't afford to spend too much time shopping around, so I gladly turn to those more knowledgeable than I for help.

Sarcasm

Was just looking at speccy and I must be behind times because when I looked at the Graphics section I got this list:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Model GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Device ID 10DE-1C03
Revision A2
Subvendor MSI (1462)
Current Performance Level Level 0
Current GPU Clock 1569 MHz
Current Memory Clock 4006 MHz
Current Shader Clock 4006 MHz
Voltage 0.794 V
Technology 16 nm
Bus Interface PCI Express x1
Temperature 45 °C
Driver version 22.21.13.8528
BIOS Version 86.06.27.00.3a
Physical Memory 2047 MB
Virtual Memory 2048 MB

In regards to GPU what does

Physical Memory 2047 MB
Virtual Memory 2048 MB

actually mean?

I know what they mean non-GPU wise..but first time I have seen this.

fuzzyset

Anyone have an office chair they recommend? I'm OK with 'gaming' styled chairs. I was looking at PC Gamer's list and they recommend https://www.ergodirect.com/16688-gaming-chair.html which just looks like a regular office chair. I kinda wanna keep it around ~300 though. Not sure if its age, but been getting pains in my arms/hands after working from home a bunch. As someone that makes a living in front of a keyboard (and then games at night), I need to up my ergo game I think...

kuYuri

Okay so... my computer went on the fritz during a storm last week and, despite having a surge protector, it appears to be dead in the water and the tech guys are saying it's probably the motherboard after ruling out the power unit and other alternatives. Thankfully, I saved most of my important data on external harddrives.

I'm VASTLY intimidated by buying computers in general due to price and an endless stream of options with techy names I never can remember, but I know I need good performance since one of my side-jobs is 3D modeling, animation, and rendering. Gaming would be a nice bonus, but I never really got around to a good gaming rig before.

At this point, I don't know what to do. I'm sure I could salvage a lot of my old parts and try to go the custom-rig route again, but most of my stuff is at the 5 year old mark and starting to become outdated.

Ultimately, when it comes time to buying computers, I'm like a guy in the woods without a map. I don't know what direction to head right now, I'm incredibly ignorant of value versus performance, and I don't even know where to begin looking. Because I use it for 3D work, time is of the essence since I'm already falling behind on deadlines and having to delay several projects.

So I'm looking for advice, suggestions, and any help I can get. I'm trying to keep my budget under $600. When I return home, I'll post my old specs and see if any of it is relevant or worth keeping. I need the most bang for my buck, yet I can't afford to spend too much time shopping around, so I gladly turn to those more knowledgeable than I for help.

What parts are you planning on reusing? $600 isn't quite enough for an entire PC efficient in 3D modeling work, but maybe for buying just certain parts it can be just enough.

ISee

Would someone mind giving me a recommendation for a CPU + mobo upgrade?

Here's my current situation:

MSI 970A-G43 Motherboard
MSI R9 270x Gaming 2GB
16GB DDR3 RAM (1600)
AMD FX-6300 Black Edition (OC'ed to 4.1Ghz)
1080p 144hz ASUS Monitor

I just ordered a new GPU (EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB), and I'll be adding it to my current system when it arrives next week. That being said, I'm well aware of the CPU bottleneck that I'll be dealing with in the meantime, one that will surely be felt in some of the more CPU-limited games that I play.

So I'm looking to upgrade my CPU + mobo to alleviate said bottleneck and future-proof my build for another few years. I'm looking to game in 1080p with an emphasis on higher framerates to take advantage of my 144hz monitor.

I assume Intel CPU's are still better for gaming, right? I went AMD when I built my current PC years ago to come in under budget, but this time around I can afford to go Intel and benefit from their better efficiency and gaming optimizations.

If the price is right, I'd prefer a CPU + mobo combo that is conducive to overclocking as well. So a CPU with an unlocked multiplier would be best.

I'm looking to come in at under $350 for the combo if possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

$350 for a future proof CPU that is able to push for 100+ fps, a MB that allows for overclocking and new RAM (your old DDR3 isn't compatible with modern motherboards).

You have only one option at that price point:
AMD R5 1600 --> ~$200
stock cooler --> $0
MSI B350 Tomahawk --> ~90€
2x4 GB of ddr4 3000 (G.Skill Ripjaws V Series) --> ~$80

That is $20-$30 over budget, but it is the cheapest and best option for you. You should be able to hit 3.8-3.9 GHz on the R5 1600, it is a pretty good CPU with it's 6 cores and 12 threads and better than the current i5.

That said the i7 7700k is currently the best option for gamers aiming at very high refresh rates. The problems are: It's way over your budget (by ~$200-$250) and new Intel CPUs are coming out this year (~mid october). They will have 2 extra cores (in eacht tier) and the new i7 8700k and i5 8600k will for sure be even better for high fps then the current i7 7700k. The problem here: even the i5 8600k is going to cost more then $350 when paired with ram, a cooler and a z370 board (by ~$180).

Long story short: The AMD r5 1600 is the best and only option for your budget, but not the best option for very high framerates, especially with intels new cpus on the horizon. Still, it is a very good CPU for gaming and should be able to hold out for a couple of years.

Garlador

What parts are you planning on reusing? $600 isn't quite enough for an entire PC efficient in 3D modeling work, but maybe for buying just certain parts it can be just enough.

Apparently everything but the motherboard can be reused. It has a 120 GB SSD, 16gigs of DDR3 RAM, 500W power unit, but I don't recall the graphics card I had off the top of my head (ATI Radeon 4800, I think), nor the actual CPU.

kuYuri

Apparently everything but the motherboard can be reused. It has a 120 GB SSD, 16gigs of DDR3 RAM, 500W power unit, but I don't recall the graphics card I had off the top of my head (ATI Radeon 4800, I think), nor the actual CPU.

Without knowing what the actual CPU that you have is or at least what socket it is, along with knowing the exact motherboard that died, I can't really recommend a new motherboard to replace your dead one that could fit the CPU or RAM that you currently have. That information is kind of important and we'd need it to properly recommend a replacement.

So if we're starting from scratch as far as the motherboard goes, you're gonna need a new CPU and RAM along with that motherboard. I would recommend Ryzen 7 1700 for 8 cores or Ryzen 5 1600 with 6 cores. These are the best, most efficient CPUs imo for 3D modeling work. Ryzen doesn't have built in graphics, so you'll need a graphics card as well, which is hard to recommend because it's already going over budget once we add all these together. Ryzen 3 is an option, but it's not as good as the above for your work. With that said, if you are strictly sticking to a budget, than there is little choice.

ScOULaris

$350 for a future proof CPU that is able to push for 100+ fps, a MB that allows for overclocking and new RAM (your old DDR3 isn't compatible with modern motherboards).

You have only one option at that price point:
AMD R5 1600 --> ~$200
stock cooler --> $0
MSI B350 Tomahawk --> ~90€
2x4 GB of ddr4 3000 (G.Skill Ripjaws V Series) --> ~$80

That is $20-$30 over budget, but it is the cheapest and best option for you. You should be able to hit 3.8-3.9 GHz on the R5 1600, it is a pretty good CPU with it's 6 cores and 12 threads and better than the current i5.

That said the i7 7700k is currently the best option for gamers aiming at very high refresh rates. The problems are: It's way over your budget (by ~$200-$250) and new Intel CPUs are coming out this year (~mid october). They will have 2 extra cores (in eacht tier) and the new i7 8700k and i5 8600k will for sure be even better for high fps then the current i7 7700k. The problem here: even the i5 8600k is going to cost more then $350 when paired with ram, a cooler and a z370 board (by ~$180).

Long story short: The AMD r5 1600 is the best and only option for your budget, but not the best option for very high framerates, especially with intels new cpus on the horizon. Still, it is a very good CPU for gaming and should be able to hold out for a couple of years.
Thanks for all the input. I've got a lot to consider. I didn't even think about newer motherboards only supporting DDR4 RAM. I'm pretty set on Intel chips this time around, so I might need to increase my budget a bit.

As for my cooler situation, I currently have a Hyper EVO. That should be fine to transfer into whatever CPU I end up choosing, right?

reKon

Banned
uh,

So are RAM prices just going to keep increasing?

I've been out of the game so long that I have no idea of what's even good pricing lol.

uh,

So are RAM prices just going to keep increasing?

I've been out of the game so long that I have no idea of what's even good pricing lol.

The 2x4Gb of Corsair LPX I got about two months ago has gone from £70 to £76 on Amazon already.

The ride never ends.

senj

I assume Intel CPU's are still better for gaming, right? I went AMD when I built my current PC years ago to come in under budget, but this time around I can afford to go Intel and benefit from their better efficiency and gaming optimizations.

The new AMD Ryzen CPUs are a lot more competitive for the dollar compared to the older AMD designs, especially if the game can take advantage of the extra cores, so it's no longer such a straightforward yes.

With your budget you'd probably want to look at something like the Ryzen 5 and a B350 motherboard, honestly.

ISee

Thanks for all the input. I've got a lot to consider. I didn't even think about newer motherboards only supporting DDR4 RAM. I'm pretty set on Intel chips this time around, so I might need to increase my budget a bit.

As for my cooler situation, I currently have a Hyper EVO. That should be fine to transfer into whatever CPU I end up choosing, right?

I mean, it's a cooler and you don't need to buy a new one. So that's something. But let's be honest here, the cooling performance was never impressive. It was a cheap and durable solution though.

ScOULaris

I mean, it's a cooler and you don't need to buy a new one. So that's something. But let's be honest here, the cooling performance was never impressive. It was a cheap and durable solution though.

Yeah, it works fine for my needs. I'm not pushing my CPU into really high temps with aggressive overclocking. I usually just do a very mild overclock if anything.

So, I got a hand-me-down pair of 4gig ram-sticks (G.Skill Ripjaws X). I don't currently recall what brand or make of ram sticks I currently have. I just know I have 16gigs going and would like to utilize an additional 8 gigs cause, why not more ram?

My question is, can you mix and match different brands of ram sticks onto one mobo/pc? Or is that a no-no?

So, I got a hand-me-down pair of 4gig ram-sticks (G.Skill Ripjaws X). I don't currently recall what brand or make of ram sticks I currently have. I just know I have 16gigs going and would like to utilize an additional 8 gigs cause, why not more ram?

My question is, can you mix and match different brands of ram sticks onto one mobo/pc? Or is that a no-no?

In theory, with some tweaking, but it's not simple. What are the two differing sets, and in particular, can you identify the following:
1) Are they DDR3, or DDR4?
2) What are the memory frequencies (in MHz, if it's DDR4 it'll be above 2000, DDR3 almost certainly lower)?
3) What is the latency on each set?

If you can't find those, serial numbers at least will help in identifying them. Also other specs - primarily CPU and motherboard - would be useful.

Erebus

Is the Ryzen platform still finicky with RAM? I'm interested in building a Ryzen 5 1600 PC but I'm reading scary things with RAM online.

Is it true that they work better with Samsung chips?

Is the Ryzen platform still finicky with RAM? I'm interested in building a Ryzen 5 1600 PC but I'm reading scary things with RAM online.

Can't say I've had any problems with my ASRock B350 board and Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM. It's not listed on the motherboard QVL list at all, nonetheless I updated the BIOS and it overclocked straight up to 2933mhz, then I changed it to 3066mhz and it booted up fine, no issues through any testing either.

I've heard you'll get better mileage out of Samsung Bdie RAM, even RAM timings, and only buying specific brands, but I can't really say since I've had zero issues.

RAM aside, one thing I will say is clean off the stock cooler paste if you're using the wraith cooler and apply your own. It's too thick, made a right mess when I cleaned it off to apply some arctic silver about a month after using the system.

In theory, with some tweaking, but it's not simple. What are the two differing sets, and in particular, can you identify the following:
1) Are they DDR3, or DDR4?
2) What are the memory frequencies (in MHz, if it's DDR4 it'll be above 2000, DDR3 almost certainly lower)?
3) What is the latency on each set?

If you can't find those, serial numbers at least will help in identifying them. Also other specs - primarily CPU and motherboard - would be useful.

Thanks, I'll check those out after work.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Nvidia is once again giving Destiny 2 codes. For anyone who, like me, purchased a 1080 or 1080Ti in the past couple of months when no game codes were being given out be sure to contact customer support of whatever vendor you went through. Newegg just gave me a code after I contacted them about it and I bought my 1080Ti on 7/30.

tried to get it with newegg last night and they wouldn't give me one :/

Newegg declined my req. too :\

it works better with samsung chips, but every after BIOS update the compatibility with other rams increase.

So I ended up loosing my current GPU in a fire (well, the water used to put out the fire) so I'm looking for a replacement. The whole reason it was out of my desktop in the first place was I had tossed in the card from my Steam Machine (GTX 750ti) to see if it could get said desktop into running Halo Wars 2 (which it did) so I know that another of that card should do the trick. I still figured it was worth asking if there was anything in that wattage that would be most appropriate.

Desktop (full tower):
MB: P8H61-M
CPU: AMD PHENOM II X6 1045T PROCESSOR
GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7770 1000MHZ 1GB 4.5GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E

Any ideas? Not looking for anything significant; just whatever would be a decently priced replacement for the 7770 now that some time has passed.

*Actually, now that I'm looking at my insurance info it was my old 5770 that was damaged. Perhaps I'm fine after all.

bomblord1

Banned
New build won't post.

It's a Ryzen 7 build with a b350 Mobo

Well it did once but it seems to have been a fluke. I removed the CMOs battery to try to reset the bios after but it didn't do anything. Already reseated everything up to the gpu, CPU, and appropriate power connectors.

Checked the CPU no bent pins, I'm using the hdmi out on my graphics card, and all fans and lights are on.

I've tried putting the ram in different slots and going down to just 1 stick and nothing.

There's also 2 harsh red LEDs lit up on my mobo. According to the Mobo manual the first means CPU failure or not detected, the second means ram issue or not detected.

I did attempt to set the ram to it's rated 3200mhz on the first boot but if that was the issue removing the CMOS battery should have reset the bios and fixed it.

Hey guys, I'm looking at upgrading my PSU. Basic system specs:

i7-6700K
32GB Ram (2400 i think?)
1080Ti
1x SSD
3x HDDs

I was thinking about these 2 PSU's:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-0650-Y1

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=110-B1-0750-VR

Using the PSU calculator (https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator) my recommended PSU wattage came out to about 620W. Would one of these suit me better than the other? Both seem to be fairly well-rated and similarly priced, though one is Bronze and the other is Gold. Is it wiser to go with the 750W?

Hey guys, I'm looking at upgrading my PSU. Basic system specs:

i7-6700K
32GB Ram (2400 i think?)
1080Ti
1x SSD
3x HDDs

I was thinking about these 2 PSU's:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-G3-0650-Y1

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=110-B1-0750-VR

Using the PSU calculator (https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator) my recommended PSU wattage came out to about 620W. Would one of these suit me better than the other? Both seem to be fairly well-rated and similarly priced, though one is Bronze and the other is Gold. Is it wiser to go with the 750W?

Get the G3! Much better PSU. And 650 W is plenty.

New build won't post.

It's a Ryzen 7 build with a b350 Mobo

Well it did once but it seems to have been a fluke. I removed the CMOs battery to try to reset the bios after but it didn't do anything. Already reseated everything up to the gpu, CPU, and appropriate power connectors.

Checked the CPU no bent pins, I'm using the hdmi out on my graphics card, and all fans and lights are on.

I've tried putting the ram in different slots and going down to just 1 stick and nothing.

There's also 2 harsh red LEDs lit up on my mobo. According to the Mobo manual the first means CPU failure or not detected, the second means ram issue or not detected.

I did attempt to set the ram to it's rated 3200mhz on the first boot but if that was the issue removing the CMOS battery should have reset the bios and fixed it.

Try booting with only one RAM stick in one slot. Keep trying with that stick in each slot. If that doesn't work, try with the other RAM stick, testing each slot.

HDMI or Display Port for my monitor...

I heard Display Port is way better. Opinions?

A guy at Fry's was trying to get me to buy the 850W power supply. I'm like... I'm pretty sure 650 is more than enough... annoying.
Depending on what resolution/refresh rate you plan to use (i.e., high bandwidth uses), DP might be required. Otherwise it doesn't typically matter. Check your monitor's manual.

Condom

I'm already liking the sound of that. What about in terms of noise coming from within the case?

I have a very silent set up so the differences are not that noticable. It may be a little louder?

Reviews show that it is one of the most silent and best cooling cases around, I based my purchase on that.

tbhysgb

Posted in here earlier. Have a 6GB gtx1060 in my newegg cart w master pass code for 251 shipped. I'm not desperate but I don't necessarily see myself kicking myself in the butt later either. What do u guys think?

It's the gigabyte one. Looks like a one fan cooler

kuYuri

HDMI or Display Port for my monitor...

I heard Display Port is way better. Opinions?

A guy at Fry's was trying to get me to buy the 850W power supply. I'm like... I'm pretty sure 650 is more than enough... annoying.

If you have the option, always go DisplayPort.

If you have the option, always go DisplayPort.

Depending on what resolution/refresh rate you plan to use (i.e., high bandwidth uses), DP might be required. Otherwise it doesn't typically matter. Check your monitor's manual.

Ohh, shit. Ok thank you! My DP wasnt working for some reason so I went HDMI. Guess I'll try and get that running... grr.

Just got the new Dell Monitor and it's great so far! Thanks for the suggestions all!

So....

I've got a 4690k. I'm running into some issues with streaming, I think the non-hyperthreading is killing me.

My options are right now:

1) Go R7 1700
2) Stick to my current setup and just get myself an i7 4790k

Thoughts?

ISee

So....

I've got a 4690k. I'm running into some issues with streaming, I think the non-hyperthreading is killing me.

My options are right now:

1) Go R7 1700
2) Stick to my current setup and just get myself an i7 4790k

Thoughts?

If you want your CPU to do the encoding get the R7.

RevenWolf

Posted in here earlier. Have a 6GB gtx1060 in my newegg cart w master pass code for 251 shipped. I'm not desperate but I don't necessarily see myself kicking myself in the butt later either. What do u guys think?

It's the gigabyte one. Looks like a one fan cooler

I have a GalaX version of the 1060 that I was using. For 1080p games it's pretty fantastic. I'm running most games maxed out and getting locked 60fps.

Might have to turn settings slightly down for extremely intensive games but non really come to mind.

Most recently I've been running Prey and everything is maxed out and I haven't experienced any drops below 60.

pislit

Wtf is going on with the prices of ram and GPU. Goddamit.

Anyway is Dell S2716DG worth it over the Predator model which is 1080p. At the moment, the Dell has the same price with most 1080p 144hz monjtors in my area/country.

Mobile is eating up most of the RAM production supply, not helped by the DRAM manufacturers trying to switch to new processes at the same time

Miners are using tons of GPUs to mine cryptocurrency again.

Renekton

Anyway is Dell S2716DG worth it over the Predator model which is 1080p. At the moment, the Dell has the same price with most 1080p 144hz monjtors in my area/country.
I don't know about head-to-head comparisons but the S2716DG is a pretty good monitor.

Mobile is eating up most of the RAM production supply, not helped by the DRAM manufacturers trying to switch to new processes at the same time

Miners are using tons of GPUs to mine cryptocurrency again.

It doesn't seem like there's going to be any relief until 2018 for RAM prices, and I am starting to think crypto currency mining is here to stay. A year from now, I think I'll be very happy I built my PC this summer.

Guys, so I've been really itching to build a new PC and I kind of want to make one soonish (before Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein in October)

I've already decided to go GTX 1080TI

I still need to do the research on all other parts, but in general, how much should I be looking at including the graphics card and probably a nice new monitor?

Is $3000 all in going to cover it or is that cutting it close?

Guys, so I've been really itching to build a new PC and I kind of want to make one soonish (before Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein in October)

I still need to do the research on all other parts, but in general, how much should I be looking at including the graphics card and probably a nice new monitor?

$3,000 is plenty. $750 for monitor (though you can get great ones for less, so this is just to definitely cover you), $750 for the 1080 Ti, then you have $1,500 left for CPU ($300 max), RAM ($150), motherboard ($200), case ($100), SSD/HDDs ($300), power supply ($100), Windows 10 ($100), and then you'd still have $250 to spare for extra stuff (keyboard, mouse, case fans, LEDs, whatever).

And, the numbers I put out are generally on the high end. You can easily get a motherboard for $85, a case for $50, RAM for $125, multiple SSDs/HDDs for <$150, a power supply for $50, etc. You can also get a great 24" or 27" 1440p/144Hz/GSync monitor from Dell for $350-$500. So, basically, $3,000 will more than cover you on building an absolute beast of a machine including accessories.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply!

And any suggestions on parts I'd more than welcome (my knowledge is pretty limited and ultimately my friend is the one who is going to be putting it together)

ISee

I'd get a widescreen 34" Gsync monitor with at least 100 Hz, a r7 1700, a good air cooler to be able to reach 3.8-3.9 GHz on the CPU, a very good 1080 Ti and put the rest into ram and SSDs.

Something like this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6jskNN

Top Bottom