• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Bloodember

OK, guys I got some questions. First this is for a Ryzen 3 1200, 16GB ram, Gigabye B350-d3h motherboard and a Gigabyte Radeon RX550. This is all connected to a Vizio M series 55" 4k TV.

The problem is when we set the computer to 4k 60 htz, the screen starts going black every so often and we have mouse stuttering. When it's at 30 htz everything is fine. My question is, do you think it's the gpu? I've already exchanged the GPU out for the same model. Do you think the RX550 just doesn't like 4k 60htz and I need to upgrade to a RX560 or a 1050? This is not for gaming, it's a multimedia rig.

I have already changed the HDMI cable as well.

edit: Ok, after some more trial and error. It looks like the 2GB of VRAM is the culprit, it's not enough. So I'll return it to Microcenter tomorrow and get the Asus RX550 4GB model.

I had a similar error when I first got my 4K monitor. Switching from hdmi to display port fixed it. I figure I had a bad cable.

Update: Went and got a RX550 4gb model, which micro center only carries an Asus one. Got it home and the damn thing doesn't have a fan controller so the fan is at 100% all the time, so it is LOUD. So back to Micro Center I went, this time I just grabbed a EVGA superclocked Geforce 1050ti 4gb, It is working great. We're just having issues with Kodi not wanting to play in 24fps without stuttering.

Water

I'm guessing this isn't right
HDD mounting at something other than 90 degree angle? Not recommended by manufacturers, might cause faster drive failure. Apparently it's worse if you use it inclined for a while (so the bearings settle in that kind of usage) and then remount at a different angle.

I took the risk and have mine like that, because both the case and the HDD were a bit non-standard (HDD didn't have the middle pair of screw holes, and case required using them for normal mounting). The other choice I considered was to hack together some kind of support for one end of the drive with heavy duty rubber bands.

Ah I see. You should be able to overclock the 1700 to reach 1700x/1800x level, but if you don't fancy that I suppose 1700x is fine.

The 1700 also comes with the Wraith Spire cooler, which is pretty good. The 1700x and 1800x doesn't come with it, so going with 1700 may save you about $100~ from the cpu+cooler difference I reckon.
Looking at that a bit more that definitely seems to be the best route so ill be doing that for sure. Thanks for letting me know!

buenoblue

I sold my pc last November. 6800k sli 780ti. I spent a small fortune on it and felt I needed a gpu upgrade so said sod it can't be arsed upgrading constantly. Got £850 for it and just bin using ps4 pro and xbox one s.

Bin reasonably happy catching up on all the console exclusives but I'm getting the itch to build another pc.

I'm not really in any rush so my question is when do you think the 10nm high performance chips will be out. Also the gtx 1180.

I don't mind waiting 6 months or a little longer. Do you think this is a reasonable timeframe or should I just buy 8700k and 1080ti. Cheers for your time.

Just really wanna build a proper single gpu 4k machine.

J_Viper

HDD mounting at something other than 90 degree angle? Not recommended by manufacturers, might cause faster drive failure. Apparently it's worse if you use it inclined for a while (so the bearings settle in that kind of usage) and then remount at a different angle.

I took the risk and have mine like that, because both the case and the HDD were a bit non-standard (HDD didn't have the middle pair of screw holes, and case required using them for normal mounting). The other choice I considered was to hack together some kind of support for one end of the drive with heavy duty rubber bands.

Hmm, have you had any issues with your drive at that angle?

I suppose I could buy a mount and fix the position when it arrives

What? Drive not being secured?
Yeah. I'm still very new to PCs, so I wasn't sure if the drive would even would if it's just thrown into the PC like that

Seems to be working fine though. At least for now.

Downloaded Half Life as a quick test, and I had no issues

komplanen

Have the AMD B350 (and others?) super slow boot times been fixed? Are there any current 'issues' with Ryzen I should be aware of?

Also what's the current online forum opinion on Coffee Lake release date? When would you guess the parts start shipping?

xkramz

ewzZlw5.jpg

this isnt bad right?

i5-6600K @ 4.7ghz with max 1.3V and max temp 62.5C

anyone has an AIO cooler like the nzxt that i have?

if so is it fine to have it running on performance mode non stop?

I just drill holes in my case mounting section sides and mount it that way. I have some 2.5 drives mounted in the 3.5 bay. Simple fix if you have enough room to drill where you need to drill.

ISee

this isnt bad right?

i5-6600K @ 4.7ghz with max 1.3V and max temp 62.5C

anyone has an AIO cooler like the nzxt that i have?

if so is it fine to have it running on performance mode non stop?

I don't have my old 6700k OC chart at hand, but 4.7 GHz at 1.3V is actually very good, if I remember correctly. That said you may want to test for stability with something more demanding then PC Performance Test.

Easy - Medium test for stability and temperature levels are:
Asus Realbench
AIDA 64
Costum x264 test

Though Tests:
Prime 95 newest version

For monitoring I'd recommend to use HWInfo. In general there are several ways to see if your OC isn't good.
1.) Temperatures reaching 90°C or more.
2.) PC crashes, freezes
3.) On of your cores stops running at full clock speed (not enough voltage).

Don't get to obsessed with the newest prime95 test. It's in many ways prime 29.9 is a stress test on steroids. If you pass the others and your games don't crash you are fine.

This is the CPU cooler I bought and just installed with the included AM4 bracket.
It comes with a filmsy AM4 bracket, that can only be mounted sideways so the fans are facing the GPU, and on top of that the one I purchased came with bent fins.

I thought oh well, straightened out the fins, took my stock wraith cooler out, slapped some thermal paste on the CPU and then the problems really poured on. The filmsy bracket is made for the default plastic mounts that come with AM4 motherboards, the problem is that if you followed the instructions you'll quickly find that the bracket is a few mm too short for the plastic mounts and you'll need to either force it on or unscrews the plastic mounts enough to slip the bracket clips on then screw it back into the back-plate.

all around awful experience. I don't recommend it. At all. Don't buy it.

(It has dropped my temps down significantly, but that really wasn't worth the hassle of installing).

Bloodember

I checked the spreadsheet build guide in the OP and it specifically states I would need 600 or up for a 1080 Ti setup.

Or did I read that incorrectly??
Pcpartpicker says it will use around 475w, so 550w is enough, but knowing that, I'd go with a 600-650w, unless that 750 you chose is cheaper.

My GPU is dying. I'm seeing more and more artifacts by the day. I mostly play 1080p at 144 Hz. so would a GTX 1060 be a good upgrade? Coming from a GTX 570.

My GPU is dying. I'm seeing more and more artifacts by the day. I mostly play 1080p at 144 Hz. so would a GTX 1060 be a good upgrade? Coming from a GTX 570.

strong cpu with a 1060 and your good,make sure to get the 6gb version, there is a difference in power between the 3gb and 6gb versions.

J_Viper

Well fuck, my PC shut down on its own while playing XCOM: EU and now I'm in panic mode.

Could this be due to the ridiculous way I installed my new HDD?

I haven't had a shutdown like this while playing off the SSD

Garou

Well fuck, my PC shut down on its own while playing XCOM: EU and now I'm in panic mode.

Are we talking bluescreen or pulled-the-plug kind of shutdown?

J_Viper

Are we talking bluescreen or pulled-the-plug kind of shutdown?

Indeed - need to know these details.

Its rare for a PC to completely die during operation - if it does it's usually down to thermal or PSU issues.

More of a "plug being pulled". After turning it back on, I've had no issues or warning messages. It's like it never happened. I'm just concerned that it'll happen again

Jezbollah

More of a "plug being pulled". After turning it back on, I've had no issues or warning messages. It's like it never happened. I'm just concerned that it'll happen again

I think for starters it might be worth installing a temp monitoring utility to monitor your thermals. I suspect it'll be PSU related though.

derFeef

Wow, saved 210€ on the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q at a local retailer. Just waiting for it now to arrive. That was an isntandbuy :D

Loginius

Hi guys, I recently moved to the uk and sold most of my pc beforehand.

I still got my hdd+ssd as well as monitors, keyboard, etc. so I only need the basic parts.

This is what i was planing to go with (budget is 1k £):

Z270 SLI PLUS ATX Motherboard - £135.97

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Processor - £294.00

Gigabyte GeForce GTX1060 6GB - £275.99

Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz - £131.99

Corsair CX550M 550 W 80+ Bronze Power Supply - £59.44

BE QUIET! BK009 Pure Rock Heatsink 120mm - £34.95

PHANTEKS P400 Midtower - £63.99

Subtotal £996.32

What do you guys think? Did I forget anything? Any compatibility issues? Any cheaper / better recommendations for that budget?

ISee

As already answered. Yes a 1060 6GB is about 20% faster than a RX 570. Therefore it is the better card for 144 Hz. Still, I'd recommend going with a vega 56 or gtx 1070 for that kind of refresh rate, if your budget allows for it.

I still got my hdd+ssd as well as monitors, keyboard, etc. so I only need the basic parts.

Subtotal £996.32

What do you guys think? Did I forget anything? Any compatibility issues? Any cheaper / better recommendations for that budget?

Fine build, no problems.
But I'd recommed going with a R5 1600 + b350 board and to take the saved money to get a 1070 instead of the 1060.

Edit: 7700k+z270+1060 cost you ~710. While this R5 1600 / b350 / 1070 combo only cost 10 more and will give you much better performance.

Edit 2: made a small mistake, but I'm on mobile and suffered from a braim fart ... sorry

In the end it's even a bit cheaper, so it's +25% extra performance for 20 pounds less... just saying. The amazon pic has now the correct parts.

Subtotal £996.32

Fine build, no problems.
But I'd recommed going with a R5 1600 + b350 board and to take the saved money to get a 1070 instead of the 1060.

Gonna second that and say if you went with something like this ASRock motherboard for £73.49 and a R5 1600 fpr £188.40 then you'd save £168 and could easily put that into a better GPU.

You could possibly stay with the stock cooler too and save a further £34.95. Wouldn't reccomend that though if you're going for overclocking.

do people suggest buying warranties for pc parts? I just bought a monitor from amazon and a gtx 1080ti from newegg but didn't bother getting warranties, should I have?

I don't buy warranties. I do keep my packing material or at least my receipts and keep track of how long the manufacturer warranty lasts, so I know if something breaks whether I can return/RMA it or not.

Have the AMD B350 (and others?) super slow boot times been fixed? Are there any current 'issues' with Ryzen I should be aware of?

MSI B350 boards have significantly improved post times as of the most recent (last few weeks) BIOS update. Improved post times have the effect of also improving boot times of course, so yeah, it's much better now. I don't know about other motherboard manufacturers, however.

Jabronium

What GPU and case did you get?

Got a 1080ti, had a ton of Amazon credit to burn. I had intended on holding out for one of the new Lian Li Alpha cases, but not sure my patience can last another ~4 weeks. Considered the Meshify C as well but not sure my psu (EVGA 850 G2) will fit, looks to be 1-2 mm too long.

J_Viper

I think for starters it might be worth installing a temp monitoring utility to monitor your thermals. I suspect it'll be PSU related though.

I'll look into that, thanks

I just don't understand how temp issues could happen out of nowhere. My PC has been fine for a few weeks now.

Loginius

Gonna second that and say if you went with something like this ASRock motherboard for £73.49 and a R5 1600 fpr £188.40 then you'd save £168 and could easily put that into a better GPU.

You could possibly stay with the stock cooler too and save a further £34.95. Wouldn't reccomend that though if you're going for overclocking.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!
I didnt even consider AMD CPU as I had horrible experiences with their GPUs in the past. But the R5 1600 seems perfect as I do a lot of offline rendering that can actually benefit from all those threads and having the better GPU should be a noticable boost for most games.

I decided to switch to the recommended parts, new list:

ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS Motherboard - £77.24

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU - £188.60

Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB - £425.99

I also removed the heatsink as I have no experience with AMD and will try the stock speed first.

Subtotal £947.25

Thanks again, about to pull the trigger on this.

Edit: changed DDR for cheaper delivery cost.

J_Viper

Well I played Shadow of Mordor off of my new HDD for about an hour and a half at max settings and had no issues with shut downs whatsoever

I wonder why that happened with XCOM?

Well I played Shadow of Mordor off of my new HDD for about an hour and a half at max settings and had no issues with shut downs whatsoever

Looking into it, I'd wager thermal issues. Because spying around, there are cases where people have noted the game overheating their CPU or GPU.

ISee

Is this HDD also your windows/boot drive? Or is the pagefile located on this HDD?
If no, it is very unlikely for it to cause your problems. Crashes or restarts often indicate unstable power, overheating, bad overclocks etc.

J_Viper

Looking into it, I'd wager thermal issues. Because spying around, there are cases where people have noted the game overheating their CPU or GPU.

It's crazy that such an old game can cause issues with my brand new rig haha

Is Enemy Unknown not a well optimized game?

I'll download another graphically intensive game to the and see if it also works fine like Mordor

Is this HDD also your windows/boot drive? Or is the pagefile located on this HDD?
If no, it is very unlikely for it to cause your problems. Crashes or restarts often indicate unstable power, overheating, bad overclocks etc.

Nah the SSD that came with the PC is where I have Windows, this new HDD is only for games

Could I have installed it incorrectly?

Thanks for the help fellas

So following this build that was posted earlier for me: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6jskNN

So far I've gotten the graphics card and monitor and about to start getting the rest of the parts.

I want to note that I'm close to the NJ micro center, so I can alternatively go there to pick up parts, but I want to make sure I don't screw anything up and get the wrong stuff. Is there anything specific of note with that individual motherboard and cooler? I noticed those exact ones don't seem to be at the Micro Center, which seems to have deals when you buy motherboards and cpus together and stuff, so I'm weighing my options

Edit: Looking at motherboards, whats the major difference between the one posted and the carbon version?

Ron Mexico

So following this build that was posted earlier for me: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6jskNN

So far I've gotten the graphics card and monitor and about to start getting the rest of the parts.

I want to note that I'm close to the NJ micro center, so I can alternatively go there to pick up parts, but I want to make sure I don't screw anything up and get the wrong stuff. Is there anything specific of note with that individual motherboard and cooler? I noticed those exact ones don't seem to be at the Micro Center, which seems to have deals when you buy motherboards and cpus together and stuff, so I'm weighing my options

So I was in a similar position-- about 45 min from the King of Prussia MicroCenter and was torn between the same options. I was also doing an ITX build so my options were a bit more limited, but charting out the price of Amazon/Newegg (I could have found individual components for slightly cheaper but kept it at 2 merchants for simplicity's sake) vs MicroCenter with rebates/discounts, I came out slightly ahead (a shade under 10%) by going the online route.

The biggest thing for me expense-wise with buying from MicroCenter is when they didn't have the exact part I was looking for, it was WAY too easy to go a little higher here, a little higher there and suddenly your build deviates quite a bit from the original list.

MicroCenter was great for the monitor and the like-- I've spent plenty there over the years, but my general rule of thumb is the more breadth of the component (specifically mobos, RAM, etc), the more likely I am to go online.

kuYuri

This happened to me not too long ago, my PC would restart in the middle of gaming. Turns out the 24-pin connection from the power supply to the motherboard got loose somehow. Once I pushed it in harder and made sure it wasn't loose anymore, it was totally fine.

It's crazy that such an old game can cause issues with my brand new rig haha

Is Enemy Unknown not a well optimized game?

I'll download another graphically intensive game to the and see if it also works fine like Mordor

Some of the stuff I've read suggests as much. Though as KuYuri mentions it could be a power draw issue, so when usage spikes - like in a CPU intensive game such as XCOM - it becomes too much and the system crashes.

Btw on thermals, suggest picking up a program like MSI Afterburner. That'll give you an in-game overlay with which you can monitor core temps.

J_Viper

This happened to me not too long ago, my PC would restart in the middle of gaming. Turns out the 24-pin connection from the power supply to the motherboard got loose somehow. Once I pushed it in harder and made sure it wasn't loose anymore, it was totally fine.

Noob here, is that that power cable that plugs into the back of the computer?

Some of the stuff I've read suggests as much. Though as KuYuri mentions it could be a power draw issue, so when usage spikes - like in a CPU intensive game such as XCOM - it becomes too much and the system crashes.

Btw on thermals, suggest picking up a program like MSI Afterburner. That'll give you an in-game overlay with which you can monitor core temps.

That's so weird, I figure Mordor would be a much tougher game to run than XCOM is

I'll definitely look into that program

Thanks again for the assistance

Noob here, is that that power cable that plugs into the back of the computer?

That's so weird, I figure Mordor would be a much tougher game to run than XCOM is

I'll definitely look into that program

Thanks again for the assistance

The 24 pin connector is the big power lead that connects to your motherboard. One of these suckers:
connectors_1_1_2.png

As to any game's difficulty to run, that's dependent on a number of factors. In XCOM's case, it's having to take on a different kind of AI to the one employed in Shadow of Mordor, and may even just not be optimised as well as you suggested.

J_Viper

The 24 pin connector is the big power lead that connects to your motherboard. One of these suckers:
connectors_1_1_2.png

As to any game's difficulty to run, that's dependent on a number of factors. In XCOM's case, it's having to take on a different kind of AI to the one employed in Shadow of Mordor, and may even just not be optimised as well as you suggested.

Thanks for the pic, I'll look inside my PC and make sure the connections are tight

ISee

Edit: Looking at motherboards, whats the major difference between the one posted and the carbon version?

The carbon edition has two m2 slots, better lan controller (though I doubt that it makes a huge difference tbh) and the better on board sound solution. Actually it has a very good on board sound solution (my asus mainboard got the same one + audio shielding that this msi is missing), but this only matters if you use an analog headset or a toslink connection in the first place. If you want to use sound over HDMI or USB the onboard sound chip won't be used at all.
So if it is part of a nice bundle, go for it.

Top Bottom