• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Hey guys, I´m buying an freesync monitor (1080p) and I am searching for an GPU. What would you recommend? RX 580 seems good but in my country the availability is poor, I have only the Asus strix and its very expensive (350€+)

rtcn63

Hey guys, I´m buying an freesync monitor (1080p) and I am searching for an GPU. What would you recommend? RX 580 seems good but in my country the availability is poor, I have only the Asus strix and its very expensive (350€+)

Can you get the R480 or R470?

Yes USD. Sorry!

Well, here's a base to work with:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.48 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman - T2 Plus MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $421.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-09 17:03 EDT-0400

As rtcn suggests, you could buy a Z270 board so that it's inevitably ready for the i7-7700k in future. Gigabyte currently have a MicroATX board on sale at OutletPC, though it would be double the price of the current recommendation. Possibly bump down the costs by buying one stick of RAM instead of two.

Right now though, this will be 1080p60 at Medium or High settings, rather than ultra and the like.

Mr Swine

Banned
Hi, Quick question, my Gigabyte MB reports my 1600x at 60 degrees, is that bad? Me and a friend installed the Noctua 12 u fan

rtcn63

Hi, Quick question, my Gigabyte MB reports my 1600x at 60 degrees, is that bad? Me and a friend installed the Noctua 12 u fan

60C load (while gaming etc)? That seems about right according some charts I'm looking at. Idle should be around 25C.

EDIT: Apparently Ryzen chips have a 20C temp offset, so subtract 20C from what your system is reporting to get the actual temp. I think.

Because he'd be looking a very small FPS increase (to the point of negligible in most games) in exchange for a possibly very high temperature increase.

If he were to go the watercooling route, he'd probably be better served with the H100i v2 or X52 if price is an issue (unless he really likes LED's). I'd personally get a Noctua D15(s) if it fits in that particular case.

Depends on the game and application. Many apps benefit significantly for higher clocks, at very little rises in temps. Secondly, and I say this as someone who owns a D15- I don't see the point in owning a D15 if you're going to get a case like a 340 with a total side panel. The D15 is massive, (and quite ugly) and takes up a lot of space. The S340 seems to be made for a radiator intake in the front.
Also, will the D15 even fit in the S340? It's a tight fit in my Fractal Define.

I made a long ass reply in that thread; but let me iderate something for you; I don't think you should let that thread guide convince you of something particular or let the people in that thread, influence your judgment. Remember that some people having problems with tech, doesn't meant that everyone who owns that tech, has problems. The significance and prevalence of tech having problems can be distorted by the fact that people voice their opinion a lot more when they are upset, than when they are not.

And also, you have to remember, that a lot of this debacle is in part due to Intels tone deaf response to something. It's very hard to figure out how many CPUs are of a poorer yield. It could be a very low number, compared to the amount of people who have very cool and well running CPUs. Don't forget that the Tjunction on a lot of these CPUs are a lot higher than 100-105 degrees. My laptops i7 had a Tjmax of 125-130 Degrees Celsius. So, the downclock of around 100-105 C is not really anywhere near close to Intels own proximity of when the CPU begins to take damage.
Not saying that I'd be comfortable having my CPU temps at 85-90> mind you. We must not forget that every time you buy a CPU, it's a lottery. No CPU is equal, so yours will be lucky, or it could be unlucky. The base clock is set to meet a certain yield standard set by Intel. But that doesn't mean that I in theory couldn't buy the same CPU and have a much cooler CPU than you even if I overclocked mine to 5,2 GHz and yours remained at 4,2.
To O'C is really also to find out where your CPU fits. The Asus AI suite is really good because it's auto overclock lets you set the parameters with a few clicks. If you want to not have your CPU run hotter than 65 Degrees, you can set the program to OC to the CPU reaches that. And that's the limit of the CPU you specifically buy.

So I don't see the logic in not OCing. The base clock frequency is not some law. Buying a CPU is a lottery and always have been. I'm telling you this, because years ago, I was suspetible to the same illogical fears about O.Cing my CPU. But it's not based on much besides fear mongering and a lack of understanding of how the processors are made, how they decide on yield and how they decide where to set the base frequency. Anandtech has some amazing articles on this. It's really really interesting reads if you're into this sort of stuff:eek:)

So my PC just died - and I'm fairly sure it's the Mobo or PSU.

Thing is I was getting close to thinking about replacing it all anyway.

So ...after much deliberation. I've decided she's gonna go and the bits that are working sold off after testing .

Money I make will get me a putter on pc. Literally HDMI out and x265.

And I'll get a big shiny new rig in January.

Sad times - but ..,woo excuse for new PC next year

rtcn63

Depends on the game and application. Many apps benefit significantly for higher clocks, at very little rises in temps.

Reputable sources have benched the 7700k in CPU-bound (and not) titles- for example, you're getting an extra 0-2FPS average in both Battlefield 1 and Watch Dogs 2 1080p/ultra, with the 7700k at 5.1GHz and paired with a 1080 FTW. (At least at the CPU's launch)

I tend to trust them. Not to say they can't be wrong but, I can only go with the seemingly most reliable data I can find.

Reputable sources have benched the 7700k in CPU-bound (and not) titles- for example, you're getting an extra 0-2FPS average in both Battlefield 1 and Watch Dogs 2 1080p/ultra, with the 7700k at 5.1GHz and paired with a 1080 FTW. (At least at the CPU's launch)

I tend to trust them. Not to say they can't be wrong but, I can only go with the seemingly most reliable data I can find.

Every game is different though. Some games performance are significantly increased from higher clock rates. I'd imagine if you take a CPU heavy game like Cities Skylines or Total War, you'd see a much more significant correlation between higher FPS and clock speed.

It's highly possible for people to only play games that are GPU heavy and in no way are limited by CPU. But it depends on the users needs.

rtcn63

Every game is different though. Some games performance are significantly increased from higher clock rates. I'd imagine if you take a CPU heavy game like Cities Skylines or Total War, you'd see a much more significant correlation between higher FPS and clock speed.

It's highly possible for people to only play games that are GPU heavy and in no way are limited by CPU. But it depends on the users needs.

Uh... http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...review-premiere-blender-fps-benchmarks/page-7

Total War is one of the most CPU-intensive game series we've worked with, right up there alongside Watch Dogs 2.

ryzen-r7-1800x-bench-total-war.png

(Paired with a GTX 1080 FTW)

MattyG

Banned
I'm about to upgrade to Windows 10 (late to the party, I know), but I have Windows 7 installed on my HDD. I wanted to put 10 on an SSD, so what is my best option here? Is there a way to install the SSD and put 10 on it, and then move all my files from the one with 7? Or do I need to do a clean install?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just ordered this:
http://www.ebuyer.com/788352-stormforce-inferno-gaming-pc-7290-5350

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz
16GB RAM + 3TB HDD + 512GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 Home
Liquid cooled

I am a programmer but as a whole is that price worth it?

Isn't it kinda late to ask after you already ordered? :p
I looked at the parts listed in the description and then looked up comparable parts on newegg:

7700k = $339
16gb 2400mhz ddr4 kingstom hyperx = $145
3tb 5400rpm WD blue hdd = $92
ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H - $159
GTX 1080 = $550
WD Black 512GB Performance SSD = $200
CORSAIR Hydro Series H90 = $97
Windows 10 Home = $100
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 psu = $60
Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV = $190
newegg total = $1932.

The price of the system you ordered is £1,944.98, which is $2,518.50 according to Google.
If you had built it yourself then you could have gone with 3200mhz ram instead of 2400mhz, which is on the slow side for ddr4. The website does say that the cpu comes overclocked to 4.8ghz though so I'm sure part of the price is due to that and them assembling the pc for you.
Do you do any gaming in addition to programming? If not then the GTX 1080 would be overkill.

I just ordered this:
http://www.ebuyer.com/788352-stormforce-inferno-gaming-pc-7290-5350

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz
16GB RAM + 3TB HDD + 512GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 Home
Liquid cooled

I am a programmer but as a whole is that price worth it?

I looked at the parts listed in the description and then looked up comparable parts on newegg:

7700k = $339
GTX 1080 = $550
Windows 10 Home = $100
newegg total = $1932.

The price of the system you ordered is £1,944.98, which is $2,518.50 according to Google.
If you had built it yourself then you could have gone with 3200mhz ram instead of 2400mhz, which is on the slow side for ddr4. The website does say that the cpu comes overclocked to 4.8ghz though so I'm sure part of the price is due to that and them assembling the pc for you.
Do you do any gaming in addition to programming? If not then the GTX 1080 would be overkill.

I just ran the numbers through in pounds on pcpartpicker. Something roughly equivalent would cost around £1550, give or take depending on precise models of parts (specifying the motherboard but not the GPU? Bah!). I mean as a gaming rig it still kicks ass and if coming prebuilt matters that much, it's nothing to sneeze at. That said, for the purposes of programming, I can't help but wonder if Ryzen would have been a better consideration.

nemisis0

7700k = $339
GTX 1080 = $550
Windows 10 Home = $100
newegg total = $1932.

I do game on pc but not as much as consoles, the order is still on gold atm anyway :p, I ran all the parts on amazon and I would only be saving £100, looks like the parts are way more in the UK.

Any recommendations for programming on unreal 4 without running into any slow downs?

I experienced significantly less microstutter by O'Cing (I have Devils Canyon) in my case. Digital Foundry captured a more stable and consistent showing of how the actual operation is; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XylVCItVhS4

by not showing maximum and minimum numbers, you're really not telling the story. The reason why we test at 1080p is because it is known that the GPU is so much more powerful than CPUs that it overcompensates to the point where the majority of these tests don't accurately give us a real indicator of the CPUs true potential. The gaming workloads are hypothetical on a scenario in the future where games will push them. This is one of the reasons why the non-gaming CPU benchmarks are better at showing the disparity in performance between the normal and OC versions.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I do game on pc but not as much as consoles, the order is still on gold atm anyway :p, I ran all the parts on amazon and I would only be saving £100, looks like the parts are way more in the UK.

Any recommendations for programming on unreal 4 without running into any slow downs?

Ah, if you're doing 3D development on unreal engine 4 then the 1080 makes sense. I thought you were a Java programmer like me or something similar. :)

nemisis0

I just ran the numbers through in pounds on pcpartpicker. Something roughly equivalent would cost around £1550, give or take depending on precise models of parts (specifying the motherboard but not the GPU? Bah!). I mean as a gaming rig it still kicks ass and if coming prebuilt matters that much, it's nothing to sneeze at. That said, for the purposes of programming, I can't help but wonder if Ryzen would have been a better consideration.

I found this ryzen build with a 1070 but from alot of research I keep hearing unreal 4 and unity programing software run better on intel than amd cpus due to bether single thread speeds etc.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight Core CPU
16GB DDR4 + 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
WIFI + Windows 10 Home

This was priced at £1392.

The_Afroman

Ok, need a 1150 socket CPU for my system..
this is a space system I am building strictly for 1080p TV gaming, paired with a 970.

Is the G3258 still worth it, bang for your buck wise? I'm trying to stay under 100. Even less if I can.

Suggestions? I already have everything else just need a proc.

MoonGred

Ended up doing a near entirely new build,inc a case.

What is the best location to mount a h80i radiator? I've seen a bunch of people mounting it at the rear fan, in what i presume would be push pull.

LilJoka

Ended up doing a near entirely new build,inc a case.

What is the best location to mount a h80i radiator? I've seen a bunch of people mounting it at the rear fan, in what i presume would be push pull.

Intake is the best but will raise case temps.
Exhaust is not as good but keeps the case temp lower.
It all depends on how cool/quiet the GPU ends up running.

I'm considering a Western Digital Gold drive for my next build for general storage, with an Samsung 960 Evo M.2 drive as a boot drive.

Anyone have any experience with the WD Golds? I normally use WD Blacks, but performance and reliability are of the utmost importance to me as I do a lot of work with huge photoshop files every single day and any kind of data failure or performance hit costs me in a huge way. The Golds seem to be the creme de la creme for reliability and performance, so it might be worth the extra cost to me.

MoonGred

Intake is the best but will raise case temps.
Exhaust is not as good but keeps the case temp lower.
It all depends on how cool/quiet the GPU ends up running.

Yea thats what I was thinking.

I've got a 1080 which doesn't run the coolest, ill put two intake fans below them to help keep it cool.

Ended going with a 7700k which by all the recent comments seem to run hot so keeping it cool will be a must

ISee

I'm about to upgrade to Windows 10 (late to the party, I know), but I have Windows 7 installed on my HDD. I wanted to put 10 on an SSD, so what is my best option here? Is there a way to install the SSD and put 10 on it, and then move all my files from the one with 7? Or do I need to do a clean install?

First you should upgrade to windows 10 on your current HDD.

Then you have two options:

1.] Clone the hdd to your new ssd.
- Some drives come with their own tools for this. The most popular one is the Samsung Magician. It worked very well for me and it is easy to use, but it only works with Samsung SSDs. Other companies have their own tools (not all).
-You can use a tool like Arconis, but it isn't free
-There are also some free tools, but I have no experience with them.

2.] After updating you are free to do a fresh install of windows 10 on your SSD, but it is important to use the same Microsoft account and your old windows 7 key while installing. This will also only work after upgrading from 7 to 10, because your key will be locked to the Microsoft account you are currently using. This allows you to reinstall windows 10 as often as you want to. Afterwards you are free to copy and paste all the files you need, you'll need to reinstall most programs though.

this is a space system I am building strictly for 1080p TV gaming, paired with a 970.

Is the G3258 still worth it, bang for your buck wise? I'm trying to stay under 100. Even less if I can.

The modern kabylake G4560 pentium is surprisingly good when it comes to price/performance because hyper threading is enabled there, sadly it's not on the G3258.
I really don't thing it is reasonable to pick up a 2c/2t cpu in the year 2017 for gaming (even for light gaming). Some games will even refuse to start on a 2 thread CPU. Sadly all Haswell i3s seem to cost over 100€.
My recommendation, try to get an used i3-41X0 on ebay. But if you don't want to buy a used one... there is no option but the G3258 if you want to stay below 100€.

edit:
Checked prices:
G 3258 2 cores/2threads @ 3.2ghz - 62€
G 4560 2 cores/4threads @ 3.5ghz - 73€
i3 4160 2 cores/4threads @ 3.6ghz - 120€

That's just stupid pricing for the i3 4160, the g4560 has no avx 2.0 support, but come on.

LilJoka

I would not be going with the pentium, i3 or better yet i5.

CivRab

So I'm building my first hardtube watercooled system, so far I have purchased
Case: Thermaltake Core P5
PSU: Corsair 800w Gold (Modular)
Mobo: Z270 MSI Gaming M7
GCard: 1080ti w/ EK Waterblock
Ram: 16gb Corsair LED (White) DDR4 ram 3200
Rad: 480mm thick with 4 x Mag Lev White LED Corsair fans
CPU: i7 6700k w/ EK Supremacy Waterblock

So I have left to buy a pump, reservoir, fittings, tubing any recommendations would be appreciated. I'm looking for a large res to sit next to the rad (300mm+) with top fill and bottom output.

Assuming you already have the motherboard and all, you'd probably be best off scouring down a secondhand Haswell i5. I can spot the i5-4570 going for about 130 dollars at 'buy it now prices on ebay, so presumably with a little luck, it and other CPUs like it could be snagged for less.

grimmiq

My PC has been struggling for the last year or so,

i5-3570k
HD7870
(Both stock)

Ran some benchmarks and monitored usage, CPU would sit 45-55%, GPU 99%, I've been thinking about building a new PC, but now I'm tempted to just upgrade the GPU and pick up a Switch with what's left over.

My motherboard is an Asus P8Z77-V Pro, according to partpicker it should be compatible with the RX 480/570 which I can pick up for around AU$280. I'm just after a little advice on whether either of these cards would be suitable for my 3570k or if I should go cheaper/weaker if it would become the new bottleneck.

rtcn63

i5-3570k
HD7870
(Both stock)

Ran some benchmarks and monitored usage, CPU would sit 45-55%, GPU 99%, I've been thinking about building a new PC, but now I'm tempted to just upgrade the GPU and pick up a Switch with what's left over.

My motherboard is an Asus P8Z77-V Pro, according to partpicker it should be compatible with the RX 480/570 which I can pick up for around AU$280. I'm just after a little advice on whether either of these cards would be suitable for my 3570k or if I should go cheaper/weaker if it would become the new bottleneck.

i5-3570k at 4.3GHz here.

480/570 should work no prob (assuming you've got more than a 300W PSU).

Dropped in a 1060 6GB recently. 1080p/60fps high-ish is good mostly. With the older i5's, anything up to do a 1070 is workable, although you may/will see CPU bottlenecking in some games/after a point.

grimmiq

i5-3570k at 4.3GHz here.

480/570 should work no prob (assuming you've got more than a 300W PSU).

Dropped in a 1060 6GB recently. 1080p/60fps high-ish is good mostly. With the older i5's, anything up to do a 1070 is workable, although you may/will see CPU bottlenecking in some games/after a point.

Yeah...I bought this one after my previous PC had several components die in quick succession (need it for work)..For some reason it has an 850W PSU.

Hey kids!

Given that both cost roughly the same where I live, do I get a 500GB SSD like the 850 Evo or the M2 Intel 600p of the same size?

It's mainly going to be used for storing games.

Yes, I can get every card but the price is too high for the new AMD cards.

Bosnia....

Ah, okay. I guess that does limit your options then. Importing from the EU possible, or nah?

Otherwise, what is your budget for GPUs, and what suppliers are you likely to buy from?

i5-3570k
HD7870
(Both stock)

Yeah, that should be fine if you simply pick up a more powerful GPU. It might become a bottleneck in a few more years, but it should still last you a while.

Ostinatto

I7 7700k.
Asus Prime Z270-A.
Asus Strix GTX 1070.
Corsair Vengeance 2x8 GB 3200 mhz.
Samsung 960 Evo 250 GB NVMe.
WD blue 2TB.
CoolerMaster Hyper 212.
NZXT S340 Elite.

Thanks everyone for the tips.

Now who will put all this together?

enewtabie

I7 7700k.
Asus Prime Z270-A.
Asus Strix GTX 1070.
WD blue 2TB.
CoolerMaster Hyper 212.
NZXT S340 Elite.

You can do it. Watch some Youtube videos if you want a good understanding. Built my first one in Sept and took 2 hours or so. It's actually easy and addictive once you start.

I7 7700k.
Asus Prime Z270-A.
Asus Strix GTX 1070.
WD blue 2TB.
CoolerMaster Hyper 212.
NZXT S340 Elite.

Nice rig! Enjoy! You're set.
As far as assembly goes, plenty of info in the OP, not to mention YouTube vids, etc.
Take your time.

I7 7700k.
Asus Prime Z270-A.
Asus Strix GTX 1070.
WD blue 2TB.
CoolerMaster Hyper 212.
NZXT S340 Elite.

Does that CPU cooler come with thermal paste or did you get some?

Anyway, remember: building the computer isn't that hard. You can do it, even as a first timer.

It's once it's built and you push the power button and it doesn't boot that things can become a little complicated :)

rtcn63

I7 7700k.
Asus Prime Z270-A.
Asus Strix GTX 1070.
WD blue 2TB.
CoolerMaster Hyper 212.
NZXT S340 Elite.

More or less what I'd get if I was planning to prepare for 1440p/4K/VR as well as have the PC last another 5-10 years (barring GPU and storage upgrades). And you know, wasn't broke.

And protip: Make sure you have all the correct cables from the PSU plugged into the mobo *before* booting up for the first time. You don't want those nightmares.

RobotVM

Guy on CL wants to sell this for 450.00 USD. Worth it?

Pentium G4560 3.5ghz processor
Gigabyte H110M-A motherboard
Asus RoG Strict Rx 470 4gb GPU
Team Elite Dark 8gb (2x4gb) 3000 ram
EVGA 500W PSU
DIYPC P48-W case
80gb hard drive with Windows 10 and drivers installed.
300gb hard drive
Wireless keyboard and mouse
Power cord

What is the current expected release date for nVidia's upcoming Volta architecture?

I'm building a new PC and am hoping to be able to achieve 4K 60FPS on a single card solution. A GTX 1080 is about as much as I can afford and as I understand it does 4K just that 60FPS is a little out of reach. If Volta is coming in the next six months, I'll probably just sit on my GTX 970 and my 1080p monitor as that does the job fine. If the expected release window is longer, I might just grab the 1080 instead.

Here is what I am currently looking at getting:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve TG
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IX Hero
CPU: intel Core i7 7700k
Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB
GPU: stick with 970 or get GTX 1080 along with 4k monitor.
PSU: EVGA G2 650W

What is the current expected release date for nVidia's upcoming Volta architecture?

I'm building a new PC and am hoping to be able to achieve 4K 60FPS on a single card solution. A GTX 1080 is about as much as I can afford and as I understand it does 4K just that 60FPS is a little out of reach. If Volta is coming in the next six months, I'll probably just sit on my GTX 970 and my 1080p monitor as that does the job fine. If the expected release window is longer, I might just grab the 1080 instead.

Here is what I am currently looking at getting:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve TG
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Hero
CPU: intel Core i7 7700k
Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB
GPU: stick with 970 or get GTX 1080 along with 4k monitor.

Consumer versions possibly before the end of the year?

By the way, we all recognize that games continue to become more and more demanding, right? Chasing 4k 60fps is misguided in that sense.

Top Bottom