• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Ill ask again if I may:

Given that both cost roughly the same where I live, do I get a 500GB SSD like the 850 Evo or the M2 Intel 600p of the same size?

It's mainly going to be used for storing games.

Bloodember

Ill ask again if I may:

Given that both cost roughly the same where I live, do I get a 500GB SSD like the 850 Evo or the M2 Intel 600p of the same size?

They are both great drives, get the one with the better warranty.

Ill ask again if I may:

If that's the M.2 850 EVO, it's SATA only. If you're planning to run the 600p in SATA mode, then just get the cheaper one.

If it's the 2.5" EVO or you're planning to run the 600p in PCI-E mode, then the Intel.

Right, lads and ladies. I'm in the market for a monitor mount.

My lazy attempt to figure one out leads me to this.

Any better out there? I always get the feeling I'm getting the pish ripped out of me when I see such a hefty discount and the price history for the item is the same as its always been.

Edit: Only got two monitors, both are 24 inch GL2450's from BenQ.

The price wouldn't necessarily be my primary concern here; it's the fact that there are no reviews.

If that's the M.2 850 EVO, it's SATA only. If you're planning to run the 600p in SATA mode, then just get the cheaper one.

If it's the 2.5" EVO or you're planning to run the 600p in PCI-E mode, then the Intel.

The price wouldn't necessarily be my primary concern here; it's the fact that there are no reviews.
2.5" Evo vs Pci 600p. Thanks!

They are both great drives, get the one with the better warranty.
Ok thanks!

Yeah I mean in my opinion, unless the price difference is great, M.2 is always the better option, even if you're only running it in SATA mode. Less shit to have to put in a case, two fewer cables to have to run/hide.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
Right, lads and ladies. I'm in the market for a monitor mount.

My lazy attempt to figure one out leads me to this.

Any better out there? I always get the feeling I'm getting the pish ripped out of me when I see such a hefty discount and the price history for the item is the same as its always been.

Edit: Only got two monitors, both are 24 inch GL2450's from BenQ.

Seems fine. I have a similar Lavolta for my triple set up, and this seems to tick many of the same boxes. Cable hooks to keep things neat, locking joints on the arms to ensure you can keep things in place (it's shocking how many of the cheaper arms don't have this and then your monitors swing wildly at the slightest touch) and it looks like it's height adjustable too? Not positive on that though, the pictures are not the best.

Dmax3901

Ok guys, an update. I've posted a few times about my woes with AMD and concerns about Vega...

I have a r9 290 and a freesync 144hz 1440p monitor. Would buying a 1070 or something be stupid? How silly would 'wasting' the freesync element be?

Ok guys, an update. I've posted a few times about my woes with AMD and concerns about Vega...

I have a r9 290 and a freesync 144hz 1440p monitor. Would buying a 1070 or something be stupid? How silly would 'wasting' the freesync element be?

Ultimately it depends on how much you value visual smoothness vs graphical performance, and what kind of margins you've aiming for in what games.

If you're intending to play something like the Witcher 3 at its highest settings at that resolution, then yes, getting something like the GTX 1070 is the sensible choice, whether or not you're using it on a freesync monitor.

If you're playing games like CS GO or League of Legends, then that question of smoothness holds much more weight, because really high FPS at 1440p is still readily achievable.

Question: Why not wait for Vega to drop, both to see what its price vs the high end 10-series cards is, but also for performance reviews?

Dmax3901

Ultimately it depends on how much you value visual smoothness vs graphical performance, and what kind of margins you've aiming for in what games.

If you're intending to play something like the Witcher 3 at its highest settings at that resolution, then yes, getting something like the GTX 1070 is the sensible choice, whether or not you're using it on a freesync monitor.

If you're playing games like CS GO or League of Legends, then that question of smoothness holds much more weight, because really high FPS at 1440p is still readily achievable.

Question: Why not wait for Vega to drop, both to see what its price vs the high end 10-series cards is, but also for performance reviews?

Yeah I'll wait, I always get antsy once I've made the decision to upgrade 'soon'. I play games like Witcher 3, Battlefield, Prey etc but also games like Dota, Overwatch and, most recently, PUBG.

Ostinatto

Look in the mirror!

You can do it. Watch some Youtube videos if you want a good understanding. Built my first one in Sept and took 2 hours or so. It's actually easy and addictive once you start.

Nice rig! Enjoy! You're set.
As far as assembly goes, plenty of info in the OP, not to mention YouTube vids, etc.
Take your time.

Does that CPU cooler come with thermal paste or did you get some?

Anyway, remember: building the computer isn't that hard. You can do it, even as a first timer.

It's once it's built and you push the power button and it doesn't boot that things can become a little complicated :)

More or less what I'd get if I was planning to prepare for 1440p/4K/VR as well as have the PC last another 5-10 years (barring GPU and storage upgrades). And you know, wasn't broke.

And protip: Make sure you have all the correct cables from the PSU plugged into the mobo *before* booting up for the first time. You don't want those nightmares.

It is done!!! took me like 8 hours lol.

p1010859t3uv8.jpg

Akim

Banned
Could anyone help me troubleshoot the issue I have with my new PC?

I have two SSDs. One is a Samsung with normal SATA plugins and one is a M2.

My pc will only recognize one at a time. I've heard something about M2 sharing SATA slots. What can I do to get hem both to be recognized?

knitoe

Could anyone help me troubleshoot the issue I have with my new PC?

I have two SSDs. One is a Samsung with normal SATA plugins and one is a M2.

My pc will only recognize one at a time. I've heard something about M2 sharing SATA slots. What can I do to get hem both to be recognized?

If they share bandwidth, move your SSD data cable to another slot on the MB. Check you user manual.

luffeN

Hi guys!

I currently have 2 1080p 24 inch 144hz monitors at work. I never really liked the 2 monitor concept and was thinking about a 34 inch 21:9 3440x1440 monitor with 100hz. What can I expect working with one huge monitor with this resolution (Win 10)? Will I still be able to elegantly place two programs/documents side by side and not have any disadvantage compared to two screens? Is the 34 inch with such an aspect ratio the same as having a 27 inch in height? Are there monitors with maybe 120 or even 144 hz coming in this category?

Some googling lead me to the Samsung LC34F791WQUXEN and AOC Agon AG352UCG.

So, at least 100 hz is necessary or I get dry eyes, height needs to be larger than a 24 inch and it should be at least as good to work with as with 2 1080p 24 inchers.

Edit: thanks miladesn!

Pooya

Hi guys!

I currently have 2 1080p 24 inch 144hz monitors at work. I never really liked the 2 monitor concept and was thinking about a 34 inch 21:9 3440x1440 monitor with 100hz. What can I expect working with one huge monitor with this resolution (Win 10)? Will I still be able to elegantly place two programs/documents side by side and not have any disadvantage compared to two screens? Is the 34 inch with such an aspect ratio the same as having a 27 inch in height? Are there monitors with maybe 120 or even 144 hz coming in this category?

Some googling lead me to the Samsung LC34F791WQUXEN and AOC Agon AG352UCG.

So, at least 100 hz is necessary or I get dry eyes, height needs to be larger than a 24 inch and it should be at least as good to work with as with 2 1080p 24 inchers.

- Sure why not. Still this is not as wide as two 24" displays obviously.

- check here http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-35-inch-21x9

^left is the Agon, right is a 27" display.

- There are faster models coming later this year I believe.

Hi.

So my current specs:

i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2Ghz
GTX 1070
12 GB of DDR3 RAM 1333hz
gigabyte z77x-ud5h motherboard

So everything is fairly old except for the graphics card. Anything I can do to get more performance out of this build? I was thinking about getting 16 gigs of DDR3 overclocked to 2400, but not sure if the performance boost will be enough to warrant the expense (around $100-120). This is mainly a gaming PC, but sometimes CPU resources are allocated to streaming since this is also a Plex server.

This year feels like the year of repairs. I had two internal hard drives, set up to mirror each other (via windows settings, not through the mobo. They were listed as one drive in windows (L:)

I thought I would get some sort of notification if one of them failed but I dont recall seeing any. And today I wake up to my PC making a weird beeping sound, and suddenly the drive is gone. I go into the manage disk utility and it says the drive is a foreign drive, so I import it, and then it says it has failed and can't be deactivated.

I tried unplugging one drive from the mobo and then the other to see if one would work individually, but I got the same result in both cases.

Am I screwed out of data? This is exactly why I bought the drives together - for redundancy - and now that seems to have failed. Any advice on how to move forward?

e90Mark

Anyone bought or seen the Corsair One?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XG7DD54/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Base model is $1800. The fact that it's not suppose to be upgradeable as it voids warranty makes me a little wary but a lot of the reviews say it's built quite well. What do you think a similar system could be build for $1400-$1500?

Spec wise, sure, but the coolest thing about it is the cooling solution.
You're going to pay extra for a cooling solution like that. The case isn't bad either, I think it's good looking.

Pooya

Hi.

So my current specs:

GTX 1070
12 GB of DDR3 RAM 1333hz

So everything is fairly old except for the graphics card. Anything I can do to get more performance out of this build? I was thinking about getting 16 gigs of DDR3 overclocked to 2400, but not sure if the performance boost will be enough to warrant the expense (around $100-120). This is mainly a gaming PC, but sometimes CPU resources are allocated to streaming since this is also a Plex server.

It's not worth it, save your money. There is nothing worthwhile you can do here, you should be fine anyway.

Hi.

So my current specs:

GTX 1070
12 GB of DDR3 RAM 1333hz

It's not worth it, save your money. There is nothing worthwhile you can do here, you should be fine anyway.

Yeah, only way you'll significantly bolster it is by going for a full CPU+Mobo+RAM replacement.

Any estimates how much I could get by selling my current build? Won't be able to use it for over a year and would want to upgrade after that anyway.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k
GPU: Saphire RX470 Nitro+ 4GB
RAM: 12GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance
Mobo: ASRock Z97 Pro4
Storage: 256GB Crucial MX100
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H60 2nd Gen.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
PSU: 620 Watt Seasonic M12II EVO Modular 80+ Bronze

Is 600€ realistic? Some of the stuff is 3 years old (PSU, CPU) but some is from this year (GPU, RAM).

Big Chungus

so my cousin lost his 8 pin power cable for his power supply/video card.

the local store has a 2xsata to pci-e 8 pin cable that they say will work but im not sure.

should we grab that cable or keep looking around for a 3rd party 8 pin cable?

plz help!

up and running with a new setup but my performance has been a bit underwhelming so far

gpu: gigabyte 1070 g1
cpu: i5-7600k
ram: gskill ripjaw 16 gb ddr4 3200mhz
psu: evga supernova 650
hdd: samsung 960 evo and wd caviar black 2 tb
cooler: cryorig h7

pretty much the enthusiast build in the op to the last dot

hitman maxed out is only averaging ~50fps @ 1080p with noticeable dips. bf1 also has drops every now and then. according to benchmark websites, this spec machine should absolutely crush these two at 1080p, temps on the cpu and gpu are good--what could it be?

Anyone bought or seen the Corsair One?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XG7DD54/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Base model is $1800. The fact that it's not suppose to be upgradeable as it voids warranty makes me a little wary but a lot of the reviews say it's built quite well. What do you think a similar system could be build for $1400-$1500?

It does look cool but you could definitely spend a lot less and have something upgradeable. Quick search for components matching the ones in that Corsair (and these may not even be the lowest prices):

7700 $300
MSI 1070 Seahawk $429
PSU $95 (Corsair RM550x as reference - the one in Corsair is 400w)
Motherboard $175 (ASUS Z270F as reference)
RAM $110 (Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400 as reference)
CPU cooler $100 (Corsair H110i v2 as reference)
Case $70
250GB SSD $147 (Samsung 960 EVO M.2 as reference)
1TB $50 (Seagate Barracuda 1TB as reference)

That's $1476

The video card is hybrid so you don't need to do anything there. Adding the Corsair hybrid cooler to the 7700 is about the same as adding an air cooler.

If you wanted to use $1800 as your top-end budget you could upgrade to a 7700k (overclockable as opposed to the 7700), GTX 1080, faster memory AND a bigger SSD.

7700k - extra $30
1080 Hybrid - (MSI Seahawk) - extra $115
16GB DDR4 3000 (Corsair Vengeance LED) - extra $20
512GB SSD (Samsung 960 EVO M.2) - extra $100

That's $1741

up and running with a new setup but my performance has been a bit underwhelming so far

hitman maxed out is only averaging ~50fps @ 1080p with noticeable dips. bf1 also has drops every now and then. according to benchmark websites, this spec machine should absolutely crush these two at 1080p, temps on the cpu and gpu are good--what could it be?

Well firstly, I presumed you've installed the various drivers for your motherboard, right?

Secondly, have you installed anything else from the motherboard manufacturer's website?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
This is what I'm thinking for gf's new PC, still have 2 months to decide while I'm saving up more cash:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P36Wd6

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($312.53 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($193.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($174.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1006.17

I already bought the power supply, and she already has a harddrive with windows we'll move from her current computer. I'm going to get a Vega or 1070 for my comp, and give her my r9 390 for this build.

rtcn63

Stolen from myself in another thread, might help, might not:

And if you haven't already, go into the Nvidia control panel and under global settings, set power management mode to "adaptive". Then under program settings, set the power management mode for BF1 (and any other seemingly underperforming game) to "prefer maximum performance". This is a necessary thing for some games.

This is what I'm thinking for gf's new PC, still have 2 months to decide while I'm saving up more cash:

Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.89 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.89 @ OutletPC)

I already bought the power supply, and she already has a harddrive with windows we'll move from her current computer. I'm going to get a Vega or 1070 for my comp, and give her my r9 390 for this build.
Get her an SSD

Renekton

I'm thinking you can use the stock bundled cooler and B350 motherboard which frees up money for a small OS SSD.

Edit explanation:
- OC on Ryzen is limited anyways so might as well use the stock cooler which is sufficient up to 3.8
- No point using the pricier X370 if you don't plan to SLI

Celcius

°Temp. member
At work this week I'm in a hackathon and I'm coding on a triple monitor machine with a 27" 5k display in the middle and a 27" 4k display on each side. Having so many pixels at your disposal is glorious.

*goes back to surfing the web on his single 23" 1080p home monitor :(

Jamaro85

If you're getting an air cooler with no budgetary constraints, what are you getting? (Within reason, not going to pay $200 just to pay $200)

Edit: How about the Noctua NH-D15?

Celcius

°Temp. member
If you're getting an air cooler with no budgetary constraints, what are you getting? (Within reason, not going to pay $200 just to pay $200)

Edit: How about the Noctua NH-D15?

NH-D15 would be my choice too. It performs great, isn't loud, and Noctua has great customer service.

Jamaro85

Yup that is the best in class if you're not worried about clearance.

The case my cousin is looking at has a clearance of 167mm and the fan is 165mm. Close but it looks like it'll work.

NH-D15 would be my choice too. It performs great, isn't loud, and Noctua has great customer service.

Sounds great!

If I were to go air cooler and I would've if it would fit in my case, I would've went with this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MFB358A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yes looks are everything.

I am getting him an MSI Gaming X GTX 1070, so hey, it'd match for sure.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JxzDyf

Budget: $1K
Purpose: Build as cheap as possible with most parts intended for longevity
Games: This year's wish list is just RE7, Prey, and Vanquish - ironically nothing demanding. But it ought to drive open-world games at least on high settings at 50 minimum FPS.
PC history: Current - Radeon 280X, i5 2500, 8 DDR3 1600 (was great until the PS4 Pro launched - have felt the CPU bottleneck in Unity games)
Previous - Radeon 6850, i3 2100, 4 DDR3 1333 (was fantastic last-gen)

Notes:
- Recycling PSU and SSD with Windows
- Monitor has everything I want - my current setup is a Frankenstein with a no-name TN on the right and a refurbished HannsG VA on the left, both 21.5 inches
- I know GAF is anti-4GB video cards but prices look high right now for 1060/480/580's - how bad could it be if I have Freesync? I think I have high immunity to stutter, I've never noticed millisecond instances. Damn Vega release!
- Can I overclock that RAM to a Ryzen-friendly speed? How necessary is 3200 MHz?
- Motherboard has good drivers/reliability?

What sort of practical gains in performance are to be had with NVM-E over a SATA SSD? I have a 250GB EVO 850 as my boot drive.

Is it a speed gain that you'll feel in your general use of Windows?

Multiple tests later

GPU fried

Not the PSU, the the CPU, not the Mobo!

Totally surprised

Cheap £25 6970 jammed in for now.
Total downgrade - but planning to buy a new PC next year anyway once VEGA hits.

Multiple tests later

GPU fried

Not the PSU, the the CPU, not the Mobo!

Totally surprised

Cheap £25 6970 jammed in for now.
Total downgrade - but planning to buy a new PC next year anyway once VEGA hits.

Well, damn. At least the PC still functions though, which is better than being stuck with nothing.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JxzDyf

Budget: $1K
Purpose: Build as cheap as possible with most parts intended for longevity
Games: This year's wish list is just RE7, Prey, and Vanquish - ironically nothing demanding. But it ought to drive open-world games at least on high settings at 50 minimum FPS.
PC history: Current - Radeon 280X, i5 2500, 8 DDR3 1600 (was great until the PS4 Pro launched - have felt the CPU bottleneck in Unity games)
Previous - Radeon 6850, i3 2100, 4 DDR3 1333 (was fantastic last-gen)

Notes:
- Recycling PSU and SSD with Windows
- Monitor has everything I want - my current setup is a Frankenstein with a no-name TN on the right and a refurbished HannsG VA on the left, both 21.5 inches
- I know GAF is anti-4GB video cards but prices look high right now for 1060/480/580's - how bad could it be if I have Freesync? I think I have high immunity to stutter, I've never noticed millisecond instances. Damn Vega release!
- Can I overclock that RAM to a Ryzen-friendly speed? How necessary is 3200 MHz?
- Motherboard has good drivers/reliability?
Don't bother trying to overclock the memory until the May AGESA update is out.

IIRC, the biggest knock I've seen on that mobo is poor VRM cooling, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Poke around on r/AMD for more info.

I would spend the extra money to get a 6-8GB card, because some games have huge textures/lots of effects and would be better off with a lot of VRAM.

Top Bottom