• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Momentary

Banned
Slim ITX builds are starting to get more and more common... but the innovation in cooling for this form factor is super lackluster. I'd 've willing to pay a good premium for some sort of all in one closed loop CPU and GPU cooler to fit in console sized boxes. I really feel like something more can be done I this sector and I hope it's accomplished before Volta is released.

rtcn63

Slim ITX builds are starting to get more and more common... but the innovation in cooling for this form factor is super lackluster. I'd 've willing to pay a good premium for some sort of all in one closed loop CPU and GPU cooler to fit in console sized boxes. I really feel like something more can be done I this sector and I hope it's accomplished before Volta is released.

I've seen a few people do 7700k builds in the Node 202 and RVZ series with moderate (shor-term?) success. Probably as small as I can justify going (considering price).

vYvievs.jpg

Ostinatto

Now that the PC is working and ready, i need a guide/tutorial on how to optimize win10 for gaming, game mode?

What you guys recommend?

Now that the PC is working and ready, i need a guide/tutorial on how to optimize win10 for gaming, game mode?

What you guys recommend?

Don't.

Game mode has been responsible for FPS dips in some games. Microsoft is clueless. Just mess around with the nVidia control panel for certain games; search for a tutorial.

CaptainABAB

My son wants to build his first PC...

What do you guys think about the following items he has selected? (Note: he is going for a white color theme)

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NiTRoS_Bruin/saved/yPqf7P

• Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • MSI - H270 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 C16 for DDR4 Systems
  • Sandisk - SSD PLUS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card
  • NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
  • EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Corsair - Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan

He will be using a monitor that only supports 1920x1200...should he consider saving some money by going with a GTX 1060?

Ok, what about a manual optimization tutorial?

For Windows? I don't know, sure. I've honestly never bothered with Windows itself; just not convinced it's worth the time for me personally for what I expect are negligible
results. Give it a go though. If you discover any good tricks let us know.

Ok, what about a manual optimization tutorial?

Really, 'optimising' in this regard is:
Keep the number of tasks running in the background (ie, skype, chrome, tweetdeck) to a minimum by closing them
Have a framerate tool ready
Fiddle with settings per game, try to get around the level of performance you want

ISee

My son wants to build his first PC...

What do you guys think about the following items he has selected? (Note: he is going for a white color theme)

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/NiTRoS_Bruin/saved/yPqf7P

• Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • MSI - H270 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 C16 for DDR4 Systems
  • Sandisk - SSD PLUS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card
  • NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
  • EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Corsair - Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan

He will be using a monitor that only supports 1920x1200...should he consider saving some money by going with a GTX 1060?

A 1060 will be enough for 1920x1200, but a 1070 will allow him to play at higher settings. If he can afford it and it is in the budget, I'd let him go with the 1070, because it is always nice to have some gpu headroom left for future games.

The 7600k has no cooler. He either needs the 7500 or an extra cpu cooler.

The H270 chipset isn't a good match for an unlocked K processor and the DDR4 2666 MHz ram. Everything will work and performance will be fine. The RAM will just ran at 2400 MHz, because only the z270 series allows for higher ram speeds and he won't be able to use the full potential of the 7600k (no overclocking). Either get a z270 board, or the cheaper i5 7500 + cheaper ddr4 2400.

At least consider getting an AMD R5 1600 CPU instead of the i5. Performance wise the r5 1600 and i5 7600k are comparable (for gaming). But the R5 1600 has the higher core and thread count, and could become the better CPU for gaming and applications ion the future. That said, the decision is up to you two: Both the i5 and the R5 have their benefits.

A 1060 will be enough for 1920x1200, but a 1070 will allow him to play at higher settings. If he can afford it and it is in the budget, I'd let him go with the 1070, because it is always nice to have some gpu headroom left for future games.

The H270 chipset isn't a good match for an unlocked K processor and the DDR4 2666 MHz ram. Everything will work and performance will be fine. The RAM will just ran at 2400 MHz, because only the z270 series allows for higher ram speeds and he won't be able to use the full potential of the 7600k (no overclocking). Either get a z270 board, or the cheaper i5 7500 + cheaper ddr4 2400.

At least consider getting an AMD R5 1600 CPU instead of the i5. Performance wise the r5 1600 and i5 7600k are comparable (for gaming). But the R5 1600 has the higher core and thread count, and could become the better CPU for gaming and applications ion the future. That said, the decision is up to you two: Both the i5 and the R5 have their benefits.

I really wouldn't recommend getting a 4-core 4-thread CPU today, especially now that the Ryzen 1600 exists. 4-threads on the 7600 will reach its limit very soon.

ISee

I really wouldn't recommend getting a 4-core 4-thread CPU today, especially now that the Ryzen 1600 exists. 4-threads on the 7600 will reach its limit very soon.

Based on what?Also, very soon is a very brave predoction.

I don't understand why people are so confident in saying stuff like that. I'm having a hard time recommending one over the other.

I think it's more of an economics problem than innovation. You're talking niche within a niche here. I kind of doubt there would be enough volume to beat custom loop on price, which would even further limit the market.

Best bet right now would be Alphacool. They have a modular AIO system that would probably work. It's expensive and not readily available though... EK supposedly working on something as well. The technology is there I'm sure, it's probably much more of an issue getting it produced with sufficient quality at a realistic price.

That said, there is a lot more interest in AIO coolers for GPUs these days, so that might help drive things.

cyen

I don't understand why people are so confident in saying stuff like that. I'm having a hard time recommending one over the other.

Same performance,same price more cores. Easy choice.

CaptainABAB

Thank you for all of the useful feedback! Much appreciated!!

If you think a 4-core 4-thread CPU is equal value to one that is 6-cores 12-threads, which costs around the same and has identical performance now in new games (and will only get faster) I don't know what to say to you. Or I do: you're giving poor advice.

LilJoka

My PC is telling me to get the windows 10 creators update. Should I just tell it to screw off?

Just update, really windows update and nvidia driver updates (at least when running a new AAA game) shouldn't be ignored or have to be worried about. Generally everything should always work with lean custom builds.

cyen

Just update, really windows update and nvidia driver updates (at least when running a new AAA game) shouldn't be ignored or have to be worried about. Generally everything should always work with lean custom builds.

Not for hdr users :( not working correctly after creators update.

Jarnet87

I read through the headphone section, but I'm still at a loss.

I just want a comfortable, decent quality headset for gaming and Youtube.

My Hyper X Cloud has served me well. Think it's $80 regular, can find on sale from time to time for closer to $60. This pair has lasted me at least 3+ years and only had to replace the microphone part for $10. I find them comfortable, and the sound and microphone quality are nice for the price IMO. Most people who have bought a pair expecting a quality but not top of the line headset at a good price are satisfied. The only other headset I bought was a Steel Series V2 and thought it was junk.

^^ second the Hyper X Cloud. If you want a pair of headphones with a built-in mic you can't go wrong with those. After driver/software issues with a USB connected pair from Corsair I swore off gaming headphones, but made an exception for those and glad I did.

If you don't want a built-in mic then, yeah, it's paradox of choice.

Megabat

That would be great, but I'm in Canada. I'll try building out that rig when I get a chance just to see, but it'll definitely be a couple hundred more.

Uhhh yeah I accounted for the exchange rate (approximately). Assuming a ~$900CAD budget ($600 PC + Radeon and power supply).

TheExodu5

Banned
So I just convinced my friend to get a new GPU. He picked up an EVGA GTX 1060 SC. Unfortunately he's having an issue with it. Whenever he launches a game or stresses it, his PC hard resets.

Temps are seemingly fine. Clean driver install.

I would have assumed a PSU issue but he's running a 650W modular Enermax, and we tried different 12V rails, no luck. Plus, his old card was a GTX 660, which has a 140W power draw, while the 1060 only has a 125W power draw, so it's hard to see why the PSU would be an issue.

Any ideas?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Ok guys, an update. I've posted a few times about my woes with AMD and concerns about Vega...

I have a r9 290 and a freesync 144hz 1440p monitor. Would buying a 1070 or something be stupid? How silly would 'wasting' the freesync element be?

I have a 1440p 144hz freesync monitor with a 1070. I really don't have any tearing issues as it is so I don't see that as being a necessity.

There's always Fast Sync in the few extreme cases which clears that up anyway.

Hey guys my buddy is looking to upgrade a few parts and was just looking for some advice.

Your Current Specs: i5 2500k / ddr3 1600mhz / asus maximus 4 extremeZ / gtx 980ti ( / 700W PSU / coolermaster haf / 500GB SSD)
Budget: 1500, Australia
Main Use: Playing the latest Games , General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: 1440P 60FPS
Looking to reuse any parts?:Will be reusing my SSD/HDDs and my gtx980ti
When will you build?: This week
Will you be overclocking?: No

This is what I've come up with so far.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Processor with Wraith Spire RGB Fan

ASRock AB350M Pro4 Motherboard

G.Skill Fortis F4-2400C15D-16GFT (2x8GB) Ryzen DDR4

Corsair CX-750 Modular 80+ Bronze Power Supply

Fractal Design Define C Case

Also he will most likely be upgrading his graphics card in a few months.

edit: Will be getting all the parts from https://www.pccasegear.com/

edit: Changing ram because I don't think the one I choose is compatible.

That or the PG279Q. Believe the actual panel from AU is the same. May be another monitor or two with that panel out there as well.

Cool, thanks. Has the QA improved with these panels over time? I know when I looked into these awhile ago it sounded like a bit of a lottery if you get a good one or not, but they've been available for awhile now so I'm wondering if the issues have been sorted out?

rtcn63

So I just convinced my friend to get a new GPU. He picked up an EVGA GTX 1060 SC. Unfortunately he's having an issue with it. Whenever he launches a game or stresses it, his PC hard resets.

Temps are seemingly fine. Clean driver install.

I would have assumed a PSU issue but he's running a 650W modular Enermax, and we tried different 12V rails, no luck. Plus, his old card was a GTX 660, which has a 140W power draw, while the 1060 only has a 125W power draw, so it's hard to see why the PSU would be an issue.

Any ideas?

Is it an Asus board? Are you getting an "Anti-Surge" message after the reboot?

Mostly like the PSU just can't handle the load, with power spikes triggering the reboots. But if it is an Asus, you can try going into the bios and switching Anti-Surge off, or even updating the bios to a newer version if possible. Apparently it can be iffy overall.

Another possible fix seems to use something like MSI Afterburner or Precision X to lower the GPU's power target/limit.

Also make sure all the PSU cables plugged into the mobo and GPU correctly.

And man, google comes up with a lot of issues with the Enermax line. I actually replaced a 670 with a 1060 SC, PSU is a Seasonic 430w. I have both the CPU and GPU overclocked.

Don't bother trying to overclock the memory until the May AGESA update is out.

IIRC, the biggest knock I've seen on that mobo is poor VRM cooling, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Poke around on r/AMD for more info.

I would spend the extra money to get a 6-8GB card, because some games have huge textures/lots of effects and would be better off with a lot of VRAM.
Okay, I'll consider another motherboard since it sounds like a newer BIOS screws it up. Just how the hell do I find a good motherboard under $100?

The GPU seems problematic right now. I now realize 4GB is suicide on an ultrawide, but would you say an 8GB 580 is worth ~$250?

sikkinixx

Hmm so looks like I'll get to keep my old pc (long story).

It's a 2500k and a 460GTX. If I overclock the CPU and chuck in a new video card would that do me for a little while? I have about $300ish Canadian to spend and would really love to get into BattleGrounds. I'm only gonna play in 1080p so no 4K g-syncing etc

Im thinking of updating my rig from 2013. Im not really much of a pc guy but may look into upgrading my rig instead of buying a ps4pro or scorpio. Im not sure what to upgrade first and dont want to blow the bank either. Any advice would be great. My specs are:

processor: CPUA003085
AMD A10-5800K Quad-Core 3.60 GHz APU (3.90 GHz Turbo), Socket FM2

motherboard: MBAS004015
ASUS F2A55-M/CSM with AMD A55 FCH (Hudson D2) Chipset, Socket FM2

RAM: RAMK003748
Kingston HyperX Genesis 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

video card: VCEV001765
EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 650 Superclocked, 1 GB GDDR5 Memory

hard drive: HDSG002084
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB, SATA3 (6.0 Gb/s), 7200 RPM

power supply: PSCO000135
Corsair Enthusiast Series VX550 80Plus Certified 550 Watt Power Supply

Akim

Banned
New PC is finally built. Has anyone ran Unigine Valley Benchmark and can tell me what a good score is? Google isn't helping me.

edit: with ultra settings and 8x anti alias:
RSv92Aq.png

The stock cooler that comes with the Pentium G4560 is really kinda loud.

What's a good really quiet cooler that won't break the bank? I'm using a micro ATX build so smaller the better.

nomis

New PC is finally built. Has anyone ran Unigine Valley Benchmark and can tell me what a good score is? Google isn't helping me.

edit: with ultra settings and 8x anti alias:
RSv92Aq.png

Why do you care about benchmarks? Lol you have a 1080ti running at 1080p. You'll be wrecking every game for the next six years.

ISee

If you think a 4-core 4-thread CPU is equal value to one that is 6-cores 12-threads, which costs around the same and has identical performance now in new games (and will only get faster) I don't know what to say to you. Or I do: you're giving poor advice.

We have AMD 8 core cpus now forever. The industry still prefers intels less cores but better performance per core cpus. As of right now, there is no significant data that gives us any kind of proof that this is going to change in the future. But for people having magic future visions, just like you.
Also please read my recommendations again, I'm always making people aware of AMD and Intel benefits, but I'm not making a clear recommendation towards one side or the other. I strongly believe that people can make their own decision when presented with enough facts. So stop calling me out on stuff that isn't true, because it paints you in a bad light in the first place.
My pro tip for you: Get down from your immaginary high horse and start thinking for yourself instead of repeating PR.

I just let my PC do the new Windows update. Good idea to leave game mode on or turn it off?

Some say it makes performance better, some say it's worse. I gave it a try, playing the new Forza Horizon 3 expansion and noticed no difference, so I've deactivated it.

Why do you care about benchmarks? Lol you have a 1080ti running at 1080p. You'll be wrecking every game for the next six years.

I think they're wanting to make sure that their score suggests the hardware is running properly. If it were somehow well below what's expected, that would be an issue.

Mind, the best way to know for sure is to play some games and compare the general performance between one's own machine and other benchmarks. I knew something was off with my build a few days ago because I knew a 6700k and GTX 970 in tandem should have easily hung around 60 FPS, instead of the 30-40 I was getting. 7700K with a GTX 1080 Ti... well, pick out whatever you like from the Digital Foundry reviews.

Looking to replace my old mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard with something more a bit beefy along with the processor (i5 3570k) as well and ram. I want to play my games in dx12. Any you folks know what would be a good replacement?

Top Bottom