• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

The GPU seems problematic right now. I now realize 4GB is suicide on an ultrawide, but would you say an 8GB 580 is worth ~$250?
That's a good price for a mid-range card like that.
Looking to replace my old mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard with something more a bit beefy along with the processor (i5 3570k) as well and ram. I want to play my games in dx12. Any you folks know what would be a good replacement?
R5 1600(X) plus a decent B350 or midrange X370 ($150 tops).

The RAM is going to be be the big problem, since the prices are terrible right now and the AGESA updates aren't done yet.

sikkinixx

If I were to go with a 4GB 570 or 580 is the 580 worth the extra $30cdn?

Both are MSI Armour versions (whatever that means) and are sold by Amazon and not shipping for a month or so, which is fine since my PC is at work until the end of June, but the prices seem pretty good ($244cdn and $275cdn respectively). I'll only be 1080p gaming and don't expect 1080ti level performance or anything. Just trying to keep shit until $300 so I can replace some fans and the CPU cooler etc. They look about performance wise to a 1060, but a lot less (albeit it they a lot less power efficient )

I haven't bought an AMD anything since my ATI 9600 All-in-Wonder card.

RootCause

Just noticed that my rc 480 fans won't spin after the creator update. Unfortunately the go back to an earlier build option is no longer available. is reset the only option?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Drakhoran

Neo Member
Won't spin at all or just won't spin while only showing the desktop? Many recent graphics cards will only spin up the fan when the card hits a certain temperature.

Guys/girls for the love of god post your fucking budget. "I don't want to break the bank" is not helpful. Even people who are willing to spend quite a bit don't want to "break the bank" so that's a given. The question is how much are you willing to spend.

KurtFehl

Guys/girls for the love of god post your fucking budget. "I don't want to break the bank" is not helpful. Even people who are willing to spend quite a bit don't want to "break the bank" so that's a given. The question is how much are you willing to spend.

"Don't want to break the bank" is relative. To me, that means $5 and I'm sweating anxiety. To PlayALLtheGames, that means a small amount of 1 million dollars. It's all relative folks.

"Don't want to break the bank" is relative. To me, that means $5 and I'm sweating anxiety. To PlayALLtheGames, that means a small amount of 1 million dollars. It's all relative folks.

His point is that providing some baseline is useful. Otherwise we're not sure if someone is aiming for the best graphics card under 200 dollars, 300, or 400.

Ah, if only that were true!! Maybe one day...

No, not even one day.

Point was just that there are so many products at so many price points across the spectrum it's hard to recommend things if the only guideline is "don't want to break the bank." You want the best possible parts for your specific budget.

Nothing worse than putting in all the effort and dealing with all the inherent issues of a new build, booting it up and being secretly disappointed, then realizing you could have easily gone a bit higher on some part/s. Buyer's remorse sucks but on PC builds it's especially annoying. Help people in the thread help you avoid it.

My Hyper X Cloud has served me well. Think it's $80 regular, can find on sale from time to time for closer to $60. This pair has lasted me at least 3+ years and only had to replace the microphone part for $10. I find them comfortable, and the sound and microphone quality are nice for the price IMO. Most people who have bought a pair expecting a quality but not top of the line headset at a good price are satisfied. The only other headset I bought was a Steel Series V2 and thought it was junk.

^^ second the Hyper X Cloud. If you want a pair of headphones with a built-in mic you can't go wrong with those. After driver/software issues with a USB connected pair from Corsair I swore off gaming headphones, but made an exception for those and glad I did.

If you don't want a built-in mic then, yeah, it's paradox of choice.
Hmm, I may go with this.
Are the cords on these more expensive (to me, at least) headphones still prone to shorting out? I've always found that to be an inevitable point of failure.

chaosaeon

I've been thinking about upgrading something in my PC but don't know what should be upgraded first and what I should be getting to replace it with. I've had this one for 7 years. I've curently got :

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz.
NVidia GTX 660 Ti ( a GIGABYTE GV-N66TWF2-2GD which runs cooler than any other card I've had) 12 GB Ram
Board - MSI 890FXA-GD70 AM3+ AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Power supply.
And a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO which I think needs lubricating as it rattles/grinds unless I turn the speed down.

Any suggestions welcome.

I've been thinking about upgrading something in my PC but don't know what should be upgraded first and what I should be getting to replace it with. I've had this one for 7 years. I've curently got :

NVidia GTX 660 Ti ( a GIGABYTE GV-N66TWF2-2GD which runs cooler than any other card I've had) 12 GB Ram
And a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO which I think needs lubricating as it rattles/grinds unless I turn the speed down.

Any suggestions welcome.

CPU, Mobo, and RAM. You're ultimately going to have to replace most of the system overall, but those would be the most significant to get out of the way.

So, what sort of performance goal are you hoping to achieve, and/or how much are you willing to spend on the upgrade?

Hey guys my buddy is looking to upgrade a few parts and was just looking for some advice.

Your Current Specs: i5 2500k / ddr3 1600mhz / asus maximus 4 extremeZ / gtx 980ti ( / 700W PSU / coolermaster haf / 500GB SSD)
Budget: 1500, Australia
Main Use: Playing the latest Games , General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: 1440P 60FPS
Looking to reuse any parts?:Will be reusing my SSD/HDDs and my gtx980ti
When will you build?: This week
Will you be overclocking?: No

This is what I've come up with so far.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Processor with Wraith Spire RGB Fan

ASRock AB350M Pro4 Motherboard

G.Skill Fortis F4-2400C15D-16GFT (2x8GB) Ryzen DDR4

Corsair CX-750 Modular 80+ Bronze Power Supply

Fractal Design Define C Case

Also he will most likely be upgrading his graphics card in a few months.

edit: Will be getting all the parts from https://www.pccasegear.com/

edit: Changing ram because I don't think the one I choose is compatible.

Quoting for new page.

Cool, thanks. Has the QA improved with these panels over time? I know when I looked into these awhile ago it sounded like a bit of a lottery if you get a good one or not, but they've been available for awhile now so I'm wondering if the issues have been sorted out?

It really depends on how sensitive you are to backlight-bleed and the like. There is no absolutely ideal monitor out yet, so some people are going to be unhappy with just about anything. I would still recommend ordering from some place with a decent return policy.

BTW, AOC and Viewsonic now also make models with that same AU panel.

Hmm, I may go with this.
Are the cords on these more expensive (to me, at least) headphones still prone to shorting out? I've always found that to be an inevitable point of failure.

It's a braided cord, I haven't had any issues. The strain relief seems reasonable, but I've only had them about a year and half so far. There is a volume adjustment "box" as well. I've found these to be another major failure point, so I tend to not play with that knob. Plus side is that the volume control is a separate piece, so you could still use them if that went out (although the cable would be short).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Anyone have any experience with cases that mount the MB upside down (allowing for a right side window)? Have been thinking of getting one, but haven't seen much about how it might impact airflow with things like the GPU facing up instead of down.

The stock cooler that comes with the Pentium G4560 is really kinda loud.

What's a good really quiet cooler that won't break the bank? I'm using a micro ATX build so smaller the better.

closed loop water cooler with just a 1 fan radiator? I have an NZXT and it's really quiet.

Might also look into a Zalman low profile CPU cooler. I have used their large coolers in the past and have been very pleased with noise levels on the fans.

Josman

GAF, is there such thing as a "half" controller for PC? one that substitutes the need to use the a keyboard for first person shooters? the mouse is unbeatable, but god damn I HATE wasd for these games.

Jabronium

GAF, is there such thing as a "half" controller for PC? one that substitutes the need to use the a keyboard for first person shooters? the mouse is unbeatable, but god damn I HATE wasd for these games.

Could check out the Logitech G13 or Razer Tartarus. Considering getting one myself for my new build.

blacklotus

Guys, i need you savvy quick!

I was going to buy the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB next monday, around 490€, but, another store has the MSI Armor OC 8GB on sale at 435€!

Considering that the max i aim for in resolutions is full HD, should i still get the Gaming X or just go for the deal?

Thanks!

J-Rzez

Are there any new gaming monitors on the horizon I should be waiting for? Id want a 27" at minimum. G-sync and freesync capable is a plus. My budget would be around $1000. Its hard for me to justify any more than that for such a small screen for gaming purposes.

As much as I'd want that Dell OLED, dat price tag.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Just upgraded my GPU moderately... went from a GTX 670 2gb to a 1060 6gb. Should be here next week (along with some extra RAM). Can't wait!

I was SO close to jumping right to a 1070 but got a screaming deal on the 1060 I could not pass on.

Hi, everyone!

I am in the process of building my first gaming PC. This has been something I've been wanting to do for a long time, and finally, have the funds available to do so. Since this is my first time, I'm reading everything I can and watching videos on how to build it, what to look for, etc.

My budget is $2,500, which I think (hopefully) will be enough wiggle room to really build something that will last me for a good long while. I also made a custom build list on PCPartPicker.

I could really use some help/tips to guide me on this so if you all don't mind giving me a hand, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Renekton

Hi, everyone!

I am in the process of building my first gaming PC. This has been something I've been wanting to do for a long time, and finally, have the funds available to do so. Since this is my first time, I'm reading everything I can and watching videos on how to build it, what to look for, etc.

My budget is $2,500, which I think (hopefully) will be enough wiggle room to really build something that will last me for a good long while. I also made a custom build list on PCPartPicker.

I could really use some help/tips to guide me on this so if you all don't mind giving me a hand, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
Hmm the x99 platform you are on uses quad-channel memory, so try something like 4x4GB.

knitoe

Hi, everyone!

Thanks.

Yes. 4 sticks of DDR4 ram for quad channel. I would suggest a better CPU cooler. The x99 CPUs uses more watts, and thus, needs a bigger cooler, especially if you plan on overclocking which you should since it's a free speed boost.

Also, do you already own the 840 Pro? If not, there are way better option for that price.

chaosaeon

Any suggestions welcome.

CPU, Mobo, and RAM. You're ultimately going to have to replace most of the system overall, but those would be the most significant to get out of the way.

So, what sort of performance goal are you hoping to achieve, and/or how much are you willing to spend on the upgrade?

Dang really ? I was thinking people were gonna say get a new GPU. I didn't know 12 GB wasn't enough ram anymore either. I'm hoping to be able to play current games at 1080p or higher (and maybe some older games at over 1080p. And maybe finally get a reliable framerate on the original Crysis with mods.

ISee

Dang really ? I was thinking people were gonna say get a new GPU. I didn't know 12 GB wasn't enough ram anymore either. I'm hoping to be able to play current games at 1080p or higher (and maybe some older games at over 1080p. And maybe finally get a reliable framerate on the original Crysis with mods.

The AMD Phenom II x6 1090T can still push games to 1080p/60, especially overclocked. But he is starting to run into problems like e.g. in Watch Dog 2 and no matter what, it will be bottlenecking a 1060. JonnyDBrit is right. You are nearing a point where upgrading your entire setup is necessary if 1080/60 is your goal.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2898-amd-phenom-ii-cpu-revisit-in-2017-x6-1090t-1055t/page-3

IC5

12gb is fine.

The problem is that ram is not usable with a current CPU and mobo.

blacklotus

Guys, i need you savvy quick!

I was going to buy the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB next monday, around 490€, but, another store has the MSI Armor OC 8GB on sale at 435€!

Considering that the max i aim for in resolutions is full HD, should i still get the Gaming X or just go for the deal?

Thanks!

Anyone?

:<

Stubo

Anyone?

The overclocking/performance difference won't be huge, it's more about temperatures and acoustics.

How important is silence in your build? Is it worth the price difference?

It may be worth reading/watching reviews to see the difference for yourself.

ISee

I received a MSI GeForce GT 610 Video Card

what's the use for this?

is it necessary if the pc has a gtx 980?

No, it's useless. Not even for physX. Say thank you, put it away and don't even look at it.

Anyone?

The msi armour is one of the cheaper cards, it will run at lower clockspeeds, temperatures are higher, it only has one 8pin power connector and overclocking will be harder there. That said it will get the job done.

But as 500&#8364; are your budget I'd say get a cheap 1080. You can already find them for just under 500&#8364;. For example this one:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01GEML1AU/

(Sorry for just pasting the link, I'm on mobile atm)

This KFA2 gtx 1080 card has the same problems as the msi 1070 armor. It is a bit louder, boost clock speed is a bit lower and it will get a bit more hot. But it is still a 1080 and will easily outperform the 1070 gaming X and is the way better card from a performance perspective. Especially considering that both cost the same.

Do you need a 1080 for fullHD? Not really, but it'sin your budget and I'm sure it will get you 1080/60/reasonable ultra settings for a long time.

So either get the cheap 1070 or the cheap 1080. No sense buying a high end 1070 at that price.

NEO0MJ

Would there be any issues if I bought&#8203; a single 16 GB ram instead of two 8?
Also, I think I might go with the CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES 88R case. However it only has two 3.5 bays. Would this be an issue when installing a SSD?

The AMD Phenom II x6 1090T can still push games to 1080p/60, especially overclocked. But he is starting to run into problems like e.g. in Watch Dog 2 and no matter what, it will be bottlenecking a 1060. JonnyDBrit is right. You are nearing a point where upgrading your entire setup is necessary if 1080/60 is your goal.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2898-amd-phenom-ii-cpu-revisit-in-2017-x6-1090t-1055t/page-3

Pretty much. A current Mobo will only take DDR4 RAM, so you'd have to replace that. Thing is, in this sort of context I consider dealing with the CPU/Mobo/RAM more paramount than replacing the GPU, since the GPU can still function, unconstrained by all other hardware factors. It would also be physically easier to replace later on, as you could just unplug and replace the card, vs having to disassemble the whole thing to get the Motherboard and all other components out.

I mean, technically a short term solution would be to pick up a high end AMD FX CPU, but there's still no upgrade path after that as AMD have moved on to Ryzen with AM4, which has no backwards compatibility with AM3 - and those CPUs still cost money that would be better spent getting something more capable. It's actually not a bad year to replacing your motherboard and CPU, since Kabylake and Ryzen together have good CPUs out to address the various price points; if only RAM prices weren't inflated.

dr_mario

So, what's the worst that can happen if I buy RAM that's not on the compatibility lis of my MoBo? It not working at all? It running on a lower frequence?
I'm considering a slightly used RAM that's not on the list of the Mobo I just ordered from Amazon (which might or might not ship, it seems like a price mistake), and can't find experiences of the exact constellation.

So, what's the worst that can happen if I buy RAM that's not on the compatibility lis of my MoBo? It not working at all? It running on a lower frequence?
I'm considering a slightly used RAM that's not on the list of the Mobo I just ordered from Amazon (which might or might not ship, it seems like a price mistake), and can't find experiences of the exact constellation.

If we're talking Ryzen, then the worst that'll happen is that it won't run well if you try to OC it to or above the advertised frequencies, I believe. Ie, a 3000 Mhz module may not run stable on current BIOS unless it's specifically advertised as 'compatible with Ryzen', though obviously motherboard providers are trying to work on this in general. It'll still run at the default 2133 if you just stick it in.

Would there be any issues if I bought&#8203; a single 16 GB ram instead of two 8?
Also, I think I might go with the CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES 88R case. However it only has two 3.5 bays. Would this be an issue when installing a SSD?

Single channel memory is usually no bueno since you'll have half the memory bandwidth over dual channel. The 88R has a place on the backplane to install an SSD:

carbide_88r_20.png

dr_mario

If we're talking Ryzen, then the worst that'll happen is that it won't run well if you try to OC it to or above the advertised frequencies, I believe. Ie, a 3000 Mhz module may not run stable on current BIOS unless it's specifically advertised as 'compatible with Ryzen', though obviously motherboard providers are trying to work on this in general. It'll still run at the default 2133 if you just stick it in.
Jup, Ryzen. The MoBo is ASRock Fatal1ty x370 Gaming K4 and the RAM would be G. Skill Ripjaws 4 2x8 GB @ 3000Mhz.
Sounds good if it doesn't not-run, I guess that could be updateable with Bios as you say.

NEO0MJ

Single channel memory is usually no bueno since you'll have half the memory bandwidth over dual channel. The 88R has a place on the backplane to install an SSD:

Thanks for the info. Should have expected that with the Ram but I was so hopeful it wouldn't hurt.

Jup, Ryzen. The MoBo is ASRock Fatal1ty x370 Gaming K4 and the RAM would be G. Skill Ripjaws 4 2x8 GB @ 3000Mhz.
Sounds good if it doesn't not-run, I guess that could be updateable with Bios as you say.

With how much Ryzen seems dependent on RAM speeds for performance, it's certainly getting a lot of emphasis atm.

Hmm, I may go with this.
I have the cloud 2 and they've been great headphones that I got on sale. I've never had the cord short out on me on this pair.

Any suggestions welcome.

Personally I would suggest upgrading the GPU and riding out the rest of the generation with that setup.

I have a amd a10 5800k and a gtx 650 1gb sc. Im looking to upgrade to play current games @ 1080p. Is my cpu fine if i upgrade to a 1050ti gpu?

As long as you're happy with 30 fps you should be good to go. The a10 will bottleneck the card though.

Top Bottom