• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

What would be considered the best quality/value G-Sync monitor these days?

I'm due for changing one of my monitor and I'd love to jump on the G-Sync train but those things are so fucking expensive!
I have an Acer Predator XB271HU that I bought refurbished. A lot of people recommend it as the best one at the moment until the new G-Sync monitors start shipping. If you find a refurbished model for around $560 I'd say go for it.

NEO0MJ

How reliable are the Trident Z RGB? I'm kinda interested in their gimmick but I'm afraid of them crapping on me. The reason that scares me the most is that I'm going to have to import them and so returning will be a pain.

What would be considered the best quality/value G-Sync monitor these days?

I'm due for changing one of my monitor and I'd love to jump on the G-Sync train but those things are so fucking expensive!

1440p, 144Hz, 27" is what you're looking for, or something else?

Dell S2716DG is probably the best "low cost" option, as it's fairly easy to get under $500. It's still a TN screen though, if that bothers you. The current IPS options are a considerable premium ($100-$200+) unless you get them on sale somewhere.

picked out parts for some people:

BUILD 1 is going to someone who plays a ton of games and has wanted to build a PC for years. his budget was $1000 to $1200 MAX so I thought this was solid:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.47 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY - CS1111 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card ($379.99 @ Jet)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1192.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-15 13:55 EDT-0400

BUILD 2 is for my GF who is looking to get a desktop. she's interested in games but would rather get a graphics card later on, so i figured this might be an okay future-proof until then. needs to crush her comp sci curriculum. budget would be around $500 with the ability to become a pretty solid gaming machine down the line.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.59 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY - CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $484.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-15 13:57 EDT-0400

any tips on either would be appreciated! I've only put together my own PC so I'm still relatively new to picking out parts and stuff... Would love to maximize the most out of the budget. Thanks!

Weevilone

How reliable are the Trident Z RGB? I'm kinda interested in their gimmick but I'm afraid of them crapping on me. The reason that scares me the most is that I'm going to have to import them and so returning will be a pain.

I can't speak for the RGB unfortunately, but would suggest that you carefully consider any RAM purchase. You can get varied performance depending on the sticks you receive, your memory controller, and even the motherboard that you choose.

I don't think I'd want to import RAM after my experiences trying to get good performance out of some Trident Z's with a 7700K and recent Asus motherboard (or three).

NandoGip

Are there any legit upgrades I could do to a laptop to get the temps down?

Options I've read:
-Disable throttling and undervolt it to squeeze out more performance.
-Applying new higher-performance thermal paste makes a difference.
-Don't bother with those outerfan attachments
-Do bother with a stand made for laptops

Obviously getting a desktop is the ultimate solution, but not in the market for one until late this year probably.

Diablos

What's better: RX 550 or GTX 1050? Is the 1050Ti worth it?

How badly will a FX-6300 bottleneck these GPUs? Want to breathe some new life into my old machine with a GTX 660.

I'd get a 1060 but given my CPU it doesn't make much sense. Don't want to spend much either.

rtcn63

Are there any legit upgrades I could do to a laptop to get the temps down?

Options I've read:
-Disable throttling and undervolt it to squeeze out more performance.
-Applying new higher-performance thermal paste makes a difference.
-Don't bother with those outerfan attachments
-Do bother with a stand made for laptops

Obviously getting a desktop is the ultimate solution, but not in the market for one until late this year probably.

If it's an older laptop, clean out the dust. And elevate it if the intake vents are at the bottom (which I guess goes with "bother with a stand"). Maybe have a strong fan blowing upward into it?

NEO0MJ

I can't speak for the RGB unfortunately, but would suggest that you carefully consider any RAM purchase. You can get varied performance depending on the sticks you receive, your memory controller, and even the motherboard that you choose.

I don't think I'd want to import RAM after my experiences trying to get good performance out of some Trident Z's with a 7700K and recent Asus motherboard (or three).

I generally wanted to avoid importing anything but I thought RAMs would be safe. Guess I'm sticking to non-glowing RAM ;-;

Connecting a PC to an OLED TV, how big of a concern is burn in? Static elements like browser menus and what not could be displayed for long periods. I want to replace my aging TV and OLED seems like the way to go today but this issue has me concerned from what I've seen.

Weevilone

I generally wanted to avoid importing anything but I thought RAMs would be safe. Guess I'm sticking to non-glowing RAM ;-;

I'm not sure what platform you're looking at, but I spent a lot of time getting my G.Skill 3866 kit running at 3600. I made sure the memory was on my motherboard's QVL sheet, and that the motherboard was on the RAM kit's QVL list too.

Still, I spent days and RMA's just getting 3600 going. I understand a lot is down to the silicon you get from the CPU, but I'd still err on the side of caution.

What's better: RX 550 or GTX 1050? Is the 1050Ti worth it?

How badly will a FX-6300 bottleneck these GPUs? Want to breathe some new life into my old machine with a GTX 660.

I'd get a 1060 but given my CPU it doesn't make much sense. Don't want to spend much either.

GTX 1050 over the RX 550, and the Ti is rather the extra money if your aim is 1080p60 at medium to high settings.

The CPU ultimately won't bottleneck those cards too badly - it's only when you get up to things like the GTX 1060 that it'll really hamper things and prevent you from achieving high framerates.

Windam

Scaley member
Anyone here have an ASUS mobo with a BIOS that can't be flashed back to an older version? My Z170-A is running 3007 (recently downflashed from 3401), and the whole 3xxx series has been a mess. My monitor (connected via HDMI to my 1070) is never detected on the first boot. I always have to wait and either press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart the PC which causes my display to be identified, then I have to go into BIOS and start Windows through the Boot override (even with my SSD set as 1st drive). Trying to revert back to 2202 or 2001 (2001 worked great) gives me a "Selected file is not a proper BIOS!" in EZ Flash. Any help? :/

I've got an i5 2500K at the moment with a GTX560ti and 4GB RAM.

Thinking of purchasing a 1060 and upgrading RAM - how much of a bottleneck would my CPU be until I can do a proper CPU/motherboard upgrade?

Have you considered Corsair Platinum Dominators? They have a lightbar that can glow as well.

The Flash

Banned
Some new replacements parts that I'm considering getting in a few months.

i7-7700K
CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Asus - MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
NZXT - S340 Elite Case

Plus the things I already have in my rig.

GTX 1070
2x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
1TB WD HDD
650W PU that I can't remember what it's called

Could use some recommendations on RAM though. Looking to get something that'll be good for gaming and things like video rendering. 16gbs would be preferable.

ISee

Thinking of purchasing a 1060 and upgrading RAM - how much of a bottleneck would my CPU be until I can do a proper CPU/motherboard upgrade?

1080p/60 fps will be doable, but the 2500k is reaching the end of his lifetime. If you really have to you can push through 2017 with it. It will bottleneck your 1060 though and you'll have to live with fps drops, mostly in CPU heavy open world titles (Witcher 3, GTA V, Watch Dogs 2). Going for 16gb of ram is reasonable for new builds. But just go for 8 in your case, no sense investing into ram because you'll have to get ddr4 anyway and your ddr3 ram will be useless.

AcAnchoa

Since January I have been slowly upgrading my PC. Right now I'm using:

i7 6700k
Gigabyte Z170-HD3P
16 GB DDR4 RAM
AMD RX 460 2GB
Seasonic S12II 620W

In a month or two I'd like to upgrade the GPU, the current RX 460 being "a cheap patch" I got after the previous GPU died last October. Thing is, I use a 1600x900 monitor and I'm not interested in more resolution (I "downgraded" from a 1080p monitor because it felt too big for my taste) or the best graphics, I'm ok just having consistent 60 fps, so I'm not sure something like a GTX 1070 or greater would be worth the money. Would I be ok with a RX 580 for the incoming years?

hitgirl

Got a question about using headphones on an Xbox One S wirless controller on PC. That's what I use to game and I'm looking for headphones. I was hoping I can just plug it into that controller and I'll have wireless headphones. But my question is: Anyone use this, loss in audio quality? Also how much extra battery drain can I expect from a 40-53mm headset?

Not cheap, but I have a Noctua NH-D15 on that same CPU and was able to hit 4.5 GHz without too much noise.

That said, Scythe FUMA is probably what I'd buy today- similar performance at half the price. Check that one out.

Also on cooling, for the video card the extra $20-40 for a EVGA SC or MSI Gaming X is probably worth it. You can probably find a motherboard option for a bit less if you need to save a bit.

I went with the Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM. Reviews were really good. I also went with MSI Gaming X's 1080 Ti. Thanks for the help.

How about a Samsung 850 Pro? It's a newer faster drive that gives you twice the cpacity at the same price. Honestly, I'm surprised anyone is still selling the 840.

I switched to the 850 Pro. Thank you.

sikkinixx

I'm in the same boat, though a 460gtx. I think I'm gonna go with a 580 as they run a bit cheaper here in Canada. Someone a page or two back posted that a 2500k overcloxked is still somewhat okay.

Since January I have been slowly upgrading my PC. Right now I'm using:

i7 6700k
Gigabyte Z170-HD3P
16 GB DDR4 RAM
AMD RX 460 2GB
Seasonic S12II 620W

In a month or two I'd like to upgrade the GPU, the current RX 460 being "a cheap patch" I got after the previous GPU died last October. Thing is, I use a 1600x900 monitor and I'm not interested in more resolution (I "downgraded" from a 1080p monitor because it felt too big for my taste) or the best graphics, I'm ok just having consistent 60 fps, so I'm not sure something like a GTX 1070 or greater would be worth the money. Would I be ok with a RX 580 for the incoming years?

A 1070 is overkill and anything greater is even more overkill.

But, dude, downgraded from 1080p? You know that physical size doesn't always directly determine resolution right?

Thing is, it's 2017 and monitors are minimum 1080p.

Even if you get a 580 you should be gaming at 1080p and you'll get 60fps fine. I don't know what size your old monitor was but get like a 24"

Probably got answered alot of times but... R5 or 7600k?should I go lower then 7600k? Looking for a gaming pc, 1080p, possibly streaming if not at least recording.

Edit: Starting from scratch except for a noctua nh-d14. Under 2000$ CAD. No timeline. I was gonna aim for a 1070 just to futureproof myself but any suggestions welcome!

KLonso

Hey, I'm looking to build myself a new PC. A friend helped me put together this build:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/wPXgxY

I'm just curious if there are any changes to the build that you guys might suggest.

Budget: Not much over 2000 preferable, Canada
Main Use: Predominantly gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1080p, may upgrade to 1440p some time in the near future
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: In the next couple weeks
Will you be overclocking?: Perhaps

I don't have specific games in mind that I must be able to run well, but ideally I'd be able to play new releases at 1440p, 60 fps

Note: I'm fine with cutting some of the extra storage as I'm aware it might be a little overkill.

Connecting a PC to an OLED TV, how big of a concern is burn in? Static elements like browser menus and what not could be displayed for long periods. I want to replace my aging TV and OLED seems like the way to go today but this issue has me concerned from what I've seen.

i use an lg oled 65e6p and its glorious, have had 0 issues and i play games like battlegrounds for hours at a time

AcAnchoa

A 1070 is overkill and anything greater is even more overkill.

But, dude, downgraded from 1080p? You know that physical size doesn't always directly determine resolution right?

Thing is, it's 2017 and monitors are minimum 1080p.

Even if you get a 580 you should be gaming at 1080p and you'll get 60fps fine. I don't know what size your old monitor was but get like a 24"
I didn't speak about physical size to center in giving an idea of what I look for when I play. Current monitor is 20", last one was 24" and It was too much for me. I know I'm a rara avis here, but It felt uncomfortable.

Thanks you!

LordAlu

Hey, I'm looking to build myself a new PC. A friend helped me put together this build:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/wPXgxY

I'm just curious if there are any changes to the build that you guys might suggest.

Budget: Not much over 2000 preferable, Canada
Main Use: Predominantly gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1080p, may upgrade to 1440p some time in the near future
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: In the next couple weeks
Will you be overclocking?: Perhaps

I don't have specific games in mind that I must be able to run well, but ideally I'd be able to play new releases at 1440p, 60 fps

Note: I'm fine with cutting some of the extra storage as I'm aware it might be a little overkill.
If it's predominantly gaming, I'd probably suggest an i7 myself. If you were also going to be doing lots of streaming or things like video editing, rendering etc then Ryzen all the way, but the i7 is (currently) the better choice for gaming.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/MTXsr7
  • Same memory but RGB and cheaper.
  • Removed one SSD - don't need two SSDs and a HDD unless there's a specific reason (like a scratch disk).
  • Changed the HDD to Blue - the Black is loud but not noticably faster (and expensive).
  • Slightly cheaper 1080.
  • Newer model of power supply but cheaper (you don't need 850W either).
All in all it's $200 less!

Note: If you still want to stick with Ryzen, get the 1600 (non-X), skip the cooler as the stock one is excellent even for an overclock, and get a Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3 board. You'll hit under $2000 too.

LilJoka

None, just turn the tv off if you walk away.
None of my few hour gaming sessions have left image retention let alone burn in.

The LG dims itself if it detects a static image after a few minutes. So leaving a browser open won't lead to burn in.

GRaider81

Have been thinking of upgrading to a i7 7700k for a while now and I have seen a good offer on getting up to £170 cashback when buying an intel and Asus MB together effectively giving me the MB for free or up to £20

Thats before I even think about selling my old parts (4690k).

Really not sure if I should bite or wait to see whats happening new stuff coming out. Offer runs until end of June so have some time.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Reinstalled Fallout 4. Everything is super smooth. Didn't even realize there was cloud saves for it since I deleted the thing from my old PC. Built this new PC and reinstalled steam and my saves are still there.

Problem is the game's colors look so weird and saturated. Can't be the hardware. Everything else is fine.

Stubo

Have been thinking of upgrading to a i7 7700k for a while now and I have seen a good offer on getting up to £170 cashback when buying an intel and Asus MB together effectively giving me the MB for free or up to £20

Thats before I even think about selling my old parts (4690k).

Really not sure if I should bite or wait to see whats happening new stuff coming out. Offer runs until end of June so have some time.
Is this an official promotion or one of those unofficial sites with a load of logos plastered everywhere?

This sounds good but I've always been a bit dubious about the websites!

Has anybody had an issue before when watching some videos but not others (seems to be at random) on web browsers, the gamma / colours suddenly fuck up and the text on screen starts to become hard to read? It reverts a few seconds after closing the video that caused it.

This only started happening after I started using my PC (over HDMI) instead of my monitor (over DP), but at a similar time I started using windows-level colour adjustments for gamma because my previous settings were way too bright/washed out. Can't separate the two variables easily.

F34R

My i7-4770 and EVGA 770 are showing their age these days...
Also need a bigger desk to use two monitors lol. The struggle.

My i7-4770 and EVGA 770 are showing their age these days...
Also need a bigger desk to use two monitors lol. The struggle.

It would be the 770 particularly showing its limits, at least gaming wise. It's roughly in line with a 1050 Ti today, so bumping up to a 1060 or higher - at least on Nvidia's end of things - should be enough.

Can anyone recommend me some high quality LED case fans that I can match up with the other LEDs in my system? I'd be replacing the stock case fans that come in the NZXT H440 so they'd hopefully be on par with those.

None, just turn the tv off if you walk away.
None of my few hour gaming sessions have left image retention let alone burn in.

The LG dims itself if it detects a static image after a few minutes. So leaving a browser open won't lead to burn in.

Ok thanks for the insight. I ordered this TV, now I'm just hoping I don't have any issues with 4K HDR across the 25' HDMI cable I need to use.

kmfdmpig

I'm planning to build a PC in the near future (budget around $1600 or so) for gaming, Office, and light video editing.

I had a few questions that I was hoping you could help with:
1) Is it worth waiting for Vega to be announced
2) Is the upcoming 7740k likely to be a better option than the 7700k? It seems to me that it will be hotter, which will be tough with an air cooler.
3) I'm hoping to stick with an air cooler for long term reliability (the PC I'm replacing will be 8 years old soon and has served me well: i7 860, 8G, 5850 graphics card). I'd like the replacement to also be viable (although obviously not for intensive games) for quite some time.
4) My monitor is only 1080p, and I have no real plans to upgrade it. Would a Nvidia 1080 be overkill if my goal is to use the same card for several years? It seems like it's in the sweet spot of performance/cost and should be viable for quite some time at that resolution.
5) Does this look like a reasonable match:
16 GB 3000 RAM
Nvidia 1080 card
Cheap SSD
2x mechanical drives from a previous system

I'm looking forward to jumping back in with a modern system.

ISee

I'm planning to build a PC in the near future (budget around $1600 or so) for gaming, Office, and light video editing.

I had a few questions that I was hoping you could help with:
1) Is it worth waiting for Vega to be announced
2) Is the upcoming 7740k likely to be a better option than the 7700k? It seems to me that it will be hotter, which will be tough with an air cooler.
3) I'm hoping to stick with an air cooler for long term reliability (the PC I'm replacing will be 8 years old soon and has served me well: i7 860, 8G, 5850 graphics card). I'd like the replacement to also be viable (although obviously not for intensive games) for quite some time.
4) My monitor is only 1080p, and I have no real plans to upgrade it. Would a Nvidia 1080 be overkill if my goal is to use the same card for several years? It seems like it's in the sweet spot of performance/cost and should be viable for quite some time at that resolution.
5) Does this look like a reasonable match:
16 GB 3000 RAM
Nvidia 1080 card
Cheap SSD
2x mechanical drives from a previous system

I'm looking forward to jumping back in with a modern system.

The newest Vega leaks suggest that we'll get a GPU with 8-16GB of HBM2, running between 1200-1600 MHz and 4096 shader cores. Making it a 9.8 tflops - 13.1 tflops GPU. For comparison, a highly overclocked GTX 1080 has 10.4 tflops.
In general AMD GPUs tend to have the higher performance on paper, but for some strange reasons have problems to translate this power into gaming. This may change with Vega, but maybe it won't. There is really no way to give a clear wait or don't wait recommendation.

The iGPU in the 7740k is deactivated. That's the biggest difference between the 7700k and 7740k. For the rest, it seems to be the same CPU down to memory control and PCI-E lanes. If you don't plan to upgrade to a bigger kabylake-x core i9 CPU down the road I wouldn't recommend going for the 7740k.

The 7700k is one of the hotter CPUs out there, especially if overclocked. But you for sure can cool it down without having to use extremely loud fan curves. You'll just need to invest into a capable and a bit larger cooler. Personally, I'm still using my old Scythe Mugen 2 and it still is efficient enough. You can go with any ‘big' cooler out there like the Scythe Fuma, the Noctua NG-D15, the beQuiet! Dark Rock 3 series etc.

In a way, the 1080 is a bit overkill for fullHD/60. But as you already said; if you don't plan to upgrade your Display anytime soon it should be able to hold out for quite some time.

It does look like a reasonable match. The 7700k is the strongest gaming CPU out there and the GTX 1080 is the second strongest GPU on the market right now. For video editing a ryzen 7 would be the better match though, if you don't plan to use CUDA. The same goes for recording/streaming while gaming. The R7 also has the potential to become the better CPU in the future for gaming because of the sheer amount of threads it can handle, but there is no guarantee for that. The 7700k is a very good CPU today, with the superior performance per core/thread and should be able to at least hold out a couple of years. Both are good picks and will give you the 60 fps experience you're looking for. Just take what you feel more comfortable with.

kmfdmpig

snip Lots of helpful information

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it! I've waited 8 years, so I think I'll wait one more month to see whether AMD's new GPUs or Intel's new CPUs either change the landscape or drive down prices for the 7700k or 1080.

I didn't speak about physical size to center in giving an idea of what I look for when I play. Current monitor is 20", last one was 24" and It was too much for me. I know I'm a rara avis here, but It felt uncomfortable.

Thanks you!

Ah well I guess it just underscores how different preferences can be. I have a 34" ultra wide and sometimes I'm like "wish it was a little wider."

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm trying to help my brother out, but I realized the best and fastest way to get an answer would be to come here.

Best GPU he can get for $300 or less?

Top Bottom