• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

ss_lemonade

As budget goes, I'd like to see what's recommended first before deciding. I have a 4K OLED, but I'm assuming we aren't close yet to 4K with a stable 60 fps. But correct me if I'm wrong.
Looking at reviews, the 1080ti seems to do very well at 4k, hitting 60fps in a lot of games, some even at max settings.

Mikeybycrikey

Neo Member
Got a problem with my DisplayPort cable/port. I started up my computer when I got back from work and the monitor (AsusVG248 that is using displayport cable) has a No Signal display. I tried to troubleshoot it but nothing work. So I tried using hdmi cable on it and it worked. Does this mean my cable is busted or it might be something else?

Tried using the cable back to front? I have no idea why but one of mine did that recently, reversed its orientation and it worked.

Bloodember

Got a problem with my DisplayPort cable/port. I started up my computer when I got back from work and the monitor (AsusVG248 that is using displayport cable) has a No Signal display. I tried to troubleshoot it but nothing work. So I tried using hdmi cable on it and it worked. Does this mean my cable is busted or it might be something else?
Might be the cable, it is the cheapest to see.

Bloodember

Hi all -- it's time to make decisions on what to buy. This will be my first PC for gaming since the late 90s. I've never built before, so I want to have fun -- that means lots of RGB! And those cool looking cable sleeves.

There are tons of games I want to be able to run well. Some samples from my wishlist: PUBG, CS:GO, Elite Dangerous, Rust, Garry's Mod, Paladins, Stardew Valley, Souls. I'll probably end up double dipping on BF1 and Overwatch, and maybe Destiny 2. Coming from console, I want to be able to run everything at high (ultra?) settings and high solid frame rates with no screwing around.

Your Current Specs: Nothing.
Budget: I'd like to keep it under $3k (excluding monitor). USA.
Main Use: Gaming only.
Monitor Resolution: No monitor bought yet -- I'm looking into a 100+ Hz ultrawide but haven't decided on 1080p or 1440p. When 4k/UDH monitors are cheap/good enough, I plan to upgrade to one of those. Probably in a couple years?
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Some listed above.
Is 30FPS acceptable? No!
60? Yes! 144? YES!
How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA / GSYNC / FREESYNC to you? I definitely want GSync. I've seen in a couple places now that Freeesync is not as good, but if that's bogus, I'd go for it over GSync for the right monitor.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope.
When will you build? Soon!
Do you have a deadline? Nope.
How long can you wait? Forever, but I'm pretty excited to get going and don't want to keep putting it off for the next big hardware thing coming out.
Will you be overclocking? Maybe, so I guess yes?? I do like to tinker.

I went back and forth between Intel and Ryzen about 500 times. I'd like the cheaper Ryzen that's shaking up everything and may have a better upgrade path, but Intel still seems to be the best overall for gaming performance. Also, I've read that Ryzen builds can be a bit unstable?!

Power usage and quiet are also very important, although I know there isn't necessarily much that can be done about that. But if my build can be tweaked for it, that would be awesome.

Here's what I've got so far. Is it overkill? I want to "future proof" for the next 5-6 years without throwing away money or going overboard.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - MAXIMUS IX FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($364.89 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($154.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($150.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card ($719.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1959.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-07 19:10 EDT-0400

Still have to find a keyboard, mouse, and I also kind of want one of these Hue+ things: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018YZ0H1O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Looks good. You can get windows from play-asia.com for $20.

As for free sync and gsync, both are good and work. But they only work on certain cards. Freesync is for AMD gpu's and gsync is for Nvidia gpu's.

SOLDIER

A 1080 Ti for 1080p? A waste of money, plain and simple. Sure, you can pay $700 and get guaranteed 1080/60 with it, but why would you if you can get the same results with cheaper GPUs?

If you are going for 4K, then I already mentioned that the 1080 Ti is a good choice in one of my previous posts?

Sounds to me like you already made up your mind on getting a 1080 Ti, so go for it?

I'm just looking ahead: I have a 4K TV, I'm going to eventually want 4K output from my PC, once it's viable. If paying more for the GPU means I'll be good for another five years or so, it's worth the investment (but probably not at $700....I'm willing to put off PC upgrading for a little longer if it'll decrease over time).

Looking at reviews, the 1080ti seems to do very well at 4k, hitting 60fps in a lot of games, some even at max settings.

Even with my current CPU and RAM?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Hope someone here can help, my pc cant run Battlegrounds on more than 20fps and without freezing

And I have no idea what to upgrade to make a difference, here are specs, if anyone has any ideas that would be grand

especially if its one component, one issue appears to be my disk spiking to 99% and the biggest offender being service host@local system (network restricted)

2Pg0ncm.png

I literally just formatted my pc too

AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
8.0 GB ram

Also should say other issues im getting, videos, streaming is desync the voice and footage, not something ive had an issue with til recently, computer is also hella slow (Hence the format)

Hope someone here can help, my pc cant run Battlegrounds on more than 20fps and without freezing

And I have no idea what to upgrade to make a difference, here are specs, if anyone has any ideas that would be grand

especially if its one component, one issue appears to be my disk spiking to 99% and the biggest offender being service host@local system (network restricted)

2Pg0ncm.png

I literally just formatted my pc too

AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
8.0 GB ram

Also should say other issues im getting, videos, streaming is desync the voice and footage, not something ive had an issue with til recently, computer is also hella slow (Hence the format)

GPU first, SSD next if that doesn't work with battlegrounds, then you should be fine. your CPU & RAM should be fine for the vast majority of modern games.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
GPU first, SSD next if that doesn't work with battlegrounds, then you should be fine. your CPU & RAM should be fine for the vast majority of modern games.

Any suggestions on the GPU? Say in a £100 price range? (around $150)

Mr Cola

Awsome, they are similarly priced on Amazon so i guess ill go for the RX 570? Seems to be the better of the two, ill pick up an SSD while I am there.

rob_lh

Neo Member
Awsome, they are similarly priced on Amazon so i guess ill go for the RX 570? Seems to be the better of the two, ill pick up an SSD while I am there.

Yep, if you can swing a 570 (and if they're available) go for that. It's a higher performing part, albeit at a higher cost, but the performance boost justifies it. I'm surprised it's available though, the Ethereum miners have been buying up every AMD GPU they can get their hands on.

Mr Cola

Yep, if you can swing a 570 (and if they're available) go for that. It's a higher performing part, albeit at a higher cost, but the performance boost justifies it. I'm surprised it's available though, the Ethereum miners have been buying up every AMD GPU they can get their hands on.

Yeah amazon seems to be getting them in stock around the 20th june, I can wait for that I think.

Natiko

Banned
Couple of questions. How 'future proof' are the example builds listed in the OP? Specifically say the first one on the bottom three. Also, is there anything significant on the horizon that's worth waiting for (either due to the product itself being worth it or due to the likely price lowering of existing products)?

I've never built a PC, but as I was mulling spending $2,000 on an ultrabook I realized I'd likely be happier building a desktop and just buying one of the new iPads to pair with it.
Anyone? Not trying to be a bother, I won't bump my questions again so as to not be a nuisance.

sikkinixx

Any recommendations on a USB switch kind of thing?

I want to use the same keyboard and mouse with my Mac Mini and gaming PC. I won't use both at the same time so just something that saves me form having to unplug/re-plug over and over.

Ric Flair

Banned
Anyone? Not trying to be a bother, I won't bump my questions again so as to not be a nuisance.
If you want future proof, spend more on the motherboard and cpu. Everything else can be upgraded over the next ten years and you'll probably be fine even then. Consoles won't be making generational leaps like they used to as it's too much of a money risk.

rob_lh

Neo Member

So, "future proofing" a CPU is really about what types of games you believe and what assumptions you want to make about how games will be built. The ones built on the 7700K will likely be good for 3-4 years, maybe longer. The biggest uncertainty is if developers can leverage more cores and threads than the standard 2-4 cores that have been available. This year, games like Watch Dogs 2 started really taking advantage of more cores and threads. In the future, if more games do that, you may see a bigger FPS gain by purchasing a new CPU.

That said, if you just want to play at 60 fps, the 7700K is going to be awesome for many years. Same goes for eSports-type games (Overwatch, LoL, CS:GO) at 144 fps. If you want to hit 120-144 fps on AAA games, some upgrading may be required in the future, again assuming they actually have the cores/threads to do it. However, I don't think anything will come out that will eclipse the 7700K until this time next year, and even then the 7700K will be an awesome part.

The 1700 is a fine enough part that may benefit from games that can use more cores/threads in the future, but for right now it performs behind the 7700K. FWIW I built on the 7700K and don't expect to upgrade for a long time.

Natiko

Banned
Thanks for the info you two! So basically if I go with the enthusiast build I can expect to get good mileage out of the PC with only some select upgrades required over the next few years. That doesn't sound bad. I know with PCs it's a continual release cycle, but for any of the more expensive parts are we close to any new releases that could push the price down on these parts? Not a deal breaker either way, more curious if it would benefit me to be patient.

Paprikka

So I've finally saved up enough to build a new computer, but seeing as it's only my second build I wanted to come here first just to make sure everything looks good and will mesh together well.

Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($186.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($247.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.44 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($779.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $2119.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-07 23:53 EDT-0400

I already have a good monitor and such and I'll probably be picking up the Windows 10 on play-asia mentioned a bit back. Thanks!

rob_lh

Neo Member
Thanks for the info you two! So basically if I go with the enthusiast build I can expect to get good mileage out of the PC with only some select upgrades required over the next few years. That doesn't sound bad. I know with PCs it's a continual release cycle, but for any of the more expensive parts are we close to any new releases that could push the price down on these parts? Not a deal breaker either way, more curious if it would benefit me to be patient.

On the CPU side, no, the big releases for gaming-centric desktops are out now. All the stuff coming out later this year can game well, but it's designed for even more intensive tasks and starts at $500 more than the Core i7-7700K.

On the GPU side, AMD has some stuff rumored to drop in July. Right now, their GPUs are going for $100s more than their retail price, as they are very good at mining cryptocurrencies which have appreciated in value. As a result, they are very hard to find, and there is more speculation that the miners may buy up the supply of the new GPUs too. Time will tell, but by July most of the desktop releases for the year should be available.

rob_lh

Neo Member
So I've finally saved up enough to build a new computer, but seeing as it's only my second build I wanted to come here first just to make sure everything looks good and will mesh together well.

Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($186.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.44 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card ($779.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.49 @ SuperBiiz)

I already have a good monitor and such and I'll probably be picking up the Windows 10 on play-asia mentioned a bit back. Thanks!

What resolution is your monitor? At 1080p especially and for many games at 1440p, the GTX 1080 Ti will be massive overkill. It's really designed for 4K@60. If you're not playing at 4K, I'd drop to a 1080 and spend the cash elsewhere.

Branson

What resolution is your monitor? At 1080p especially and for many games at 1440p, the GTX 1080 Ti will be massive overkill. It's really designed for 4K@60. If you're not playing at 4K, I'd drop to a 1080 and spend the cash elsewhere.
Ive seen the 1080ti drop below 60 on maxed games at 1080p. Overkill is good sometimes.

ISee

A 1080Ti isn't specifically designed for 4k/60.
Maybe he wants to play at 144HZ, or he wants a GPU that is capable of delivering ultra settings as long as possible at 1080p. He is also clearly going for the best of the best in his build and budget doesn't seem to be a limiting factor for him. Going for the very best might seem unreasonable to you, but some people have the urge to do so.

Nothing wrong with it, just two tiny additions.

- 860W PSU is overkill, if you want to you can go down to 550w-600w.
- Is there a specific reason why you are going for a micro ATX board on a full atx tower build? If you need build in WiFi and Blue-Tooth you could go for the Z270E. It has more PCI-E slots, would look better in a full atx case (imo) and has the ROG Aura feature (lighting controls), something you might be interested in as you're also going for an asus 1080ti strix and a case with a transparent side panel.

rob_lh

Neo Member
A 1080Ti isn't specifically designed for 4k/60.
Maybe he wants to play at 144HZ, or he wants a GPU that is capable of delivering ultra settings as long as possible at 1080p. He is also clearly going for the best of the best in his build and budget doesn't seem to be a limiting factor for him. Going for the very best might seem unreasonable to you, but some people have the urge to do so.

Whoa, easy there. The GTX 1080 Ti is the first single card to routinely deliver 60 fps at 4K, which was clearly a goal for NVIDIA. Yeah it runs other resolutions, that's not remarkable though. If they just wants the best bar none, they're entitled to it, but I'm trying to give them options to consider. I routinely hit 144 on a GTX 1080 at 1440p, so if they're not at 4K, his cash could be better spent elsewhere. They can be the ultimate judge.

Paprikka

I do have a 4k monitor, although my current build is too weak to take advantage of it.

Nothing wrong with it, just two tiny additions.

- 860W PSU is overkill, if you want to you can go down to 550w-600w.
- Is there a specific reason why you are going for a micro ATX board on a full atx tower build? If you need build in WiFi and Blue-Tooth you could go for the Z270E. It has more PCI-E slots, would look better in a full atx case (imo) and has the ROG Aura feature (lighting controls), something you might be interested in as you're going for an asus 1080ti strix and a case with a transparent side panel.

Nah, there wasn't any specific reason, something like that is exactly thought I should ask first, as I was mostly just going off recommendations in the OP. So I'll definitely look into switching those.

Thank you both for the help!

ISee

Whoa, easy there. The GTX 1080 Ti is the first single card to routinely deliver 60 fps at 4K, which was clearly a goal for NVIDIA. Yeah it runs other resolutions, that's not remarkable though. If they just wants the best bar none, they're entitled to it, but I'm trying to give them options to consider. I routinely hit 144 on a GTX 1080 at 1440p, so if they're not at 4K, his cash could be better spent elsewhere. They can be the ultimate judge.

With your phrasing you made it sound like the 1080Ti is the wrong choice for 1080p and that's not true. Give options, explain pros/contras and don't judge a build just because it looks unreasonable or to expansive to you.

I'm also not able to hit 144hz on my overclocked GTX 1080 at 1440p routinely, especially not on modern games and at high settings. But yes of course there are some exceptions, it's just far away from being a routine.

Fallen92

So I just bought and installed some new parts onto my old HP Pavilion PC which was a new motherboard, Intel processor, and 8GB of DDR4 RAM. Now I installed everything correctly but I think my PSU died since the computer doesn't turn on, the PSU light turned off when I pushed the power button and I can't get the PSU fan to spin when testing the pins with a wire. What I wanna make sure is that the motherboard wasn't damaged, is there anyway to tell? If the PSU just died, it was old, then fine I'll get a new one I'm just worried the it took the mobo with it. Is there anyway to tell?

Renekton

I routinely hit 144 on a GTX 1080 at 1440p, so if they're not at 4K, his cash could be better spent elsewhere. They can be the ultimate judge.
Just go check the 4K VHQ/Ultra benchmarks for 1080Ti on recent titles like Division, WD2, Dishonored 2, Wildlands, Mankind Divided, Hitman, Mass Effect. Your GTX1080 isn't going 1440p/144 them either.

rob_lh

Neo Member
Just go check the 4K VHQ/Ultra benchmarks for 1080Ti on recent titles like Division, WD2, Dishonored 2, Wildlands, Mankind Divided, Hitman, Mass Effect. Your GTX1080 isn't going 1440p/144 them either.

Routinely != always. If you're just looking at the most demanding games, duh, it's not going to hit 144. In BF1, it's up there. Furthermore with G-Sync, framerate drops are totally unnoticeable that high.

i often hit 1440p/144 on my 1080 too. do you think our cards are "massive overkill" for our monitors? i don't! it's good to have headroom, and it's why i bought a 1440p g-sync monitor in the first place.

buying the first card capable of hitting a certain spec at a certain point in time for that "specific" reason only ensures that it won't be able to do the thing you bought it for for very long.

rob_lh

Neo Member
With your phrasing you made it sound like the 1080Ti is the wrong choice for 1080p and that's not true. Give options, explain pros/contras and don't judge a build just because it looks unreasonable or to expansive to you.

I'm also not able to hit 144hz on my overclocked GTX 1080 at 1440p routinely, especially not on modern games and at high settings. But yes of course there are some exceptions, it's just far away from being a routine.

You're reading some version of this that I didn't write.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
i often hit 1440p/144 on my 1080 too. do you think our cards are "massive overkill" for our monitors? i don't! it's good to have headroom, and it's why i bought a 1440p g-sync monitor in the first place.

buying the first card capable of hitting a certain spec at a certain point in time for that "specific" reason only ensures that it won't be able to do the thing you bought it for for very long.

Just out of curiosity, at what threshold does even a high end CPU bottleneck a 1080ti at high frame rates?

I'd think that at some point, you'd run smack into a wall of diminishing returns on pushing that frame rate at 1080p with GPU brute force for example.

Just out of curiosity, at what threshold does the even a high end CPU bottleneck a 1080ti at high frame rates?

I'd think that at some point, you'd run smack into a wall of diminishing returns on pushing that frame rate at 1080p with GPU brute force for example.

not totally sure i understand your question, but i can't think of a gaming situation in which a current high-end CPU could bottleneck a 1080ti. at 1080p, your monitor's refresh rate is going to be the limiting factor — a 1080ti would do pretty well at 200hz.

do you mean is there a theoretical point at which the CPU just wouldn't be able to process the existence of so many frames? i think much like with high polling rates on mice, we're already at the point of diminishing returns where dragging down the CPU would involve going beyond the limits of human perception. GPUs alone get us there today, really — my monitor can be "overclocked" to 165hz but i leave it on 144 because i'm not a pro esports player and i can't tell the difference.

Can't decide between two monitors.

Samsung G270 (27" 1080p, 144Hz, VA)
AOC AG241QX (24", 1440p, 144Hz, TN)

Samsung
+ Larger screen
+ VA panel
+ Classier look
+ Curved
+ 90 degree rotation

AOC
+ Larger resolution
+ Cheaper by ~35USD

Samsung has more pluses, but I just can't ignore 1440p, which would make non-gaming stuff more pleasant. The extra pixels would be useful so that I can view more stuff while programming. I'm aiming for 144Hz gaming at least, and I don't mind turning some settings down. I have an RX480, though there's an extremely minuscule chance I could get lucky and end up with a 1080. However, just assume that I will have an RX480. 27" might be too large for 1080p, but 24" might be too small for 1440p.

I currently have two 24" screens: one is TN + FreeSync, one is plain IPS (both 1080p @60Hz). I ended up liking the IPS more because I don't really feel the benefit of FreeSync.

Hey GAF,

I updated my system. I used my PC on a TV all the time, now I have bought an freesync monitor. Quick specs:

CPU: Intel - Core i5 6600K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170 G1 Gaming 3
Memory: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666Mhz 2x8GB
Video Card: Asus Strix RX 580 OC 8GB

I went from nVidia to AMD because the freesync technology. I bought this LG monitor http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-24MP59G-P-gaming-monitor It is a very good monitor with an IPS display and sRGB over 99%. I'm new to the freesync stuff, what is the best way to test it? I tried Witcher 3 and the games feels smooth with and without freesync :) Any advices for me, how to setup the monitor or GPU?

Thanks

Pooya

Can't decide between two monitors.

The samung is the best 1080p display on the market imo, I have 24" version of it, it's beautiful. It has some overdrive issues at 144Hz, at 120Hz though it's fine.

While resolution matters it's hardly the most important factor in picture quality. CFG70 blows away any TN panel, it's not even close, it's almost CRT like at times. Deep contrast, great color (factory calibrated! it comes with a report), very good motion handling for VA. It's very good.

If you want 144Hz, 1440p and not TN, it cost a lot more. I personally can't stand TN anymore, I think it's a waste of money, more pixels or not. If you want a display for your work, just buy an inexpensive IPS 60-75Hz QHD one.

If you want a display for your work, just buy an inexpensive IPS 60-75Hz QHD one.

Thanks, you bring up a good point. For the price of what I'd pay extra for 1440p 144Hz non-TN, I could probably get something quite a bit nicer and I get to have dual monitors.

I've seen GTAV drop below 60 in grassy areas on ultra.

You also need to mention this:
The benchmark I watched had GTAV maxed but they had 8x MSAA which is a bit of a frame killer and not really worth it but the game was hitting 45-60 in the grassy areas just outside the city which surprised me. It could be a setting that wasn't worth it or not noticeable making it do that.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to grab the 1080ti, but that performance is not indicative of the game at 1080p. You're better off downsampling from 4K. That's how pointless\expensive 8xMSAA is.

It also doesn't hurt to have something that will scale with games in the future. There's always DSR for the time being as well. You can still play at 4K even with a 1080p monitor if the game isn't too demanding. I do the same on my 3440x1440 monitor if I'm hitting 60 with plenty of power to spare.

Okay, I need a new GPU, so two questions:

• What's the best RX580 out there right now?
  • Which 1070 is the best value for money/cheapest?
Any recommendations?

ISee

Übermatik;239612909 said:
Okay, I need a new GPU, so two questions:

• What's the best RX580 out there right now?
  • Which 1070 is the best value for money/cheapest?
Any recommendations?
´
The usual culprits for the 580: like the Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8G, the XFX crimson, the msi gaming X plus, the Gigabyte Arous XTR etc. just get whatever is the cheaper one.

For cheap 1070/1080 cards you can go to KFA2.
You can get the KFA2 1070 Exo for 396€ and the KFA2 1080 Exo for 496€. That's an amazing price for a 1080 because most 1070 sell for 460€+. I was able to play around with the KFA2 1080 for 2 weeks and it is louder, a bit hotter and I was only able to hit 1980 MHz on it (75°C) but it is also just 40€ more expansive than a high end 1070 from Asus, Gigabyte or MSI and still ~30% faster.

Another good option for "cheap" 1070/1080s is Gigabytes G1 series (with just one 8pin power connector). You can find the 1070 for just over 410€ and the 1080 for around 515€. They are quiet, have very good cooling but run into power limitations when overclocking. Still 1950-2030 MHz are possible on them.

Question regarding gpus

The Gtx 1060 3gb is roughly the same price as the rx 570, the Gtx 1060 6gb however is about £40-£50 more expensive, which is a bit too much.

Is the 3gb 1060 better than the rx570?

The 1060 3GB is a cut down 1060. It's not only missing half the vram but also some shaders and bandwidth, making it less capable as the 1060. Of course the 570 is also a cut down 580, but the naming isn't as confusing imo.
Performance wise the 570 and the 1060 3G are taking blow at each other, but often enough the 1060 is the slightly faster card (with some exceptions, as always). The 570 on the other side has the vram advantage. 3 GB are still kind of okay but more is always better, being able to take advantage of higher quality textures is always nice.

edit:
Even the slower 1050Ti has 4GB of Vram, no idea what nvidia is thinking. They probably use the same decision making department as Intel with their Kabylake-X series.

Mr Cola

Question regarding gpus

The Gtx 1060 3gb is roughly the same price as the rx 570, the Gtx 1060 6gb however is about £40-£50 more expensive, which is a bit too much.

Condom

Question regarding gpus

I'd go with at least 4gb vram for future proofing, so 570.
I had an 660 SLI setup where I had plenty of performance but no VRAM (2gb) and that sucked big time when new games got released.

All depends on what you like in games though, I'm a sucker for textures haha

Question regarding gpus

I was having the same issue in decision making. And barring no sudden releases or fluctuations I decided 570 for the VRAM

I'm keeping an eye out on Amazon Warehouse though for a discounted 1060 6GB

Top Bottom