• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I'd go with at least 4gb vram for future proofing, so 570.
I had an 660 SLI setup where I had plenty of performance but no VRAM (2gb) and that sucked big time when new games got released.

All depends on what you like in games though, I'm a sucker for textures haha

I was having the same issue in decision making. And barring no sudden releases or fluctuations I decided 570 for the VRAM

I'm keeping an eye out on Amazon Warehouse though for a discounted 1060 6GB

Awesome thanks, basically just looking for a card that will run games, I dont care about textures, I play everything on very low and when my current rig struggles with that, time to upgrade so future proofing is a nice thing.

Now to wait for the 570 to come back in stock :D

´
The usual culprits for the 580: like the Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8G, the XFX crimson, the msi gaming X plus, the Gigabyte Arous XTR etc. just get whatever is the cheaper one.

For cheap 1070/1080 cards you can go to KFA2.
You can get the KFA2 1070 Exo for 396€ and the KFA2 1080 Exo for 496€. That's an amazing price for a 1080 because most 1070 sell for 460€+. I was able to play around with the KFA2 1080 for 2 weeks and it is louder, a bit hotter and I was only able to hit 1980 MHz on it (75°C) but it is also just 40€ more expansive than a high end 1070 from Asus, Gigabyte or MSI and still ~30% faster.

Another good option for "cheap" 1070/1080s is Gigabytes G1 series (with just one 8pin power connector). You can find the 1070 for just over 410€ and the 1080 for around 515€. They are quiet, have very good cooling but run into power limitations when overclocking. Still 1950-2030 MHz are possible on them.

I'll look into these, thanks. One thing I will say is I got my current (soon to be last) GPU on the cheap (ASUS RX 480 8GB for £190) which was an amazing deal... but it's dying after only a month of use, so I don't mind spending a bit more than the 'cheapest' to get reliability.

dcx4610

Got a problem with my DisplayPort cable/port. I started up my computer when I got back from work and the monitor (AsusVG248 that is using displayport cable) has a No Signal display. I tried to troubleshoot it but nothing work. So I tried using hdmi cable on it and it worked. Does this mean my cable is busted or it might be something else?

Had the same problem with the same monitor from time to time. No luck with a new cable. The fix if I remember correctly was to pull the power cable on the monitor but sometimes I had to reboot. Apparently it's a hardware issue. I have a newer 1440p monitor now and no problems. Using DVI will prevent the issue as well.

xinek

Alright, I updated my build a bit to save money -- cheaper mobo and cooler. I also upgraded the power supply for future overclocking headroom. The faster ram was also cheaper??

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.00 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($150.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card ($669.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: NZXT - Aer RGB120 61.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: NZXT - Aer RGB140 71.6 CFM 140mm Fan ($34.99 @ B&H)
Mouse: Logitech - MX Master Bluetooth Wireless Laser Mouse ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Other: NZXT HUE+ RGB Color Changing LED Controller - White + Purple( ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1933.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-08 13:19 EDT-0400

Thoughts? I may get this stuff this week -- lots of sales going on right now, oddly.

dcx4610

Can't decide between two monitors.

Samsung G270 (27" 1080p, 144Hz, VA)
AOC AG241QX (24", 1440p, 144Hz, TN)

Samsung
+ Larger screen
+ VA panel
+ Classier look
+ Curved
+ 90 degree rotation

AOC
+ Larger resolution
+ Cheaper by ~35USD

Samsung has more pluses, but I just can't ignore 1440p, which would make non-gaming stuff more pleasant. The extra pixels would be useful so that I can view more stuff while programming. I'm aiming for 144Hz gaming at least, and I don't mind turning some settings down. I have an RX480, though there's an extremely minuscule chance I could get lucky and end up with a 1080. However, just assume that I will have an RX480. 27" might be too large for 1080p, but 24" might be too small for 1440p.

I currently have two 24" screens: one is TN + FreeSync, one is plain IPS (both 1080p @60Hz). I ended up liking the IPS more because I don't really feel the benefit of FreeSync.

I bought that Samsung and returned it. The VA panel looked great but the curved screen drove me crazy. The stand also for as good as it looks, sticks out way far in the back so you need a lot of room behind the monitor. It's a respectable 1080p monitor but at 27", unless you are sitting dead center and never move, the curve is distracting. I think you'd need at least 34+ for it to be viable but I still wouldn't do it.

As for the AOC, there are better 1440p monitors out there. Make sure your rig can handle 1440p though because 1080p doesn't look good on native 1440.

Alright, I updated my build a bit to save money -- cheaper mobo and cooler. I also upgraded the power supply for future overclocking headroom. The faster ram was also cheaper??

Thoughts? I may get this stuff this week -- lots of sales going on right now, oddly.

Only a few thoughts.

1. Don't get the FE 1080TI. The better coolers on the 3rd party versions will run so much quieter and cooler than the FE that it's worth a few extra bucks.
2. Maybe get Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut instead of Arctic Silver? I believe that's the best non liquid metal paste available.... though the difference might be minor at best.

xinek

Only a few thoughts.

1. Don't get the FE 1080TI. The better coolers on the 3rd party versions will run so much quieter and cooler than the FE that it's worth a few extra bucks.
2. Maybe get Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut instead of Arctic Silver? I believe that's the best non liquid metal paste available.... though the difference might be minor at best.

Hm, I searched around and yeah, people are commenting about the FE cards being loud. What do you think about this one? It's MSI:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2P...g-atx-lga1151-motherboard-strix-z270-e-gaming

I also looked at the Asus STRIX briefly, but it's significantly more expensive.

xinek

You linked to a motherboard.

Whoops. Try this one

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YN...x-video-card-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-gaming-x-11g

Here's that expensive Strix:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Z8...i-11gb-video-card-strix-gtx1080ti-o11g-gaming

Edit: I'm also considering a 1080. I originally though I'd get the 1080 ti because I expect to get a 4K/HDR monitor when they're affordable, but that will likely be a couple years out. Would it be better to just wait for newer video cards then? It would save a bundle of cash now.

I'm also thinking of building a new PC from the ground up.

I'm from the UK, and have a budget of about £900.

Here's what I've got so far:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£190.83 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£77.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£118.82 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: *OCZ - TRION 150 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£114.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£72.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GT OC Video Card (£183.47 @ BT Shop)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£53.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.96 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £898.00
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-08 19:57 BST+0100

Any suggestions?

rob_lh

Neo Member
I'm also thinking of building a new PC from the ground up.

I'm from the UK, and have a budget of about £900.

Here's what I've got so far:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£190.83 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£77.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£118.82 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: *OCZ - TRION 150 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£114.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Toshiba - 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£72.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GT OC Video Card (£183.47 @ BT Shop)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£53.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.96 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £898.00
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-08 19:57 BST+0100

Any suggestions?

Looks solid to me. Great choices all around. If you've got the money, I'd consider the 1060 6 GB over the 3 GB one, as in the US it's only ~$30 difference and gives you some future proofing.

spootime

Yo guys. I'm waiting for coffee lake to build my new system. Is AMD going to have anything new out by that time besides threadripper? (not interested in super high core counts). ALso when is the next gen of nvidias coming out?

Yo guys. I'm waiting for coffee lake to build my new system. Is AMD going to have anything new out by that time besides threadripper? (not interested in super high core counts). ALso when is the next gen of nvidias coming out?

I would be surprised if AMD releases a new generation of CPUs in the next 12 months. That said, I have no idea when Intel is planning on releasing Coffee Lake, could be late 2018 for all I know.

Nvidia is also a wild card, but "sometime in the next 12 months" would be a fair guess. :v Certainly, I would be surprised if Volta-based graphics cards are announced before October.

I would be surprised if AMD releases a new generation of CPUs in the next 12 months. That said, I have no idea when Intel is planning on releasing Coffee Lake, could be late 2018 for all I know.

Nvidia is also a wild card, but "sometime in the next 12 months" would be a fair guess. :v Certainly, I would be surprised if Volta-based graphics cards are announced before October.

Coffee Lake has been confirmed this year and many speculate an August launch.

Geneijin

My current PC overclocked to 4.1 GHz is starting to show its age:

The only thing I've changed since then was both the GPU to an RX 470 4GB and a 144 Hz monitor (Samsung CFG70) a few months ago.

Budget: $600-700 US
Main Use: Gaming 4, Emulation 4, Streaming games in HD 5
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Overwatch 144 FPS, OBS Studio 720p/60 or 1080p/30-60
Looking to reuse any parts?: Soundcard probably.
When will you build?: End of summer or around Black Friday
Will you be overclocking?: Yes.

Big Chungus

Need help with a monitor, right side started going red/green with a checkerboard pattern:

bTBRDyP.jpg

FNjxv52.jpg

Anyone know what could be going on here?

It was green on the right at first...but when we left the browser on and came back 20 minutes later it shows a burn in effect..

Is the monitor dying or is there a fix?

RS4-

Need help with a monitor, right side started going red/green with a checkerboard pattern:

Anyone know what could be going on here?

It was green on the right at first...but when we left the browser on and came back 20 minutes later it shows a burn in effect..

Is the monitor dying or is there a fix?

Can you use a different source, like hook up a console to the monitor? If not, do you have integrated graphics on your mobo? Check that too. If the monitor shows up fine, its your GPU.

Try the hdmi/dvi on the gpu and monitor.

I'm going to be getting a 1080p144 Freesync or Gsync monitor(depending on the video card I upgrade to) within the next couple months. Are there any compatibility issues when mix and matching 1080p60 monitors with a 1080p144 monitor?

Googling it shows people experiencing significant slowdown when watching a youtube video/twitch stream on their 60hz monitor while gaming on the 144hz monitor. Is this still an issue? Are there any workarounds? Personal anecdotes?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Looking to do a mid-range build for my brother - what ryzen cpu is closest to an i5 in terms of performance? And do all ryzen motherboards overclock? I know the CPUs do, if I remember right.

TokiDoki

Looking to do a mid-range build for my brother - what ryzen cpu is closest to an i5 in terms of performance? And do all ryzen motherboards overclock? I know the CPUs do, if I remember right.

If you got the budget , go for Ryzen 1600 . Overclock it to 1600x speed and you will get close to i5 performance with extra cores/threads to boot . A320 board doesn't oc IIRC , best to just go for b350 board , they are priced reasonably as well unlike Intel Z series board .

Yeah pretty much..

Running those games at 3440x1440 (21:9) with a GTX 1080 and i'm having some dips here and there.. Might have to do with my ancient i5 3570k too thou...

Probably not that significant at that resolution. Most benchmarks I've seen have 1080 dipping below 60 in a number of games even with a 7700k. Of course this means you can probably get it up by turning down a few settings.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Got my fans. Now I need to wait for my splitter. Too lazy to check if my motherboard came with one.

Have to figure out how to add the exhaust fan.

jehuty

Can one of you guys PM with some suggestions about a new PC circa a ~$300.00 price range. I realistically want to use it for mainly watching high def movies (1080p+) and some pc gaming. I'd like to be able to run games like Civ 6 in medium to semi-high settings with no hiccups (max players and all). I currently have an old dell that has 4gb of memory, and an intel cpu, and no graphic card. Weirdly enough, I'm able to run Stalker mods at about medium settings at about 25fps. Any help would be appreciated (should I/Could I upgrade my current pc?)

rob_lh

Neo Member
Can one of you guys PM with some suggestions about a new PC circa a ~$300.00 price range. I realistically want to use it for mainly watching high def movies (1080p+) and some pc gaming. I'd like to be able to run games like Civ 6 in medium to semi-high settings with no hiccups (max players and all). I currently have an old dell that has 4gb of memory, and an intel cpu, and no graphic card. Weirdly enough, I'm able to run Stalker mods at about medium settings at about 25fps. Any help would be appreciated (should I/Could I upgrade my current pc?)

Depending which CPU you have and how much space your current system has, adding a GPU would likely be much better and $300 buys a great GPU. Do you know which Intel CPU you are using today?

If you really want a new system and wanted to buy new, I would recommend the Pentium G4560 ($80), a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti ($120), a B250 motherboard ($87), and 4 GB of DDR4 ($27). That's $315. You'd have to harvest a few of your current parts - Windows, the chassis, storage, and power supply primarily. If it has to be under $300, you could drop the GTX 1050 Ti to the GTX 1050. That's $20 saved, but IMO the $20 is a worthwhile investment. That'll get you up above 30 fps more consistently, and with the 1050 Ti, you can hit 60 in some games at Medium settings.

nullref

The 200mm fan is going to be trickier. The Phanteks is really loud, as it doesn't allow you to go below 600RPM, which is too much for such a big fan.

I have the same case with the same stock fans. Can't say I've found the 200mm intake to be very loud at all, but my motherboard is running it at ~300 RPM at lower temps.

Still, I couldn't resist ordering the Noctua 200mm now that it's out, to see if it's even better. We'll see. I already have a Noctua heatsink, though, so the ugly color scheme doesn't bother me. Going all brown Noctua fans will be sort of anti-fashion, function-over-form in a way I can get behind. :)

Hylian7

I have a GTX 770, and am considering getting a new card.

However this is my machine.

Core i5 2500k overclocked to 4.3GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM
SSD

Should I even bother upgrading my video card, or just wait until I want to pony up for an entirely new build. I have an old CPU obviously, but it's still pretty decent in today's day and age. Is it actually getting old to the point where it would bottleneck a new GPU?

rob_lh

Neo Member

16GB DDR3 RAM
SSD

Should I even bother upgrading my video card, or just wait until I want to pony up for an entirely new build. I have an old CPU obviously, but it's still pretty decent in today's day and age. Is it actually getting old to the point where it would bottleneck a new GPU?

It's sort of a question of your performance target. If you want to play at 60 fps, you don't need to upgrade the CPU - a GPU upgrade would be perfect for your system. If you want to play at 120 or 144 in AAA games, it's not going to hit those framerates in the newest games. GN did a good report on that exact CPU recently: http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2773-intel-i5-2500k-revisit-benchmark-for-2017/page-3

horkrux

16GB DDR3 RAM
SSD

Depends on how long you would have to go without a full upgrade. I mean that i5 will definitely bottleneck even below 60fps, but just upgrading the GPU would still give you a nice boost.

Hylian7

It's sort of a question of your performance target. If you want to play at 60 fps, you don't need to upgrade the CPU - a GPU upgrade would be perfect for your system. If you want to play at 120 or 144 in AAA games, it's not going to hit those framerates in the newest games. GN did a good report on that exact CPU recently: http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2773-intel-i5-2500k-revisit-benchmark-for-2017/page-3

60 is adequate enough for me. In that case I'll probably just get a new GPU.

Now the question is which one. My friend built a new machine recently, and he had a GTX 970 he is willing to sell to me. It's not the newest thing on the block, but significantly upgraded from the GTX 770. Is it worth that, or just buy a newer one?

Edit: He's offering to sell it to me for $200

Is it just me, or is RAM getting more expensive? It seems like 2x8 GB of DDR4 3200 MHz is pushing $150 now when I swear I saw it around $125-$130 a couple weeks back.

EDIT: Maybe just the specific sticks I was looking at jumped, seems like you can find quite a few around $130 still.

rob_lh

Neo Member
60 is adequate enough for me. In that case I'll probably just get a new GPU.

Now the question is which one. My friend built a new machine recently, and he had a GTX 970 he is willing to sell to me. It's not the newest thing on the block, but significantly upgraded from the GTX 770. Is it worth that, or just buy a newer one?

970 is a good enough card. It won't quite hit 60 fps at 1080p, Ultra settings on the most demanding games (open world stuff like GTA V) but if you can get it for like $160-170 it'll be solid for first-person shooters and action RPGs and open-world stuff at Medium-High settings. Would not recommend for a 1440p build though.

Hylian7

970 is a good enough card. It won't quite hit 60 fps at 1080p, Ultra settings on the most demanding games (open world stuff like GTA V) but if you can get it for like $160-170 it'll be solid for first-person shooters and action RPGs and open-world stuff at Medium-High settings. Would not recommend for a 1440p build though.

That's probably adequate enough for me. He's offering $200 for it now.

My games consist a lot of Dota, PUBG, Arma, Ark, Nier Automata, and a few others. I'm not rushing to buy every AAA game on the block.

There is a really nice offer on the Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP in my country. (Not the extreme edition). How is this card compared to Asus Strix 1080 TI? There doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews of this particular one. I care a lot about noise and might do some overclocking, but no water cooling.

Thanks.

rob_lh

Neo Member
He changed his mind and said $200.

That's closer and it's not a bad price - between the 1060 3 GB and 6 GB sounds right but those prices are also for brand new. At $190 it'd be easier but at $200 I'd say may as well just go for the 1060 6 GB and be set for a few years.

Hylian7

That's closer and it's not a bad price - between the 1060 3 GB and 6 GB sounds right but those prices are also for brand new. At $190 it'd be easier but at $200 I'd say may as well just go for the 1060 6 GB and be set for a few years.

Something else I realized, looking up 1060s: I need two DVI ports and one DisplayPort. A lot of the cards I am seeing only have one DisplayPort...

I could get adapters I suppose though.

RS4-

There is a really nice offer on the Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP in my country. (Not the extreme edition). How is this card compared to Asus Strix 1080 TI? There doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews of this particular one. I care a lot about noise and might do some overclocking, but no water cooling.

Thanks.

Who gives you less of a hassle if you have to RMA the thing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hey guys I just bought pieces to put together a Ryzen system and wanted to sell off my old parts.

Anyway I have an i7 3770 with a Gigabyte Z77 mobo and 16GB corsair RAM. Never overclocked.

Just curious if $200 is a reasonable price to ask for all of these in the Buy/Sell/trade thread?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
He changed his mind and said $200.
No. $200 is too much. You'd be a fool to even consider it.

Get a 1060 6GB instead like others are saying. They can be found for around $200

Getting $200 for a 970 would be outright theft. If he offered $150 I'd still say no.

Something else I realized, looking up 1060s: I need two DVI ports and one DisplayPort. A lot of the cards I am seeing only have one DisplayPort...

I could get adapters I suppose though.

Get the Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce? Not the G1 Gaming, to be specific on model.

Top Bottom