• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Magwik

Banned
The 1060 is a great card. I don't even have the 6GB version and it runs almost everything at a mix of medium/high. Last time I really pushed it was in DOOM, and was hitting the mark just fine using Vulkan.

The 1060 is a great card. I don't even have the 6GB version and it runs almost everything at a mix of medium/high. Last time I really pushed it was in DOOM, and was hitting the mark just fine using Vulkan.

Im torn. One one hand I have it in my head that if I commit to PC gaming I should be aiming to max everything out (at least for 6-12 months). On the other I've been playing on an XB1 for 3 years so even hitting med-high at 60fps will be a significant improvement.

Okay PCGaf, I've been debating it for a few years but I've finally come around to the idea of joining the PC gaming world. I've been debating the last two weeks whether I should buy a pre-built or build one myself, after watching a bunch of youtube videos, besides the cable management I think I'll be fine.

Your Current Specs: No current specs.

Budget: 950

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 3 Mainly for gaming

Monitor Resolution: 1080p/1440p

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 144? Destiny 2, Shadow of War, Far Cry 5, Battlegrounds, Overwatch.

30FPS is fine

How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA / GSYNC / FREESYNC to you?
None at all

Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 750TX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900) No

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? How long can you wait? Deadline is September

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!) Maybe

SOLDIER

I'm thinking I might be due for an upgrade or two. Been having some games chug a little on me lately.

My current specs:

oeiwjS9.jpg

As budget goes, I'd like to see what's recommended first before deciding. I have a 4K OLED, but I'm assuming we aren't close yet to 4K with a stable 60 fps. But correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU. I just want to run newer games @ 1080p - 60fps. I already have a GTX 1070, so I'm good there. My system plays most games great, but it seems like more and more games are CPU intensive. Watch Dogs 2, Hitman, & Battlegrounds are some games that I really want to play but my CPU struggles with them.
I currently have an i5-4670K. My question is should I buy an i7-4790K or i7-7700k?
If I decide on the i7-7700k, I'd also have to get a new motherboard & ram. Would the extra $$ be worth it????

I'm looking to upgrade my CPU. I just want to run newer games @ 1080p - 60fps. I already have a GTX 1070, so I'm good there. My system plays most games great, but it seems like more and more games are CPU intensive. Watch Dogs 2, Hitman, & Battlegrounds are some games that I really want to play but my CPU struggles with them.
I currently have an i5-4670K. My question is should I buy an i7-4790K or i7-7700k?
If I decide on the i7-7700k, I'd also have to get a new motherboard & ram. Would the extra $$ be worth it????

Have you overclocked your CPU? That's what I would do. I think it's a lot of money to replace your CPU considering you have a gtx 1070 and 1080p/60. I don't think you're going enough of an improvement. Also OC your cpu. :p

I would hold out for a nice 6-core CPU and just use your current one in the meantime.

I need some quick advice: I've got a CoolerMaster Seidon 120V but the radiator doesn't fit the back of the case properly, even though they're supposed to be compatible. Anyone else has had this problem? Am I doing something wrong? I ended up installing it on top, but due to the limited space, the fan ends up barely touching the RAM memories. Will this be a problem or should I leave it installed like that? My case is a Corsair Carbide series SPEC 03.

rob_lh

Neo Member
Okay PCGaf, I've been debating it for a few years but I've finally come around to the idea of joining the PC gaming world. I've been debating the last two weeks whether I should buy a pre-built or build one myself, after watching a bunch of youtube videos, besides the cable management I think I'll be fine.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 144? Destiny 2, Shadow of War, Far Cry 5, Battlegrounds, Overwatch.

30FPS is fine

None at all

Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 750TX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900) No

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? How long can you wait? Deadline is September

$950 is a tough budget if you've really got nothing. If you're not building until September, I might hold off until 1) Destiny 2 requirements are better known and 2) AMD announces some new GPUs in July. Regardless, if you had to buy something today, I'd go with this.

$169 - AMD R5 1400
$288 - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC
$74 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4 GB) 3000 MHz
$120 - Asus VS238H-P 23" 1080p Monitor
$90 - MSI B350M Mortar Micro ATX
$67 - Seagate Barracude 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM HDD
$46 - EVGA 600W B1 Power Supply
$52 - Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact ATX Case
$110 - Windows 10

That's at like $1100 before tax. You could drop the GTX 1060 SSC to like a 1050 Ti, but performance is going to take a big hit. You could also drop the CPU+mobo to Pentium G4560 and the motherboard to a B250, and you'd save ~$80. I don't know how the Pentium holds up in PUBG, but it's been a beast in everything except the most demanding games (GTA V).

So if you went Pentium + GTX 1050 Ti, you'd be much closer to $800. I'd take the remaining $150 and put it into an SSD or jump back to the 1060.

rob_lh

Neo Member

You are correct that games are leveraging more and more CPU, specifically Open World games. Let's take Gamers Nexus Watch Dogs 2 data. The i5-4690K can do 70 fps average at Ultra, but the 1% frametimes are under 60 fps, so you'll see some dips. Both the 4790K and 7700K have 1% frametimes above 60 fps, so they're going to provide similar smooth experiences.

Here's what the % improvements look like to averages and 1% frametimes:

36% AVG
28% 1%

53% AVG
49% 1%

For the 7700K, you're going to pay at least like $520 for the CPU ($330), motherboard ($110), and RAM ($80) - I'm assuming you already have a CPU fan for your i5. If you can get a 4790K for less than $297 or so, it'd be a better value. If it's only at like $300, I'd lean more towards the i7-7700K, simply because it's a new platform that would give you newer memory and room to expand (Optane, PCIe SSDs, etc.).

Also according to eBay, it looks like you could get $88-100 for your i5-4690K.

Just installed a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB on a machine with 16 gig ddr3, Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz on an ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP mobo, I was reading that card and processor combo should play most games at high to ultra at 60 frames 1080P. So far on GTA V I get horrible performance even on high settings 20-30. Certain parts in Dark Souls 3 will drop me to 40 frames and and H1Z1 hovers around 4 mu cpu stays around 60-70 use and memory at 30.0. I've watched benchmarks and these guys are running everything on ultra and not budging from 60.

What's happening? I have a feeling my mobo is dying. It's a shitty one from back then with no overclock capabilities and it has randomly disconnecting USB port problem for months now that a new power source and multiple reformats didn't fix. Even bought a PCI USB expansion and the issue persisted.

I was hoping this card would carry me for awhile and run the games I play good enough but something seems really off. Would OC my card make that big of a difference? can a dying or crappy mobo affect performance that bad? Just really confused. For about 500 I could by a new mobo, processor and ram but I didn't really want to half ass another build and wanted to wait a bit more. This mobo seems to be the only one that wouldn't make my stomach hurt buying cause I know how old my cpu is and other z77 boards go for way too much money.
Link

Would this possibly help me get better performance so I can hold off on a full build for awhile? Could something else be the issue giving me such bad performance?

rob_lh

Neo Member
Just installed a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB on a machine with 16 gig ddr3, Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz on an ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP mobo, I was reading that card and processor combo should play most games at high to ultra at 60 frames 1080P. So far on GTA V I get horrible performance even on high settings 20-30. Certain parts in Dark Souls 3 will drop me to 40 frames and and H1Z1 hovers around 4 mu cpu stays around 60-70 use and memory at 30.0. I've watched benchmarks and these guys are running everything on ultra and not budging from 60.

What's happening? I have a feeling my mobo is dying. It's a shitty one from back then with no overclock capabilities and it has randomly disconnecting USB port problem for months now that a new power source and multiple reformats didn't fix. Even bought a PCI USB expansion and the issue persisted.

I was hoping this card would carry me for awhile and run the games I play good enough but something seems really off. Would OC my card make that big of a difference? can a dying or crappy mobo affect performance that bad? Just really confused. For about 500 I could by a new mobo, processor and ram but I didn't really want to half ass another build and wanted to wait a bit more. This mobo seems to be the only one that wouldn't make my stomach hurt buying cause I know how old my cpu is and other z77 boards go for way too much money.
Link

Would this possibly help me get better performance so I can hold off on a full build for awhile? Could something else be the issue giving me such bad performance?

You are correct that that CPU+GPU combo should give you significantly higher performance. Have you checked what temperature your CPU is running at? It could be a situation where the heatsink has come loose, if the thermal paste has cracked, or if the fan is malfunctioning, so it's throttling thermal performance.

The next thing to check is if your power supply is both sufficient in power provided and functioning properly. Hit EVGA's power supply calculator to determine how much you need. If you have enough, it could be a situation where the PSU is failing, and the only way to check that is to swap it out. See if you can borrow a friends or order one from a place with a good return policy and send it back if you don't see any improvement.

If none of that fixes it, it's likely a motherboard problem.

You are correct that that CPU+GPU combo should give you significantly higher performance. Have you checked what temperature your CPU is running at? It could be a situation where the heatsink has come loose, if the thermal paste has cracked, or if the fan is malfunctioning, so it's throttling thermal performance.

The next thing to check is if your power supply is both sufficient in power provided and functioning properly. Hit EVGA's power supply calculator to determine how much you need. If you have enough, it could be a situation where the PSU is failing, and the only way to check that is to swap it out. See if you can borrow a friends or order one from a place with a good return policy and send it back if you don't see any improvement.

If none of that fixes it, it's likely a motherboard problem.

Yeah the disconnecting usb made me buy a new EVGA 650 GQ fairly recently and it didn't fix the issue. My temperatures seem fine across the board as well. I guess the next step wouldbe the mobo. Not really excited on buying a refurbished OEM version of crappy system but I really haven't found much else.

vector824

30FPS is fine

None at all

This puts you right on target. Now if you need a monitor then you'll have to save for it. Eventually you should get a Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon) for a backup drive.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($81.72 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($227.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.00 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Raidmax - RX-120SR-GY 38.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($4.50 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Keyboard: Logitech - K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($10.99 @ Best Buy)
Mouse: Logitech - B100 Wired Optical Mouse ($6.30 @ Amazon)
Other: Windows 10 ($20.00) From Play-Asia
Total: $843.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-07 07:48 EDT-0400

This is what I recommend getting all at once:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($227.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.00 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Raidmax - RX-120SR-GY 38.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($4.50 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Monitor: Asus - VS238H-P 23.0" 1920x1080 Monitor ($119.83 @ Amazon)
Total: $1013.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-07 07:52 EDT-0400

Now for bare bones stripped down probably not that fast low to mid components no wifi and limited storage (this comp will only last about 2-3 years):

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($168.72 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill - FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($22.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus - VS238H-P 23.0" 1920x1080 Monitor ($119.83 @ Amazon)
Total: $798.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-07 07:57 EDT-0400

Arex

Anyone know how the Zotac 1070 mini performs? I might get that instead of the 1070 FE.

Also, any suggestion for good and affordable 24" 144hz monitor? I saw Asus and Acer has one, but any user opinion would be great :)

With the RX 580 and RX 570 basically non-options due to digital currency mining, what is someone to do with $200 that wants to upgrade GPU from a GTX 670? The 1060 3gb seems like the only logical new part (missed that damn 980 TI deal), but what in the way of used parts makes more sense (if any) than getting a 1060?

kuYuri

I'm thinking I might be due for an upgrade or two. Been having some games chug a little on me lately.

My current specs:

oeiwjS9.jpg

As budget goes, I'd like to see what's recommended first before deciding. I have a 4K OLED, but I'm assuming we aren't close yet to 4K with a stable 60 fps. But correct me if I'm wrong.

It's possible, but not always on highest settings, you'll have to tweak some graphics settings. Depending on the game you are trying to run at 4K/60fps, be ready to turn down some settings to as low as medium for stable 60fps. Minimum card that you'll want is a 1070, but I would go with a 1080 or 1080 Ti. The Ti gives you more room for higher settings.

I think a 4790k would be fine, problem now is finding one for a decent price compared to before cause now they are rare. Otherwise you'll be spending closer to $500 or so to upgrade Motherboard and RAM if you go for the 7700k, which itself is a minimal improvement over the 4790k for the price imo.

ISee

Link

How is your GPU usage, temperature and clock speed when fps drops occur?

With the RX 580 and RX 570 basically non-options due to digital currency mining, what is someone to do with $200 that wants to upgrade GPU from a GTX 670? The 1060 3gb seems like the only logical new part (missed that damn 980 TI deal), but what in the way of used parts makes more sense (if any) than getting a 1060?

If you want to get something used the 980 is still an option. It is slightly faster than a 1060 if overclocked and you can find good models for around $220 if you search for a while. The downside are just 4GB of Vram and the 980Ti is the better option if you can finde one for ~$280.

Vipu

Banned
Anyone know how the Zotac 1070 mini performs? I might get that instead of the 1070 FE.

Also, any suggestion for good and affordable 24" 144hz monitor? I saw Asus and Acer has one, but any user opinion would be great :)

LG had some 24" 144hz screen that is said to be the best from those cheapest 144hz screens, I dont have modelnumber for you tho.

RS4-

Find someone local that is selling a 980ti for like sub 250, or wait for a deal/second hand 1060.

GodofWine

30FPS is fine

None at all

If you are OK with 30FPS you can literally game on a potato :)

$950 is a tough budget if you've really got nothing

So if you went Pentium + GTX 1050 Ti, you'd be much closer to $800. I'd take the remaining $150 and put it into an SSD or jump back to the 1060.

I built 2 g4560/1050ti builds for $1000 (total for both) including monitors for my kids (unactivated windows though)., and both have 16GB Ram.

This combo will run anything well at 1080p, I get 50-65FPS in Battlegrounds (mixed settings), 150FPS in CSGO, 120 in Paladins (these two are basically at max settings). Hell, I can even stream at 480p and maintain those numbers (I just wanted to see the effects, basically there were none, I dont stream).

I did shop for sales HARD though. Got 2 refurbed 23 inch monitors for $72 each, the ram was $95, and the 1050ti's got delivered for $110 each. But really really awesome budget builds. Even got a deal on cheap mech. keyboards for $25 each, velocifires, they aren't "great", but they are pretty decent.

Installed my 2TB hard drive again. Boy... those things are louder than I remember. It's the only thing I hear when I'm just doing normal shit. Also... having to deal with more than 1 SATA power cable is never fun. The cable situation in the back of my case has escalated to "nightmare that I never want to look at again."

SOLDIER

It's possible, but not always on highest settings, you'll have to tweak some graphics settings. Depending on the game you are trying to run at 4K/60fps, be ready to turn down some settings to as low as medium for stable 60fps. Minimum card that you'll want is a 1070, but I would go with a 1080 or 1080 Ti. The Ti gives you more room for higher settings.

Is the GPU the only thing I should upgrade? Someone in another thread mentioned my CPU and RAM are getting on in years.

What if I just want 1080p 60fps with very high/ultra with no dips?

rob_lh

Neo Member
If you are OK with 30FPS you can literally game on a potato :)

I built 2 g4560/1050ti builds for $1000 (total for both) including monitors for my kids (unactivated windows though)., and both have 16GB Ram.

This combo will run anything well at 1080p, I get 50-65FPS in Battlegrounds (mixed settings), 150FPS in CSGO, 120 in Paladins (these two are basically at max settings). Hell, I can even stream at 480p and maintain those numbers (I just wanted to see the effects, basically there were none, I dont stream).

I did shop for sales HARD though. Got 2 refurbed 23 inch monitors for $72 each, the ram was $95, and the 1050ti's got delivered for $110 each. But really really awesome budget builds. Even got a deal on cheap mech. keyboards for $25 each, velocifires, they aren't "great", but they are pretty decent.

I'm glad to hear it's holding it's own. The Pentium is a stupid good value, and the GTX 1050 Ti seems more than capable in eSports titles and AAA games if you're willing to play at Medium settings. It makes for an awesome combo.

Hi Guys,

So deciding to upgrade my 980ti to a 1080ti, im currently running a 4770k. Does this cpu need upgrading? I am playing at 1080p downsampling most games from 1440p.

Hi Guys,

So deciding to upgrade my 980ti to a 1080ti, im currently running a 4770k. Does this cpu need upgrading? I am playing at 1080p downsampling most games from 1440p.

i think its like a 15% difference, and the ability to use ddr4 ram

i'd say not worth it personally, you'll only really notice it if you are running really high refresh rates (120 - 144 hz)

kuYuri

Is the GPU the only thing I should upgrade? Someone in another thread mentioned my CPU and RAM are getting on in years.

What if I just want 1080p 60fps with very high/ultra with no dips?

A better CPU would help with minimum framerates and will absolutely help in certain games that are demanding on CPUs, such as open world games like GTAV, The Witcher 3, and Watch Dogs 2. But the biggest demand that 4K puts is on the GPU. The GPU is the more important thing for pushing 4K.

To make it simpler, the more power you can put into the necessary components, which is GPU > CPU > RAM, the more likely you are able to achieve 4K/60fps. But it's still extremely demanding to run 4K/60 on high/ultra settings, so it's a good idea to manage expectations.

For 1080p/60 on high/ultra, depending on the game you can get away with it on a GTX 1060 6GB/RX 580 8GB or a GTX 1070 for more headroom.

Hi Guys,

Nope, you are fine.

PixelatedBookake

Hey guys I need a new laptop that I can bring around with me on campus but I also love PC gaming. I want a laptop that can play GTAV at a good resolution/framerate and is around or under $1000. This question might have already been asked, but any suggestions?

Anyone have some good recommendations for cherry brown keyboards I can buy? After taking the time to build my pc, I totally forgot I needed a good keyboard if I'm going to game with it lol

SOLDIER

A better CPU would help with minimum framerates and will absolutely help in certain games that are demanding on CPUs, such as open world games like GTAV, The Witcher 3, and Watch Dogs 2. But the biggest demand that 4K puts is on the GPU. The GPU is the more important thing for pushing 4K.

To make it simpler, the more power you can put into the necessary components, which is GPU > CPU > RAM, the more likely you are able to achieve 4K/60fps. But it's still extremely demanding to run 4K/60 on high/ultra settings, so it's a good idea to manage expectations.

For 1080p/60 on high/ultra, depending on the game you can get away with it on a GTX 1060 6GB/RX 580 8GB or a GTX 1070 for more headroom.

Interesting that you don't mention the 1080 TI. Seems everyone mentions that one, as it also works towards future proofing later games, including more optimized 4K. How does it compare to the GPUs you mentioned?

Asking before I pull the trigger. Anything seem sketch about this?

Ebay

My current pc is
i5 3570K
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB(just bought)
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP(dying)
EVGA 650 GQ
16 gig DDR3

Really hard to find a Z77 mobo anywhere that's not a ridiculous price. I know this one isn't fantastic and it's an OEM but I just want to buy some time with my current CPU so I don't have to rush another build and cheap out on parts(like I did last time). I don't play very intensive games and my usbs have been failing for months and I've tried everything and even replaced the power source. Ethernet has been disconnecting recently as well so i'm pretty sure it's my motherboard that needs replacing.

Bloodember

Asking before I pull the trigger. Anything seem sketch about this?

Ebay

My current pc is
i5 3570K
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB(just bought)
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP(dying)
EVGA 650 GQ
16 gig DDR3

Really hard to find a Z77 mobo anywhere that's not a ridiculous price. I know this one isn't fantastic and it's an OEM but I just want to buy some time with my current CPU so I don't have to rush another build and cheap out on parts(like I did last time). I don't play very intensive games and my usbs have been failing for months and I've tried everything and even replaced the power source. Ethernet has been disconnecting recently as well so i'm pretty sure it's my motherboard that needs replacing.
Looks fine.

Thorgal

i know i am probably way to late with this and the news is pretty ancient by now but i just now watched Linus video of him basically ranting about the x299 and the core 9 processors .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFzWRoVNnE

Looks like Intel got completely caught with their pants down by AMD's Threadripper and literally tripped all over themselves reacting to it .

Bloodember

i know i am probably way to late with this and the news is pretty ancient by now but i just now watched Linus video of him basically ranting about the x299 and the core 9 processors .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFzWRoVNnE

Looks like Intel got completely caught with their pants down by AMD's Threadripper and literally tripped all over themselves reacting to it .
Yeah, that's what it looks like. Plus the top end 18core chip came out of nowhere, many motherboard manufacturers apparently were like what the fuck is this when it was announced. Seems like Intel is scared.

Natiko

Banned
Couple of questions. How 'future proof' are the example builds listed in the OP? Specifically say the first one on the bottom three. Also, is there anything significant on the horizon that's worth waiting for (either due to the product itself being worth it or due to the likely price lowering of existing products)?

I've never built a PC, but as I was mulling spending $2,000 on an ultrabook I realized I'd likely be happier building a desktop and just buying one of the new iPads to pair with it.

aka_bueno

Corsair SFX 600w PLUS Gold enough for an i7 6700 (non k) and 1080 ti?

Considering upgrading my 1060 to 1080 ti now that I have a 4k monitor. But I have a Corsair SFX 450w PLUS Gold currently and would like to upgrade that to the 600w version if it'll suffice.

I'm limited to SFX since I have a tiny tiny case, SG13

Edit: found a Reddit thread asking the same exact question and got my answer. Easily enough, sweet! These new nvidia GPUs don't consume as much power as I thought!

Find someone local that is selling a 980ti for like sub 250, or wait for a deal/second hand 1060.

980 ti seems like some sound advice for a used card. Beats an rx 580 and can actually be found on the market. Should I be worried about anything present on the nVidia 10xx series or the AMD RX series that a 980 ti will lack?

kuYuri

Interesting that you don't mention the 1080 TI. Seems everyone mentions that one, as it also works towards future proofing later games, including more optimized 4K. How does it compare to the GPUs you mentioned?

A 1080 Ti for 1080p? A waste of money, plain and simple. Sure, you can pay $700 and get guaranteed 1080/60 with it, but why would you if you can get the same results with cheaper GPUs?

If you are going for 4K, then I already mentioned that the 1080 Ti is a good choice in one of my previous posts?

Sounds to me like you already made up your mind on getting a 1080 Ti, so go for it?

Thorgal

A 1080 Ti for 1080p? A waste of money, plain and simple. Sure, you can pay $700 and get guaranteed 1080/60 with it, but why would you if you can get the same results with cheaper GPUs?

If you are going for 4K, then I already mentioned that the 1080 Ti is a good choice in one of my previous posts?

i wouldn't call it a " waste of money " personally .

i mean sure , if all you are going to play on that PC are games like Hearthstone or GWENT or simple indie games then yeah, a 1080 is going to be overkill .

but buying a 1080 ti to play games at 1080 doesn't sound as bad ( if you have the funds for it of course ) as you will play that game at a smooth 60fps or higher and will maintain that level of performance for quite a while longer .

I bought a MSI 980ti when they came out with the knowledge that i will be playing most games on it at 1080 p.
it has provided me with great performance for all this time so far and i haven't regretted putting money down for it for a day .
And sure , if my system is barely breaking a sweat i will happily crank up that resolution but i have a 144hrz monitor and i want to fully use it dammit :)

kuYuri

i wouldn't call it a " waste of money " personally .

i mean sure , if all you are going to play on that PC are games like Hearthstone or GWENT or simple indie games then yeah, a 1080 is going to be overkill .

but buying a 1080 ti to play games at 1080 doesn't sound as bad ( if you have the funds for it of course ) as you will play that game at a smooth 60fps or higher and will maintain that level of performance for quite a while longer .

I bought a MSI 980ti when they came out with the knowledge that i will be playing most games on it at 1080 p.
it has provided me with great performance for all this time so far and i haven't regretted putting money down for it for a day .
And sure , if my system is barely breaking a sweat i will happily crank up that resolution but i have a 144hrz monitor and i want to fully use it dammit :)

Well, they said 1080p/60, not 1080p/144. If we're talking a 144hz monitor, then you'd definitely need all the power you can get to reach anywhere near that framerate and maintain it.

xinek

Hi all -- it's time to make decisions on what to buy. This will be my first PC for gaming since the late 90s. I've never built before, so I want to have fun -- that means lots of RGB! And those cool looking cable sleeves.

There are tons of games I want to be able to run well. Some samples from my wishlist: PUBG, CS:GO, Elite Dangerous, Rust, Garry's Mod, Paladins, Stardew Valley, Souls. I'll probably end up double dipping on BF1 and Overwatch, and maybe Destiny 2. Coming from console, I want to be able to run everything at high (ultra?) settings and high solid frame rates with no screwing around.

Your Current Specs: Nothing.
Budget: I'd like to keep it under $3k (excluding monitor). USA.
Main Use: Gaming only.
Monitor Resolution: No monitor bought yet -- I'm looking into a 100+ Hz ultrawide but haven't decided on 1080p or 1440p. When 4k/UDH monitors are cheap/good enough, I plan to upgrade to one of those. Probably in a couple years?
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Some listed above.
Is 30FPS acceptable? No!
60? Yes! 144? YES!
How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA / GSYNC / FREESYNC to you? I definitely want GSync. I've seen in a couple places now that Freeesync is not as good, but if that's bogus, I'd go for it over GSync for the right monitor.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Nope.
When will you build? Soon!
Do you have a deadline? Nope.
How long can you wait? Forever, but I'm pretty excited to get going and don't want to keep putting it off for the next big hardware thing coming out.
Will you be overclocking? Maybe, so I guess yes?? I do like to tinker.

I went back and forth between Intel and Ryzen about 500 times. I'd like the cheaper Ryzen that's shaking up everything and may have a better upgrade path, but Intel still seems to be the best overall for gaming performance. Also, I've read that Ryzen builds can be a bit unstable?!

Power usage and quiet are also very important, although I know there isn't necessarily much that can be done about that. But if my build can be tweaked for it, that would be awesome.

Here's what I've got so far. Is it overkill? I want to "future proof" for the next 5-6 years without throwing away money or going overboard.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - MAXIMUS IX FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($364.89 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($154.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($150.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card ($719.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1959.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-07 19:10 EDT-0400

Still have to find a keyboard, mouse, and I also kind of want one of these Hue+ things: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018YZ0H1O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

RS4-

980 ti seems like some sound advice for a used card. Beats an rx 580 and can actually be found on the market. Should I be worried about anything present on the nVidia 10xx series or the AMD RX series that a 980 ti will lack?

For the 10xx, lower power draw, VRAM, newer architecture, etc.

Im definitely missing more lol.

I guess it depends on how big the price difference is between the ti and Pascal cards. I had the choice between the ti and a 1070, but the difference was 60-70 cad, went with the 1070

Edit - heat is a big thing too.

Lockon

Got a problem with my DisplayPort cable/port. I started up my computer when I got back from work and the monitor (AsusVG248 that is using displayport cable) has a No Signal display. I tried to troubleshoot it but nothing work. So I tried using hdmi cable on it and it worked. Does this mean my cable is busted or it might be something else?

Top Bottom