• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

I have updated the shopping list, does this build sound solid? I'm aiming for 1440p/60fps on a 32chg70 monitor (asap i can buy it). Would like to play destiny2 and some xbox exclusives too at 1440p/60fps (coming from a 2500k@4.0ghz 8gb ram).

Do you think could be possible with this build? Otherwise i would simply keep the i5 till it dies and buy a xb1x for the exclusives and 3rd parties (got already a ps4pro) and maybe a new hdr tv.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (€217.19 @ Amazon Italia)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€43.50 @ Amazon Italia)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M MORTAR ARCTIC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€101.90 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€128.88 @ Amazon Italia)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For €0.00)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (Purchased For €0.00)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For €0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For €0.00)
Total: €491.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-17 15:13 CEST+0200

Looks like a good list to me for your target.

But when discussing bottlenecking or upgrading a CPU, I would encourage everyone to do actual measurements of their system load. Download MSI afterburner and watch the performance overlay. It will be obvious where things are bottlenecking. Personally in cases where I figured it was the CPU, it turned out to be something else.

I recommend a pragmatic approach - upgrade when the bottlenecks are happening now, not for predicted bottlenecks later.

Garryk

What's up with GPU inventory right now? Seems like Newegg, AMZ, etc. are all down to 3rd party sellers on the 1060/1070s. RX 580s as well.

What's up with GPU inventory right now? Seems like Newegg, AMZ, etc. are all down to 3rd party sellers on the 1060/1070s.
Cryptocurrency miners have driven up demand for GPUs, first on the AMD side, now they're coming for nVidia.

If you have a recent GPU like an RX 470 or 480, this is a good time to sell it.

Hopfrog

Cryptocurrency miners have driven up demand for GPUs, first on the AMD side, now they're coming for nVidia.

Depressing as fuck. I was looking to pick up a 1070 recently, but not with prices like they are now. At Microcenter they have some 1080s for less than 1070s at the moment - frustrating.

What's up with GPU inventory right now? Seems like Newegg, AMZ, etc. are all down to 3rd party sellers on the 1060/1070s.

Just glancing through Newegg, there's plenty models still sold through Newegg themselves. Some may be exhausted though as a knock-on consequence of the mining surge depleting AMD card stock.

Depressing as fuck. I was looking to pick up a 1070 recently, but not with prices like they are now. At Microcenter they have some 1080s for less than 1070s at the moment - frustrating.
It's not a great time to buy any PC part, it seems. Sales and discounts have been poor. The RAM/NAND shortage is still in full effect. AMD's Vega is coming this summer. Intel's next CPU generation might appear in the fall, along with nVidia's Volta.

I sold my RX 480 for a tidy profit, so I'm taking this opportunity to catch up on PS4 games and indie titles on the PC.

Hopfrog

It's not a great time to buy any PC part, it seems. Sales and discounts have been poor. The RAM/NAND shortage is still in full effect. AMD's Vega is coming this summer. Intel's next CPU generation might appear in the fall, along with nVidia's Volta.

I sold my RX 480 for a tidy profit, so I'm taking this opportunity to catch up on PS4 games and indie titles on the PC.

Same. Been looking to do a overhaul to the system I built in 2013 but right now just seems like a terrible time overall to be buying parts. Will just play less demanding titles until the fall/winter and reassess then.

grimmiq

Another day another new problem..

My GPU has started making a staticy whining noise in-game. First couple of weeks it didn't, framerate still seems fine, but it's incredibly annoying. I haven't touched any settings in anything other than game settings, my RX580 used to have a solid 100% usage while playing Witcher 3, now it has this.

mNGrseV.png

Any suggestions as to what it could be? I know my CPU (i5-3570k) is underpowered, but for 2 weeks or so it was working completely fine. It's late and I can't find the right sized screwdriver, so tomorrow morning I'm going to try removing and reseating it.

Framerate hasn't changed even with the fluctuating usage, but if it's faulty or not installed properly, I don't to have to wait for something to break/fail.

My GPU has started making a staticy whining noise in-game. First couple of weeks it didn't, framerate still seems fine, but it's incredibly annoying. I haven't touched any settings in anything other than game settings, my RX580 used to have a solid 100% usage while playing Witcher 3, now it has this.

mNGrseV.png

Any suggestions as to what it could be? I know my CPU (i5-3570k) is underpowered, but for 2 weeks or so it was working completely fine. It's late and I can't find the right sized screwdriver, so tomorrow morning I'm going to try removing and reseating it.

Framerate hasn't changed even with the fluctuating usage, but if it's faulty or not installed properly, I don't to have to wait for something to break/fail.

How are temperatures?

REDSLATE

mNGrseV.png

It's probably just under load. My 1080 Tis made a slight whining noise when I ran very intense benchmarks. Very unlikely that it's a hardware fault.

grimmiq

Hm... and in spite of this you still say framerate is fine? No major drops or stuttering?

nothing noticeable, witcher 3 runs solid 60fps, i did have some drops when I left framerate uncapped, FFXIV varies a lot, but usually stays pretty consistent situation to situation (100-110 running around, 65-70 during FATEs with 20+ people spamming AoE.)

nothing noticeable, witcher 3 runs solid 60fps, i did have some drops when I left framerate uncapped, FFXIV varies a lot, but usually stays pretty consistent situation to situation (100-110 running around, 65-70 during FATEs with 20+ people spamming AoE.)

Hm. Then it might just be what areas of the game you're playing through, or changing conditions in the open world perhaps.

I've seen someone sell a 4GB RX480 for +50% of its retail price. Someone even asked "why are you selling this for the price of a 1070?" and the seller was just "hey it's this hot new thing, ethereum mining, you won't find this anywhere now".

Which moron will buy an RX480 if he can afford a 1070 that is even more readily available? If Crypto Mining Blog is to believed, 1070 can have up 50-100% higher hashrate for less power.

xBladeM6x

I'm going to overclock my i7-3770k, and need a proper water cooler for the job. I prefer Corsair, and space won't be an issue, and neither is noise. What's the best performance Corsair water cooler?

NEO0MJ

What are some recommended programs for a new PC?

I have updated the shopping list, does this build sound solid? I'm aiming for 1440p/60fps on a 32chg70 monitor (asap i can buy it). Would like to play destiny2 and some xbox exclusives too at 1440p/60fps (coming from a 2500k@4.0ghz 8gb ram).

Do you think could be possible with this build? Otherwise i would simply keep the i5 till it dies and buy a xb1x for the exclusives and 3rd parties (got already a ps4pro) and maybe a new hdr tv.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (€217.19 @ Amazon Italia)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€43.50 @ Amazon Italia)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M MORTAR ARCTIC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€101.90 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€128.88 @ Amazon Italia)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For €0.00)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (Purchased For €0.00)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For €0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For €0.00)
Total: €491.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-17 15:13 CEST+0200

It might struggle a bit with some modern open world games as according to benchmarks I saw it averages around 45 or so FPS in Watch Dogs 2 when playing with max settings at 1440p.

Branson

Sure seems like a lot of people have been building pcs recently though. The parts I have in my cart on amazon have been going in and out of stock and up and down in price.

NEO0MJ

I forgot also ask if I need to keep my part boxes for warranty reasons or if I can just throw them away. They take too much space.

Sure seems like a lot of people have been building pcs recently though. The parts I have in my cart on amazon have been going in and out of stock and up and down in price.

I imagine a lot of people were waiting on what kind of news was coming from Computex/E3 before making a move on a new PC. Crypto currencies also play a role but I imagine that mostly just effects the GPU market.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

With that mindset it's never a good time to buy anything. Thing is, with a new PC, try to think about upgrading a year in advance. I thought about mine end of last Summer. Originally was supposed to go 6700k, Titan X pascal but ended up with 7700k, 1080 Ti. Ended up putting it all together like two months ago.
You start buying parts when you can while shopping for deals. I said earlier to buy in combos because they can save you a good amount. I ended up saving nearly a grand doing that. It's always a good time to start visualizing your build and gathering parts no matter the time.

With that mindset it's never a good time to buy anything. Thing is, with a new PC, try to think about upgrading a year in advance. I thought about mine end of last Summer. Originally was supposed to go 6700k, Titan X pascal but ended up with 7700k, 1080 Ti. Ended up putting it all together like two months ago.

You start buying parts when you can while shopping for deals. I said earlier to buy in combos because they can save you a good amount. I ended up saving nearly a grand doing that. It's always a good time to start visualizing your build and gathering parts no matter the time.

The bold has been my approach. Got my PSU for a good sale price, then my case today for a final cost of $35. I can get a decent $50 combo deal at Microcenter on my MB/CPU pretty much anytime, so until I find a good RAM deal, I'll hold off on the MB/CPU until the very end, once everything else is acquired.

I've seen someone sell a 4GB RX480 for +50% of its retail price. Someone even asked "why are you selling this for the price of a 1070?" and the seller was just "hey it's this hot new thing, ethereum mining, you won't find this anywhere now".

Which moron will buy an RX480 if he can afford a 1070 that is even more readily available? If Crypto Mining Blog is to believed, 1070 can have up 50-100% higher hashrate for less power.

I don't believe the 1070 was a good mining deal until the 480s became as costly as they are. Probably a bandwagon thing too. There's a lot of folks buying mining parts who may not know what they are doing.

This is an unnaturally poor point to buy pc parts though. I mean, unless the propsect of spending twice as much for RAM and GPUs sounds like fun.

I definitely think about PC builds for a long time, which is why I wouldn't buy a single part right now. There's no point. Just wait.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What if ram prices don't come down? Based on the news it isn't going to happen any time soon. Are you going to wait three or four years until they do if that? GPUs and CPUs are the majors that you can wait to buy whenever. Other parts you can asap if you find deals for them.

Oh look I just saved $60 on an M.2 drive this one week.
Z270i gaming board? Look at that, there's a combo for $40 less with a better board on Newegg.
Wow I just saved $200 on a pair of monitors and free shipping included and no taxes.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

And because I did that I had $1k of spare money to get a top tier CPU, GPU and overkill case despite my limited budget I set myself on. I didn't have to skimp out on anything. All my parts are high to top tier. Yes, buying everything right away is not a good thing to do unless you don't care anyway but there is nothing wrong with buying things here and there and putting finishing touches on it at any time. The ram and GPU I got is actually more expensive than when I got it. Isn't that a funny thing?

draliko

What are some recommended programs for a new PC?

It might struggle a bit with some modern open world games as according to benchmarks I saw it averages around 45 or so FPS in Watch Dogs 2 when playing with max settings at 1440p.

Thanks, it's quite hard to follow benchmark, they usually go for ultra setting that adds useless detail (not always) from high settings...

Condom

mNGrseV.png

Did you perhaps update the AMD drivers recently?

kharma45

Been running a i7 2600k for about 6 years now. Would it be worth upgrading to a i7 7700k? Most of the gaming comparisons i can find show them pretty neck and neck still.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/287?vs=1826

You'd need a new motherboard too and new RAM. I don't think it's really worth it for the $500+ you'd be spending.

If you haven't already OC'd the 2600K I'd do that to eek out extra performance. Even a Hyper 212 would get you up into the mid-4GHz range.

RazeEverything

Neo Member
If you haven't already OC'd the 2600K I'd do that to eek out extra performance. Even a Hyper 212 would get you up into the mid-4GHz range.

Hah yea thats the cooler i slapped on it when i OC'd it to a little over 4ghz.

Thanks for the advice guys, ill keep running on this cpu for awhile longer then.

What if ram prices don't come down? Based on the news it isn't going to happen any time soon. Are you going to wait three or four years until they do if that? GPUs and CPUs are the majors that you can wait to buy whenever. Other parts you can asap if you find deals for them.

Oh look I just saved $60 on an M.2 drive this one week.
Z270i gaming board? Look at that, there's a combo for $40 less with a better board on Newegg.
Wow I just saved $200 on a pair of monitors and free shipping included and no taxes.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

And because I did that I had $1k of spare money to get a top tier CPU, GPU and overkill case despite my limited budget I set myself on. I didn't have to skimp out on anything. All my parts are high to top tier. Yes, buying everything right away is not a good thing to do unless you don't care anyway but there is nothing wrong with buying things here and there and putting finishing touches on it at any time. The ram and GPU I got is actually more expensive than when I got it. Isn't that a funny thing?

I'm a fan of waiting for things. Unless it's a good deal, there's no real benefit to getting things right now, and all the potential benefits, with better parts always right around the corner. Plan, wait, execute. That's how I like to do it, anyway. There's always bad times to buy everything, this just seems like a particularly bad time to buy RAM, the GPU, and possibly the CPU depending on what you want.

This is just my interpretation of the market at this point time based on how I'm planning my next build. I'm planning on waiting as long as I have to. Yes, years if that's what it takes to get what I want at a certain price or performance. I just can't justify overpaying, or even paying MSRP. Whereas waiting is easy, and always wins.

EDIT: Looks like I'm not alone in thinking this is a bad time to buy PC parts.

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
Is 1080 a bad buy right now since it's been out for over a year? Seems like a good deal when compared to other cards(it's ~$150 less expensive than what it launched at while other cards remain near launch prices when in stock) but I'm afraid if I buy it their next x70 will match it in a few months at $150 cheaper.

Is 1080 a bad buy right now since it's been out for over a year? Seems like a good deal when compared to other cards(it's ~$150 less expensive than what it launched at while other cards remain near launch prices when in stock) but I'm afraid if I buy it their next x70 will match it in a few months at $150 cheaper.

The 1080 is a good buy. One of the few cards that has been on a good sale, in my opinion, as low as $430 recently.

I haven't seen any firm Volta rumors yet. I would guess we would see a Fall release (meaning it might take a month or two to actually get a card) so you could be waiting 4-5 months for the next round of nVidia cards. So, depends on how long you want to wait. Is a cheaper price worth waiting months with only nebulous rumors on the horizon?

I'm in the $200 GPU price range and that whole market is boned so I'm not going to buy anything for a little while. Maybe nVidia will come out with an 1160 by the time I'm ready to drop some cash anyhow.

Bloodember

Got me a Dell S2716DG G-Sync gaming display. All I got to say is wow, glad I decided to get it.

If anyone wants one, Amazon, Microcenter, and Best Buy has it for $499 right now.

Nazo

Hearing that nows a bad time to buy PC parts is rather disconcerting as someone who's planning to build their first gaming PC :/

Smokey

Hope the X299 situation gets resolved relatively soon after launch. Begging Intel to let me upgrade, but so far the early reports aren't too promising.

w3bba

Soo, I want to upgrade from a Radeon HD 7870 to either an GTX 1070 or GTX 1080. Is the increase in performance notable enough to warrent the increased price or will i be fine with either for the next 2-3 years? considering that i might go up to 4k this year

Or should i wait for a successor?

NEO0MJ

Soo, I want to upgrade from a Radeon HD 7870 to either an GTX 1070 or GTX 1080. Is the increase in performance notable enough to warrent the increased price or will i be fine with either for the next 2-3 years? considering that i might go up to 4k this year

Or should i wait for a successor?

If you want 4K it might be better to wait until next year. The 1080 ti is doing a good job with a good number of titles at 4K 60FPS but it seems to still struggle to hit it with some games.

When this mining bubble bursts (if)

Would anyone here buy a used mining cards?

Pros/cons?

I remember reading somewhere that mining cards are burnt out so it's better not to go with them. Plus some cards are released specifically for mining so they don't function as well with games.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
It's mostly a bad time to buy if you're upgrading.

How come?

I've been wanting to change from full desktop tower to HTPC, which requires changing most components anyway.

I've got an old AMD desktop, 1090T BE CPU with 4GB. Upgraded GPU a while ago for a R9 280.

I would go with Ryzen 5 1600, 16GB DDR4 3000 Mhz, mini ITX AM4 board & fractal design node 202.

I would keep my 850 evo 250GB SSD and R9 280, for a while at least.

Would R9 280 + Ryzen 5 1600 be a substantial upgrade in game performances compared to the old CPU i had? or my GPU will be way way too bottlenecked and i should upgrade?

Top Bottom