• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

rtcn63

the 3570K and 144 aren't really gonna mesh unless you're talking maybe super CPU-light indie games.

In a CPU-demanding game like Watch Dogs 2, I believe it's barely pushing 60 average on high.

Now 1440p/60fps? Probably doable for the most part, since resolution is much more GPU-dependent.

SOLDIER

I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a mouse configuration? I purchased the G502, and I've still yet to find a speed for the mouse that feels fully comfortable for me.

Here are my settings so far, both on Windows and the gaming software:

K8uAMzh.jpg

23qwerty

I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a mouse configuration? I purchased the G502, and I've still yet to find a speed for the mouse that feels fully comfortable for me.

Here are my settings so far, both on Windows and the gaming software:

K8uAMzh.jpg

It's 100% personal preference, just something you're going to have to find for yourself

the 3570K and 144 aren't really gonna mesh unless you're talking maybe super CPU-light indie games.

In a CPU-demanding game like Watch Dogs 2, I believe it's barely pushing 60 average on high.

Now 1440p/60fps? Probably doable for the most part, since resolution is much more GPU-dependent.

I currently do 1440/60fps

nynt9

I currently have an i7-5820k and a SLI GTX 980. Which one should I prioritize upgrading first, and what would be an upgrade that balances meaningful improvement, future proofing, and not being too expensive? I looked into a 1080ti and $700 seems like a lot. My screen is a 21:9 1440p.

I currently have an i7-5820k and a SLI GTX 980. Which one should I prioritize upgrading first, and what would be an upgrade that balances meaningful improvement, future proofing, and not being too expensive? I looked into a 1080ti and $700 seems like a lot. My screen is a 21:9 1440p.

That cpu should still be pretty good, have you tried overclocking it? Upgrading to the 1080ti is the better option for sure. Try to sell your 980s which will help offset the cost.

nynt9

That cpu should still be pretty good, have you tried overclocking it? Upgrading to the 1080ti is the better option for sure. Try to sell your 980s which will help offset the cost.

I can overclock it yeah. Is eBay the best medium for selling my old GPUs? What's a good price I can get for them?

Can someone recommend me a good CPU air-cooler for around 50-60€? Mine seems to be dying as of today. It should fit a i5 3570k but also be compatible with Ryzen and/or i9's since I wanted to upgrade later this year.

Thanks in advance :)

What kind of performance are you wanting to achieve?

More thinking of future proofing tbh so i could jump to 1440p, etc if needed but 1080p seems fine right now. (Currently doing 720 - 1080p now with my trusty Radeon 7850)

If you have a 1440p monitor the 1080 is a must. Only other reason to need it is if you want maximum future proofing.

this is where i'm looking at and wondering if i should just bite the bullet and have that comfort for however long it lasts lol

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Could you guys recommend an Intel motherboard? Just ordered all the parts for my new build except for the mobo. Was going to go with the Asia Strix Z270F, but am having second thoughts due to some bad reviews. I'm willing to spend up to $175ish.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
RNG is everything. It is a real thing. Mostly everything from the name brands are good. Matter of preference.

Joined the 5.0ghz club. Things are super stable so far.

Is there any program to control fans other than the BIOS which is like trying to decipher hieroglyphics.

ISee

Can someone recommend me a good CPU air-cooler for around 50-60€? Mine seems to be dying as of today. It should fit a i5 3570k but also be compatible with Ryzen and/or i9's since I wanted to upgrade later this year.

Cryorig H7 for 45€. You can order the ryzen kit for free.

ISee

Could you guys recommend an Intel motherboard? Just ordered all the parts for my new build except for the mobo. Was going to go with the Asia Strix Z270F, but am having second thoughts due to some bad reviews. I'm willing to spend up to $175ish.

What bad reviews? It is a good board. I'm even on the tiny bit cheaper z270 prime a. One of the best MB I ever head. Superior sound quality and I was able both push my ram and cpu a bit further while reducing voltage.

Hey guys, have few questions, My current set-up is:

Asus P8Z77-V
Core i5 3570k (stock)
8gb G.SKILL Ares Series
GTX 780 TI
1440p Monitor

I just bought a GTX 980 TI Classified from a fellow gaffer and was wondering how well 3570k gonna hold up with this? I'm going to overclock the cpu once i receive the 980ti. I'm planning to build a new PC from scratch in couple of years so i really don't want to spend any money atm if i don't have to.

Another question is, can this build handle 4K? I know 4k/60 isn't possible with these specs but what about 4k/30?

Aaaand lastly, would you buy an XB1X if you had this PC? I skipped on PS4 Pro for the XB1X and was planning to buy it day 1 but since I just bought a 980 ti, I'm not sure if it's worth buying the xbox. I just wanted it mainly for Forza 7 for now.

Thanks in advance.

Renekton

Another question is, can this build handle 4K? I know 4k/60 isn't possible with these specs but what about 4k/30?

Aaaand lastly, would you buy an XB1X if you had this PC? I skipped on PS4 Pro for the XB1X and was planning to buy it day 1 but since I just bought a 980 ti, I'm not sure if it's worth buying the xbox. I just wanted it mainly for Forza 7 for now.

Thanks in advance.
Running 980Ti on 1440p means your CPU won't be a bottleneck mostly.

I believe you can 4K/60 on Forza 7 with this setup, given the game's lowish requirement specs.

4K/30 is very reasonable for most other games.

longdi

Banned
RNG is everything. It is a real thing. Mostly everything from the name brands are good. Matter of preference.

Joined the 5.0ghz club. Things are super stable so far.

Is there any program to control fans other than the BIOS which is like trying to decipher hieroglyphics.

I rather use the bios than having an app start on boot, sitting in the background and taking up resources.

Asus has great bios fan control.

I can overclock it yeah. Is eBay the best medium for selling my old GPUs? What's a good price I can get for them?

I sell my old parts on craigslist but ebay can work or the bst thread here on gaf.

980s are alittle faster than 1060s so it should be priced accordingly. I would shoot for 180 each. What model of 980 are they?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
MSI has command center. I dled it but it says it doesn't support Z270. What kind of support is that? Thing has been out for a while and still nothing. The last update for it was back in January.

The fan BIOs is not user friendly at all compared to others it seems.

Condom

For silence: Mugen 5 PCGH Edition, works with Intel and Ryzen. Literally inaudible.

PizzaFace

Banned
Currently got a 7950, thinking of upgrading to a 1060, sticking at 1080p for the foreseeable future.

Will this give me a noticeable bump, how will I handle current games and this holiday's games? (for reference I also have an i5-3750K which I haven't OC'd and 8GB ram)

Anyone??

dr_mario

Ok i cannot yet directly quote on your helpful Posts (See last page). I will try changing everything you guys mentioned, but I worry About The RAM. The manual warns from putting IT in wrong:
img_20170617_132620.jpg

One of you answered One of my questions some time ago that IT doesnt matter If The RAM is too strong. Can i still try every four slots?

Ok i cannot yet directly quote on your helpful Posts (See last page). I will try changing everything you guys mentioned, but I worry About The RAM. The manual warns from putting IT in wrong:
img_20170617_132620.jpg

One of you answered One of my questions some time ago that IT doesnt matter If The RAM is too strong. Can i still try every four slots?

DDR4 runs at 2133 by default, so for now I'd say just try and put a single RAM stick in A2, and see if it boots from there. If it makes no difference, the problem is probably not in your RAM. If possible send us a photo so we can tell if it's seated properly.

Cryorig H7 for 45€. You can order the ryzen kit for free.

Thanks! Reading around it seems to Cryorig is a bit iffy with sending out the Ryzen brackets but otherwise benchmarks look good yeah.

For silence: Mugen 5 PCGH Edition, works with Intel and Ryzen. Literally inaudible.

Huh that sounds nice :eek: How is the cooling performance though? I have a hard time finding reviews in English or German?

And out of curiosity, is there anything from Noctua worth getting below the D15? I mean I could spend 90€ on it and probably be happy but I'm only a modest OC'er, my 3570k runs on 4.4ghz so I question it to be worth it.

Then again Intel seems to be a hot thing lately so skimping out on the cooling doesn't sound like a great idea. I'm still completely open about either a AMD or Intel upgrade path.

Condom

German reviews are out there but tl:dr is that cooling performance is about the same as the normal Mugen 5 but quieter.

You also get a free extra long screwdriver, which was nice.

dr_mario

DDR4 runs at 2133 by default, so for now I'd say just try and put a single RAM stick in A2, and see if it boots from there. If it makes no difference, the problem is probably not in your RAM. If possible send us a photo so we can tell if it's seated properly.

img_20170617_140002.jpg

img_20170617_140633.jpg

So whats that About cmos clear? I dont get if The jumper needs to be on or if not. I tried putting IT on clear, Do i have to put The Cord in again for clearing.

img_20170617_140002.jpg

img_20170617_140633.jpg

So whats that About cmos clear? I dont get if The jumper needs to be on or if not. I tried putting IT on clear, Do i have to put The Cord in again for clearing.

Just to say, given the size of your pictures, it'd be appreciated if they're put into quotes.

CMOS clear is like the last option you should consider trying in this instance, used to reset the motherboard itself. Given your build is new, and you can't get even get to CMOS, it'd be weird if you had to do that already.

I've take it you've just tried starting it with the one RAM Stick? Pushed to make sure it's clearly in?

dr_mario

Just to say, given the size of your pictures, it'd be appreciated if they're put into quotes.

CMOS clear is like the last option you should consider trying in this instance, used to reset the motherboard itself. Given your build is new, and you can't get even get to CMOS, it'd be weird if you had to do that already.

I've take it you've just tried starting it with the one RAM Stick? Pushed to make sure it's clearly in?

Ah great i wondered how to make The pics smaller. Seriously sorry.

Ok im currrntly trying both RAM Single in every slot. So Far nothing good. They click into place, yes

Ah great i wondered how to make The pics smaller. Seriously sorry.

Ok im currrntly trying both RAM Single in every slot. So Far nothing good. They click into place, yes

And it's a very firm click? Just to be sure because sometimes RAM can end up softly seated instead of fully.

Otherwise, that makes me suspect the issue lies elsewhere. Reseated the power cables, and tested the power supply itself?

Another question, my friend just built a new computer with the latest and greatest hardware, but it still only get 40 fps in DOTA 2. Any suggestions on what he should be doing to fix this?

Download the 3DMark demo and check to make sure your friend's PC is getting scores in the ballpark of its specs. The benchmark will give you average recorded scores for your CPU and GPU.

Check to make sure the CPU is fully connected to the fan or cooler too. Really completely connected, not just mostly with a few pins pushed in.

dr_mario

And it's a very firm click? Just to be sure because sometimes RAM can end up softly seated instead of fully.

Otherwise, that makes me suspect the issue lies elsewhere. Reseated the power cables, and tested the power supply itself?
I will now. Btw yes, the Fans spin Full, they dont stop. Forgot to answer that One. In my eyes, the click is very satisfying

I will now. Btw yes, the Fans spin Full, they dont stop. Forgot to answer that One. In my eyes, the click is very satisfying

Okay, then that would suggest the issue isn't in the power supply, as you're getting a sustained performance on the fans. At the very least, electricity is passing through the motherboard to the fan headers.

Reseated the CPU yet?

dr_mario

Nope, not yet. Installing the cooler was such a fight i want to try that As a last resort.

Reseating The power ports i remembered i have a Second Port Thing. I tried Installing both, nothing changed, when i only installed The 8 PIN Thing, nothing happened when i started The System, nothing at all. I suppose i only need The 24pin One, right?

LordAlu

Nope, not yet. Installing the cooler was such a fight i want to try that As a last resort.

Reseating The power ports i remembered i have a Second Port Thing. I tried Installing both, nothing changed, when i only installed The 8 PIN Thing, nothing happened when i started The System, nothing at all. I suppose i only need The 24pin One, right?
You need them both.

Both provide power, so yes, have both installed.

I take it your GPU worked just fine on your previous computer, using the same outputs you're using now?

dr_mario

The gpu is brand new, so I havent tried it on my old PC. But I did use the old card on my New PC. Reseating The cooler and CPU didnt show anything I could've done wrong. So I dont See anything that could ne broken but for the Mainboard. Fucking shit. Maybe I'LL Buy a New mobo Today?

draliko

I have updated the shopping list, does this build sound solid? I'm aiming for 1440p/60fps on a 32chg70 monitor (asap i can buy it). Would like to play destiny2 and some xbox exclusives too at 1440p/60fps (coming from a 2500k@4.0ghz 8gb ram).

Do you think could be possible with this build? Otherwise i would simply keep the i5 till it dies and buy a xb1x for the exclusives and 3rd parties (got already a ps4pro) and maybe a new hdr tv.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (€217.19 @ Amazon Italia)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (€43.50 @ Amazon Italia)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M MORTAR ARCTIC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€101.90 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€128.88 @ Amazon Italia)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For €0.00)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (Purchased For €0.00)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For €0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For €0.00)
Total: €491.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-17 15:13 CEST+0200

The gpu is brand new, so I havent tried it on my old PC. But I did use the old card on my New PC. Reseating The cooler and CPU didnt show anything I could've done wrong. So I dont See anything that could ne broken but for the Mainboard. Fucking shit. Maybe I'LL Buy a New mobo Today?

Looks like it may be what you have to do in this case, sorry to say.

Jezbollah

Well. I have now upgraded my PC to a 7700k. And now it and my Strix 1080ti FLIES.

(previously had a 3770k Ivy Bridge - which is evident was a huge bottleneck for the Strix).

GTA V benchmarks are amazing. Gone from 50-90fps to 130-200+ with the Kaby Lake.

If you're thinking about getting a 1080ti, consider if your CPU is up for it.

Top Bottom