• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think the N64 is Nintendo's worst machine and era

mackattk

I remember everyone going absolutely insane over the Mario 64 wavy portrait special effect.. at the time the n64 was super impressive. It might not have aged that well but at the time it was huge.

MagnesD3

Wow! Finally caught up on this massive thread and it seems that general consensus agrees with me on the N64 being Nintendo's worst.
NKq0BiQ.gif

I knew people would try to toss the Flop U under the bus but truth is, the Wii U simply has a better library with some of Nintendo's best 1st party entries and better 3rd party support despite it's short lifespan and is a sleeker looking machine, unlike the Fisher Price design of the N64 imo.

Surprised at the Banjo stans coming out of the woodwork. Were the Banjo games ever considered anything but a stale Mario 64 ripoff? Nuts and Bolts is the first good Banjo game because it tried something new, had a unique art style and wasn't a pale imitation of a better game that played like molasses. So glad was got Nuts and Bolts instead of "Banjo Threeie".

?

Is it not common to throw away old, unwanted systems? I almost don't want to tell you about the perfectly working Dreamcast I threw in the trash in 2015 when I was clearing out my closet to get rid of old clutter...

I dont know what thread your reading...

Synth

I see a lot of angry people that complain about controls.
have you guys tried modding your n64 stick to a gamecube one?
They are about 9 bucks on ebay, and no soldering skills required.
You could also use a Hori MiniPad 64 but they are about 70 bucks.

Oh and how can you hate diddy kong racing?

Seeing as the thread title mentions "era" as well as machine, the Gamecube controllers wouldn't even have existed yet.

I always find it a bit suspect when criticism of a product is met with a suggestion for the users to DIY themselves a fix (same with the DualShock 4 these days). I mean, it should be non-crap when you buy it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Who hates Diddy Kong Racing? That was the best kart racer on the N64.

Mario Kart 64 was terrible. The Mario Kart series didn't become good until Double Dash.

WOAHHH... easy mario kart snes was good.
And mario kart 64 blockfort batllemode was insane.

But yeah diddy kong racing has to be the greatest karting game all time for me.

Spukc

Seeing as the thread title mentions "era" as well as machine, the Gamecube controllers wouldn't even have existed yet.

I always find it a bit suspect when criticism of a product is met with a suggestion for the users to DIY themselves a fix (same with the DualShock 4 these days). I mean, it should be non-crap when you buy it.

the hori minipad released when the n64 was available in stores ;)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
WOAHHH... easy mario kart snes was good.
And mario kart 64 blockfort batllemode was insane.

But yeah diddy kong racing has to be the greatest karting game all time for me.

Mario Kart SNES and GBA were both pretty bad honestly. The flat tracks and slippery controls felt like you were driving on soap.

Diddy Kong Racing is up there but I'd have to place Mario Kart 8 and Crash Team Racing above it (and maybe Sonic All-Stars Transformed).

Do people actually care about Battlemode in Mario Kart though? Not really a point in Mario Kart 64's favor...

My fondest memories of the N64 era were all related to local multiplayer

Star fox, mario kart/golf/tennis/party

San Franciso rush made us laugh till we cryed

Goldeneye.. Nuff said there plus perfect dark turrets and bots

Starcraft 64 lol.

Rpgs? Well one stood out for me among the rest. Ogre Battle 64

Dude if N64 is their worst era than they have had an amazing run in the business. Sure im not playing many N64 classics with my buddies now.

Yeah n64 hasnt aged well and id much rather have remakes of those old games (and thats exactly what we got for the most part) but im not about to shit all over all the positive memories it gave me at the time and pretend its the worst era

AGRacing

Perhaps it's my age ... but even though I had only a small handful of games for the N64, I can't call is the worst Nintendo generation. Can't even call it the second worst.

I think if you weren't at least in your mid-late teens when Mario 64 was first playable in stores - you could never understand how ridiculous that game was. How 'new frontier' it felt. The rest of the system library never really held to that promise - but that single game still redeems it all. For me it was nothing like what Wii brought with Wii Sports - it was way beyond that. I was a die-hard Sony PlayStation convert from SEGA in those days - but I got an N64 right away to play that game. For me to concede Mario 64 was that incredible at that time was a really, really big deal. There may never be a game like that again.

The Beard

Wow! Finally caught up on this massive thread and it seems that general consensus agrees with me on the N64 being Nintendo's worst.
NKq0BiQ.gif

I knew people would try to toss the Flop U under the bus but truth is, the Wii U simply has a better library with some of Nintendo's best 1st party entries and better 3rd party support despite it's short lifespan and is a sleeker looking machine, unlike the Fisher Price design of the N64 imo.

Surprised at the Banjo stans coming out of the woodwork. Were the Banjo games ever considered anything but a stale Mario 64 ripoff? Nuts and Bolts is the first good Banjo game because it tried something new, had a unique art style and wasn't a pale imitation of a better game that played like molasses. So glad was got Nuts and Bolts instead of "Banjo Threeie".

?

Is it not common to throw away old, unwanted systems? I almost don't want to tell you about the perfectly working Dreamcast I threw in the trash in 2015 when I was clearing out my closet to get rid of old clutter...

What's wrong with you? It's never ok to throw away electronics. At the very least, recycle it. Or if you don't want to be an asshole, give it to someone.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I was a die-hard Sony PlayStation convert from SEGA in those days - but I got an N64 right away to play that game. For me to concede Mario 64 was that incredible at that time was a really, really big deal. There may never be a game like that again.

Honestly, between Mario 64 and Final Fantasy VII, I'd argue FFVII was the bigger deal and more revolutionary. Nintendo losing Square was a death blow and FFVII was probably even more iconic and popular at the time, plus it's made a bigger impact over the years. Final Fantasy VII received countless spinoffs and now a full on remake, yet all Mario 64 received was a shoddy DS port with busted controls.

Both were generation and genre defining moments but FFVII > Mario 64.

Just want to point out that you called the console a machine like an old person. That kind of invalidates your argument because old people don't know how to have fun.

What?!?!?!

jahepi

You must be joking, right?

N64 is the console where i spent most of my time, it was just AMAZING

Mario 64, Mario Party, Golden Eye, Diddy Kong Racing, Turok, Mystical Ninja, Star Wars Shadows of Empire, Zelda OOT, Perfect Dark, Pokemon Snap, Castlevania 64, Banjo & Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Hybrid Heaven, Majoras Mask, etc...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I remember everyone going absolutely insane over the Mario 64 wavy portrait special effect.. at the time the n64 was super impressive. It might not have aged that well but at the time it was huge.

Indeed it was. I remember my local Toys R Us had N64 machines lined up with Mario 64 playable. For its time it was incredible.

I cant believe what I'm reading. I havent prchased a nintentdo console since the gamecube, but no way is the 64 their worst console. Goldeneye was groundbreaking for console FPS, M64 was revolutionary in taking a 2d series into 3d space, perfect dark, zelda... hell even if the system ONLY had those 4 games it would automatically stand head and shoulders above a lot of consoles. The controller was the precursor to our modern twin stick controllers. The only dept I really found it lacking was RPGs, but other than that it was a great system. What it lacked in quantity it made up for in quality. TBH I think the Wii is their worst system, even if it sold an insane amount of units. So many Wiis were dust collectors as soon as the holidays were over.

kunonabi

I cant believe what I'm reading. I havent prchased a nintentdo console since the gamecube, but no way is the 64 their worst console. Goldeneye was groundbreaking for console FPS, M64 was revolutionary in taking a 2d series into 3d space, perfect dark, zelda... hell even if the system ONLY had those 4 games it would automatically stand head and shoulders above a lot of consoles. The controller was the precursor to our modern twin stick controllers. The only dept I really found it lacking was RPGs, but other than that it was a great system. What it lacked in quantity it made up for in quality. TBH I think the Wii is their worst system, even if it sold an insane amount of units. So many Wiis were dust collectors as soon as the holidays were over.

I still see Wii's hooked at people's houses hooked up right next to their ps4s and in use. Lots of the mainstream audience skipped the Wii U because they were content to just keep playing the Wii.

I still see Wii's hooked at people's houses hooked up right next to their ps4s and in use. Lots of the mainstream audience skipped the Wii U because they were content to just keep playing the Wii.

That's great for the wii, but I've seen the opposite. It's all anecdotal anyway, but I dont personally know anyone who kept using it past the first 6 months once the novelty of wii sports wore off.

Cyborg

From the financial viewpoint all the consoles after the SNEs were a failuire except Wii. Handhelds is where the succes is made (and software)

No, there is no consensus here. Opinions were very divided among N64, Cube, Wii, WiiU. I personally didn't find much merit in the Wii opinions, but the other systems did have major flaws.

I criticized the N64 controller, and that is the one which almost everybody agrees is Nintendo's worst. The software library is a different story.

Spukc

No, there is no consensus here. Opinions were very divided among N64, Cube, Wii, WiiU. I personally didn't find much merit in the Wii opinions, but the other systems did have major flaws.

I criticized the N64 controller, and that is the one which almost everybody agrees is Nintendo's worst. The software library is a different story.
tell me how mario 64 would play without the triwing of greatness?

Neff

I'd have to go with DS as my least favourite Nintendo machine/era.

The only positives I take away from it are the Resident Evil port and Mario Kart DS. Everything else ranged from merely pleasant to forgettable, and Nintendo's own content was shockingly bland.

Toxi

Banned
I'd have to go with DS as my least favourite Nintendo machine/era.

The only positives I take away from it are the Resident Evil port and Mario Kart DS. Everything else ranged from merely pleasant to forgettable, and Nintendo's own content was shockingly bland.
Pokemon outside of Diamond/Pearl was great on the DS. Platinum, Heartgold/Soulsilver, Black/White, and Black2/White2 are all among the series' best titles.

Jubenhimer

That's great for the wii, but I've seen the opposite. It's all anecdotal anyway, but I dont personally know anyone who kept using it past the first 6 months once the novelty of wii sports wore off.
Last I checked, the Wii had an 8.89 attachment ratio. True, some lost interest, but to say everyone tossed it in a closet is a gross generalization.

Neff

Pokemon outside of Diamond/Pearl was great on the DS. Platinum, Heartgold/Soulsilver, Black/White, and Black2/White2 are all among the series' best titles.

I'm not really into Pokémon (I've only played X and I haven't finished it), but I heard the DS ones were good.

Lynd7

Diddy Kong Racing was awful. I got it as a birthday present, played it once and never again.

I played it properly for the first time a couple of years ago and had a blast with the single player. Once you get into it and learn the mechanics it's really addicting.

Can't wait for 15 years where all the people who are kids now are coming in and saying the PS4 is the worst system. Because it has bad graphics and you have to play it on a TV with a controller. Rinse and repeat.
Nah. GameCube and ps2 have bearable graphics and lots of games still look good. N64 era graphics are just bad even when accounting for the time period.

Honestly I think they should have waited 5 years before going 3D

It's DS for me. Huge library of games that never really hooked me in. I should note I was struggling to enjoy Pokemon by that point and could never enjoy the DS Zelda control scheme.

The 3DS by comparison, in my opinion, is spectacular.

Indelible

I would put the N64 over Wii U but it was definitely disappointing after the SNES. There is no denying that N64 had some great games but it didn't hold a candle to the PS1 in terms of variety and quality of the library.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Replay some SNES games. Most of them have aged TERRIBLY especially RPGs. Final Fantasy 4, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire 1, Breath of Fire 2, Tales of Phantasia, Illusion of Gaia, Lufia are almost unplayable now. Castlevania 4, F-Zero, Donkey Kong Country, Star Fox, Super Mario Kart, even A Link to the Past are showing its age. And tbh I think Chrono Trigger isn't that great outside its combat mechanics.

The SNES might be the most overrated console of all time.

Wow this is a terribl post. All games mentioned here are masterpieces and have aged tremendously. And thats coming from a guy who did not own a Snes growing up but have bought and played them all as a grown up, often instead of contemporary offerings. Simply because they are more enjoyable.

Ammogeddon

I would put the N64 over Wii U but it was definitely disappointing after the SNES. There is no denying that N64 had some great games but it didn't hold a candle to the PS1 in terms of variety and quality of the library.

I recall when I had an N64 and went over to my mates who had a PS1. I was a bit of a Nintendo fanboy and had been quite dismissive of Sony bringing a console into the market. But once I spent the day playing a few PS1 games I was pretty impressed. I think I finally made the jump over for Vagrant Story. The PS1 had a massive games library, some great some bad.

The release of the PS1 changed the console gaming landscape and sadly this and the wii made me stop loving Nintendo. I'll always look back on the N64 as being a great console with great games though.

Νo that would be the Wii U.

Seriously, the N64 had holes in it's library but the N64 highs were on another level compared to PS and Saturn at the time. More than that, games like GoldenEye or Mario 64 or OoT radically changed videogames and laid the groundwork for genres to evolve.

I can sort of agree with some of this. In a list of top-15 games, I think the N64 is way better than its competitors and up there with the best ever. Up that to top-30, and the volume of games to choose from on, say, Sony consoles, means you'll probably find games just as good. Make it top-50 and you'll likely be struggling to think of N64 games near the end, so the PS games will be way ahead of whatever N64 crap you're using to fill up the list.

I do think more N64 games have aged well than on PlayStation, though.

This is my thinking as well.
When you are a kid only 4 or 5 games a year you wanted was still probably more than you would get.

N64 from launch to Dreamcast is as fun and amazing as gaming has ever been. Fall '99-01 the N64 still had many games come out but the magic of Mario 64, GoldenEye and Ocarina of Time was near impossible to rebottle.

In retrospect, I kind of understand N64 being lambasted a bit these days. But damn if my nostalgia-goggles ain't as pink as a monkey's bottom. N64 was the lifeline of our broken family back in the day - me, my sister and my dad would play Mario Kart 64 regularly, helping us have fun amidst the divorce. Then I would take the console to my mom's place and we would have weekend-long Goldeneye marathons with a few good friends.

Add to that the phenomenal Mario 64 and Lylat Wars, not to mention the two Zeldas, Doom 64, the Duke 3D port ( dat multiplayer ), Turok ( fog and all ), F-Zero X and so on... For me, it was a glorious console.

Zweisy1

Playing Mario 64 for the first time is still the most mindblowing experience I've had in my nearly 30 years of gaming..

Plus it had Waverace 64 which is pretty much the best racing game of all time.

It might have lacked in quantity of good stuff to play all the time and there were some long droughts.. I still feel it was a special console though and the best games on were just amazing for the time.

Mario 64
Zelda OOT
Goldeneye
Majora's Mask
StarFox 64
Perfect Dark
Waverace 64
Banjo Kazooie
Conker
F-Zero X
Mario Kart 64 (my least favourite MK but battle mode was amazing)
Smash Bros
Diddy Kong Racing
WWF/WCW games from AKI
Blast Corps
Paper Mario
ISS'98

I'm not really one for list replies but damm I can't understand how anyone could slate a console with the above games on it, especially when I would say most of those have aged well too.

Synth

I'm not really one for list replies but damm I can't understand how anyone could slate a console with the above games on it, especially when I would say most of those have aged well too.

Because (ignoring how Conker, MK64, GoldenEye and Perfect Dark have aged)... it's rather easy to create a list at least that long (and likely with better genre flexibility) on pretty much any console worth its salt (so not stuff like Jaguar obviously).

Celine

From the financial viewpoint all the consoles after the SNEs were a failuire except Wii. Handhelds is where the succes is made (and software)
Not true at all because Nintendo usually sold the hardware at a profit and software/accessories related to the home console generate profits too.
If , as you state, home consoles after the SNES were financial failures then you would see a sharp fall in the profits and revenues from the SNES years to the N64 years but this didn't happen (the two gaussian bell are roughly comparable):

(as you can see the only troubled era from a financial point of view is the current one with 3DS and WiiU).

The high margin products in the videogame industry are software (first party software is obviously more profitable than royalties) and accessories.
Historically home consoles sold more software and accessories on average per system.
For example GBA sold about 81 million units while N64 just 33 million units however Nintendo sold much more first-party software on N64 compared to GBA:

d6BtzSi.png

Nah bro, Wii U is significantly worse. I haven't touched mine sense about a week after Mario maker. Nintendos output on the console is just weak all around. Obviously this is just my opinion and nostalgia might be factoring in. But I've had every Nintendo system sense Nes and have good memories with all of them but the Wii U.

Top Bottom