• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think very few games top Def Jam Fight For NY, when it comes to presentation.

I won't get deep into it, not that bright, and everything I will say has been said already.

But seriously, the soundtrack selection, how it's implemented into the game through the loading screens, stores and menus. The excellent sound effects.

How the game does justice to pretty much every rapper/artist/celebrity in the game, design, personality and gameplay wise (Also a lot of the rappers put a lot of effort into voice acting themselves, you can tell they were having fun)

The hilarious but genuinely well constructed and paced plot.
The FANTASTIC boss fights, team battles.

It's SO good.
Not gonna say it's a perfect game, very few are. But any top 100 list should arguably have Def Jam in it.

images

images

Last edited:
This and nfl street were THE party games back in the day, felt so good to play.

I remember that one stage where you're circled by a crowd and they'd shove and kick you back into the ring if you went to far. Thought that was so cool, plus the badass heat moves

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Snoop Dog, Sean Paul, Sticky Fingarz and one that looks like it says Joe Biden?
None of these could fight their way out of a wet paper bag but I'm guessing it's like Celebrity Death Match or WWF?

How does this compare to 50 cent blood on the sand? That game was hilarious.

Last edited:
I would never call any of the 50 Cent games good 😂 By any means.
But they are dumb fun, would totally replay them.

Def Jam's plot is pretty stupid, but it's well put together, and they commit to it hard.

Also, I'm a bit biased here, because I always thought 50 Cent and G-Unit were aggressively lame and dated.
So ignore my opinion.

None of these could fight their way out of a wet paper bag but I'm guessing it's like Celebrity Death Match or WWF?
Have heard this point before, and I never know what to say beyond "It's a video game".

Not trying to invalidate what you are saying, it's just never something that crossed my mind.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Have heard this point before, and I never know what to say beyond "It's a video game".

Not trying to invalidate what you are saying, it's just never something that crossed my mind.

What I mean I like:
Are they trying to use it to punch up people realistically or do they go full on Celebrity Death Match antics?

Like Snoop Dog can have a special move called "Smoke Screen Everyday" where he puffs a joint and blows smoke it the guys face, then while he's disoriented kicks him in the balls.

Sean Paul can have an ultimate moved called "Temperature" where he go like "bading bading ooh shake dat ting" then the enemy says "The fuck? I didn't understand a word of that" but while confused, he crouches behind them and shoves a huge bovine thermometer up their ass and their internal temperature gets so hot the enemy blows up.

Last edited:

DryvBy

The game really wasn't about that. It was more just about urban fake wrestling using the rap East vs West rivalry type stuff to fight. It's literally just an arcade wrestling game.

This game is so good.

As for someone talking above with Icon. Icon just tried to do something else and it fell flat. And the graphics being less cartoony really took you out of the mood for over the top wrestling. There wasn't even as many rappers if I remember, or rappers I knew.

NBA Street did the same thing as Icon. It went from a super fun over the top arcade game to an arcade game with less extreme moves and ugly real graphics. Not really that great of a game.

What I mean I like:
Are they trying to use to pretend to punch up people realistically or do they go full on Celebrity Death Match antics?

Like Snoop Dog can have a special move called "Smoke Screen Everyday" where he puffs a joint and blows smoke it the guys face, then while he's disoriented kicks him in the balls.

Sean Paul can have an ultimate moved called "Temperature" where he go like "bading bading ooh shake dat ting" then the enemy says "The fuck? I didn't understand a word of that" but while confused, he crouches behind them and shoves a huge bovine thermometer up their ass and their internal temperature gets so hot the enemy blows up.
Oh, I misunderstood you, sorry! I thought you played it.

No, it's a mix of both, actually. Snoop doesn't have that special move, unfortunately.
The general moves are pretty grounded, but the grabs and special moves can get pretty goofy (in a good way).

And most of the hilarity of the game comes from a guy like Snoop or a gal like Carmen Electra doing martial art moves and poses.

Sometimes the game is intentionally goofy and over the top, and others is unintentionally goofy.

Top Bottom