• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idina Menzel confirms Frozen 2 in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

This is what I want from the sequel
I know I've said this on gaf before
:

It's discovered that Anna and Elsa aren't really sisters, and Anna was really the daughter of beloved servants of the royal family that died in some tragedy. There are hijinks and adventures and by the end of it the girls discover that they're in love with each other. That's right parents! You let your daughter dress up as a lesbian! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Vashetti

Banned
Just when you thought everyone singing Let It Go was over, comes a new film that will make your ears bleed money. Frozen 2: Meet Your Ice Age. Follow Elsa and that other chick no one cares about, as they follow a plot outlined with a song every five minutes your kids, uncles, aunts and everyone in the world will try to cover on YouTube horribly.

Follow the enchanting tale as Elsa and the rest meet new characters your kids will want stuffed animals of next Xmas- because was timed the release of the movie and DVD so you can't ever forget about the fact this movie exists. Ever.

Frozen 2: Meet Your Ice Age. Coming to theaters literally as fast as we can make it so we don't lose out on this opportunity.

This reads exactly how I imagine the Honest Trailer would sound.

Timbuktu

Yeah, it'd be down right silly for them not to the way this prints money.

They shouldn't be in a hurry though, they would have to get it right or risk harming the franchise and their animation department isn't lacking in work anyway.

I would think getting the Broadway show on stage (or ice?) could potentially be the bigger money spinner if they pull a Lion King ($6 billion?) and that is probably their priority right now.

BokehKing

Banned
Where can you possibly go with the story? The first movie was a mess, plot wise, but at least it didn't tease a sequel.

I guess the positive is that the sequel will likely focus more on Elsa, and not Anna.
Wtf???

"the first movie was a mess plot wise"

Bro, it's a kids movie, it was adorable, and it was super enjoyable, and you're nitpicking plot points haha, come on man

Have elsa meet up with Jack Frost and call it a day

Pepboy

Where can you possibly go with the story? The first movie was a mess, plot wise, but at least it didn't tease a sequel.

I guess the positive is that the sequel will likely focus more on Elsa, and not Anna.

My guess:
  • Snow power girl finds a guy who also goes through power troubles
  • Non-power girl marries that reindeer guy after some relationship troubles
  • Troll society has some larger problem -- under attack or something. Trolls turning to stone or something non lethal but still a threat.

They might time-skip and show the kids of the sisters but I think that's best saved for a TV spinoff or the third film.

edit: After reading some comments above, I do think that Disney might, might possibly develop the snow power girl into a lesbian character. I think Frozen got a lot of praise when some mistakingly thought one of the minor characters was gay. Disney would probably be widely praised for "bucking trends" (about 20 years too late), though some critics would take issue with the fact that it's the "snow queen" who turned out to be gay. I could see some handholding and dancing / singing, with maybe one very quick kiss later on in the movie. Would continue snow girl's quest for self-acceptance and freedom. But on the other hand, the fact that the other main character of the series is a sister might make Disney decide to save that trump card for a different movie; maybe a secondary character.

Maybe instead the film can revolve around adoption? Maybe one of the troll children whose parents are attacked?

Pepboy

There will be so many think pieces about folks being angry Elza has a love interest.

I'm hoping complete duds like Mulan 2 have taught them not to play it too safe with their characters in sequels -- the "let's find every character a romantic relationship" plot is just so vapid. I could see Disney switching it up with being Elsa being a lesbian or perhaps "adopting" in a sense.

Maybe a baby is left at the castle -- the no-power sister and her reindeer boyfriend quickly adopt it. Power sister is busy running the castle at first. But it turns out the reindeer boyfriend and non-power sister are not that good at raising the child.

It turns out the child is also cursed (or whatever) and has some weird power. Power sister and the child bond over this over the years, until she becomes the de facto mother (but won't admit it). But then something evil comes to try and take the child away, maybe while the sisters fight a bit about how to raise the child.

We learn that the birth mother gave the baby to the sisters in order to protect her/him. We learn this and the three work together with the whole crew, but at some point the birth mother will die. The sisters learn to work together to fight the enemy and the reindeer guy gets married to non-power girl.

edit: Comedy relief provided by baby/toddler with powers and todder + Olaf interactions.

Kinyou

This is what I want from the sequel
I know I've said this on gaf before
:

It's discovered that Anna and Elsa aren't really sisters, and Anna was really the daughter of beloved servants of the royal family that died in some tragedy. There are hijinks and adventures and by the end of it the girls discover that they're in love with each other. That's right parents! You let your daughter dress up as a lesbian! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
As long as there's hot and steamy sex I'm in.

Cheerilee

Sequels have been getting a really bad rap lately, especially around Disney.

The most common complaint I've noticed is that they're "unnecessary", but really, just about every sequel is unnecessary. Star Wars (the first one) was a complete movie, and Empire Strikes Back wasn't needed. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was a complete movie/book. Godfather was complete after one movie. Back to the Future was complete after one movie. I don't think there's any real difference in sequel-quality between a good movie that earns a sequel by being awesome, and an incomplete movie that demands one upfront.

In regards to Disney, people tend to point to two studios, Pixar and Disneytoon.

Disneytoon was a studio tasked by Eisner to generate huge profits by milking any IP that had any value in it, and they worked under terrible conditions, forced to make movies with shoestring budgets with no time to work. The people who made Pocahontas 2 weren't even allowed to watch the original movie before making a sequel to it (Disney was lucky that some of them had seen the original movie in the theaters when it came out, and sort of got the gist of what movie they were supposed to be making). After Lasseter came in and fired the studio head, Disneytoon knocked it out of the park four times in a row, with Tinkerbell 1-4. I won't defend Tinkerbell #5, but it's no worse than Disneytoon's previous output, so they've obviously still got some junk in their system, but four good movies in a row is shockingly good for this studio, and IMO, it clearly draws a line between the Eisner era's approach to crappy DTV sequels and modern day Disney.

Pixar didn't have the sequel rights to their movies until they merged with Disney, and now that they have them, they're making the movies that they want to make, which includes sequels. Unfortunately, their sequels don't have a very good track record, but I think this has more to do with the studio, and not the concept of sequels by themselves. Pixar is seemingly in a slump, and they're putting out movies that they think are good, but the audience doesn't agree. It might also have something to do with the audience expecting a constant stream of unique innovation from Pixar, based on their pre-Disney lack of sequels, and the wide variety of their movies. This is an issue that Pixar needs to figure out, not some sort of mystical curse placed on Disney sequels.

IMO, one of the strongest things Frozen had going for it was that it was essentially another Tangled. It's already a sequel! I wouldn't mind seeing more from the other castles shown on the world map in Tangled, but Frozen 2 is fine by me, so long as WDAS can find a good movie in that idea.

Zukuu

Banned
Meh. Frozen only had a single decent song. "Let's build a snowman". The rest was meh and the movie / story overall was really meh. Why not make it straight to DVD like they do with their other franchises, once they decide to slaughter them?

Herr K

Banned
They should just let it die. The story has no place for a second part, they're basically going to fuck the franchise up.

...but they will make money.

Ecto311

Good make more and if it sucks I can forget about it and block it. Like the fact there is only 2 ninja turtle movies out.

I didn't like frozen anyway. I can never get behind a movie that turns to music every few minutes anyway. My daughter wasn't even that big of a fan. Wish megamind would get a part 2.

Zombine

Banned
If there is any request I have, it's for more badass Elsa fights. She's basically a fairytale mutant, and that was the absolute highlight of the film for me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
My guess:
  • Snow power girl finds a guy who also goes through power troubles
  • Non-power girl marries that reindeer guy after some relationship troubles
  • Troll society has some larger problem -- under attack or something. Trolls turning to stone or something non lethal but still a threat.

They might time-skip and show the kids of the sisters but I think that's best saved for a TV spinoff or the third film.

edit: After reading some comments above, I do think that Disney might, might possibly develop the snow power girl into a lesbian character. I think Frozen got a lot of praise when some mistakingly thought one of the minor characters was gay. Disney would probably be widely praised for "bucking trends" (about 20 years too late), though some critics would take issue with the fact that it's the "snow queen" who turned out to be gay. I could see some handholding and dancing / singing, with maybe one very quick kiss later on in the movie. Would continue snow girl's quest for self-acceptance and freedom. But on the other hand, the fact that the other main character of the series is a sister might make Disney decide to save that trump card for a different movie; maybe a secondary character.

Maybe instead the film can revolve around adoption? Maybe one of the troll children whose parents are attacked?

Fix the first movie and have Christof end up with Elsa. Girls got an ice problem, and the guy loves ice.

adj_noun

The first time I got a real look at how popular Frozen is was at the Disney theme parks.

It was a sea of blue dresses. Every little girl in the world was there and dressed as Elsa. Mothers were hip checking each other to get into the hour and a half long "Meet Anna and Elsa" line.

My brain combined this thread title with the thread title above it, and I ended up with something like "Idina Menzel racist; fired from Frozen 2."

They need to give Elsa a female love interest and have them kiss on screen. Having them getting married at the end would even be better.

No pussying around, Disney ! Go progressive on that shit !

The Lion King almost made a billion dollars. Why didn't Disney ever give it a proper sequel?

Probably because John Lasseter wasn't working for them at the time.

vareon

Frozen 2: Freeze Harder
Frozen 3: Total Meltdown
Frozen 4: Ice to Meet You

........followed by a spinoff of whatever character appeared in the second movie.

4Tran

It's animation, so "they're working on it" means even less than it does for regular films. It might just mean that the producers are thinking out loud about a sequel, but there's no actual pre-production or even schedule in place yet. By those standards, Frozen has been "worked on" by Disney since the 1940s. Until an animated work is formally announced, it's easier to assume that it ain't coming out. Frozen is also the one franchise that Disney will treat with kid gloves: until and unless they are assured of the sequel's quality, they won't make it.

Fix the first movie and have Christof end up with Elsa. Girls got an ice problem, and the guy loves ice.
That would make no sense - they never even talk to each other.

WillyFive

Its interesting, Lasseter shut down all the sequels in production when he got the job at Disney; guess he couldn't win against investors.

mreddie

Let It Rain!

giphy.gif

4Tran

Its interesting, Lasseter shut down all the sequels in production when he got the job at Disney; guess he couldn't win against investors.
He shut down all of the Direct to Video sequels because they tended to be bad, and bad sequels end up diluting the brand.

Okay, my guesses:

We find out where Elsa got her powers, from an evil witch who threatens the world.

OR

We find out Elsa's powers are getting weaker or something, and Olaf is in danger! The race to save Olaf is on!

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
If there is any request I have, it's for more badass Elsa fights. She's basically a fairytale mutant, and that was the absolute highlight of the film for me.

Elsa is an Inhuman, Frozen 2 is a Marvel Cinematic Universe film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom