• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(IGN) More Mario Tennis Screens (56k Beware)

Trevelyon

mario-tennis-20040901104708696.jpg

mario-tennis-20040901104709602.jpg

mario-tennis-20040901104719789.jpg

mario-tennis-20040901104718211.jpg

mario-tennis-20040901104656649.jpg

mario-tennis-20040901104702181.jpg

mario-tennis-20040901104703071.jpg

mario-tennis-20040901104713461.jpg

mario-tennis-20040901104712430.jpg

mario-tennis-20040901104711602.jpg

mario-tennis-20040901104703884.jpg

mario-tennis-20040901104715399.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The mario and luigi models are crazy good. *Almost* like those CG models used in promo material.

Memles

Another new Regular Tennis Shot. Woo.

Looks really quite great. Can't wait. Just want to know more before being prepared to Mikami for it; I don't want to change into older pants quite yet.

Fatalah

mario-tennis-20040901104656649.jpg

Looks great, although look at chomper! I'm sick of the n64 textures!

Super Mario Sunshine was an awesome game, its animation was great. But c'mon, howcome Nintendo isn't the cutting edge of graphics anymore? although, these shots really are great, its still just a tennis game!

Speevy

Banned
Fatalah said:

Super Mario Sunshine was an awesome game, its animation was great. But c'mon, howcome Nintendo isn't the cutting edge of graphics anymore?[/QUOTE]

Nintendo was [b]never[/b] at the cutting edge of graphics.

Mario 64 and OoT were just two of the few competent looking console games at the time, so people interpreted that to mean Nintendo actually cares about leading the graphics race.

Fatalah

Nintendo touted games on the SNES, Yoshi's Island was beautiful for example. What about Donkey Kong Country? And then there's Super Mario 64, the first fully 3d game. I mean, graphics...cutting edge....Nintendo games are first and foremost fun--but they always were on top of their competition ya know?

Society said:
"They never were."

SuperFX chip says you are wrong.

Well, that's the exception that proves the rule. Still SuperFX games looked pretty primitive compared to home computer games at the time.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
A billion Boos, that multi-armed octopus from SMS. What kinds of crazy shit are going on? Can't wait!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The raquet halos seem to be some kind of power bar. I imagine that when the halo wraps all the way around, you can unleash a super move, thereby depleting it. Cool.

Memles

I want plenty of impressions from the UK trade shows. I just hope it's not just the German Demo thrown back out there; we saw that already. At least, we can hope someone plays some normal tennis and gets some on film.

Deg

Banned
Memles said:
I want plenty of impressions from the UK trade shows. I just hope it's not just the German Demo thrown back out there; we saw that already. At least, we can hope someone plays some normal tennis and gets some on film.

You'll hear many impressions. RE4 was at ECTS apparently. Only one stand... ECTS is getting upstaged basicaly.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
It's bound to be the demo they showed in Germany, there'd be no point in creating another one for events so close together.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
...they don't look anything like 8-bit NES sprites to me. It would have been cool if they were, but I'm not seeing it.

Memles

Mama Smurf said:
...the don't look anything like 8-bit NES sprites to me. It would have been cool if they were, but I'm not seeing it.

Ditto.

I'm sure it will be the same demo...but why were there no really detailed impressions? IGN seemed to be focused on the Special Moves and new info only, but there was never a really detailed "I clicked on this, this mode seemed to be this" personal impressions. Hopefully, in the UK, we'll get some of that.

Speevy

Banned
Memles said:
Ditto.

I'm sure it will be the same demo...but why were there no really detailed impressions? IGN seemed to be focused on the Special Moves and new info only, but there was never a really detailed "I clicked on this, this mode seemed to be this" personal impressions. Hopefully, in the UK, we'll get some of that.

Same with Paper Mario.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, more of the same, bla bla bla.

That means original MT review minus .5 - .7.

Deg

Banned
I played the demo. It was quite good. I enjoyed it even if i couldnt figure out much :p . Only played multiplayer. :) looking forward to it.

jarrod

Banned
Speevy said:
Nintendo was never at the cutting edge of graphics.
Super Mario Bros? Super Mario Bros 3? StarFox? Donkey Kong Country? Nice to see you explain away their N64 milestones as simply competent for the time though. ;)

gofreak said:
The mario and luigi models are crazy good. *Almost* like those CG models used in promo material.

Um these graphics are the closest I have EVER seen to CG models. I almost can't believe the graphics can be this good!

I must pick up this game. Had fun with the 64 version but never bought it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I cannot believe someone started bitching about Nintendo graphics in a thread with screenshots like this.

Memles

Deg said:
I played the demo. It was quite good. I enjoyed it even if i couldnt figure out much :p . Only played multiplayer. :) looking forward to it.

Did anyone use the special moves in your time playing? If they did, did the animations interrupt play?

Where are these so called amazing graphics? These looks like the same character models from Mario Golf TT. They are great colorful graphics obviously in the Mario style but hardly amazing.

Deg said:

Lucky git, asuming you figered out the special moves, what kind of impact had they on gameplay? Did they slow the game down etc...

Memles

Chibbi Brady said:
Lucky git, asuming you figered out the special moves, what kind of impact had they on gameplay? Did they slow the game down etc...

Memles said:
Did anyone use the special moves in your time playing? If they did, did the animations interrupt play?

Great minds think alike, sir.

This question is my only real apprehension about the game, I hope someone takes the time to address it.

Top Bottom