• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(IGN) More Mario Tennis Screens (56k Beware)

Mine too. Once that's figured out I can relax. You obviously loved the N64 as much as I did. Without doubt my favourite multiplayer game, so this has been my most anticipated title ever since they were announced all those years ago. Seriously it feels like around 10 years since the first scans in famitsu showed up.

It's out next month in Japan as well. I think it's the 28th, I was going to import but the US version is out on Nov 7 so I'll wait for that instead. Hopefully someone will be able to get a bit longer on the game and give us a full lowdown on the special moves.

Memles

Chibbi Brady said:
Mine too. Once that's figured out I can relax. You obviously loved the N64 as much as I did. Without doubt my favourite multiplayer game, so this has been my most anticipated title ever since they were announced all those years ago. Seriously it feels like around 10 years since the first scans in famitsu showed up.

It's out next month in Japan as well. I think it's the 28th, I was going to import but the US version is out on Nov 7 so I'll wait for that instead. Hopefully someone will be able to get a bit longer on the game and give us a full lowdown on the special moves.

I had known Mario Tennis was coming (I was like 12, 13 when it was released) but I was surprised to find a demo in the local Wal-Mart. played as Waluigi against someone or other...and really enjoyed it. I hadn't been looking forward to it too much, but I was suddenly hyped. Got my copy, and really liked the game. Hell, I played the hell out of the game SINGLE player and had a fair amount of multiplayer game and still enjoy playing it every now and then.

I've already decided that this will be the one full price game I buy between now and Christmas, simply because I don't see myself waiting until Christmas for this one. Simply don't see it happening. Concerns with the special moves or not.

snapty00

Banned
SpoonyBard said:
They never were.
Speevy said:
Nintendo was never at the cutting edge of graphics.
You people have some very warped senses of history. It's like you totally forgot that Nintendo made systems before Nintendo 64.

Until GameCube was released, Nintendo was single-handedly outputting the most impressive graphics on mainstream consoles. That included NES, Super NES, and Nintendo 64. It wasn't just because it had the more powerful system. It was because they did whatever it took to have the best-looking games, which included having kickass programmers and artists, taking the time needed to make the graphics good, rejecting games that weren't graphically up-to-par (including Yoshi's Island initially), and adding chips to their cartridges.

"Nintendo was single-handedly outputting the most impressive graphics on mainstream consoles."

Not completely true, especially last generation. RARE had Nintendo beat on every game they had a similar game too (BK > Mario 64, DKR > Mario Kart 64). Nintendo did extremely well though, especially stuff like 1080 and Wave Race which still hold up today.

snapty00

Banned
I agree that Rare's games looked good, but in those examples you gave, Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong Racing both came out later than their Nintendo counterparts.

Last generation, Nintendo was the undisputed king of water with Wave Race 64. There was not a single console game, in my opinion, that could touch that water last generation. The water in Blue Storm isn't even all that impressive, though. It's a huge change, and the environments and character models in Blue Storm is very poor.

1080 Avalanche doesn't even begin to compare to the original 1080.

Super Mario 64 floored me; Super Mario Sunshine was barely comparable to the best PlayStation 2 platformers.

Super Smash Bros. Melee, made by HAL, was a big improvement over the original Smash Bros. It didn't floor me, but it looked fairly impressive.

Mario Tennis and Mario Golf by Camelot look a lot better than their Nintendo 64 counterparts, but they are ironically held back by Nintendo in the fact that they have to make the Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion stages of these games look the way Nintendo had them.

Come on now. Super Mario World was no where near the excellence of Sonic in terms of pure visual design. At the time of SMWs release Act Raiser and Super Ghouls and Ghosts were out and were far prettier games. Nintendo's game design was hard to beat or even argue about.

Mario 64 was and remains a wonderful piece of work as that is a complete case of using technology, design, and art to create a seamless visual design. I give Nintendo full credit for that.

On the NES front there were many technically impressive works that eclipsed much of Nintendo's own games visually. Double Dragon was shockingly impressive when it was released especially the 1 on 1 portion of the game. Konami's Track and Field 2 was amazing for the time as well.

All that being said, The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros are near perfect works of art. Yoshi's Island is also quite remarkable and has aged amazingly well.

Top Bottom