• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

orioto said:
Well that's great then, great artists doesn't need any Ghz to run!

starry-night.jpg

0GHz!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Lonely1 said:
Then, what are you basing your much "vastly inferior" assessment? RAM amounts and reported CPU speed? :/ Then, the 3DS has half of the amount of the iTouch4, but its of way higher quality and doesn't have more than half of it consumed by the OS, when not multitasking...
Not sure if this has changed, but iOS games used to be limited to less than 128 MB of RAM.

His comparison, anyway, makes no sense. iPhone and iPod Touch are completely different devices with a completely different purpose. If you're not comparing the games because "mobile games lol, they obviously look worse", then what are you comparing in the first place?

Instro said:
Source? Would be the most lolworthy thing Ive ever heard if true.

Has Apple ever thought to jump into the console hardware realm? They might as well as everyone seems to have an apple hard on these days. At the very least, the console would be goddamn sexy.

Hiro said:
There is no point in proceeding into the next-gen if your system can't run Samaritan. Epic has said, if next gen consoles from Sony, Nintendo and Microshit can't run Samaritan, they will turn to Apple. Sweeney has already pointed out how impressed he is with Apple's A5 chip and that what Apple comes up with next will exceed the next gen consoles coming from the three aforementioned folks (Nintendo, Sony, Micro-something).

Hang on. Sorry. There's no point proceeding to the next gen if it can't run Samaritan? Thats not logical. Theres no great loss to anybody to fall short of that technology. Oh, Epic won't continue to build engines for lesser-powered machines? Did I miss the part where they said they hated money?

They may well turn to Apple in 2014 for some massive hardware. But they will absolutely play ball with everybody else on the consoles. Companies don't have grudges, they have relationships or a lack of relationships.

Also, don't shorten Microsoft to your other choices. This isn't that type of gaming forum. We don't do that sort of thing here.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Jocchan said:
Not sure if this has changed, but iOS games used to be limited to less than 128 MB of RAM.

His comparison, anyway, makes no sense. iPhone and iPod Touch are completely different devices with a completely different purpose. If you're not comparing the games because "mobile games lol, they obviously look worse", then what are you comparing in the first place?
By that same measure you could argue that PCs aren't more powerful than consoles since the vast majority of their games look identical to console games. That would clearly be cherry picking your examples as we all know from games like the Witcher 2 and Crysis that PCs are much more powerful than consoles.

I always considered Mario Galaxy/2 to be two of the best looking games ever made, and with people outlining just how shit the Wii's hardware really is, it's just got that little bit more impressive now.

apana

herzogzwei1989 said:
I forgot about Metroid.....Heh, Retro could go nuts with Metroid Prime 4 or a Metroid reboot, giving us incredible visuals at 60fps!

Retro isn't going back to Metroid, they already said so.

Syferz

Banned
The 4850 with GDDR5 (or greater) should actually perform pretty close to the 4870, the R770 btw is probably the best option for an architecture simply because DX11 compliant made the 5000 and even 6000 series less efficient. It will also likely be made on the 28nm process, shrinking the original chip by 50%, the 28nm process has been used by AMD for their Fusion E350 and sold over 3M chips so far, this was manufactured late last year.

Also an older architecture is easier to shrink, which is why the e350 was made on AMD's K8's since they were easier to shrink down for efficiency.

Seeing as how the thing is as big as the original 360, it's likely that the TDP will be about 150watts, the 360's was 160w. (and the overheating problem was actually a warping problem to the cheap cooler rather then the GPU chip overheating.) That being the case, it's likely the modified 4850 is likely to be even more powerful then the 4850 you can buy, likely an over clock, remember early dev kits are usually scrapped together pieces and usually change when the final hardware comes out. (almost always for the better, but my memory is fuzzy with the ps3's dev kits being stronger?)

So let me make this clear, the HD4850 with @ or over 1Teraflop performance inside a closed system will see graphics on par with anything on a PC coded in DX11, thanks to INEFFICIENCY of coding at such a high level on top of a huge OS, you code just above the hardware on a closed system that a console provides, and the 4800 series is fully capable of all those shiny new features of the 6000 series, including arguably the most important one (Tessellation).

Seeing them use the 4850 in a dev kit likely means they are going to put 2GB of unified ram in it, probably XDR ram and not GDDR5, (though 1GB will only hurt resolution of ports from the next sony and mircosoft consoles that will likely use 2GB ram) it might also still have some T1 ram for BC, they might even run the OS on it and use it for streaming to the screens as well, it would be a smart way to not take a large hit to performance when displaying basically 2 1080p screens, which btw would allow it to be able to produce 3D images as well, virtually no reason why it won't support the tech at some point in the future, even the PS3 can do that, and the Gamecube had the ability.

I'm excited about this box, it's going to be a huge leap for Nintendo, and the only thing I'm worried about is the 8GB internal storage rumor, it really needs to be at least 16GB, and should stay flash for the faster load times and instant on feature that the Wii has.

Syferz said:
The 4850 with GDDR5 (or greater) should actually perform pretty close to the 4870, the R770 btw is probably the best option for an architecture simply because DX11 compliant made the 5000 and even 6000 series less efficient. It will also likely be made on the 28nm process, shrinking the original chip by 50%, the 28nm process has been used by AMD for their Fusion E350 and sold over 3M chips so far, this was manufactured late last year.

Also an older architecture is easier to shrink, which is why the e350 was made on AMD's K8's since they were easier to shrink down for efficiency.

Seeing as how the thing is as big as the original 360, it's likely that the TDP will be about 150watts, the 360's was 160w. (and the overheating problem was actually a warping problem to the cheap cooler rather then the GPU chip overheating.) That being the case, it's likely the modified 4850 is likely to be even more powerful then the 4850 you can buy, likely an over clock, remember early dev kits are usually scrapped together pieces and usually change when the final hardware comes out. (almost always for the better, but my memory is fuzzy with the ps3's dev kits being stronger?)

So let me make this clear, the HD4850 with @ or over 1Teraflop performance inside a closed system will see graphics on par with anything on a PC coded in DX11, thanks to INEFFICIENCY of coding at such a high level on top of a huge OS, you code just above the hardware on a closed system that a console provides, and the 4800 series is fully capable of all those shiny new features of the 6000 series, including arguably the most important one (Tessellation).

Seeing them use the 4850 in a dev kit likely means they are going to put 2GB of unified ram in it, probably XDR ram and not GDDR5, (though 1GB will only hurt resolution of ports from the next sony and mircosoft consoles that will likely use 2GB ram) it might also still have some T1 ram for BC, they might even run the OS on it and use it for streaming to the screens as well, it would be a smart way to not take a large hit to performance when displaying basically 2 1080p screens, which btw would allow it to be able to produce 3D images as well, virtually no reason why it won't support the tech at some point in the future, even the PS3 can do that, and the Gamecube had the ability.

I'm excited about this box, it's going to be a huge leap for Nintendo, and the only thing I'm worried about is the 8GB internal storage rumor, it really needs to be at least 16GB, and should stay flash for the faster load times and instant on feature that the Wii has.

One can only hope. Nice post BTW.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Mr_Brit said:
By that same measure you could argue that PCs aren't more powerful than consoles since the vast majority of their games look identical to console games. That would clearly be cherry picking your examples as we all know from games like the Witcher 2 and Crysis that PCs are much more powerful than consoles.
No. Really. Even then, whats there that makes the 3DS "vastly inferior" in your assessment? (I know, Epic Citadel/Infinity Sword...)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mr_Brit said:
Huh? Sorry, but I'm not following you. I can't see any sense in what you are saying.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Lonely1 said:
No. Really. And whats there that makes the 3DS "vastly inferior" in your assessment? (I know, Epic Citadel/Infinity Sword...)
You just answered your question to me in your own post.

Jocchan said:
Huh? Sorry, but I'm not following you. I can't see any sense in what you are saying.
Really? Lonely1 seems to have understood just fine.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mr_Brit said:
Then you are comparing mobile games to 3DS games, but still dismissed his example earlier.

guek

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Only Sony is losing billions, if it wasn't for RROD, the 360 would have been profitable in a much shorter time than it took. Consoles this gen will also reuse a lot of the same components which weren't in use in the PS2 gen which made the PS3 and 360 more expensive. They're also much more adept at designing hardware now as evidenced by the PS3 slim and 360 slim which are much better designed than the jokes that were the launch PS3 and 360. Sony and MS have no reason to go for $100+ losses from launch like last gen as they'll be using mature technology this time around.

The 360 is finally profitable at the present, but Microsoft is still operating at a net loss in their games division over its entire lifetime. What I mean is that MS has still yet to make a single actual dollar in pure profit for MS after recouping all net losses in the lifetime of the xbox brand.

At this point, what MS and Sony will end up doing is really up in the air. Neither are really in a "good" position because of how costly this gen has become. Developers are closing left and right, and hardware has only recently become manageable and profitable. They could definitely end up going the whole nine yards and putting out $500 consoles that wipe the floor with the IGN rumored specs. But if they did that, they'd most likely

- be working under previous design philosophies of taking a loss on hardware and making a pittance on software

- be working directly against the best interest of the majority of console devs out there, epic and crytek withstanding.

- be directly at odds with the cafe's install base, assuming it does well. If nintendo has a 10 million world wide installed base by the time MS and Sony launch and they're actually able to court back some level of 3rd party support by creating a decent online infrastructure, third parties are going to go multi-platform 9/10 times. Just like with the PS2, they'll cater to the lowest common denominator with the largest install base. This didn't happen with the wii because it was such a shitty platform for most developers.

Let's look at where sony and microsoft game divisions are right now. Sony is hurting, badly.

The PS3 is a financial failure, and with the brand deteriorating on an hourly basis due to the current hacking hooplah, they're just going to keep losing more and more money with their current business model. The only reason the PS2 was profitable at all for them was because of the monumental installed base. But even with that, nintendo ended up making more money than they did during that same period of time. If you're a sony board member, would you really want to continue with the status quo? The NGP points to yes, and sony's games division has been incompetent for years now, so I actually wouldn't be too surprised if they came out with another $599 monster and sunk further into the mud.

As for MS, they'd likely have similar problems with putting out another powerhouse console. Microsoft, like all companies, is only out there to make a buck for themselves, and they'll do so in whatever way they feel is most profitable. Previously they believed that Sony's business model was the most successful. They looked at what made the PS1 so successful and amped that up to 11 for the xbox and the 360. But what about now? Things like kinect and avatars have shown that they're not beyond copying nintendo's successful ideas. You may think that there're in the game for the gamers because of how hardcore-centric the 360 was, but they know that they have a losing strategy going on right now. As much as everyone loves to hate the wii, that thing made bank. That thing set the world on fire in a way the 360 and PS3 never will. Of course microsoft has been paying attention to the wii and the DS. Of course they'll try to emulate that level of success. I fully expect the next xbox to be more powerful than the cafe, but I also think microsoft is smart enough to not play ball directly with Sony again. Nintendo went out and found a better, tastier pie, and microsoft is going to want a piece.

apana said:
Retro isn't going back to Metroid, they already said so.

Never, ever? I think considering how poorly Other M sold, Nintendo might well have them make the next console Metroid. It may not be their next project, but we may well see it as a late Cafe title at least.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Mr_Brit said:
You just answered your question to me in your own post.

I already answered that several times. A game which performance "was best described as variable" (seems to be locked at 35fps in the iPad 2). Which also is so on-rails that you literally only click on the screen to trigger scripted events, you don't have the sightliest control of the camera. And only the texture resolution seem to be "vastly ahead" of what the 3DS currently offers. Ok...

Note: I'm not saying that the 3DS was high end or whatever. But stating that is "vastly behind the curve" is hyperbole. The A5 is a really big jump, though.

Azure J

Syferz said:

I find myself agreeing with a lot of this, but I must ask you, why the belief in XDR over GDDR5?

Also, the Startropics by Retro support in these last threads have been most excellent. =)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Syferz said:
It will also likely be made on the 28nm process, shrinking the original chip by 50%, the 28nm process has been used by AMD for their Fusion E350 and sold over 3M chips so far, this was manufactured late last year.
If it does turn out to be on 28nm that will make things interesting for sure. It should be very efficient in that case, even if it runs faster than original R700 parts. They could stick with 40nm depending on what the yields at 28nm are like.

Syferz said:
The tessellation on the 4800 series was not very efficient was it? Would taking advantage of it at a low level help at all?

Syferz said:
Seeing them use the 4850 in a dev kit likely means they are going to put 2GB of unified ram in it, probably XDR ram and not GDDR5, (though 1GB will only hurt resolution of ports from the next sony and mircosoft consoles that will likely use 2GB ram)
GDDR5 is most likely better from a price/performance standpoint. XDR is faster, but I don't think Nintendo will pay a premium for it. I also don't think it will have 2GB RAM.

User33 said:
Do you not know what "/snark" means, junior?
Seriously

Hiro, Heavy was using sarcasm in the post regarding Acebandage...
Syferz said:
Nintendo loves fast ram, the wii had T1 and GDDR3 inside it, for a console with the power it had, thats blazing ram, so yeah XDR ram is my guess, they might even choose even faster ram, GDDR5 is decent, but not really comparable to Nintendo's choice of ram in the past, of course, they might do something crazy like 256MB T1 ram and 1GB GDDR5 with some embedded ram on the GPU, that would infact be very Nintendo like, and I would support that with a lot of excitement.

1080P simply doesn't require a huge amount of memory.
Yup, most of the impressions I've read from people who have the best cards seem to indicate that 2GB of memory is just right for 1080P production. An extra gig might be useful for loading purposes, but more than 3gigs is just overkill for anything outside of the PC realm in this decade.

Syferz

Banned
Nintendo loves fast ram, the wii had T1 and GDDR3 inside it, for a console with the power it had, thats blazing ram, so yeah XDR ram is my guess, they might even choose even faster ram, GDDR5 is decent, but not really comparable to Nintendo's choice of ram in the past, of course, they might do something crazy like 256MB T1 ram and 1GB GDDR5 with some embedded ram on the GPU, that would infact be very Nintendo like, and I would support that with a lot of excitement.

I was playing Okamiden, and I think Okami 3 for Cafe would be heavenly! It has power to deliver hand-drawn graphics and a touch-screen for drawing commands. It's a no-brainer!

Hiro said:
There is no point in proceeding into the next-gen if your system can't run Samaritan. Epic has said, if next gen consoles from Sony, Nintendo and Microshit can't run Samaritan, they will turn to Apple. Sweeney has already pointed out how impressed he is with Apple's A5 chip and that what Apple comes up with next will exceed the next gen consoles coming from the three aforementioned folks (Nintendo, Sony, Micro-something).
Becaue Apple's consumers are totally fine with $60 games, good luck Epic!

Mr_Brit

Banned
chaosblade said:
If it does turn out to be on 28nm that will make things interesting for sure. It should be very efficient in that case, even if it runs faster than original R700 parts. They could stick with 40nm depending on what the yields at 28nm are like.

The tessellation on the 4800 series was not very efficient was it? Would taking advantage of it at a low level help at all?

GDDR5 is most likely better from a price/performance standpoint. XDR is faster, but I don't think Nintendo will pay a premium for it. I also don't think it will have 2GB RAM.
The tesselator on all AMD GPUs except for the 6900 series is truly awful. Also, anyone who believes Nintendo will go for XDR RAM is crazy.

Syferz said:

A lot of high end games use more than 1GB of VRAM in addition to the hundreds of MBs of system RAM. Nintendo will need at least 1.5GB if they want the machine to pull off something closer to PC games and next gen games.

dwu8991

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
I was playing Okamiden, and I think Okami 3 for Cafe would be heavenly! It has power to deliver hand-drawn graphics and a touch-screen for drawing commands. It's a no-brainer!

Becaue Apple's consumers are totally fine with $60 games, good luck Epic!

Oh God, Okami YES, we have a winner!

apana

Is it safe to say that it will at least be the half generation leap from the PS360 that most were hoping for?

guek

Banned
apana said:
Is it safe to say that it will at least be the half generation leap from the PS360 that most were hoping for?

Probably closer to 3/4, if the IGN rumored specs are true.

Olaeh

Sammy Samusu said:

I would probably hyperventilate.

Even if I didn't put /snark at the end it should have been plainly obvious. That whole sequence was so weird... he was either serious or one of the greatest trolls of all time lol :p

guek

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
The tesselator on all AMD GPUs except for the 6900 series is truly awful. Also, anyone who believes Nintendo will go for XDR RAM is crazy.

A lot of high end games use more than 1GB of VRAM in addition to the hundreds of MBs of system RAM. Nintendo will need at least 1.5GB if they want the machine to pull off something closer to PC games and next gen games.

for the last damn time, pc ram requirements =/= console ram requirements.

Ezalc

Sammy Samusu said:

Only if it's done by Platinum, no fucking way do I want Capcom and their grubby hands on my Okami or any old Clover IP ever again.

NEO0MJ

Heavy said:
Even if I didn't put /snark at the end it should have been plainly obvious. That whole sequence was so weird... he was either serious or one of the greatest trolls of all time lol :p

Too good not to be a troll.

User33 said:
So the latest discussion is that Cafe won't be able to run Samaritan, but the PS4/720 most likely will be able to?

Actually, everybody discussing the Samaritan demo has been injected with the bone marrow of Gunpei Yokoi and June 7, we will all be turned into bokeh depth of field light effects for a ridiculous rock-em cock-em male power fantasy devoid of style but jam-packed full of triangles.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
User33 said:
So the latest discussion is that Cafe won't be able to run Samaritan, but the PS4/720 most likely will be able to?
Most likely than not, the Ps4/720 won't be able to run the Samaritan demon on it's current incarnation. After that there's the speculation that Epic will optimize it to run on a single 580 or equivalent, that such card will be the bare minimum to run UE4, that the Ps4/720 will have such a powerful GPU and that the stars will align in such way that we will have the HDtwins vs Wii situation again.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Syferz said:

I am not sure where you are getting this info about the process used on the E-350. Sure Wikipedia could be wrong but it says it's on 40nm, presumably GloFo's bulk process. As far as AMD GFX goes they have yet to have a 28nm part fabbed for retail, but rumors have it that they are, or soon will be, ramping those parts at TSMC.

I also have it on good authority that TSMC is starting to test a new process for nVidia, at least in the far BEOL. Perhaps this is for a 28nm part, but all I know is that it's a new nVidia part so it could be anything.

Mr_Brit

Banned
guek said:
for the last damn time, pc ram requirements =/= console ram requirements.
Huh? I'm pretty sure that textures are stored very similarly in consoles and PC, in fact, thanks to DX11 PCs can store textures more efficiently than consoles can, e.g. if Witcher 2 needs 1.2GB of VRAM to store the highest textures on PC, it will need the same amount on consoles.

Durante

Mr_Brit said:
People need to stop throwing these numbers around as if they mean anything.
This sums up most of the thread. You simply cannot reduce the performance of a system to a single number, particularly not a theoretical one.

Syferz said:
"1080p" as such doesn't. The assets to make use of it do though. Also, there's the definite trend to offer more OS functionality during games (even for Nintendo with 3DS), and that's almost exclusively a memory issue.

Sianos

I really hope the next big rumor is about the controller: for me how you control the game is the most important part.

That said, Cafe sounds graphically impressive, although I wouldn't know what is and isn't. :p

Heavy said:
He'd be one of the smallfries in my opinion. I've seen the birth of legends and their deaths on this site lol.
Jocchan said:
We'd need a small hw briefing post in every hw-related thread it seems :p
Something like this ought to be a requirement in the rumor megathreads at the very least. I've only lurked on the internet when the last consoles were launching and I have a feeling this place will be brutal if preemptive measures are not taken. :p

Top Bottom