• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Ezalc

I want to know more about the controller too. Pachter talked about the idea that since the controller will have it's own screen could you potentially take it with you and play it as a portable. I thought that was a really interesting idea, and personally I think I'd really like something like that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Must say a 1 gig 4850 is wayyyyy better than the original idea I had for an R700. I was figuring maybe a 4730 or something, but a 4850 is a pretty beastly DX10 card with 1 gig of RAM. It's not gonna be in leagues with the DX11 stuff, but 4850 1 gig basically eats up all the DX10 games out there as well as all of the console stuff that's also on PC.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
wwm0nkey said:
Ok so the new Nintendo system is pretty much going to destroy the PS3 and 360 in terms of graphical power correct?

According to IGN new rumors, yeah I think so, it's generational leap over 360 and PS3.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Totobeni said:
According to IGN new rumors, yeah I think so, it's generational leap over 360 and PS3.
No it's not, assuming those specs it's around 4x faster GPU wise than the 360 which isn't a generational leap.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Wolves Evolve said:
Actually, everybody discussing the Samaritan demo has been injected with the bone marrow of Gunpei Yokoi and June 7, we will all be turned into bokeh depth of field light effects for a ridiculous rock-em cock-em male power fantasy devoid of style but jam-packed full of triangles.
Amazing. This made my night.

1-D_FTW

Mr_Brit said:
The tesselator on all AMD GPUs except for the 6900 series is truly awful. Also, anyone who believes Nintendo will go for XDR RAM is crazy.

A lot of high end games use more than 1GB of VRAM in addition to the hundreds of MBs of system RAM. Nintendo will need at least 1.5GB if they want the machine to pull off something closer to PC games and next gen games.

Which games are those? I guess I could maybe exceed 1GB of GPU RAM in GTA IV, but at those cranked up settings, the game would suck so bad lack of RAM would be the least of my issues.

As for system RAM, very few games even need more than 2GB RAM in Windows 7. I had some dud sticks I was procrastinating on RMAing (finally did last week) and was rocking 2GB system RAM for a couple months while I had them pulled. Also always monitor my resources. Pretty much all console ports running at 1080P never broke the 2GB system barrier (Many came real close, but it's clear the were optimized to not crash through 2GB system RAM). The only games that exceeded that and ran awful were eastern European PC games. You're vastly overstating requirements for system and GPU on PC.

Smiles and Cries said:
what should we do about IGN if all of this is a LIE?
Heh, not sure what will happen there, but there will be a lot of disappointed people. Try to keep expectations in check...it may not turn out to be the 'beast' power-wise that some are expecting it to be.

Durante

1-D_FTW said:
As for system RAM, very few games even need more than 2GB RAM in Windows 7. I had some dud sticks I was procrastinating on RMAing (finally did last week) and was rocking 2GB system RAM for a couple months while I had them pulled. Also always monitor my resources. Pretty much all console ports running at 1080P never broke the 2GB system barrier (Many came real close, but it's clear the were optimized to not crash through 2GB system RAM). The only games that exceeded that and ran awful were eastern European PC games. You're vastly overstating requirements for system and GPU on PC.
There you have your difference. Obviously games made for 512MB won't require more than 2GB. That doesn't mean that a game built around modern PC specs (or even semi-modern stuff like the rumoured Cafe specs) wouldn't require more memory.

(By the way, Portal 2's mini-levels with loading pauses are very annoying when you're sitting there with 10 GB of free memory)

This is an awful comparison, tbqh. Console games are coded direct-to-metal. A PC with comparable hardware will not perform nearly as well as its console counterpart.

I've seen a lot of comparisons, I haven't read through all the pages but here's mine.

With specs like that, and the usual console optimization that comes from developing on closed architecture, we could run Crysis 1 at at least 1680x1050 maxed out, with at least EdgeAA, at 30fps.

Edit: It would also run Crysis 2 at Very High (equal to Crysis 1 VH) at 60fps. Bear in mind Very High isn't much worse than Extreme settings, which is the highest setting, at all.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Littlegator said:
This is an awful comparison, tbqh. Console games are coded direct-to-metal. A PC with comparable hardware will not perform nearly as well as its console counterpart.
That, and they don't use COTS video cards for consoles. The GPU would be custom made. They wouldn't just toss a 4850 in there.

Coen

I don't know much about the technological side of this, but shouldn't this thing be at least somewhat powerful if it's supposed to render a full HD image on TV and at least one HDready image to your controller?

jett

D-Member
Mr_Brit said:
The tesselator on all AMD GPUs except for the 6900 series is truly awful. Also, anyone who believes Nintendo will go for XDR RAM is crazy.

A lot of high end games use more than 1GB of VRAM in addition to the hundreds of MBs of system RAM. Nintendo will need at least 1.5GB if they want the machine to pull off something closer to PC games and next gen games.

Wot.

I have a 512MB card and it runs everything I throw at it.

You know I'd be fine if it was approximately this powerful, after all IGN did say some slight variants are to be expected.

If it's better than that, great! But if it definitely falls short, then tsk tsk IGN.

I do believe their 360 "like" power comment with the 3DS. Revelations shows it, that's all I need. Blame other devs for not pushing it as such.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
rumors are called rumors for a reason, if they are wrong with their predictions, who cares? why would you block a website based on a rumor? its not like they are saying everything is correct. also, they posted it on their own website for their own audience and someone copied it here. absolutely no reason to block ign.

im not defending ign and i think they have been going downhill for years now but some of you hate ign with a passion and one more thing, other websites have been wrong before too.

Coen said:
I don't know much about the technological side of this, but shouldn't this thing be at least somewhat powerful if it's supposed to render a full HD image on TV and at least one HDready image to your controller?
The screen on the controller will be sub HD if not sub 480p.

Azure J

Mr_Brit said:
No it's not, assuming those specs it's around 4x faster GPU wise than the 360 which isn't a generational leap.

Serious question, what constitutes a generational leap? Stuff like that is going to be so hard to determine from now on.

On a similar note, there's gonna be a lot of folks getting their minds blown going from Wii to Cafe.

DR3AM said:
rumors are called rumors for a reason, if they are wrong with their predictions, who cares? why would you block a website based on a rumor? its not like they are saying everything is correct. also, they posted it on their own website for their own audience and someone copied it here. absolutely no reason to block ign.

im not defending ign and i think they have been going downhill for years now but some of you hate ign with a passion and one more thing, other websites have been wrong before too.

Thing is, they are said to have "trustworthy" sources. If they're wrong (at least it being less powerful), then that would show that their sources are not so reliable.

And they blew their cash on putting together hardware to make a point, sure $400+ is probably pocket change for IGN, but I don't know, they seem more sure than usual, and it's a pretty damn big subject.

AzureJericho said:
Serious question, what constitutes a generational leap? Stuff like that is going to be so hard to determine from now on.

On a similar note, there's gonna be a lot of folks getting their minds blown going from Wii to Cafe.
Yup. Bigger leap than PS2 to PS3.

Mr_Brit said:

True, you need at least one order of magnitude of an increase (10x) to be concidered a generational leap, IMHO. Still, 4x 360's GPU would allow for some spectacular graphics.
EAD Tokyo has shown what they can do with year-1999 architecture (GCN) that's only 1.5x faster (Wii) with Mario Galaxy which looked awesome for such old hardware.

Celine

linko9 said:
According to most reports, they did, just not much of a loss.

EDIT: check this thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10069

unfortunately the link in it is dead.
http://replay.web.archive.org/20060106015630/http://game-science.com/news/000671.html
Japanese stock newspaper, Kabushiki Shimbun, ran an article regarding Nintendo and the game industry on their web column "Analyst Kabuka Shindan" recently. The article revealed that the new memory media which will be used in DS software can cost 30-70% less than the current GBA cartridges. It was also noted that Nintendo are currently losing 20 billion yen each year on Nintendo hardware, but that this loss will be reduced by reusing the production plants for the next generation of hardware. A closing comment was made that if Nintendo could reach an operating profit of 150 billion yen for the year, the stock price could well rise to 20000 yen (it is currently around the 12500 mark).

Source: Kabushiki Shimbun (via Quiter)
Nintendo were losing money because even at 99$ ( GC price when article came out ) the GC were selling far to low.
They resolved the problem reusing most of GC part and production lines to build the Wii.

Smision said:
how about no because it was annoying as shit trying to click through when people would post something from joystiq or kotaku (i mix up them up), when it was censored.

let grown ups make their own decisions about who to give hits to, instead of this petty crap.

It's basically a symbol to show whether the sites in question are good sources or if they're reliable.

Azure J

Durante said:
Traditionally, we had something like 10x scaling in most theoretical metrics.

Oh, OK. I was under the impression that there wasn't any particular numeric value for it and advances were simply done when & where they were viable.

Hero of Legend said:
It's basically a symbol to show whether the sites in question are good sources or if they're reliable.

but it makes no sense because they post good stories and they post utter shit too. If every game site was held to that standard, we wouldn't be able to post any links.

one bad story or attention-grab or review you disagree with doesn't poison the well, they still copy/paste press releases that aren't sent to us commoners, like good little game journalist monkeys.

Vanillalite

AzureJericho said:

I am off a similar mindset that it's gonna be hard to tell what constitutes a generational leap now a days.

Plus if we are going by raw numbers the higher the numbers the more a 3 or 4 times increase is a fuck ton verses at low raw numbers and a slightly higher multiplier.

Durante

AzureJericho said:
Oh, OK. I was under the impression that there wasn't any particular numeric value for it and advances were simply done when & where they were viable.
There isn't a particular numeric value for it, one order of magnitude (or more) is just how the numbers worked out over the past 2 or 3 console generations. (excluding Wii of course)

Vanillalite

Durante said:
There isn't a particular numeric value for it, one order of magnitude (or more) is just how the numbers worked out over the past 2 or 3 console generations. (excluding Wii of course)

The logic math wise has to change though because we aren't just upping say we can push 10 times as many polys now and last gen it was 20k. Now it might only be 4 times as many polys or something, but the base number now is like 100 mill.

ElFly

Celine said:
They resolved the problem reusing most of GC part and production lines to build the Wii.

Is this really true?

They obviously saved on developing a new architecture, but the chips on the wii are built at a smaller process (90nm, just like the 360 originally), while the gamecube used a 180nm process, so I don't see how they could reuse the gamecube parts, outside the controller ports.

AceBandage said:
Yup. Bigger leap than PS2 to PS3.
It'll pretty much be the same for most developers. Very few of them took advantage of the gamecube and never even approached the Wii seriously.

It'll be a complete generation jump for the consumer and the people working on the console if the rumors are even somewhat on the mark.

Brettison said:
The logic math wise has to change though because we aren't just upping say we can push 10 times as many polys now and last gen it was 20k. Now it might only be 4 times as many polys or something, but the base number now is like 100 mill.
On top of that I doubt any manufacturer other than Nintendo will be able to say with a straight face (this console is 10x more powerful!) than their last.

Only way Sony and MS will be able to do it is by releasing $599+ consoles

DieH@rd said:
V3NA3.png

wow...that is disgusting. I'm speechless.

Smision said:
sounds like you mixed it up with Star Ocean, maybe? I think the first one was on SNES.

Yeah, pretty sure that's what I did. Anyway, so were they basically just Zelda clones or was there something stand out about them?

shadyspace said:
Yeah, pretty sure that's what I did. Anyway, so were they basically just Zelda clones or was there something stand out about them?

Zelda with better dungeons, more exploration, a better story and some light platforming.

Top Bottom