• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

neoanarch

abstract alien said:
Ill be avoiding the internet like the plague around the week of e3. Well, that's the plan anyway.

Avoiding product announcement leaks? This isn't some piece of fiction where you have to avoid "spoilers" wtf people.

neoanarch said:
Avoiding product announcements? This isn't some piece of fiction where you have to avoid "spoilers" wtf people.

It's no different from a guy recording a game to watch it later and not wanting to know the score before hand.

neoanarch said:
Avoiding product announcement leaks? This isn't some piece of fiction where you have to avoid "spoilers" wtf people.
You speaking for me, or yourself? I would rather find out about it during the e3 conference :^p

neoanarch

abstract alien said:
You speaking for me, or yourself? I would rather find out about it during the e3 conference :^p

AceBandage said:
It's no different from a guy recording a game to watch it later and not wanting to know the score before hand.

You guys don't understand taking your sports analogy, the game is on right now. The E3 conference is just the victory lap. Its like the guy missing the game so he can watch the recap.

neoanarch said:
You guys don't understand taking your sports analogy, the game is on right now. The E3 conference is just the victory lap. Its like the guy missing the game so he can watch the recap.

No...
Not at all.
It's much more exciting to see a game announced that you didn't know about with full video and screens and such, than just "OH LOL! RETRO MAKING DONKEY KONG!"

neoanarch said:
No, its not the same...not for me. If that is what you like though, then its all good.

herzogzwei1989 said:
Noooooooooooo. I so totally do NOT want Retro to be working on DKCR2.

Anything but that.

I just can't see them abandoning a very well received game that did well in sales.

So many ideas left untapped from the first one though it was excellent.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
donny2112 said:
Multiple teams ...
herzogzwei1989 said:
I hope so...is Retro large enough?
Even counting contractors and office staff, Retro Studio only has 68 employees listed here: http://www.mobygames.com/game/wii/donkey-kong-country-returns/credits

I'd suggest that they might even need to increase in size just to make one Cafe game at a time, or at least notably increase their outsourcing.

Edit:

Yeah, they're only hiring six new employees right now, so I would say they are definitely targeting only making one Cafe game at a time.

herzogzwei1989 said:
I just didn't care for DKCR. Would it be so bad if Retro was working on new IP?

I didn't hate DKCR, but I didn't like DKC1-3 enough to give DKCR more than a brief play. It's reasonably fun but the difficulty curve gets a little too steep too soon for my tastes. (I like collecting everything on my first playthrough if possible, you see.)

I'm still just awe-struck at what Nintendo did with Twilight Princess and the first Galaxy. Those two games turned me from being a SEGA fan into being a Nintendo fan. It happened on hardware only 1.5x faster than a GameCube.
Now imagine what Nintendo could do on hardware that is many, many times more powerful. It boggles my mind.

AniHawk

herzogzwei1989 said:
I'm still just awe-struck at what Nintendo did with Twilight Princess and the first Galaxy. Those two games turned me from being a SEGA fan into being a Nintendo fan. It happened on hardware only 1.5x faster than a GameCube.
Now imagine what Nintendo could do on hardware that is many, many times more powerful. It boggles my mind.

those games heavily rely on good level design. zelda can be significantly improved if they use the extra power to make a seamless overworld (which has been their goal since oot). mario 3d isn't going to change because of hardware power alone. it's going to need good ideas.

AceBandage said:
IGN will spoil some big surprise just hours before E3 starts...
Just like last year.
:(

Chances are high for this since Nintendo goes a day after Microsoft and Sony
I would think something would be leaked a few days early if not the day before

1-D_FTW

Smiles and Cries said:
Chances are high for this since Nintendo goes a day after Microsoft and Sony
I would think something would be leaked a few days early if not the day before

Absolutely. In fact, it's always Nintendo who's responsible. Nintendo always gives a big exclusive to some newspaper/outlet the night before the event. If you want to avoid having surprises ruined, 24 hour internet blackout. Me? I want leaks tomorrow. They're going to come, so the sooner the better.

Madao

herzogzwei1989 said:

TP was on GC hardware and the Wii version had no graphical enhancements so you were effectively wowed by a GC game (TWW is more impressive nowadays though)

Suzzopher

Has this been posted?

Insider offers more detail on the widely speculated controller
The controller for Nintendo’s new home console includes a front-facing camera system, a person close to the matter has told Develop.
The source also confirmed some, though not all, of the controller details that are already in circulation.
The new Nintendo console – widely dubbed the ‘Wii 2’ – will officially be unveiled at E3 in June, Nintendo said.
Its controller has for weeks been at the centre of intense speculation, and Develop understands Nintendo is not showing the tech to all development partners in a bid to curb leaks.
An insider said the Wii 2 pad features a front-facing camera that can be used for in-game images. The person also corroborated a number of well-referenced rumours, such as the controller features a six-inch touch-screen, “possibly with a stylus”, as well as a standard button layout.
http://www.develop-online.net/news/37732/Develop-Source-Wii-2-pad-adds-camera-system

klier

AniHawk said:
those games heavily rely on good level design. zelda can be significantly improved if they use the extra power to make a seamless overworld (which has been their goal since oot). mario 3d isn't going to change because of hardware power alone. it's going to need good ideas.

Seamless overworked means nothing. Zelda needs good ideas, not Mario. And a lot of good ideas will come from hardware power 20 times as much as the Wii. Like, all the stuff they have running in the office that doesn't work on Wii hardware.

SpokkX

I think I know what Nintendo want to use the camera for:

Facial emotion recognition

Such as controlling a game with your face. Smile for joy, display teeth for anger etc. You could imagine a game were you would just sneer with your face to scare off enemies or something.

This would be SOOO Nintendo and would also bring in the casual audience

klier said:
Seamless overworked means nothing. Zelda needs good ideas, not Mario. And a lot of good ideas will come from hardware power 20 times as much as the Wii. Like, all the stuff they have running in the office that doesn't work on Wii hardware.

Actually I think it does mean something...

the overworlds in the 3D Zelda's have been incredibly barren and desolate compared to the intricate and well designed maps of the better 2D games. I often think of all the cool touches in the overworld of A Link to the Past, and while nearly all of them are done in dungeons in the 3D games, they're not done on the overworld map:

• Dropping off of Death Mountain in dark world, to land on an otherwise inaccessible cave entrance... swapping between dimensions to get to inaccessible areas, draining waterways and flooding others...
  • Other areas that are inaccessible until you get a certain power up
  • Graves that roll back
  • Prayer stones to find, that give you the Quake, Ether and Bombos medallions
  • Unnecessary items to find such as the ice rod, the cane of Byrna, the magic cape
  • Hidden heart pieces in more natural cave entrances - in hollowed out trees, behind vines, under waterfalls -- not just under giant rocks!

Of course, you could consider Kakariko Village, Lake Hylia and Death Mountain etc to be a part of the overworld in Ocarina of Time, but they're not... its not seamless, and Hyrule Field is just an overworld hub for them.

The higher performance will allow them to blur the distinction between overworld and dungeons and villages.

Now imagine that bigger, more joined up world having a physics system evolved from Wind Waker, realistic wind effects having a real influence on everything in the world, a truer lighting model (return of the mirror shield plz), actions having more visible consequences, destructible environments, procedurally animated enemies and NPCs... how you can wrap up all that new functionality in new puzzles and dungeon structures. If they use the extra power wisely, they can make the overworld innovative and seamless again, and maybe just maybe they'll hold a candle to the overworlds in the 2D games.

Suzzopher said:

None of that is new info though. But more confirmations is always good.

edit: Actually, I think the most interesting part was this:
Develop’s source elsewhere speculated – but was not claiming to know – that Nintendo’s 3DS handheld could act as a replacement controller.

“The functions are the same,” the source said. “It is a standard wireless controller added with a front-facing camera and touch screen. That sounds far too much like a 3DS to me. But I can’t confirm this, Nintendo is being very cautious about the details.”

disap.ed

BlackNMild2k1 said:
None of that is new info though. But more confirmations is always good.

edit: Actually, I think the most interesting part was this:

There would be missing dual analog and triggers (if these rumors were true)

swerve

BlackNMild2k1 said:
Actually, I think the most interesting part was this:

Because it shows that the developer doesn't know anything and hasn't seen it, just is reporting what he has heard/hopes/thinks.

disap.ed said:
There would be missing dual analog and triggers (if these rumors were true)

Also missing serious screen size and resolution, also tremendously expensive.

The front-facing camera was in the very first day of leaks. Develop chooses the least discussed element of that leak and runs with a story to grab clicks off people who weren't paying much attention at first!

SpokkX said:

It wouldn't work very well though - lighting, angles, skin tone, hair in face, heavy-ass controller with a screen in it going to be resting in the lap most of the time - and as with the Vitality Sensor, Nintendo don't want to release something which doesn't work for even 1% of the userbase.

Amazing that we are still stuck with that first round of rumors as the only credible information.

MYE

SpokkX said:
I think I know what Nintendo want to use the camera for:

Such as controlling a game with your face. Smile for joy, display teeth for anger etc. You could imagine a game were you would just sneer with your face to scare off enemies or something.

I foresee at least one unhappy customer

steven_segal_emotion_chart.jpg

dwu8991

Banned
Well if they using same camera they using in the 3DS, it wouldn't cost much to implement, after all it's 0.3 megapixels! Video online chat, anyone?

dwu8991 said:
Well if they using same camera they using in the 3DS, it wouldn't cost much to implement, after all it's 0.3 megapixels! Video online chat, anyone?

I don't know what resolution a .3MP camera supports, but I would hope that Nintendo would use a camera that supported 1080p resolution since that is resolution the system supports.... unless the camera stuff will only be displayed on the controller (but that would be incredibly short sighted).

swerve

BlackNMild2k1 said:
I don't know what resolution a .3MP camera supports, but I would hope that Nintendo would use a camera that supported 1080p resolution since that is resolution the system supports.... unless the camera stuff will only be displayed on the controller (but that would be incredibly short sighted).

.3Mp is VGA - 640x480

It wouldn't be that short sighted if the camera wasn't for full-screen video, but instead for small video textures. In fact, that would be pretty useful. Obviously, the higher the resolution, the better, but there would still be a great deal of usefulness to a VGA camera in a 1080p game (where the image wasn't required to be huge).

-paste your face onto your Mario Kart Kart.
-show each player's face on the HUD to denote which player is where
-auto-generate Miis
-send video messages in a window whilst also playing an online game.
-scan pokemon cards :)

Heck, even the brand new iMac with it's 'HD FaceTime camera' only does 720...

radioheadrule83 said:
Actually I think it does mean something...

the overworlds in the 3D Zelda's have been incredibly barren and desolate compared to the intricate and well designed maps of the better 2D games. I often think of all the cool touches in the overworld of A Link to the Past, and while nearly all of them are done in dungeons in the 3D games, they're not done on the overworld map:

• Dropping off of Death Mountain in dark world, to land on an otherwise inaccessible cave entrance... swapping between dimensions to get to inaccessible areas, draining waterways and flooding others...
  • Other areas that are inaccessible until you get a certain power up
  • Graves that roll back
  • Prayer stones to find, that give you the Quake, Ether and Bombos medallions
  • Unnecessary items to find such as the ice rod, the cane of Byrna, the magic cape
  • Hidden heart pieces in more natural cave entrances - in hollowed out trees, behind vines, under waterfalls -- not just under giant rocks!

Of course, you could consider Kakariko Village, Lake Hylia and Death Mountain etc to be a part of the overworld in Ocarina of Time, but they're not... its not seamless, and Hyrule Field is just an overworld hub for them.

The higher performance will allow them to blur the distinction between overworld and dungeons and villages.

Now imagine that bigger, more joined up world having a physics system evolved from Wind Waker, realistic wind effects having a real influence on everything in the world, a truer lighting model (return of the mirror shield plz), actions having more visible consequences, destructible environments, procedurally animated enemies and NPCs... how you can wrap up all that new functionality in new puzzles and dungeon structures. If they use the extra power wisely, they can make the overworld innovative and seamless again, and maybe just maybe they'll hold a candle to the overworlds in the 2D games.

Good post. The developers already stated that it will be one of the goals for Zelda: SS, so I can see them going in that direction for the inevitable Zelda Cafe. On a similar note, I hope for Nintendo to also use the higher performance to make an advanced version of the NPC system that MM has.

Top Bottom