• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Serenade said:
Well done
KuGsj.gif

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Lupin the Wolf said:
When I was a kid, I had a friend tell me all the time that he had an uncle who worked at Nintendo. I wanted to believe him, so I believed him. When I mentioned the uncle while riding in his parents' van, they cracked up and my friend joined in...."you believed that? BWHAHAHA!"

I'd like to say they didn't survive the trip, but instead I just cried inside.

(And to think that guy is a minister or something, now.)
Guy was born a politician.

NeonZ

Darryl said:
Kinda sad quote cause I liked the way GX turned out.

When that quote was said, there had been two F-Zero games since GX. Two games which performed vastly worse than it. I don't think there's any real proof that he was talking specifically about GX.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Triton55 said:
Is it just me, or does that fake look like it has a cameltoe?
It's not just you.
Someone should tell Nintendo that a camel toe is not a functional disc drive, that consoles need power cables to turn on and that analog sticks bigger than an iPhone (going by the proportions in the controller, since the screen is 6") are a tad too big.

dwu8991

Banned
Lupin the Wolf said:
I also love how pretty much all the photos are in a very odd setting, like on top of a perfectly clean table or on a spotless hardwood floor with no shots of what's onscreen, or a controller that matches.

If the packaging is really just a repurposed Windows Vista/7 case, that would explain why so many people are making Project Cafe phonies--they're easy to do!

The windows 7 case is plastic! There's only room for a DVD to insert.

There is no way you could ever put electronics into a windows 7 case, not even with two windows 7 case duct taped together.

The console is powered on during the youtube presentation remember?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
dwu8991 said:

There is no way you could ever put electronics into a windows 7 case, not even with two windows 7 case duct taped together.

Dude, it's just a LED. The thing is fake, unless you're implying Nintendo doesn't know how you make a functional DVD drive or that analog sticks bigger than one iPhone are normal.
EDIT: check the link.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
dwu8991 said:

Must be hard to put some LED lights inside a hollow case.

dwu8991 said:

Everyone else beat me to the part about electronics, but you just hit the problem on the nose. There is only room for a DVD to be inserted. Just LOOKING at any of the fake Cafe pictures should tip you off that something's wrong. The DVD slot doesn't look big enough to fit a DVD!

The proportions of everything are off every time and it all just looks fake, fake, fake. They can't even decide if it's white, black, silver, has buttons, or if it can run without power cords between all the pics and videos. I mean, come on.

EDIT:
dwu8991 said:
Well, if you look at the dvd drive, it looks similar to a ps3 dvd drive. As for the analogue sticks, the wii analogue sticks were too small. All they are doing is reverting back to gamecube analogue sticks.

What does that even mean? You're saying...it looks like a slot-loading drive? The Wii has one too, you know. What's your point?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Easy_D said:
Must be hard to put some LED lights inside a hollow case.
5o2r6.jpg

dwu8991 said:
Well, if you look at the dvd drive, it looks similar to a ps3 dvd drive.
Except it's on the bottom for some reason, making it extremely uncomfortable to use, instead of on top like every single console with a vertical setup in existence.
The size is also off, it seems to be using mini-DVDs, which would rule out Wii backwards compatibility (very unlikely).

dwu8991 said:
As for the analogue sticks, the wii analogue sticks were too small. All they are doing is reverting back to gamecube analogue sticks.
I'm sorry, did you give a look at that link? That's still double the size of GCN analogue sticks.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
shadyspace said:
Junior's trolling, people.
Pretty likely, I'd say. I also like how he's conveniently forgetting the BS slides, or the first sighting of the console powered on without a power cable.

Model 500

Shigeru Miyamoto commented that past F-Zero and Star Fox collaborations with outside development houses turned out to be a disappointment for Nintendo. He stated "consumers got very excited about the idea of those games, but the games themselves did not deliver"

F-Zero GX "not deliver", wtf? He must be talking about sales, the game is absolutely brilliant, and I'm a big fan of the genre. Ugh.

TBH, I'm also a big fan of Time Trial perfection (which is where F-ZGX trumps everything I've played in this genre), but I can somehow see what he means if he's talking about the Story mode (or whatever it's called) or even GP to some extent. I would like those modes to be of the highest quality as well, so I guess he has a point. Having said that, I really enjoyed the GP mode in F-ZGX, but I guess it's not exactly pick-up-and-play type of game, it can feel a bit cold and empty until you start mastering the controls.

swerve

Model 500 said:
F-Zero GX "not deliver", wtf?

He's talking about fans being disappointed with the post-GX F-Zero games, and all the Star Fox games since Adventures. Basically he's bitching at 2nd party development - whereas GX/AX were a different relationship entirely.

swerve said:
He's talking about fans being disappointed with the post-GX F-Zero games, and all the Star Fox games since Adventures. Basically he's bitching at 2nd party development - whereas GX/AX were a different relationship entirely.
Yes, I grow so tired of people thinking he was speaking about GX with that quote.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
swerve said:

it's encouraging that they recognize this. i see three scenarios as the path to a solution they'll take:

• develop these games in-house using existing studios and resources,
  • cultivate a larger amount of talent and manage those teams in-house as they develop nintendo franchises, or
  • not make the games, period.

all of these are preferable to releasing shoddy half-assed second party games that tarnish a series's good name.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
swerve said:
He's talking about fans being disappointed with the post-GX F-Zero games, and all the Star Fox games since Adventures.

I found the problems.

150px-RickWheeler.jpg

Telepath.jpg

Remove them and everything will be back to normal.

blu

Thraktor said:
The A2 could be an option, but it seems to be designed for in-order execution (see here, page 7).
A2's problem would not be in-orderness, i.e. the BC-with-Gekko card (whose OoOE was quite shallow, anyway), as that could be addressed through sufficiently-higher clocks and/or wider issue capabilities. A2's problem in Cafe's context is the lack of any AltiVec/VMX/VSX extensions, i.e. the porting-from-360 card. Not that IBM could not bolt on a SIMD unit as an 'accelerator' somewhere, but that would significantly change the transistor budget of the design (VMX128 is not cheap). POWER7 can handle that feature of Xenon, A2 - not.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AceBandage said:
I think Krystal is pretty much here to stay.
And it's fine... as long as she isn't a love interest.
Nintendo should sell Krystal to Sonic Team. They would know how to use her character.

The opening moments of Starfox Adventures, in control of Krystal, are the parts that showed the most promise. It goes downhill once you get control of Fox and he basically has to repeat the same Krozoa spirit nonsense... repetition killed SFA. Otherwise it was quite interesting, and it still looks beautiful imo.

The impression I got from some media before DP became SFAdventures was you would play half of the game as Krystal (who before the franchise switch was just a blue cartoon cat and not the weird 'sexy' teenage fox girl I guess Rare decided fitted the Star Fox universe better).

Also good to know that Miyamoto quote wasn't talking about GX. Love that game and it was disheartening when I first read it thinking Nintendo didn't agree that it was an amazing addtion to the F-Zero series (though I got the overall impression the game didn't actually sell that amazingly; is this true?) Would love to see a similar HD sequel on the Cafe, though GX graphically still holds up very well despite being nearly 2 generations behind now.

blu said:
A2's problem would not be in-orderness, i.e. the BC-with-Gekko card (whose OoOE was quite shallow, anyway), as that could be addressed through sufficiently-higher clocks and/or wider issue capabilities. A2's problem in Cafe's context is the lack of any AltiVec/VMX/VSX extensions, i.e. the porting-from-360 card. Not that IBM could not bolt on a SIMD unit as an 'accelerator' somewhere, but that would significantly change the transistor budget of the design (VMX128 is not cheap). POWER7 can handle that feature of Xenon, A2 - not.

So what about the possibily of a scaled back, leaner version of POWER7 for Cafe's CPU cores?

NeonZ

Astrosanity said:
(though I got the overall impression the game didn't actually sell that amazingly; is this true?)

That's true. It wasn't a million seller, which is probably what they were expecting considering its production values. However, it still sold much more than the two games released after it, the later one wasn't even released outside of Japan.

I still think one of Nintendo's biggest mistakes of the GCN era was meddling with Dinosaur Planet.

I'm really not sure about that. The only people with personality in the Dinosaur planet that we got was the Star Fox crew. If they hadn't done anything, the entire cast might have ended up just as bland as the Star Fox Adventures original characters. In fact, that might have been the reason Nintendo decided to slap the Star Fox brand there.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
GloriousOwnage@Gmail.com said:
Edit: Never mind

Total Posts: 1 (0.00 posts per day)

Now I'm curious as to what made you post after all this time, and what exactly you posted!

Edit: Ah, I see your post was caught by someone.

NeonZ said:
I'm really not sure about that. The only people with personality in the Dinosaur planet that we got was the Star Fox crew. If they hadn't done anything, the entire cast might have ended up just as bland as the Star Fox Adventures original characters. In fact, that might have been the reason Nintendo decided to slap the Star Fox brand there.
Additionally, Nintendo probably would've lost rights to the game in the Rare split. As is, it's one of the few games they kept thanks to Fox.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Cosmonaut X said:
Joined four years ago, almost to the day, and your first post is that? I'd say the username is pretty damn appropriate ;-)

1st post with an account made 4 years ago? Something is weird there lol.

Kunan

Jaded Alyx said:
Yes, I grow so tired of people thinking he was speaking about GX with that quote.
Me too. I was on the IGN forums at the time and nobody would listen, and left cause I couldn't believe how dumb it was. Matt Cass. was the main perpetrator of it over there. He was talking about the GBA games, but people did not know they existed and started spreading FUD about GX.

I also hate it because its what really kick-started the whole "Everyone hate on Miyamato" bandwagon.

blu

herzogzwei1989 said:
So what about the possibily of a scaled back, leaner version of POWER7 for Cafe's CPU cores?
A dual-core POWER7 would give 8-way SMT, and if the option to 'turbo-boost' a single core at the expense of turning off the other is preserved, it can also turn into a hyper-wii on a switch. I say POWER7 would be a good choice, if nintendo would be ok with the bill, that is.

ace3skoot

DoomXploder7 said:
but then you'd miss e3.

Yeah but if he was a good person he would live on eternal bliss at a never ending E3, I say go for it! however if heaven

1) isn't a never ending E3 or
2) doesn't exist

please leave a haunting post so I can make steps avoid mortality at all cost k thanks

I know this is a troll, but I spent 2 minutes in MS Paint to respond anyway.

dwu8991 said:
It's a dev kit, for sure but not fake!

Which one of these look right to you?
rcis15.jpg

The one on the left is roughly matched up with a miniDVD and the one on the right is roughly matched up with a regular DVD.

Because they both look fake to me.

blu said:
A dual-core POWER7 would give 8-way SMT, and if the option to 'turbo-boost' a single core at the expense of turning off the other is preserved, it can also turn into a hyper-wii on a switch. I say POWER7 would be a good choice, if nintendo would be ok with the bill, that is.

Thanks for your input. I'm sure IBM has had a team working on a custom CPU for Nintendo. We'll just have to wait and see to find out what it's based on.

Top Bottom