• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Grampa Simpson said:
The amount of fuckery that's gone on in response to those original pics makes me think that the whole thing is fake though.

Yeah, there's waaayyy too much defending of these pics and not enough substance. It feels like someone WANTS them to be real, or at least, wants us to think they are.
/tinfoilhat

Amir0x

Banned
GameplayWhore said:
It's going to be less sexy than the Wii. It's a big tech jump, so it will have to be larger to help keep it from overheating, if anything.

Not really. The technology being supposed for the Wii HD is still many years old and will be easily able to be put in a small form factor. Probably not quite as small as Wii, no, but it could still easily be sexy.

agrajag said:
I really hope that's fake, it'd be a big step down from the sexiness that is Wii.

It's fake. I've put together some graphical aides to help you come to the same conclusion
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27906813&postcount=2034
&
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27928675&postcount=2307

it's quite obvious that all of these pics (slides, consoles, presentation)are from the same person(s).
I applaud them on their efforts, but they made some mistakes that give it away. It's Fake.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
BlackNMild2k1 said:
it's quite obvious that all of these pics (slides, consoles, presentation)are from the same person(s).
I applaud them on their efforts, but they made some mistakes that give it away. It's Fake.
Not necessarily. The white one looks a bit different, could be made by someone else (who remembered consoles need cables to power on).

herzogzwei1989 said:
-Wii-
Broadway CPU: 2.85 GFLOPs
Hollywood GPU: 12.9 GFLOPs
Total: 15.75 GFLOPs

Radeon 4850: 1000 GFLOPs

If Cafe uses a 4850 GPU as it's baseline, before any upgrades, before any downclocking, it would be 77 times stronger than Wii's Hollywood GPU.

Believe.

GJykM.png

Amir0x said:
Not really. The technology being supposed for the Wii HD is still many years old and will be easily able to be put in a small form factor. Probably not quite as small as Wii, no, but it could still easily be sexy.

Hush, you. I'm trying to lower my expectations here!

The Win7 chassis isn't bad, but for me I guess sexy really means "looks like it will run forever without breaking". A smaller size helps to deliver that illusion.

Amir0x

Banned
GameplayWhore said:
Hush, you. I'm trying to lower my expectations here!

The Win7 chassis isn't bad, but for me I guess sexy really means "looks like it will run forever without breaking". A smaller size helps to deliver that illusion.

Yeah, I won't have that illusion considering my Wii is the only system I've ever had to break down... twice :p

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Amir0x said:
Yeah, I won't have that illusion considering my Wii is the only system I've ever had to break down... twice :p
Wii abuser.

Amir0x

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
What happened? Fried GPU... disc drive?

No, twice when I updated firmware in one of Nintendo's official updates, they bricked my system. Twice I had to send it in because their own firmware updates keep bricking my system.

Jackano

Well, on the front-facing camera on controller rumor...
I guess it will be yet another 100+ millions 0.3Mpixels cameras!

Bullshitness if Nintendo choose this this time again, since their main reason for having such a low resolution were the DSi/3DS tiny screens. This time if true, this will be a 6" screen, so, bigger camera is needed if they follow their past declarations.

Amir0x said:
No, twice when I updated firmware in one of Nintendo's official updates, they bricked my system. Twice I had to send it in because their own firmware updates keep bricking my system.

Oh... I see. Try BootMii... you can back-up the whole NAND with that application.

.3MP camera is fine for a console. It uses less resources.
The problem is that Nintendo uses pure shit ones that are grainy and low quality.

antonz

Jackano said:
Well, on the front-facing camera on controller rumor...
I guess it will be yet another 100+ millions 0.3Mpixels cameras!

Bullshitness if Nintendo choose this this time again, since their main reason for having such a low resolution were the DSi/3DS tiny screens. This time if true, this will be a 6" screen, so, bigger camera is needed if they follow their past declarations.
Guess what! Kinect uses the same resolution camera! Mind Blown!

Amir0x

Banned
Fernando Rocker said:
Oh... I see. Try BootMii... you can back-up the whole NAND with that application.

If I have to modify my Wii in any way I'm not going to risk it. Because technically in voids your warranty and it's not worth the risk of them finding out and then not fixing my broken Wii with all the downloadable shit on it.

So far, they keep fixing it so I'll just stick with that...

AceBandage said:
The problem is that Nintendo uses pure shit ones that are grainy and low quality.

It's shit either way, especially for an HD console. People need to stop cheaping out on cameras. That goes for Sony too with their EyeToy. High quality that biznatch already, it's 2011.

Fortunately so far all this shit is used for garbage AR games so I can ignore it. But one day somebody might come up with a usable idea and it'd be nice if the camera was hideous on screen.

agrajag

Banned
One time my Wii said it had corrupted memory and wouldn't work for about a month. Then all of a sudden it started working again and has been fine ever since. -_-

NEO0MJ

Amir0x said:
It's shit either way, especially for an HD console. People need to stop cheaping out on cameras. That goes for Sony too with their EyeToy. High quality that biznatch already, it's 2011.

I was surprised by how horrible it was when I got the move, especially since it's a Sony product. Was expecting better from them.

AceBandage said:

How is .3MP acceptable for a 2012 console? It's crappy for a 2011 handheld and even more crappy for a 2012 console.

ombz

LovingSteam said:
How is .3MP acceptable for a 2012 console? It's crappy for a 2011 handheld and even more crappy for a 2012 console.
I don't think it really matters. It's not like you are going to take a home console controller around with you to take pictures.

Woffls

LovingSteam said:
Depends what it's going to be used for. Only practical application for a controller camera is viewing the face, and most people's faces are probably best viewed at 0.3mp ;D (jk, it's still dumb)

The reason the external 3DS ones are so low is because the 3DS needs to render the images for AR Games, and that's intensive at high resolutions. [edit] Oh, and Nintendo only care about you viewing 3D photos on your 3DS, and not other devices.

ombz said:
I don't think it really matters. It's not like you are going to take a home console controller around with you to take pictures.

So? If the camera is part of the console and a feature that they're sure to spend some time focusing on there is no excuse for it being so crappy. I don't understand how people can defend Nintendo to the point of justifying them using such outdated hardware.

Krowley

The most important thing about the camera is that it adds very little to the price. As long as it is functional, it's good enough.

LovingSteam said:
So? If the camera is part of the console and a feature that they're sure to spend some time focusing on there is no excuse for it being so crappy. I don't understand how people can defend Nintendo to the point of justifying them using such outdated hardware.

Because I don't want to spend a zillion dollars for the console. Sometimes adding the best component is just a waste of the consumers resources.

LovingSteam said:
The kinetic has a .3 Mega pixel too. Its basic VGA and the higher the qualityvthe greater the processingrequired to manipulate it. The ssensors in the 3DS are the major problem.

Amir0x said:

Mine has broken twice as well. It's actually in the process of getting fixed as I type this.

The first time the Hard Drive or something (sorry, I'm not a techie) got corrupted and it wouldn't go past the "Press the A button to continue" screen. Recently, the disc drive decided to stop ejecting discs, so it was a Brawl machine for a while.

Of course, my 360 has died twice as well, but once it was still under warranty thankfully.

Krowley said:
The most important thing about the camera is that it adds very little to the price. As long as it is functional, it's good enough.

Because I don't want to spend a zillion dollars for the console. Sometimes adding the best component is just a waste of the consumers resources.

Ok I can understand that. Perhaps Nintendo should just use the same technology that is in the 360. I mean who wants to spend 'a zillion dollars for a console'. Maybe Nintendo should just use 512mb of ram instead of 1-2 gigs. I mean who wants to spend 'a zillion dollars for a console'. And I like how you argue that its either the craptastic .3MP or THE BEST COMPONENTS. As though there is no middle ground.

Amir0x said:
They do that on purpose. They read your posts

HEY-OH!

swerve

Amir0x said:
It's shit either way, especially for an HD console.

If it's a vga camera for a vga screen, which allows you to use the images as textures in the game or on screen HUD, it won't be total shit. It really depends on the intended function.

But it is of course inarguable that the higher the resolution, the more applications it can facilitate. But I had hella funs with my GameBoy Camera back in the day. A VGA camera can still find great use on a 1080p system.

Krowley

LovingSteam said:
Ok I can understand that. Perhaps Nintendo should just use the same technology that is in the 360. I mean who wants to spend 'a zillion dollars for a console'. Maybe Nintendo should just use 512mb of ram instead of 1-2 gigs. I mean who wants to spend 'a zillion dollars for a console'. And I like how you argue that its either the craptastic .3MP or THE BEST COMPONENTS. As though there is no middle ground.

Ram is important and will matter with every game. The camera is probably an afterthought with a few games where it will be crucial. If the camera is going to be pivotal in some way then it should be better. If not, then they should probably cheap out on it.

Also, even a middle ground could potentially be a waste of resources when super cheap will do the job.

edit// especially if it is part of the controller since presumably people will be buying more than one, and it already has a screen in it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
1-D_FTW said:
Actually, change that to lunchbox and they could have done exactly that with the Gamecube.
I think it's time to evolve into a messenger bag.

Gameboy said:
Believe.

*bunch o' Wiis*
Not really a
Fact: most of the Wii's GFLOPS actually come from the duct tape.

Krowley said:
Ram is important and will matter with every game. The camera is probably an afterthought with a few games where it will be crucial. If the camera is going to be pivotal in some way then it should be better. If not, then they should probably cheap out on it.

I'd rather have a console with at least 1 GB RAM and a cheap low-end camera than one with 512 MB and a better camera. RAM is far, far more important.

Amir0x

Banned
From The Dust said:
They do that on purpose. They read your posts

HEY-OH!

I thought they kept delaying Pikmin 3 because they read my posts.

And anyway if they were really reading my posts they know how deep my love is for them. I hate because I love.

herzogzwei1989 said:
I'd rather have a console with at least 1 GB RAM and a cheap low-end camera than one with 512 MB and a better camera. RAM is far, far more important.

It wasn't an either/ or argument. Krowley was simply arguing that he doesn't want to pay 'a gazillion dollars' for a top notch console. Again I don't understand the justification for including a .3MP camera on a 2012 console after having included one in a 2011 handheld. There is something TERRIBLY wrong there.

dwu8991

Banned
BlackNMild2k1 said:
It's fake. I've put together some graphical aides to help you come to the same conclusion
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27906813&postcount=2034
&
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27928675&postcount=2307

I think you overstating the so called mistakes. Trying to gauge how big something is from photos is little more than guessing. When we first saw the first Nintendo revolution remotes, everyone kept saying how big they were going to be based on the photos.

http://www.gamasutra.com/db_area/images/news2001/6538/iwata.jpg

Its clear from the leaked photos that the new cafe is the same size as the wii, so why on earth are you comparing it to a PS3 size?
As for the contoller, again trying to gauge the size of the analogue sticks and buttons from a projector is silly.

Amir0x said:
I thought they kept delaying Pikmin 3 because they read my posts.

And anyway if they were really reading my posts they know how deep my love is for them. I hate because I love.

abuse is love

swerve said:
If it's a vga camera for a vga screen, which allows you to use the images as textures in the game or on screen HUD, it won't be total shit. It really depends on the intended function.

But it is of course inarguable that the higher the resolution, the more applications it can facilitate. But I had hella funs with my GameBoy Camera back in the day. A VGA camera can still find great use on a 1080p system.

there were rumors of HD (as in high density) and streaming the game's video to the device so it would have to be of decent resolution. I feel a 720P/1080P image on a device at 480p would be kinda pointless though

dwu8991 said:
I think you overstating the so called mistakes. Trying to gauge how big something is from photos is little more than guessing. When we first saw the first Nintendo revolution remotes, everyone kept saying how big they were going to be based on the photos.

Its clear from the leaked photos that the new cafe is the same size as the wii, so why on earth are you comparing it to a PS3 size?
As for the contoller, again trying to gauge the size of the analogue sticks and buttons from a projector is silly.

It's impossible for it to be the same size. It would catch on fire.

There are no leaked photos I'm aware of.
The controller they showed with a 6" screen is roughly twice the width and height of a GC controller, it's ridiculous to think that's genuine.

dwu8991 said:

I know you are just trolling for replies, but just incase I am wrong (about you trolling that is)...

I'm not comparing it to the size of a PS3, I am enlarging the console based on the size of the Disc drives. With the disc drive the size of the full size disc drive on the PS3 & Wii the Fake Win7 box Wii2 is larger than a PS3 yet looks oddly mis-sized since it's obvious that it's much smaller than that.

When I size it to fit the miniDVD (once again based on the size of the drive), it's about the size of a Wii turned upwards. It can't be that small since it will not be BC with Wii (the disc won't fit) and it would run too hot (according to the more tech savvy in this thread.) Also at that size it would only fir maybe MicroSD cards, but I didn't do a direct comparison on that since I felt it was unnecessary even though I did take a pic comparing DVD, miniDVD & all 3 SD card sizes just incase the need came up.

As for the controllers, I think the pics I provided speak for themselves already.

Amir0x

Banned
From The Dust said:
abuse is love

Almost 70% of my top 25 games are from Nintendo. My most favorite franchises are from Nintendo. My all time favorite game is from Nintendo. My second all time favorite platform is from Nintendo.

Nintendo has and always will be a staple of my gaming career. I am particularly venomous about their mistakes and recent detour into casualtard land because their potential is such that when they leave to make such generally disastrous games and platforms geared toward game haters/casuals as has been the case these past six years, the void left is completely unable to be filled by anyone else.

It's sort of sad in that way. So my criticism is a healthy response to the deep respect and admiration I have for the talent and potential at Nintendo.

swerve

From The Dust said:
there were rumors of HD (as in high density) and streaming the game's video to the device so it would have to be of decent resolution. I feel a 720P/1080P image on a device at 480p would be kinda pointless though

High Density like a retina display? You think Nintendo is going to shell out that sort of money on a controller?

I'm not saying they *won't*, but it seems the least likely way they would integrate a touch screen. I foresee them creating a new CRT-quality display for your living room in your hands (480p) and the 'big' main TV being used for the high-def gaming.

I also don't think the main point of the machine is for you to play 'big' games on the controller screen. Accessing the OS and the menu when the machine is in standby - *that* I can believe. Four-Swords style sub-screens, yup. Makes sense.

Top Bottom