• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

swerve said:
High Density like a retina display? You think Nintendo is going to shell out that sort of money on a controller?

I'm not saying they *won't*, but it seems the least likely way they would integrate a touch screen. I foresee them creating a new CRT-quality display for your living room (480p) and the big TV being used for the high-def gaming.

I also don't think the main point of the machine is for you to play 'big' games on the controller screen. Accessing the OS and the menu when the machine is in standby - *that* I can believe. Four-Swords style sub-screens, yup. Makes sense.

well the rumor just said "HD screen" which many people here interpreted as high density. and they won't make a CRT screen. no one makes those anymore. also, streaming would be a pretty big feature I think. but just not feasible without a screen that can do the game justice

dwu8991

Banned
BlackNMild2k1 said:
I know you are just trolling for replies, but just incase I am wrong (about you trolling that is)...

I'm not comparing it to the size of a PS3, I am enlarging the console based on the ise of the Disc drives. With the disc drive the size of the full size disc drive on the PS3 & Wii the Fake Win7 box Wii2 is larger than a PS3 yet looks oddly mis-sized since it's obvious that it's much smaller than that.

When I size it to fit the miniDVD (once again based on the size of the drive), it's about the size of a Wii turned upwards. It can't be that small since it will not be BC with Wii (the disc won't fit) and it would run too hot (according to the more tech savvy in this thread.) Also at that size it would only fir maybe MicroSD cards, but I didn't do a direct comparison on that since I felt it was unnecessary even though I did take a pic comparing DVD, miniDVD & all 3 SD card sizes just incase the need came up.

As for the controllers, I think the pics I provided speak for themselves already.

If you look at the cafe unit from these images, there is enough room for a full dvd disk slot.
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/nintendo_project_cafe_leak.jpg

ReyVGM

Amir0x said:
Nintendo has and always will be a staple of my gaming career. I am particularly venomous about their mistakes and recent detour into casualtard land because their potential is such that when they leave to make such generally disastrous games and platforms geared toward game haters/casuals as has been the case these past six years, the void left is completely unable to be filled by anyone else.

It's sort of sad in that way. So my criticism is a healthy response to the deep respect and admiration I have for the talent and potential at Nintendo.

Watcha talkin' about? They still made the Zeldas, Marios, Metroids, Pokemons, Smash Bros, Mario Karts and the like. They made the same games they've always made, except they added in the casualtard games. Which you can ignore.

1-D_FTW

Amir0x said:
I thought they kept delaying Pikmin 3 because they read my posts.

And anyway if they were really reading my posts they know how deep my love is for them. I hate because I love.

Same here. Why must you make me hate so much, Nintendo? I feel like I'm Glados and Nintendo is Chell. Why must you do this, Chell? Why?

I've also noticed some of the biggest trolls were Nintendo fans who just went and snapped one day.

Amir0x

Banned
ReyVGM said:
Watcha talkin' about? They still made the Zeldas, Marios, Metroids, Pokemons, Smash Bros, Mario Karts and the like. They made the same games they've always made, except they added in the casualtard games. Which you can ignore.

I'm not going in circles about this.

They've left to focus on something else, and their stable of hardcore games these past six years has thus suffered dramatically as far as I'm concerned. Outside of Metroid Prime III, Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 and ... I'm hoping Skyward Sword... I've not seem much of note from them. Well I liked Super Paper Mario too. It's a huge drop from what I traditionally expect from them. And I don't expect them to just constantly whore their franchises either. In previous gens they continually introduced amazing new hardcore properties like Chibi Robo and Pikmin, this gen... no.

Pokemon sucks, Smash Bros. sucks (this is as casual a fighting franchise as it gets... shallow, depthless fighting games are no appeal to me) and they've destroyed Mario Kart with the continual addition of balance breaking items and poor track design so none of those concern me.

Obviously, you disagree. No, I don't think it's worth debating about. Wii and DS have been disastrous for Nintendo as far as their quality of development goes as far as I'm concerned.

swerve

From The Dust said:
well the rumor just said "HD screen" which many people here interpreted as high density. and they won't make a CRT screen. no one makes those anymore. also, streaming would be a pretty big feature I think. but just not feasible without a screen that can do the game justice

No, I didn't mean they'd make a CRT, I meant the equivalent. If they make a 480p screen in everyone's room, native res, then *all* of their back catalog works fine on it, looks great, no scaling.

People are losing that ability when they upgrade to HD TVs. Nintendo are giving it back.

ReyVGM said:
I have preached this from the start of the generation, but people just don't care or the ones that do are far less out spoken. They picked a side already.

swerve

Gamer @ Heart said:
I have preached this from the start of the generation, but people just don't care or the ones that do are far less out spoken. They picked a side already.

Let it never be said that marketing doesn't matter.

RagnarokX

Amir0x said:
I'm not going in circles about this.

They've left to focus on something else, and their stable of hardcore games these past six years has thus suffered dramatically as far as I'm concerned. Outside of Metroid Prime III, Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 and ... I'm hoping Skyward Sword... I've not seem much of note from them. Well I liked Super Paper Mario too. It's a huge drop from what I traditionally expect from them. And I don't expect them to just constantly whore their franchises either. In previous gens they continually introduced amazing new hardcore properties like Chibi Robo and Pikmin, this gen... no.

Obviously, you disagree. No, I don't think it's worth debating about. Wii and DS have been disastrous for Nintendo as far as their quality of development goes as far as I'm concerned.
On the bright side, their casual focus led to them coming up with the superguide concept, which kept them from dumbing down great games like NSMBW. It's a shame they didn't have it for Twilight Princess; that game could have used more challenge.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't want to debate Pokemon. I swore years ago that once I turned 14 I would never discuss the game again. It's the same Pokemon they've been pushing on us for years with little to no structural differences, with the same cloying, negative saturday morning cartoon anime story and aesthetic and simplistic rock-paper-scissors gameplay where the appeal seems to come from just being OCD about collecting monsters. It's neither particularly deep or rewarding where I stand, and a basic understanding of type allows you to basically massacre the games structure within a few hours. I prefer my RPGs to require substantive strategy. This is clearly tailored for a younger audience to whom I am no longer apart of.

RagnarokX said:
On the bright side, their casual focus led to them coming up with the superguide concept, which kept them from dumbing down great games like NSMBW. It's a shame they didn't have it for Twilight Princess; that game could have used more challenge.

I don't find anything admirable of Super Guide. They could have just decided to not dumb it down from the start. Who cares if the casuals can make it through? I don't care what they do at all, in fact!

Of course, I also don't think NSMBW is "great". It is fairly routine until like world 5, and the only truly great worlds is the final and bonus worlds. But the aesthetic is too lacking of any ambition for me to fully enjoy traversing the world, so that's a big negative.

swerve said:
No, I didn't mean they'd make a CRT, I meant the equivalent. If they make a 480p screen in everyone's room, native res, then *all* of their back catalog works fine on it, looks great, no scaling.

People are losing that ability when they upgrade to HD TVs. Nintendo are giving it back.

true. but why would they want to play on the controller when their HD tv is right in front of them? Nintendo could spend less money hand include an upscaler or even re-render the games (due to the hardware being backwards compatible with the Wii) and add anti aliasing.

Mafro

Amir0x said:
I don't want to debate Pokemon. I swore years ago that once I turned 14 I would never discuss the game again. It's the same Pokemon they've been pushing on us for years with little to no structural differences, with the same cloying, negative saturday morning cartoon anime story and aesthetic and simplistic rock-paper-scissors gameplay where the appeal seems to come from just being OCD about collecting monsters. It's neither particularly deep or rewarding where I stand, and a basic understanding of type allows you to basically massacre the games structure within a few hours. I prefer my RPGs to require substantive strategy. This is clearly tailored for a younger audience to whom I am no longer apart of.
I disagree, but each to their own.

apana

Amir0x said:

I don't find anything admirable of Super Guide. They could have just decided to not dumb it down from the start. Who cares if the casuals can make it through? I don't care what they do at all, in fact!

Of course, I also don't think NSMBW is "great". It is fairly routine until like world 5, and the only truly great worlds is the final and bonus worlds. But the aesthetic is too lacking of any ambition for me to fully enjoy traversing the world, so that's a big negative.

Well of course you don't. You don't have to take any responsibility if the game does poorly or people aren't able to play it.

Amir0x

Banned
apana said:
Well of course you don't. You don't have to take any responsibility if the game does poorly or people aren't able to play it.

Of course I don't. Of course, everyone will buy Mario anyway with or without SuperGuide. So teaching kids to be retarded gamers is something I won't commend.

When I was a kid, I played Super Mario Bros. and that shit was hard to beat for a five year old. But I beat it. On my own. When I was five years old. Before I knew anything about shortcuts or beanstalks.

Kids today are being taught to be pussies and I'm not going to compliment Nintendo for helping them on their path to pussydom.

Pre

Amir0x said:
Of course I don't. Of course, everyone will buy Mario anyway with or without SuperGuide. So teaching kids to be retarded gamers is something I won't commend.

When I was a kid, I played Super Mario Bros. and that shit was hard to beat for a five year old. But I beat it. On my own. When I was five years old. Before I knew anything about shortcuts or beanstalks.

Kids today are being taught to be pussies and I'm not going to compliment Nintendo for helping them on their path to pussydom.

Your zeal for "hardcoreness" is cartoonish.

apana

Amir0x said:

I think there are some penalties for using super guide correct? I mean you get to skip a level but I think it's noted somehow, and they don't give you all the bonus collectibles. Anyways when did playing Mario become a trial on the path to manhood? It's just a game. Remember it's not just kids, there are also older people and maybe moms who haven't played the games and don't care about being dedicated gamers but just want to have fun.

swerve

Amir0x said:

But, say, Mario Sunshine is a tour de force, start to finish?

I do respect your opinion and your passion, but I am confused at how black and white you see the distinction in focus between GC and Wii.

As I experienced it, Nintendo first party started to fix itself towards the end of the GC - Pikmin 2 is much more challenging, deep, and rewarding than its test-of-concept predecessor, and Jungle Beat was (and is) the 2D platformer I'd wanted since Yoshi's Island. They returned to their usual quality as the Wii was being born, and it continued there with Twilight Princess - far more complete than the rushed Wind Waker was.

As for Smash Bros, you may not appreciate it but you must appreciate that many, many gamers adore that game, and making strides to take it on line, and to add a library of Nintendo nostalgia which is unrivalled in all of gaming, was very gamer centric.

Mario Kart, again sidestepping the taste issue, they made significant strides and attempts to reach out to gamers with the online challenges dished out ever couple weeks, some of which were the closest Mario Kart has been to the SNES version since the GBA, in terms of expert racing. Some of those time trials were *exceptionally* challenging, and even offline the heavy focus on ghost racing against NCL staff, and time trials, is much more gamer-y than Double Dash ever got.

Many gamers regret how NCL treated StarFox on the GameCube, so perhaps that was a blessing leaving it off the Wii. however I do desperately want F-Zero GX 2 and on that I think we can agree.

All I'm saying is, the GameCube was great, but Nintendo have taken much bigger strides to please their core base with Wii (they just failed in the marketing). Even Wario Ware didn't get a proper outing on GameCube but at least it got one on Wii (and Rhythm Heaven is the Wario Ware guys, so it's getting TWO!).

We were all bitching about 1080 GC and WaveRace GC and how short Luigi's Mansion was and omg the fetch quest in Wind Waker and SUNSHINE IS NOT PROPER MARIO. They got their act together in 2005 and I'd say they've been working hard to keep it that way. So it's hard for me to understand your fury at the Wii generation.

I've been meaning to ask you Ami.

Is the purported power of the Cafe at a level you can say is "good enough" or do you think it will be another case of too little too late?

swerve

From The Dust said:
true. but why would they want to play on the controller when their HD tv is right in front of them?

Because upscaled and anti-aliased SNES games will look like ass on a 50" screen.

swerve said:
Because upscaled and anti-aliased SNES games will look like ass on a 50" screen.

That's why they need to use something like blaarg's NTSC filter and a CRT shader (shadow mask emulation).

somrgbntsccomparisonlab.png

RagnarokX

Amir0x said:
Well, the alternative is to make the game easier since Nintendo isn't going to turn down an attempt to get more sales. Super Guide is a much better compromise because the games get to retain a satisfying level of difficulty for long-time players while still allowing novices to get to the end. Everybody wins (literally :p).

Anth0ny

Amir0x said:
Pokemon sucks, Smash Bros. sucks (this is as casual a fighting franchise as it gets... shallow, depthless fighting games are no appeal to me) and they've destroyed Mario Kart with the continual addition of balance breaking items and poor track design so none of those concern me.

disagree, Melee, and I agree ; _ ;

Mafro said:
I disagree, but each to their own.

I think he's right when considering it as a single player game. I only view things differently because I play Pokémon like I play fighting games i.e. competitively. I don't even collect Pokémon, I just go for what I want to use for battling.

The part about Smash I don't get if we're talking about Melee. I played that with a similar approach to the one I have to traditional fighters, and found that 1) most principles applied in some form anyway 2) the variety of options ensured a sufficient level of depth.

Mario Kart as much as I still have fun playing it is pretty much Nintendo trolling us at this point.

ReyVGM

Amir0x said:

Regardless if Pokemon/Smash/Mario Kart sucks or not, it's the same kind of games that they've been making since the GB/N64 era and Nintendo making casual games didn't have anything to do with them sucking or not.

You know, you sometimes say intelligent things, but other times... jeez, you sound like the typical insane gamefaqs fanboy.

Amir0x said:

If you're talking about the main games sure. The competitive scene is a completely different story. I take it that you haven't entered the rabbit hole that is pokemon and I don't advise it lol

Amir0x

Banned
ReyVGM said:
Regardless if Pokemon/Smash/Mario Kart sucks or not, it's the same kind of games that they've been making since the GB/N64 era and Nintendo making casual games didn't have anything to do with them sucking or not.

You know, you sometimes say intelligent things, but other times... jeez, you sound like the typical insane gamefaqs fanboy.

If the quality of the "games they've always made" have dramatically reduced or failed to release at all in any compelling fashion during the rise of the casual genre, then the net result is a markedly inferior Nintendo.

The difference between trying and not trying. It's not a hard concept. You seem to think a success is marking off some checklist instead of actually accomplishing making games you'd want to legitimately play.

Amir0x said:
The actual battle system and strategy gets updated from game to game, and it's actually pretty fucking complicated once you really delve into competitive battling. That's why I keep buying them, anyways.

Also, this reads like one of those "I grew out of playing Mario" posts. Just sayin.

EDIT: What's with all the hardcore/casual nonsense, man? Really?

Zeal

Banned
Pre said:
Your zeal for "hardcoreness" is cartoonish.

that's where i come in. and yes, nintendo has been progressively teaching and rewarding kids for playing games that are essentially designed for retarded people. any idiot can wave his hands in front of a TV with a vcr remote, with dazzling lights and idiotic sounds as their reward.

the Wii is honestly the biggest disgrace of a system in recent memory, and i will never change my opinion. i'm hoping the rumored return of Nintendo to 'real' gaming is the beginning of a new generation of actual games (and opposed to cheaply made shovelware) and return to form.

Amir0x

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
The actual battle system and strategy gets updated from game to game, and it's actually pretty fucking complicated once you really delve into competitive battling. That's why I keep buying them, anyways.

Also, this reads like one of those "I grew out of playing Mario" posts. Just sayin.

I mean, you're saying if I delve into some creepy Pokemon battler network of 13 year olds where i get like a Magic the Gathering time sync obsession i might eventually knock into the substance, but the reality is I play to collect the most monsters I can get and beat the game. if the battle system is not challenged in the game, then it has failed as far as I'm concerned. It's too cheesy. I'm not saying it's not there for someone else, it's just not for me. I think it's shitty game design.

I have no problem playing family games. Mario Galaxy is my favorite game ever. I have problems playing BABY games, where there is no challenge and everyone's hand is being held lest we actually require an individual to distinguish themselves.

I mean, you're saying if I delve into some creepy Pokemon battler network of 13 year olds where i get like a Magic the Gathering time sync obsession i might eventually knock into the substance, but the reality is I play to collect the most monsters I can get and beat the game. if the battle system is not challenged in the game, then it has failed as far as I'm concerned. It's too cheesy. I'm not saying it's not there for someone else, it's just not for me. I think it's shitty game design.
I wouldn't go so far as to say it's shitty game design, I would just say that GF would rather the actual underlying battle system remain simple to the average player. If they actually explained in game (and forced you to learn) how to EV train and IV breed and how to manipulate natures and such I think the average pokemoner's head would explode. Not to mention base stats, type combinations etc. But I can see where you're coming from if you don't want to put in extra time.

I have no problem playing family games. Mario Galaxy is my favorite game ever. I have problems playing BABY games, where there is no challenge and everyone's hand is being held lest we actually require an individual to distinguish themselves.
Too bad, then. I guess I don't care that my niece/nephew play dora/barbie/whatever on their DSs. The more people who play games, the better. And I know you're looking for a challenge but a lot of people play just to have fun.

And on the hardcore/casual stuff, yeah I don't agree.

You've gotta admit, Nintendo pulled off some amazing games with the Wii, which is nothing more than a GameCube 1.5x and several times more RAM. The GPU is basicly a GeForce 256 with embedded RAM. Year-1999 architecture. Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy showed than even with weak hardware, amazing shit is possible. Now give those same teams hardware that is above 360/PS3, I think they'll turn some heads at E3.

Cannot wait.

apana

Zeal said:
that's where i come in. and yes, nintendo has been progressively teaching and rewarding kids for playing games that are essentially designed for retarded people. any idiot can wave his hands in front of a TV with a vcr remote, with dazzling lights and idiotic sounds as their reward.

the Wii is honestly the biggest disgrace of a system in recent memory, and i will never change my opinion. i'm hoping the rumored return of Nintendo to 'real' gaming is the beginning of a new generation of actual games (and opposed to cheaply made shovelware) and return to form.

I didn't realize gaming was a competition or an intelligence test, I thought it was about having fun. Those first few weeks that wii sports was out was the high point of this generation in terms of fun and excitement. Also since when is nsmb a game for retarded people? This argument against super guide is ridiculous.

Pre

I had hoped that we had gotten past the narcissism of "hardcore/casual" distinctions. Most people who complain about the perceived lack of "hardcore" titles only care about their own gaming habits and have no concern that someone other than themselves may want an different experience.

Nintendo has always done a superb job of developing software that appeals to a broad audience. The problems with their software this generation has little to do with the intended audience and more to do with overall mediocrity.

gerg

Amir0x said:

I hate having options too.

I remember having this discussion previously, and IIRC you tried to bring up a distinction between difficulty levels and the Super Guide that made the former somehow more permissible than the latter, one which I couldn't particularly invest in.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
herzogzwei1989 said:
What would happen if Nintendo decided on a 28nm AMD Barts GPU instead of R7xx ? Would that be too hot, too expensive, draw too much power ?
I think R700 is more area efficient, and by dropping to 40 or 28nm they could theoretically add more shaders for a more powerful GPU than what the original R700 was capable of, but it's more likely they would keep it as-is for lower power consumption.

big_z

If they went with 28nm they could push the chip a lot more but it won't happen. If it's true that nintendo was originally aiming for a late 2011 launch then the specs have been done for a while and manufacturing would have to start a few months early. 28nm manufacturing isn't going to start until late this year or early next.

antonz

herzogzwei1989 said:
I thought 28nm manufacturing was to begin soon, since both AMD's Southern Islands and Nvidia's Kepler GPUs are due out later this year.
28nm still needs to reach perfected enough production status even when it starts.

China is reporting Cafe Production starts in October.

32nm is likely the smallest nintendo will go at least for the 1st model. Nintendo likes production runs that have low rates of failures

El oh fucking el at thinking Nintendo "dumbed down" New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Galaxy 2, or DKCR. Arguably the hardest games Nintendo has made in years, and you come up with that shit? Give me a fucking break, amir0x. Try harder.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DeathbyVolcano said:
El oh fucking el at thinking Nintendo "dumbed down" New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Galaxy 2, or DKCR. Arguably the hardest games Nintendo has made in years, and you come up with that shit? Give me a fucking break, amir0x. Try harder.

Right Console wrong title. Radiant Dawn is the hardest game Nintendo has made in years.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
DeathbyVolcano said:
El oh fucking el at thinking Nintendo "dumbed down" New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Galaxy 2, or DKCR.
Mechanically I find NSMB and DKCR to be pretty remedial compared to their predecessors, and have had a number of aspects removed to simplify things.

So...yeah?

Top Bottom