• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

swerve

Oblivion said:
Starfox 64 was NOT 60 fps.

Maybe he's confusing it with Starfox Adventures and/or Assault?

No, just rose-tinted glasses I guess. I'm still super excited for it in 3D. I just wish the machine could easily handle the 120fps required to give us 60fps3D. But this is well off-topic. Sorry! Back to cafe talk!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
blu said:
I don't see anything surprising in that. DS games benefit from the cumulative effect from no parallax barrier plus the sparing GPU load (which, for all we know, could be delegated to a dedicated BC silicon). If the reported 25% increase in battery life when parallax is off is true (I'm yet to get my 3DS) then the parallax power draw is far from trivial.
There seems not to be any BC silicon present, unless is inside the SoC. I agree that the parallax impact on battery life isn't trivial (will the screen still consume more than a regular LCD with it off, though?) Just stating that the GPU/CPU cost isn't, either. And the 3DS still gets considerably worse battery life in DS mode than its predecessors, considering its battery size.

Edit: Even with the 3D off, the 3DS still behind their stated DSi like battery life and just there for DS games, with a significantly bigger battery. I believe that points to an increase of the SoC power draw as well. Not all can be blamed on the screen.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Lonely1 said:
There seems not to be any BC silicon present, unless is inside the SoC.
Well, everything but the memory is inside the SoC. So we really have no indication one way or another whether some BC silicon is inside. If I were to make an educated guess, I'd be more inclined to assume the presence of such silicon (just because DS' graphics silicon was fairly unique, and thus a hurdle to emulate; think ps2's Graphics Synthesizer levels, and then some).

I agree that the parallax impact on battery life isn't trivial (will the screen consume more than a regular LCD will it off, though?) Just stating that the GPU/CPU cost isn't, either. And still falls behind the impact of the screen brightness level, that all other portables suffer.
Brightness is surely an essential factor, but it's a user-controllable option. Parallax barrier is indispensable for the 3D effect.

As whether the screen would consume more than a similar screen without a barrier - I guess not, but we don't know what 'a similar screen' stands for in this case. Different LCD technologies have different power requirements.

Even with the 3D off, the 3DS still behind their stated DSi like battery life and just there for DS games, with a significantly bigger battery. I believe that points to an increase of the SoC power draw as well. Not all can be blamed on the screen.
I need to get a 3DS one of these days and then I'll be able to check for myself, but I'm curious what is the reported battery delta for DS and DSi titles, respectively.

Would be pretty cool if the controller or the system had a 3DS cart slot on it and you could play 3DS games on a 3DTV with the controller screen substituting the touch screen. Two consoles in one!

Just a thought.

EDIT: Eh, on second thought, they wouldn't even release handheld titles on Wii Virtual Console. They probably don't want to blow up the picture on 3DS games any more than they really have to.

Lupin the Wolf said:
Would be pretty cool if the controller or the system had a 3DS cart slot on it and you could play 3DS games on a 3DTV with the controller screen substituting the touch screen. Two consoles in one!

Just a thought.

ew. 240p on a HD screen

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Lupin the Wolf said:

Just a thought.
I'm not sure Nintendo wants to damage further 3DS hardware sales.

ReyVGM

Oh it's on!

Video game fans around the globe are invited to bookmark http://e3.nintendo.com in their browsers as Nintendo prepares to offer a virtual front-row seat at this year’s E3 Expo in Los Angeles. A live webcast of Nintendo’s E3 Expo 2011 media presentation will begin at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Tuesday, June 7. Immediately following the presentation, fans can enjoy additional Nintendo Network coverage on the site, including interviews, game trailers and special video segments. A variety of exclusive content will also be available on the Nintendo® Channel, which is accessible to anyone with a Wii™ console that is connected to the Internet.

The E3 Expo, scheduled to take place June 7-9 at the Los Angeles Convention Center, is among the year’s biggest events for the global video game industry. Exclusive Nintendo Network programming will be viewable at http://e3.nintendo.com and on the Nintendo Channel throughout the week, offering the latest information and updates on Nintendo’s announcements.

jacksrb

ReyVGM said:
Oh it's on!

For as midieval as Nintendo feels with most of the press, I really enjoy the Iwata Asks and they did a nice job with video features at last years' E3.

For those who didn't check it out, they had daily show floor reports, as well as video Iwata Asks for :
- 3DS hardware
- Kid Icarus Uprising
- Epic Mickey
- Donkey Kong Country Returns
- LoZ Skyward Sword
- etc

Pretty cool.

Lonely1 said:
No 3DS player? :eek:

Certainly not one they're announcing this early, anyway. They might make a last-minute announcement on the 6th. But, hey, it's also possible it won't be streamed on 3DS, just trailers shown in clips and bits after-the-fact.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Lonely1 said:
No 3DS player? :eek:

I'm guessing the May Update being moved to the day of E3 means they will be announcing all of the features at E3 along with a 3DS's around the world are downloading the update RIGHT NOW! at the end.

Therefore I'm assuming all feature announcements pertaining to the 3DS update will be saved for E3, meaning a 3DS player (which will most likely contain this exclusive E3 Nintendo content) will not be acknowledged by Nintendo until during/after E3.

Edit: Beaten lol :p

Skiesofwonder said:
I'm guessing the May Update being moved to the day of E3 means they will be announcing all of the features at E3 along with a 3DS's around the world are downloading the update RIGHT NOW! at the end.

Therefore I'm assuming all feature announcements pertaining to the 3DS update will be saved for E3, meaning a 3DS player (which will most likely contain this exclusive E3 Nintendo content) will not be acknowledged by Nintendo until during/after E3.

Edit: Beaten lol :p
E-shop opens on the 6th in NA. The day before E3

swerve said:
Yoshi's Island is more likely for 3DS than Cafe, no?
I don't think so. Doesn't seem to be much of a 2D/3D gameplay split anymore. NSMB Wii, Kirby's Epic Yarn, DKC Returns on one side, Super Mario 3DS on the other.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
swerve said:
Yoshi's Island is more likely for 3DS than Cafe, no?

And the Yoshi team at EAD isn't going to not make an NSMB in favor of a similar but less grossing Yoshi platformer. Which would mean a similar situation to Yoshi's Island 2. I don't want that.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
And the Yoshi team at EAD isn't going to not make an NSMB in favor of a similar but less grossing Yoshi platformer. Which would mean a similar situation to Yoshi's Island 2. I don't want that.
The problem with Yoshi's Island 2 was that they had situations were you'd have to use one of the babies. I still liked the game, but it was pretty tough. If they were to release a Yoshi's Island 3, it would be nice to just make the game play like the first one.

I really hope Cafe has a pixel fillrate of 8000 ~ 12,000 Mpixels/sec, or 2-3 times more than 360/PS3 (4000 Mpixels/sec).
That's going to be needed if Cafe runs games in 1080p.

i.e. 16 ROPs @ 500 MHz would provide Cafe with a decent fillrate, 8000 Mpixels/sec.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
If a new Yoshi platformer happens, no doubt it's going to coming from Good Feel.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Smiles and Cries said:
okay now the design of that page can give us clues :D

I see wavy pattern

edit: what the hell its moving

Yeah, that's gotta be the logo for Cafe'. It's the same thing (well, it's an outline of) the wavy pattern on the European E3 invitation.

Going by that, the final name will be Stream.

GDGF said:
Yeah, that's gotta be the logo for Cafe'. It's the same thing (well, it's an outline of) the wavy pattern on the European E3 invitation.

Going by that, the final name will be Stream.

was the NOE invite real?

I don't mind Stream at all it would be cool to see a logo for it

herzogzwei1989 said:
I just read that the Modern Warfare 3 trailer will debut at 6pm Eastern tonight during the Western Conference Finals. Hopefully Cafe gets a port.

Doesn't MW3 come out this fall? Why would you want a port next year that won't sell for shit?

KrawlMan

comedy bomb said:
Doesn't MW3 come out this fall? Why would you want a port next year that won't sell for shit?

Exactly. Nintendo can't just get last years leftovers. Sure, it could be a definitive version of the game, but when half a year has already gone by since the game launched on 360/PS3 it doesn't sound quite so enticing.

KrawlMan said:
Exactly. Nintendo can't just get last years leftovers. Sure, it could be a definitive version of the game, but when half a year has already gone by since the game launched on 360/PS3 it doesn't sound quite so enticing.

So I guess Cafe will get whatever CoD comes out in 2012, okay.

Heres a thought: If the Cafe controller took the same screen ratio as the lower screen of the 3DS, a 3DS could be used to stream both screens of the Cafe. This would enable all 3DS to act as Cafe controller and to stream full duel-screen Cafe games with 3D in the upper screen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Van Owen said:
Nintendo can't trademark Stream.

They can, AFAIK. You can trademark common words as long as you use a specific class, and realise you won't have a monopoly on the word if others register the same word in other classes. So Nintendo could get the monopoly on the word 'Stream' for videogame systems.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
gofreak said:
They can, AFAIK. You can trademark common words as long as you use a specific class, and realise you won't have a monopoly on the word if others register the same word in other classes. So Nintendo could get the monopoly on the word 'Stream' for videogame systems.
Yeah, I'm pretty damn sure that Valve has some kind of trademark on Steam as it applies to video game distribution.

(first thing I thought of since its so similar)

IGN has posted its E3 predictions--here's the Cafe part

(incoming meltdown)

We will see a bunch of new Project Cafe games, including a new Mario title

very likely.

Nintendo is showing off its system for the very first time, and cool-looking games are the quickest way to impress. Yes, you will see many games for Project Cafe -- that's almost guaranteed. Will one of those games star the chubby little plumber? We don't know, but it wouldn't shock us if Mario was in attendance.

Nintendo will announce that Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword will be a launch title for Project Cafe.

hmm ...maabybe

Nintendo's got a tough decision to make with Skyward Sword. On one hand the company has set this precedent before, when Twilight Princess was shifted from the GameCube to be a Wii launch title. On the other hand, we won't see the new Nintendo system till 2012, which means the Wii is looking at a pretty barren release schedule this fall if Skyward Sword gets taken out of the mix. This one could definitely go either way.

Grand Theft Auto V will be announced.

no way in hell.

It's been three years since GTA IV came out, which means a lot of people are champing at the bit to see what comes next for Rockstar's signature franchise. Unfortunately, we're pretty sure you're going to have to keep waiting for the foreseeable future. Rockstar isn't on the E3 show floor in any official capacity, which means the company -- or any of the games its working on -- probably won't be there at all.

http://games.ign.com/articles/116/1169657p1.html

I'm trusting superannuation over IGN on GTAV. (That it'll be at E3 in some form, not that it'll be announced at Nintendo's press conference, I mean.)

Basically: UH DUH, stuff.
Of course we'll see Cafe games (maybe Mario, but I doubt it, since that would make 4!!! Mario games at E3).
Skyward Sword isn't going to Cafe, however.

AceBandage said:
Skyward Sword isn't going to Cafe, however.

I agree. Skyward Sword will be released to a near-100M userbase, No way it'll goto Cafe, not even like Twilight Princess was on both GameCube and Wii.

Cafe will get its own HD Zelda

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Father_Brain said:
I'm trusting superannuation over IGN on GTAV. (That it'll be at E3 in some form, not that it'll be announced at Nintendo's press conference, I mean.)

Rockstar wont be at E3.

Top Bottom