• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Impossible" EmDrive still not officially disproven after further tests

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would take an entirely new series of tests inside a vacuum to confirm the theory, but the evidence so far supports it. There's no reason to believe they funded those tests and carried them out in 5 months.
They just finished new tests in a vacuum iot rule out anomalies...

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Reactionless drive? Uhm...

"...a trip to mars could take a week instead of 6 months."​

WHAT? Holy... WHAT?

Honestly, it still depends largely on the coincidence of the orbits.

It would take an entirely new series of tests inside a vacuum to confirm the theory, but the evidence so far supports it. There's no reason to believe they funded those tests and carried them out in 5 months.

Didn't they already test it inside a vacuum a while back?

Gintamen

So that's not the iondrive I've been reading about in german VDI newspaper this week? The one that is tested in a super vacuum in an aerospace center currently? It only works in space obviously, but those maximum speeds, damn.

Finally we rebuilt the copper frustum test article so that it is now fully integrated with the RF VCO, PLL, 100W RF amp, dual directional coupler, 3-stub tuner and connecting coax cables, then mounted this integrated test article at the opposite end of the torque pendulum, as far away as possible from the 2nd generation magnetic damper where only the required counterbalance weights now reside.​
I was wondering when they were going to get around to that.
This must be what it's like for someone watching Star Trek for the first time.

Decouple the warp drive, reverse the polarity on the hull, and check the gel packs for contamination!

mclem

Until there's something literally in space using this engine I still don't expect it to work.

I am surprised it's lasted this long though.

I think we're at least at the stage that even if it's not a viable engine in the end, there's something interesting here that might drive us forward in some way.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is it bad that I want China to perfect this and make it functional first so it makes the US government get off their ass and see that a new Space race I necessary?
Another Space Age dick measure contest would be sweet.

Busty

Banned
NeoGaf fun fact No 1248 -- "Impossible Engine" is also the nickname for my penis.

Finally we rebuilt the copper frustum test article so that it is now fully integrated with the RF VCO, PLL, 100W RF amp, dual directional coupler, 3-stub tuner and connecting coax cables, then mounted this integrated test article at the opposite end of the torque pendulum, as far away as possible from the 2nd generation magnetic damper where only the required counterbalance weights now reside.​
I was wondering when they were going to get around to that.

HA!

;)

Par Score

I remain sceptical, but good to see this thing is still chugging along

I agree. Unless we can use it for something practical and within the next 5 years then forget about it. You would think we would be hearing more about something that could potentially change mankind as we know it. I guess this makes it junk science? Or are organizations secretly behind the scenes going full steam ahead??? .

I really hope you're never put in charge of any major infrastructure projects, or anything at all really.

That sort of now-or-never short-termism is the cause of a hell of a lot of ills in our society today.

That's a pretty old post to be digging up at this point.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Be careful what you wish for with this. As soon as we go an appreciable percentage of the speed of light I'm betting we get contacted or vaporized.

Samyy

Be careful what you wish for with this. As soon as we go an appreciable percentage of the speed of light I'm betting we get contacted or vaporized.

Light speed is nothing though
I mean in terms of traversing even our galaxy, it would take many years to complete trips to nearby solar systems, I think the closest is 4 light years away. You also have to take into account acceleration and deacceleration time which would make the trip longer.
And then obviously you take into account relativity and while trips will take 4+ years for the astronaut, it would be many more on Earth, I think?

Vagabundo

Fuck it. Throw together a couple of these things into something small with a solar power source and fire it up in LEO and see if it works. Who cares if we don't know exactly how it does it, that will come eventually.

RedShift

Fuck it. Throw together a couple of these things into something small with a solar power source and fire it up in LEO and see if it works. Who cares if we don't know exactly how it does it, that will come eventually.

Rockets ain't cheap. People are going to want to be a bit more hopeful this actually works first.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I mean in terms of traversing even our galaxy, it would take many years to complete trips to nearby solar systems, I think the closest is 4 light years away. You also have to take into account acceleration and deacceleration time which would make the trip longer.
And then obviously you take into account relativity and while trips will take 4+ years for the astronaut, it would be many more on Earth, I think?

The point is that if the impossible drive works, aliens discovered it millions and billions of years ago, and for security must be observing us even now, in our orbit ready to strike. Because an object that can be accelerated at the speed of light is a planet destroyer.

Vagabundo

The point is that if the impossible drive works, aliens discovered it millions and billions of years ago, and for security must be observing us even now, in our orbit ready to strike. Because an object that can be accelerated at the speed of light is a planet destroyer.

What if we're the first Aliens. Intelligent life might just take a really long time to develop and Earth is among the first of those types of planets.

They did vacuum tests awhile ago. Previous pages were talking about the vacuum test.

eot

Banned

Relativity means it will take at least 4 years of Earth time. There's no lower bound on how short the trip is for the astronaut.

Say it does work. Would all research in traditional rockets suddenly drop?

Nope. You still need those things to get out of atmosphere.

But once in space you switch over to the emdrive. Unless somehow the emdrive can scale upwards then it's borderline magical and can replace rockets but i doubt that will happen.

edit:

Someone should put this on the OP.

http://emdrive.wiki/Main_Page

It's pretty much a compilation of research and documentation.

How many times does something that test that it exist that people start believing.

How about build the damn thing and launch it into LEO and see if it works or not.

dubc35

How many times does something that test that it exist that people start believing.

How about build the damn thing and launch it into LEO and see if it works or not.

Scientists and engineers don't work in the believe or do not believe realm. Either it is explainable with facts and data and repeatable results or it requires more testing. As far as launching it, it costs ~$10,000 usd per pound to launch something into orbit. So cost would be a big factor in "how about build it and launch it." Regardless to all that, it is exciting.

It also doesn't help that there is no visible way of knowing it's actually working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P3pzbEnwuA

Could be wind, gravity, heat, pyschic energy, alien, who knows what generating the thrust. The tests are there to confirm what is the actual anomalous thrust with zero outside interference, then work it out from there.

The crazy thing is, if this is proven to work, this is the first step. Huge vats of money would be thrown at the thing, because every 10% gain in propulsion from the engine would reduce space travel costs and difficulty massively.

If this works, and they can master the tech, it's entirely possible that the increase in thrust from the engine could be made high enough that the holy grail of fast, reliable space flight might happen in our lifetimes. Your kids might go to Mars in the same time it's take you to fly to Australia and back from the States or something.

Would this be practical for air travel? Like could a jet ascend to 50,000 feet and switch to an em drive?

The current setup seems appealing because it would be a way to apply a relatively small acceleration continuously for ages and ages. I don't think it'd be useful at a distance like that.

Par Score said:
I really hope you're never put in charge of any major infrastructure projects, or anything at all really.

That sort of now-or-never short-termism is the cause of a hell of a lot of ills in our society today.

Well you would be surprised but I am actually in charge of major infrastructure projects, and I am doing quite well with this mentality. Would it have made a difference if I had said 5-10 years?

Short-termism as you coin it is a necessity in my opinion. I find that sometimes having the light under your ass tends to get things done. People tend to rally together when there is a hard deadline.

To be honest I have found in my travels that those with your mentality of long-termism(see what I did there?) tend to bring processes down with low results and with that comes low moral. That also can kill projects.

Man

One would hope that space gets really tightly regulated for the next 1000 years if this pans out. Imagine some religious country sending up a payload into space that will eventually return at the speed of light, cracking the planet in half, so that all believers can reunite in heaven etc.

deefol

One would hope that space gets really tightly regulated for the next 1000 years if this pans out. Imagine some religious country sending up a payload into space that will eventually return at the speed of light, cracking the planet in half, so that all believers can reunite in heaven etc.

Sounds almost too specific...Bush is that you?

Machina

Banned
Wow. When you ask NASA how this thing works and the only answer they can give you is "We don't have a fucking clue", you know that something special is happening.

So, is that good?

We're basically talking public transport at a Solar System level here.

"An Emdrive-based launch system would be undetectable and could arrive from any direction, leaving the target of an attack no way of knowing who to retaliate against."

thats scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom