• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impressions of Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door (Or: the official thread)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Speaking of Rawk Hawk, I'm right before Chapter 6, and since one of the Troubles required that I return to Glitzville, I decided to reenter the Glitz Pit and reclaim the #1 spot. Easily done, of course, but when you show up for the championship match, everyone used to say "GONZALES!! GONZALESS!!" And they still do, only this time there's this one dude who says, "Jumpan, wha??"

Hahahah, funny.

Also, I was surprised that they through in a "hidden" (or at least optional) character in this game. Fun!

Mejilan said:
Speaking of Rawk Hawk, I'm right before Chapter 6, and since one of the Troubles required that I return to Glitzville, I decided to reenter the Glitz Pit and reclaim the #1 spot.

The interesting thing is, you don't even have to wait that long. I went for it at the start of Chapter 5, which turns the Glitz Pit into a bigtime xp/money situation; just get the #1 spot again, and as the champ you can keep fighting the #1 contestant (one guess who that is) over and over with only the "use 1 special" stipulation. You get 20 coins and 8-10 xp (based on how high your level is). The battle itself is super easy to win if you use two characters with the consecutive jump ability, and super fast if you use the stat pumping star move on the first turn.

So, 10-13 fights = 1 level up and 200-260 coins.

One thing I didn't realize until recently is that the flower attacks each have their own stylish setups. I was surprised when I used the power hammer and pulled off three consecutive backflips to pump up the stylish bonus.

Anybody else levelling almost exclusively for badge points? I started Chapter 6 and have 25HP, but even 10 points of that are from badges (I've got 48points for it)

Mejilan

Yeah, actually, I mistyped that, I was before Chapter 7, not before Chapter 6. And you can attempt to reclaim the #1 spot right after Chapter 3, I just didn't bother because I didn't feel liking fighting those fights over again. Still, once I did finally attain championship again, I did keep on challenging Rawk Hawk until I leveled up one more time (6xp per win.) I already had my money maxxed, however.

Edit - With the Power Smash hammer attack, you can get 4 Stylishes, and with the Power Jump (or Bounce, I forget), like 6 Stylishes!

Edit 2 - Like in the original Paper Mario, I brought my HP to 25, my FP to 20, and the rest of my levels (24 so far) have gone exclusively into BPs. And I haven't even bothered to equip the HP or FP boosting Badges yet!

mattx5

Oh man this game rawks! :D

I've been playing for 5 hours so far and I'm just starting the Boggly Woods. I've been exploring a bit :)

Damn, everything is so awesome, there's so much I have to discover. Right now my HP is at 15, my FP at 15 and my BP at 9. I'm thinking I'll bring up my HP to 25, my FP to 25, and the rest of my points into BP. How's that sound?

Also, two questions -

First - How do I pull of stylish moves?

Second - In the sewers, I bought the SPECIAL from that Merloo wizard guy for 50 coins. Only problem is, from what I can see, all he did was spin me around in a box and tell me good fortune lay ahead. Isn't he supposed to give me somthing or is he a waste of money?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
mattx5 said:

I've been playing for 5 hours so far and I'm just starting the Boggly Woods. I've been exploring a bit :)

Damn, everything is so awesome, there's so much I have to discover. Right now my HP is at 15, my FP at 15 and my BP at 9. I'm thinking I'll bring up my HP to 25, my FP to 25, and the rest of my points into BP. How's that sound?

Also, two questions -

Second - In the sewers, I bought the SPECIAL from that Merloo wizard guy for 50 coins. Only problem is, from what I can see, all he did was spin me around in a box and tell me good fortune lay ahead. Isn't he supposed to give me somthing or is he a waste of money?

Fight some battles. You'll see. :D

mattx5 said:
I'm thinking I'll bring up my HP to 25, my FP to 25, and the rest of my points into BP. How's that sound?

Also, two questions -

I just finished Chapter 5 and I've currently got 15HP, 10FP, anf 48BP. I haven't yet needed HP or FP above that. I am using the badges
Flower Saver and FP drain, which makes Mario's 2FP attacks take 0FP
, so that probably helps (and is a lot of fun, too boot!).

Stylish moves, try some of the following:
Mario Jump: Push A at the top of his bounce off an enemy.
Mario Hammer: Push A as soon as the hammer connects with an enemy, and then again as Mario is back-flipping.
Koops: Push A after he bounces off an enemy when Shell Tossing
Yoshi: Push A as he pauses above an enemy and then again as he jumps away from an enemy.

That should be enough to get you started. You can also by a Stylish Training badge from the fat dude in RoguePort Square.

Merloo's charm is random battle effects. It can be pretty useful. It will randomly
decrease the damage you take, increase your attack, double the star points from a battle, and double the coins from a battle.

mattx5

Do you get anything for collecting all the tattles?

Because I forgot to tattle the dragon while I was fighting it :(

Mejilan

Oy lord, the beginning of Chapter 7 SUCKED. Almost as bad as the desert in PM1. The only real blemish in an otherwise utterly brilliant game, imho.

Well, the trouble sidequests totally suck too, actually.

Mejilan

Damn. I'm about 36 hours in and only in Chapter 7. Granted, I'm not rushing, but I wonder how much some of you guys missed...

Mejilan

Ahh. Shame. One of the Trouble quests nets you a new player character (Ms. Mouz) and you can get some FANTASTIC badges from the Pit of 100 Trials, AND an upgrade that allows you to carry 20 items instead of 10.

Yeah I knew I missed that stuff... and also
atomic boo(?), the hidden Pinata minigames
. But I did make a point of talking to everyone I saw, getting Goombella's opinion of everyone, tattling everything, and getting all the room descriptions.

Mejilan

Yeah, I got the 4 cards for the Pianta minigames too. There a decent enough distraction. I found Atomic Boo totally by accident... AFTER I had beaten the Steeple.

mattx5

Are the Tattles just there for novelty? Nothing happens if you collect them all right? Because I missed some (that I can only get once)...

Deku Tree

mattx5 said:
Are the Tattles just there for novelty? Nothing happens if you collect them all right? Because I missed some (that I can only get once)...

I don't think you get anything for getting all the tattles, at least that's what I've heard from a few people but I haven't started chapter 7 yet.

Speevy

Banned
Still no MP3's?

There's this one song on the Excess Express that I want. Not the horrible theme to Poshley Heights, and not the Detective music, but the other one.

mattx5

Oh man, I'm almost done Chapter 3 now :D I just beat Rawk Hawk, and now I'm trying to find the ghost.

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Couple of questions -

What do I need to upgrade my partners the second time?

My 'curse' hasn't come into play once throughout Chapter 3. I take it this is a sign that it's worn off? :(

GaimeGuy

mattx5 said:
Oh man, I'm almost done Chapter 3 now :D I just beat Rawk Hawk, and now I'm trying to find the ghost.

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

Couple of questions -

What do I need to upgrade my partners the second time?

My 'curse' hasn't come into play once throughout Chapter 3. I take it this is a sign that it's worn off? :(

You need the Up Arrow, which will help you find the Ultra Stone.

... but that's not until the end of chapter 5. ;)

mattx5 said:

The 'curses' from the chests are permanent gameplay abilities - Nintendo is just riffing on an event they introduced first with A Link to the Past where vengeful creatures would curse the player with something good. The boat one in particular is quite funny because Nintendo realized how tired the joke was.

Merlee's paid benefits on the other hand are temporary as explained previously.

As for favorite partner (aside from the optional one) I'd pick Koops purely on his backstory (whipped, hah!) but Bobbery is definitely the most versatile battle partner so far.

GaimeGuy

Dragona Akehi said:
Lemme guess, Bobbery = Bob-omb dude?

HIS NAME IS BAREL ASLJDAKSJDKLADAKSJDA.

DAMN YOU NOA.

JUST LIKE GENIS' REAL NAME IS GENIUS DAMN TRANSLATIONS!

... yeah...

Dragona Akehi said:
Lemme guess, Bobbery = Bob-omb dude?

Just for you Dragona, a quick and dirty name list...obviously spoilers abound for those not this far in the game...

Mario's Wrestling Alias: Great Gonzales
Aspiring Student Goomba: Goombella
Whipped Boyfriend Koopa: Koops
Actress Cloud: Madame Flurrie
Furies/Flurries Member: Vivian
Sailor Bomb: Admiral Bobbery
Mouser Thief: Ms. Mowz
Dragon Boss: Hooktail
Robot Boss: Magnus Von Grapple
Glitz Pit Owner: Grubba
Blanket Ghost: Doopliss
Pirate Ghost Boss: Cortez
Big Xnaut Boss: Lord Gradus
Main underling of Xnaut boss: Lord Crump

I'd say more but I'm just starting Chapter six.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
So... just out of curiosity...

How many of you
read the diary
in chapter 6? ...owned ;_;

Gwarg. Some of those names are just bad, in my opinion. Some of them are really good too.
(Like Ms. Mowz instead of Chuchurina, which was also cute.)

I just really wish they left:

Christine instead of Goombella
Clouda instead of Flurrie
Barel instead of whatever the fuck it was...

I'm just enthralled that
Vivian kept her name, because she totally rocks

This isn't on the level of Genis/Genius either in terms of name bitching. Genius and Refill, while I'm a) used to it and b) love the Engrish, really aren't good names. The ones I'm complaining about though, really are. :|

LukeSmith

I've just finished the second chapter, and so far the game is enjoyable, but not exceptional. It feels like a series of fetch quests to me and running around and the combat doesnt really do much for me either. The art direction is spectacular and the game is fun, but this walk around get item use item to get something else take item back to someone -- doesn't really do much for me.

GaimeGuy

Bobbery. His name is Admiral Bobbery. :D

I could really care less WHAT they name them. The characters kick ass, that's all that matters.

GaimeGuy

Scoot said:
I've just finished the second chapter, and so far the game is enjoyable, but not exceptional. It feels like a series of fetch quests to me and running around and the combat doesnt really do much for me either. The art direction is spectacular and the game is fun, but this walk around get item use item to get something else take item back to someone -- doesn't really do much for me.

Well, they're optional, at least, unlike some other games...

Before I forget, I have to say the best running gag in the game is all of Mario's aliases. Hardly anybody uses his regular name. From Yoshi and the general populace calling him
Great Gonzales
, the elder calling him
Marty-o
, the Detective calling him
Luigi
, and my personal favorite (and last name I thought I'd hear in a Nintendo game) -
G-Money.

MrCheez

Crazymoogle said:
Before I forget, I have to say the best running gag in the game is all of Mario's aliases. Hardly anybody uses his regular name. From Yoshi and the general populace calling him
Great Gonzales
, the elder calling him
Marty-o
, the Detective calling him
Luigi
, and my personal favorite (and last name I thought I'd hear in a Nintendo game) -
G-Money.

I LOVE the
Great Gonzales
thing. Cracks me up just thinking about it. :)

MrCheez

impirius said:
I'm doing the side quests now... I don't want this game to end :(

I know what you mean... but even after it does
they set it up nicely to give you some incentive to keep playing, at least for a little while to go back and finish some optional things up. :)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Ha ha I have a complete opposite opinion of Dragona's. I think the US names are leagues better than the Japanese ones, they have more character and are far more unique. Does it really matter? No not at all but I just wanted to throw my opinion out there.

MrCheez said:
How many of you
read the diary
in chapter 6? ...owned ;_;

What happened? I feared the possible retribution!

MrCheez

TekunoRobby said:
What happened? I feared the possible retribution!

The ghost yells at you and....... instant death. O_O Thank God I saved right before.

MrCheez

Yeah, you only get to read like one line of it before the ownage. >_<

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
ROFL very funny! Another "oh shit" moment was
when the gold bob-bomb demanded all of your money in order to get the cannon working, I had ~450 coins saved up at that moment and I simply couldn't beleive it. Thank god I didn't have to give it up!

I'm running through the X-Naut base and
I just jumped through a grating down into a changing room and came out like a mini 8-bit mario! If you scroll through your partners all of them appear NES-ized, very funny.
I like how ever Mario RPG game includes this little nod.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Deku Tree said:
Did anyone read the Luigi books? I'm on the fence and wondering if it's worth my time.

I have one and it's pretty funny. He gives tips on how to be successful and stuff.

How many books are there supposed to be?

Top Bottom