• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a hole in the ground, there lived a HOBBIT TRAILER

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first I was like,

"The hobbit, eh? Book never gripped me as much as LotR, but I'm sure it'll be good..."

After watching the trailer, the hype levels are off the charts! My god, it's beautiful.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
:O so good

*splooge*

We are indeed shooting at the higher frame rate. The key thing to understand is that this process requires both shooting and projecting at 48 frames/s, rather than the usual 24 frames/s (The great majority of films have been shot at 24 frames per second since the late 1920s). So the result looks like normal speed, but the image has hugely enhanced clarity and smoothness. Looking at 24 frames every second may seem ok–and we've all seen thousands of films like this over the last 90 years–but there is often quite a lot of blur in each frame, during fast movements and if the camera is moving around quickly, the image can judder or "strobe." Shooting and projecting at 48 frames/s does a lot to get rid of these issues. It looks much more lifelike and it is much easier to watch, especially in 3-D

Interesting, didn't know that

Puddles

Banned
Great work on that OP, Sculli!

Everyone in the "another poster called the OP privileges!!!" crew are goddamn crybabies.

LCfiner

I totally got suckered by the LOTR theme playing over the Gollum reveal. Love that bit of music.

And maybe I’m just being picky but I find that it’s weird how some of the dwarves have the enlarged noses and more cartoonish features while others are just, well, dudes with beards. It’s almost as though the extent of the deformation of the face is going to determine how much of comic relief the character will be.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Having a huge OP for a trailer is stupid as fuck. Seriously keep that shit in the gaming forum (or more preferably off the site.)

Monocle

DAT ENDING. And then I saw the release date.....1 year away. FUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.
Seriously. I was like, "Woo! It's out in December!"

oWzfW.gif

"Oh yeah, next December."

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I dunno how you can dedicate a thread to a re-read; the book is super short and can be finished in one sitting.
One can always add 'The History of the Hobbit', to give an even better insight into Tolkien's thinking when he was devising the story.

s3o57.png

Some wonderful insight in these two books.

Kingbrave

These trailers made my shitty day better. The last of my grandparents passed away today, so it's nice to have something to take my mind off of shit. My grandmother read me The Hobbit when I was a kid so it's kind of odd they release it the day she passes.

Some of these dwarves just look like regular dudes.

only...they're kinda short. And the crew has already acknowledged that Kili is "the sexy dwarf" lol

These trailers made my shitty day better. The last of my grandparents passed away today, so it's nice to have something to take my mind off of shit. My grandmother read me The Hobbit when I was a kid so it's kind of odd they release it the day she passes.

Oh wow, sorry for your loss mate.

I came to appreciate the Lord of the Rings films a lot more in the past year or so (probably because I read the Song of Ice and Fire series and became more interested in/open to fantasy), so I'm pretty excited after seeing this trailer.

;_;

bengraven

I dunno how you can dedicate a thread to a re-read; the book is super short and can be finished in one sitting.

I'll do one in October/November of next year. And while it's short, re-read threads are lots of fun to discuss, especially since it will help people who are going to be reading it for the first time and who may want to discuss it with other people.

It's poetic in a very real, beautiful way.

I'm truly sorry for your loss.

So, as someone who didn't read the books all this looks like a slightly different rehash of the first LOTR trilogy. Definitely on the lower tier of anticipation for me.

Pau

Okay caved in from keeping a complete media blackout (didn't even knowing who the hell was cast in the film) and watched the trailer.

I need the music yesterday.

I don't even remember too much of the book, haven't read it in years. Just so excited for a return to Middle Earth.

Was a big Batman fanboy, but frankly this is numero uno priority for me (even above a new Malick film)

I need the music yesterday.

indeed. Just give Howard Shore the oscar right now.

bengraven

Edmond Dantès;33635452 said:
One can always add 'The History of the Hobbit', to give an even better insight into Tolkien's thinking when he was devising the story.

s3o57.png

Some wonderful insight in these two books.

Oh eff me, I need this.

I saw them in hardcover at my local bookstore a couple years ago, but couldn't afford them. Thanks for reminding me they exist.

I also really want to get the History of Middleearth series (War of the Ring, Fall of Isengard, Morgoth's Ring, etc) but can never find them for a decent price.

bengraven

Thorin's beard and mustache look pretty fake though. He looks a bit too clean, tbh.

Only complaint.

Other than that "wait!" moment where Martin Freeman is doing that fucked up skipping/running/hopping silly walk.

artist

Banned
Looks rancid. I'm done with the LOTR stuff, probably why. I remember used to being an LOTR fanboy on the BOM forums :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom