• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a hole in the ground, there lived a HOBBIT TRAILER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dat music... gets me EVERY fucking time. Much better trailer than the TDKR one in my opinion. Does a better job of outlining the plot and structure of the story instead of just being moody and cryptic. Sets the fantasy mood very nicely, though at the same time the dwarves company looks a little bit too quirky and unrealistic to me.

Bring it on.

bengraven

http://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/The_Hobbit_0120111220_0052.jpg

I like this guy. The calm intensity he gives off while pulling his pipe from his mouth is great.

Much like Gandalf.

I could sit and watch Gandalf glowering in the corner smoking a pipe (like two shots from this trailer) for 3.5 hours alone.

So, as someone who didn't read the books all this looks like a slightly different rehash of the first LOTR trilogy. Definitely on the lower tier of anticipation for me.

So you just posted those 115 images from the trailer because your job paid you to, then, or what?

( ;) just kidding around, I like you)

Looks rancid. I'm done with the LOTR stuff, probably why. I remember used to being an LOTR fanboy on the BOM forums :/

Understood. Later. Call again sometime when you're in the neighborhood.

So you just posted those 115 images from the trailer because your job paid you to, then, or what?

It looks gorgeous, I'm just talking about the story elements. I'm sure I'll have a warm, nostalgic feeling watching the film but I can't see myself being that affected by it.

apana

http://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/The_Hobbit_0120111220_0052.jpg

I like this guy. The calm intensity he gives off while pulling his pipe from his mouth is great.

Much like Gandalf.

I could sit and watch Gandalf glowering in the corner smoking a pipe (like two shots from this trailer) for 3.5 hours alone.

What? He doesn't even look like a dwarf, he's just some dude sitting there. The old one was the best of the lot.

bengraven

It looks gorgeous, I'm just talking about the story elements. I'm sure I'll have a warm, nostalgic feeling watching the film but I can't see myself being that affected by it.

To be honest, it's very different from LOTR.

The plan from the outset is actually one part caper and one part revenge story. Hell, Bilbo's role in the story is a "burglar" in this caper, though there's no demo guy and no safe cracker.

It's a "job that must be done" much like the ring being thrown in the fires, but this job is self-serving and more about gold and jewels and the return of the dwarves homes.

In a way it's like a Western. Think War Wagon, Great Train Robbery, or Good, The Bad, The Ugly. They gather the men and go off to rob a big fucking dragon.

Then once they get to the mountain, things happen and there's a few "twists" (not M Night style twists, but unexpected things such as a war).

What? He doesn't even look like a dwarf, he's just some dude sitting there.

In fairness, Tolkien never said his dwarves were small, rolly polly stout men. Many classic LOTR artists, even half a century ago, just drew them as shorter regular humans. They are not dwarves in the modern, "little people" sense and they are not the small, wide heavily bearded dwarves of modern fantasy/videogames.

He based them more on the perceptions of early gnome stories while giving them Norse dwarf elements.

Not once does he call them round or stout.

Them being shorter than a normal Man alone is canon itself.

See also here: http://www.quicksilver899.com/Tolkien_Gallery/TolkienGallery7.html

Monocle

How pretty something is means nothing if the movie is a bore.

Believe it or not, not everyone was entertained by seeing people walk across valleys and mountains for what felt like hours before something new in the plot happened.
There's more to a good movie than a plot that constantly slams your nose into fresh piles of excitement. You'll find much to enjoy in a story's calmer intervals if you can push away that urge to find out what happens next and simply appreciate the moment.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The dwarves look like cartoons. They didn't in the other movies.

Aaron

So, as someone who didn't read the books all this looks like a slightly different rehash of the first LOTR trilogy. Definitely on the lower tier of anticipation for me.
That trailer was obviously cut for people who had read the books. Maybe they'll do a different trailer for people who haven't, because I can't see that having the right resonance if you aren't familiar with the song the dwarves sing.

The trailer did nothing for me emotionally. Technically, I like the digital, clean look of it. The 48fps aspect of things intrigues me the most.

bengraven

That trailer was obviously cut for people who had read the books. Maybe they'll do a different trailer for people who haven't, because I can't see that having the right resonance if you aren't familiar with the song the dwarves sing.

Similar to the second LOTRO teaser.

That prolonged shot of the Fellowship walking in slow motion did nothing for someone with no familiarity, but those of us who breathe the books were loving every time someone stepped into frame.

To be honest, it's very different from LOTR.

The plan from the outset is actually one part caper and one part revenge story. Hell, Bilbo's role in the story is a "burglar" in this caper, though there's no demo guy and no safe cracker.

It's a "job that must be done" much like the ring being thrown in the fires, but this job is self-serving and more about gold and jewels and the return of the dwarves homes.

In a way it's like a Western. Think War Wagon, Great Train Robbery, or Good, The Bad, The Ugly. They gather the men and go off to rob a big fucking dragon.

Then once they get to the mountain, things happen and there's a few "twists" (not M Night style twists, but unexpected things such as a war).

Cool! That stuff sounds neat, hope the film delivers on that.

teiresias

The dwarves look like cartoons. They didn't in the other movies.

There's also a ton more in the main cast that you have to make look somewhat distinguishable and memorable. How many dwarves are even in the LoTR films? The four at the Council of Elrond and that even counted Gimli? Those are pretty high ranking dwarves so they're obviously a bit more formal looking in FoTR. Then you get the skeletons in the mines.

As for why some look like regular humans and others have heavier makeup, it's pretty obvious that they're designing them such that the younger ones look more "human" and then as they increase in age they get more of the "large nose, big beard" look.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
was kinda dumb looking at first, but then the dwarf song kicked in and that was awesome and then...

DAT ENDING. FUCKING CHILLS. Andy Serkis is still godlike.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
What? He doesn't even look like a dwarf, he's just some dude sitting there. The old one was the best of the lot.
Dwarves were like any other of the Children of Illuvatar (even though they were more like step-children, considering it was Aule who first created them, but life was given to them by Illuvatar), they're full of variety. There were some from the race of men who looked elvish, there were darker elves who almost looked like members of the race of men. Same goes for Hobbits, some were actually a lot taller and more in scale with men. Some of the dwarves have more dwarven features, others less so and this is probably the angle that Peter and co are using.

I'll watch it but it doesn't seem to have smaug in it. I guess that will be for the 2nd movie.

Saw some trolls and the spiders so at least that will be fun.

bengraven

Cool! That stuff sounds neat, hope the film delivers on that.

I have no doubts it will deliver on what made the book great.

My only worries for a non-fan or someone who doesn't want same-old is going to be the interjections that were added. I predict a few scenes of Gandalf or Galadrial or Elrond or Saruman being zoomed in on saying "the dark lord is rising and we must do something about this" for a few hours. Similar to the many "we must do something with this ring" scenes in the original trilogy.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
My love of all things Tolkien knows no mortal boundaries. I'll be in the theaters, likely watching this twice, as I did every LOTR movie.

I can't wait for the illiterate crowd to get confused and angry at the hijinks and light-hearted scenes forthcoming.

bengraven

I really hope they cut nothing. I can think of two things that might be cut and I really really hope they're not:

1) the warg attack (similar to the warg attack from Fellowship that was never scripted into the movie) which was cut from the Hobbit animated special

2) Beorn - though I swore I saw that he was cast...?

I'll watch it but it doesn't seem to have smaug in it. I guess that will be for the 2nd movie.

Saw some trolls and the spiders so at least that will be fun.

I believe someone in production said the first movie will end with the barrels going down the river? Maybe?

EDIT: sweet, he will be in:

"Comments made by Weta Workshop indicate that in the adaptation, Beorn's transformation from man to bear will be a major special effects sequence."

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Cannot wait to watch this. I loved the Hobbit.

Edit: Ben, from wikipedia:

The Swedish actor Mikael Persbrandt is cast as Beorn in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit. Beorn never actually shape-shifts between man and bear-form during the narrative of The Hobbit book: he is encountered in both forms, but his actual transformation appears "off-screen", away from the point of view of the main characters. Comments made by Weta Workshop indicate that in the adaptation, Beorn's transformation from man to bear will be a major special effects sequence.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I really hope they cut nothing. I can think of two things that might be cut and I really really hope they're not:

1) the warg attack (similar to the warg attack from Fellowship that was never scripted into the movie) which was cut from the Hobbit animated special

2) Beorn - though I swore I saw that he was cast...?

I believe someone in production said the first movie will end with the barrels going down the river? Maybe?
He's been cast and a few spy shots of what might be his hall have emerged.

80r9m.png

mb4zF.jpg

bengraven

^^^^ Oh wow, I always pictured more of a Norse hall, but that works (considering the great hall idea was used in Two Towers already).

It should be wild, since he has been isolated in the wilds for years. I wonder if they'll have his trained animals...that might be a bit silly for a PG-13 fantasy film.

Cannot wait to watch this. I loved the Hobbit.

Edit: Ben, from wikipedia:

Ha, a minute too late, but thanks anyway!

Beorn had little to do in the book (outside of toward the end), but I always loved the scene in his house.

I don't want to see a fucking thing of Smaug until opening night. I want to be in a theater full of people not expecting it. Just like the theater being blown away by the Balrog in FOTR.

artist

Banned
Got it, I'll be pissing in your beer.

The trailer did nothing for me emotionally. Technically, I like the digital, clean look of it. The 48fps aspect of things intrigues me the most.
How pretty something is means nothing if the movie is a bore.

Believe it or not, not everyone was entertained by seeing people walk across valleys and mountains for what felt like hours before something new in the plot happened.
Woo, I'm not alone.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I don't want to see a fucking thing of Smaug until opening night. I want to be in a theater full of people not expecting it. Just like the theater being blown away by the Balrog in FOTR.
We might not see him in full until the second film, if at all. They may just use The Necromancer as the protagonist in An Unexpected Journey, but have Smaug as a brooding, overarching presence, with hints towards him every now and then.

Edmond Dantès;33636374 said:
We might not see him in full until the second film, if at all. They may just use The Necromancer as the protagonist in An Unexpected Journey, but have Smaug as a brooding, overarching presence, with hints towards him every now and then.

Or end the first one with the reveal of Smaug. End on a cliffhanger. But that doesn't seem to be Jackson's style.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I just realized that it has probably been 15-16 years since I've read the Hobbit. Even though I now feel really old, I know how I'm going to be spending part of my Christmas break this year!

bengraven

The fire was rrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddd.

I love how Jackson utilized Tolkien's songs.

I think if Tolkien is alive, regardless of how he felt about the entire trilogy as a whole, he would have been happy with the way Jackson used his songs.

So I just came back from new zealand after a month of flyfishing there and boy did this trailer take me back there.

Funny thing about New zealand is that everywhere you look you go, shit that would be perfect in an adventure film.

Amazing country and boy what an amazing trailer, Cant wait for this film.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"But Peter, the songs are the only thing people hate about the books!"

"orly? I'ma troll these kids like it's on sale for 19.99. And then they will love those goddamned songs."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom