• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm watching Firefly and Nathan Fillion and would make such a great son or somebody Indiana Jones can pass his hat to. Either him or Chris Pratt.

Nathan Fillion really has that rogueish adventurer type of look to him.

Darkmakaimura

I don't get why. How can a movie cost that much. When it seems like you can shoot, edit, VFX a movie in what, a year and a half?

There's got to be some money laundering here, because I just don't see who's getting paid that much.
My guess it has to also do with the delays. Wasn't this movie delayed for various reasons including Harrison Ford injuring himself on set? There is also some crew member that died during the filming. He didn't die from any injuries or anything like that but just passed away from other causes. Maybe all that stuff had something to do with it?

All I know is with that kind of money, it better be good. I think when the reviews I saw said it was actually boring. How the hell can an Indiana Jones movie be boring? I mean I even like Crystal Skull even though it was probably the worst of the quadrilogy.

jason10mm

Gold Member
300 mill is just bananas. That's like a racing film crashing real Ferrari. They could build an entire city for a practical effect wih that kinda cash.

Or Harrison cost 50 mill, which was probably the wrong move.

Darkmakaimura

Fbh

300 mill is just bananas. That's like a racing film crashing real Ferrari. They could build an entire city for a practical effect wih that kinda cash.

Or Harrison cost 50 mill, which was probably the wrong move.

That's just modern disney.
Insane budgets, bad writing, and somehow horrible visual effects

Thor Love and Thunder cost $250 mill and in some scenes you could think you are watching Spy Kids 4
3ef7186e7904880c5955340b6549ebc4568afd34.gifv

Darkmakaimura

That's just modern disney.
Insane budgets, bad writing, and somehow horrible visual effects

Thor Love and Thunder cost $250 mill and in some scenes you could think you are watching Spy Kids 4
3ef7186e7904880c5955340b6549ebc4568afd34.gifv
Wow, that's a scene from the last Thor movie?

jason10mm

Gold Member
When they treat the vfx people like garbage, you get this
I kinda wonder how stuff like that gets in. They have no time to "do it right" but it's "good enough"? They had a hairbrained idea and just enough budget to slap it together and the low budget aspect is intentional? There is no one saying "No" to that stuff anymore?

Ulysses 31

I kinda wonder how stuff like that gets in. They have no time to "do it right" but it's "good enough"? They had a hairbrained idea and just enough budget to slap it together and the low budget aspect is intentional? There is no one saying "No" to that stuff anymore?
They just don't care. Taika Waititi even made fun of the bad cgi in some featurette.

Last edited:
ILM shed some light on these issues:

To be fair, their work on Spawn was groundbreaking. Santa Barbara Studios of Star Trek fame did the Hell scenes, and boy did they fuck those up!

Back to the goats... Shutter speed doesn't seem to match the left and the right side of the image. The focal depth is absolutely wretched, but that probably looks fine in 3D. Here's the worst example I can think of, this is genuinely unwatchable in 2D:
shuma-gorath-marvel0rcl9.gif

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
The trailers I saw on TV while working at home show Indy all the time and the Fleabag chick for 2 seconds.

VulcanRaven

I'm going to see this tomorrow. I know that reviews haven't been good but I haven't read them. I'm just excited that we have a new Indiana Jones movie.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

I'm going to see this tomorrow. I know that reviews haven't been good but I haven't read them. I'm just excited that we have a new Indiana Jones movie.

Saturday for me. Gonna wear my Indy outfit. Good or bad, Indy deserves it.
Damn, the movies already out as soon as tomorrow? Or is this some kind of pre-screening?

I'm really curious what people are going to think about it.

If it were not for Covid and especially my father's passing (also his favorite movie was Raiders of the Lost Ark) I would have seen a midnight showing of this or something. But now I'll be waiting for it to stream on Disney Plus.

It's so, so sad. I really miss being excited about movies like this.

jason10mm

Gold Member

If it were not for Covid and especially my father's passing (also his favorite movie was Raiders of the Lost Ark) I would have seen a midnight showing of this or something. But now I'll be waiting for it to stream on Disney Plus.

Well, have a pint while watching for your dad. My dad is still alive and well but we don't have a ton of movies in common other than James Bond perhaps. I'm taking my son to see this though, it will be his first Indy because he noped out HARD at the skeletons on spikes from Raiders a few years back and now he refuses to watch it. He has done the ride at DL though so he is vaguely familiar with the character. If this film is a bunch of "old man Indy" fumbling about looking for his glasses then that's gonna suck. I hope it is fun and adventure filled so we can both enjoy it. Maybe I'll try to sneak in Raiders or Last Crusade with him before then.

Darkmakaimura

Well, have a pint while watching for your dad. My dad is still alive and well but we don't have a ton of movies in common other than James Bond perhaps. I'm taking my son to see this though, it will be his first Indy because he noped out HARD at the skeletons on spikes from Raiders a few years back and now he refuses to watch it. He has done the ride at DL though so he is vaguely familiar with the character. If this film is a bunch of "old man Indy" fumbling about looking for his glasses then that's gonna suck. I hope it is fun and adventure filled so we can both enjoy it. Maybe I'll try to sneak in Raiders or Last Crusade with him before then.
Your son eventually does need to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark and especially the extremely family friendly Temple of Doom.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Damn, the movies already out as soon as tomorrow? Or is this some kind of pre-screening?

It was released today here in Finland.

This was very good. Much better than the fourth movie. James Mangold was the right choice to direct this one.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

There were two things I didn't like about this. Other one is story related so SPOILERS:
The movie starts with the Paramount logo but it doesn't change to anything. Lucasfilm logo comes after it. That was an odd decision. Also Indy's son died before the events of the movie in Vietnam war.

Last edited:
Holy shit, it was bad. Kingdom is great in comparison.

Harrison being old is a bigger problem than I expected. He doesn't carry any of the action scenes (except for the flashback which probably wasn't even him), the CG is too distracting, Phoebe is annoying, and it was just boring all round. Surprisingly the time-travel shit didn't bother me.

Sallah's involvement was laughable. He gives Indy a lift to the airport. That's it.

Ulysses 31

Holy shit, it was bad. Kingdom is great in comparison.

Harrison being old is a bigger problem than I expected. He doesn't carry any of the action scenes (except for the flashback which probably wasn't even him), the CG is too distracting, Phoebe is annoying, and it was just boring all round. Surprisingly the time-travel shit didn't bother me.

Sallah's involvement was laughable. He gives Indy a lift to the airport. That's it.
4/10?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Red Letter said it best in their ToD rereview. Old Indy just doesn't work.

The series is and always will be the original 3. ToD being my most watched, as it probably was for everyone in the 80s.

Starts at 56:29 He is now just a character, not adventure man. A prop essentially.

T.v

I'm watching Firefly and Nathan Fillion and would make such a great son or somebody Indiana Jones can pass his hat to. Either him or Chris Pratt.

Nathan Fillion really has that rogueish adventurer type of look to him.
Nathan Fillion at the time he filmed Firefly maybe. He's way too old now.

Saw this yesterday and it was just all around bad. Action scenes drag on and on only by virtue of the bad guys being a bunch of dumb fucks. The female lead and her sidekick are two of the most annoying characters I've seen in a while. The effects are pretty bad and Ford just can't carry a movie like this anymore.

Ulysses 31

Nathan Fillion at the time he filmed Firefly maybe. He's way too old now.

Saw this yesterday and it was just all around bad. Action scenes drag on and on only by virtue of the bad guys being a bunch of dumb fucks. The female lead and her sidekick are two of the most annoying characters I've seen in a while. The effects are pretty bad and Ford just can't carry a movie like this anymore.
4/10?

Top Bottom