• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indonesia executed 6 drug convicts in death row (5 foreigner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ominym

Banned
Not really. Drug traffickers aim to profit from the destruction of society. Convicted traffickers deserve death.

What a narrow-minded view point. Not every drug trafficker is some bloodlust driven profiteer. Some are poor people forced into it either violently for cartels or out of destitute poverty. Did you think everyone trafficking drugs was some Tony Montana looking dude?

Not saying I agree with drug trafficking either, just that there can be a whole lot more to this story other than "welp put another notch on the belt for the side of good!" when it comes to these archaic laws.

Elchele

What a narrow-minded view point. Not every drug trafficker is some bloodlust driven profiteer. Some are poor people forced into it either violently for cartels or out of destitute poverty. Did you think everyone trafficking drugs was some Tony Montana looking dude?

Not saying I agree with drug trafficking either, just that there can be a whole lot more to this story other than "welp put another notch on the belt for the side of good!" when it comes to these archaic laws.

It's all a pyramid. In the end the ones profiting are the big organizations (cartels, mafia, etc). The same ones who murder thousands of people in Latin America every year. Zero sympathy.

All countries in Latin America should adopt those kind of laws to make drug trafficking less appealing.

FZZ

Banned
Extremely fucked up, but its fairly obvious to anyone going that the consequences for bringing in drugs are harsh. It sends a huge message to traffickers.

abadguy

Banned
It's all a pyramid. In the end the ones profiting are the big organizations (cartels, mafia, etc). The same ones who murder thousands of people in Latin America every year. Zero sympathy.

All countries in Latin America should adopt those kind of laws to make drug trafficking less appealing.
Yeah i am sure large Cartels could easily be crippled by killing off a few low level mules.

ICKE

Banned
My former schoolmate was busted for illegal drug trafficking a long time ago. She was just a mule, a person who was adopted when she was young and abused by all parties involved. Many people in this business are hardened criminals who deserve the worst, because their entire operation is based on abusing the weakest in our society.

So I don't have any sympathy for those who willingly engage in this activity and stand to profit from it. I can understand why citizens in some of these troubled nations have zero tolerance for traffickers. But too often the mules are victims and deserve a way out, at least a chance to make something out of themselves. I have absolutely no trust whatsoever that the Indonesian justice system works properly in dishing out these harsh sentences.

Maybe because alternatives have less potential for abuse and/or the effects of abusing them are less severe.

Nah, they all (generally) the same as far as potential for abuse is concern, heroin is just seen as the big bad because reasons.

Tbh, even if one does concede that heroin is indeed Quite Bad, the logic doesn't follow through. In order to prevent heroin abuse, which could ruin your life, we'll throw you in prison for using it, which will ruin your life.

End of the day, all prohibition does is give the cartels money, fill prisons and kill people via overdose thanks to shit control on drug composition.

It discourages people from being mules, at least to Asia. Sadly, it's the only way

Be a mule and risk being caught and killed or refuse and be killed. Oh yes, much choice.

hirokazu

Bali Nine ringleaders are fuuuucked. They're just waiting on the rejection of clemency for the second guy before they schedule the execution.

I'm against the death penalty and I kinda feel bad for them, but you don't organise a drug smuggling run through a country which has the dealth penalty for such a crime unless you're a fucking idiot.

Damaniel

Banned
Not really. Drug traffickers aim to profit from the destruction of society. Convicted traffickers deserve death.

+1

Only problem is the long jail time, a month is long enough to write a will.

0e3.png

Fuck drug traffickers.

I'm glad people like you aren't in charge of any country (well, except for the backwards ones like pretty much all of Southeast Asia). Seriously - the death penalty for drugs? That's plain fucked up.

Camwi

0e3.png

Fuck drug traffickers.

Piss off. Do you seriously think this is going to solve anything?

Or they could try something that might actually work and legalize drugs, like Portugal did.

I think the problem is that when people hear the headline "Drug Traffikkers to be executed" they live in a black and white fantasy land where they imagine this person:
1290840824221_f.jpg

as the one being executed

Or they could try something that might actually work and legalize drugs, like Portugal did.

While portugal's approach helps the end user immensely, they, as far as i'm aware, have not provided legal means of obtaining said drugs, which means that money is still being funneled to the cartels and quality may vary wildly, thus retaining the risk of overdoses.

A very good step, but not enough.

I thought the new guy that got elected was supposed to be cool and liberal and all that. Did anything to happen the other guy who threw a temper tantrum when he lost?

I'm glad people like you aren't in charge of any country (well, except for the backwards ones like pretty much all of Southeast Asia). Seriously - the death penalty for drugs? That's plain fucked up.

Well it's definitely the wrong thing to do, but when you go the airport there are signs everywhere that say "Drug trafficking = DEATH" are we really supposed to feel sorry for a bunch of idiots who went ahead and sold drugs anyway?

Camwi

While portugal's approach helps the end user immensely, they, as far as i'm aware, have not provided legal means of obtaining said drugs, which means that money is still being funneled to the cartels and quality may vary wildly, thus retaining the risk of overdoses.

A very good step, but not enough.

As you said, still a step in the right direction.

Guatemala proposed it like 2 years ago. USA basically threatened to cut aid if Central America did it.

Same thing with Mexico, with the same results. Maybe the country wouldn't be in such a fucking mess if the US had not interfered.

I don't know that Indonesia would face the same problems from the US.

Condom

It discourages people from being mules, at least to Asia. Sadly, it's the only way

Makes the market just more lucrative, sadly. Only solution is decriminalization and making the cartels irrelevant.

Sadly the US and UN hold on to stone age resolutions stopping countries from fully legalizing stuff. Of course US states themselves can legalize because they're above international law thanks to the constitution.

Fucked up situation all around.

Why is death by firing squad done with bullets to the heart rather than the head?

I would imagine being shot in the heart would be agony, and you'd basically die slowly by what amounts to suffocation. What the hell?

Pretty damn harsh. If I'm not mistaken there are a couple southeast asian countries with super hardline drug laws right?

I'd assume that people into hard drugs traveling abroad would be aware of this. It's kinda like knowingly going skydiving with shitty equipment. You bet the farm on shit odds and lost. Etc.

With that said, the policy and laws are pretty fucked around drugs in that area of the world. I'm surprised countries don't raise a bigger stink over it.

jstripes

Banned
Why is death by firing squad done with bullets to the heart rather than the head?

I would imagine being shot in the heart would be agony, and you'd basically die slowly by what amounts to suffocation. What the hell?

Being shot in the heart you'd die pretty quick, because it would stop blood flow to your brain.

The problem is if they miss by a few cm. That's when you get the slow agony.

hirokazu

Being shot in the heart you'd die pretty quick, because it would stop blood flow to your brain.

The problem is if they miss by a few cm. That's when you get the slow agony.
I wonder what the statistics are about percentage of cases where they miss. Why don't they just have the twelve people shoot from a shorter distance.

hirokazu

I think the problem is that when people hear the headline "Drug Traffikkers to be executed" they live in a black and white fantasy land where they imagine this person:
1290840824221_f.jpg

Can't say about people of other nationalities, but the Australians on death row or facing execution of convicted if drug smuggling are anything but hapless innocent people forced to do it by unfortunate circumstances.

They may not look like that dude, but it's not a black or white case of either they're drug kingpins or they're innocent victims of society or crime. They tried to make a quick profit from a crime. They also made a decision to attempt to smuggle drugs from, into or past countries that have the death penalty for such a crime.

I don't think they deserve to be executed, but if you take that sort of risk, you'd better be prepared to face the outcome.

BraXzy

Not condoning any crime that they have committed but damn.. I can't imagine not only being sentenced to death, but having to wait more than a decade for it to happen.

Qvoth

this is indonesia we're talking about, where money talks
don't want to die? then pay everyone and their dogs

Pretty much. Black & White thinking just doesn't produce good results.

JJD

Aren't drug traffickers often times poor people or people being forced to do it?

Can't say about the other cases, but this is getting a lot of media coverage here on Brazil and everything show so far points to the guy just being a mule.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
1290840824221_f.jpg

As opposed to automatically thinking of them as this poor folks being forced to do stuff that they do?

I find it somewhat amusing that there are so many in here are so very quick to assume that the people being punished here are those who have had no other options but to traffick heroins, that each and every one of them has this sob story that we all should shed our tears to.

Many of you folks are letting your feeling on death penalty creating these stories for the traffickers even if you do not even have a shred of clue whether those sad stories that you're thinking of are even true in the slightest or not.

As opposed to automatically thinking of them as this poor folks being forced to do stuff that they do?

I find it somewhat amusing that there are so many in here are so very quick to assume that the people being punished here are those who have had no other options but to traffick heroins, that each and every one of them has this sob story that we all should shed our tears to.

Many of you folks are letting your feeling on death penalty creating these stories for the traffickers even if you do not even have a shred of clue whether those sad stories that you're thinking of are even true in the slightest or not.

"Hey, maybe they are really bad people! Maybe we should just kill them."

Yeah... And maybe they're not. That's the whole point, dude. We're uncertain about whether or not these people are fine people or not and therefore don't want to see them get murdered by a firing squad in case they are good people.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
"Hey, maybe they are really bad people! Maybe we should just kill them."

Yeah... And maybe they're not. That's the whole point, dude. We're uncertain about whether or not these people are fine people or not and therefore don't want to see them get murdered by a firing squad in case they are good people.

I did not comment on the validity of the death penalty itself. I merely commented on how many of you are so quick to assume that these drug traffickers were forced or whatever while the reality they could be anything but.

Also, you're not "good people" if you're trafficking drugs that can rip apart people's lives. Of course, circumstances may vary but that is also true to any act of crimes in this world.

I did not comment on the validity of the death penalty itself. I merely commented on how many of you are so quick to assume that these drug traffickers were forced or whatever while the reality they could be anything but.

Also, you're not "good people" if you're trafficking drugs that can rip apart people's lives. Of course, circumstances may vary but that is also true to any act of crimes in this world.

Everyone who deals drugs is a bad person.

Everyone who causes damage to people's lives for their own gain is a bad person.

Everyone who works at Coors is a bad person.

Chichikov

I don't know if they're "good people" or "bad people", I just don't think that drug trafficking in and by itself is such heinous crime.
I personally put drug traffickers below robbers and identity thieves on the "bad people" scale.

p.s.
There are obviously people in the drug trade who do terrible terrible things, but as far as I know those people were not charged with such crimes.

hirokazu

I don't know if they're "good people" or "bad people", I just don't think that drug trafficking in and by itself is such heinous crime.
I personally put drug traffickers below robbers and identity thieves on the "bad people" scale.
Really? These people indirectly contribute to a lot of deaths in the country of destination for the drugs. Maybe some of them are coerced but a lot of them are in it for a quick profit. That's pretty bad in my books. Yes that's a heinous crime deserving a long jail sentence.

Robbers and identity thieves mess with people's property but you can fix that up. You don't get back lives ruined by drugs.

fertygo

Apparently the next wave of execution already prepared..

If Brazil and Dutch already mad as hell, we'll see if Indonesia won't back down from Australian convicts that supposedly executed in next wave..

Crazy time.

Chichikov

Really? These people indirectly contribute to a lot of deaths in the country of destination for the drugs. Maybe some of them are coerced but a lot of them are in it for a quick profit. That's pretty bad in my books. Yes that's a heinous crime deserving a long jail sentence.

Robbers and identity thieves mess with people's property but you can fix that up. You don't get back lives ruined by drugs.
They don't force anyone to take drugs.
You realize the whole idea of "pushers" is bullshit, right? especially in a country with such harsh penalties as indonesia, you honestly think drug dealers go around offer random strangers drugs on the streets?

There's a demand, people want to do drugs, most of them don't die or have their lives ruined, some of them make bad life choices, no doubt, but I think it's quite a stretch to externalize the blame for that on traffickers.
Robbers and identity thieves directly hurt innocent people, traffickers don't.

And you know what, if it was shown that harsh punishment for drug dealers can cull the drug trade maybe we could have this discussion, but it doesn't.

fertygo

The death penalty should never be an option for any drug related crime. I am shocked at how many people think that people who are involved in the drug trade should be executed. I guess some people are too selfish to realize that not everyone lives in circumstances without desperation, suffering, poverty, etc. I'm not saying these crimes should go without punishment, but being murdered by firing squad is absolutely insane for a drug crime.

I'm honestly surprised this many of poster (from US I presume) didn't think drug trades is that severe of crime act.

The negative stance of death penalty is understandable but the reaction to drug trade as crime act itself is pretty surprising. The more you know I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom