• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Lince

Banned
TTP said:
The problem is not that you begin as a super hero. The problem is that they didn't bother designing missions around that "state". It's mostly combat, combat, combat.

I'm getting bored of side missions. They are all "Kill all the enemies" stuff.

Can't blame Sucker Punch for trying to show off the revamped and fun fighting mechanics. Anyway, I prefer combat over the blatant abuse of bomb-defusing missions in Infamous 1, there's plenty of climbing already, the refined combat mechanics in 2 are definitely a lot of fun, but then again I play trying to achieve stuns, alternating powers in mid fight and making the most of everything the game offers, not just equip the same powers, take cover, roll and zap zap zap to win, that's definitely boring.

I guess the fun you get out of Infamous 1-2 is related to the way you approach the game, if you want to be cheap and boring the game will be the most cheap and boring, if you want to feel like a comic superhero and perform hilarious acrobatics and kills Infamous 2 definitely has the mechanics in place for you to do that. Just give them a try.

Fjordson said:
Some of the monster enemies are frustrating with all of their projectile shit, but that might just be me sucking.

there's a whole city full of stuff for you to tackle some of these monsters, this is not a corridor shooter, if you find certain enemies' AI cheap then it's time for you to try something new, the game gives you plenty of options, as I said it's a matter of trying them and not thinking 'I can zap with my hand, I can take cover/roll so I'm gonna engage every enemy in this game by just rolling and zapping their heads...'

Oni Jazar

lawblob said:
Sound, or lack thereof, is so weird at some parts.

I hate this. There's some good music but it's very low, blends in too much into the background.

I messed around a bit with the mission editor and thought it was actually pretty easy to do simple missions. Very well done and I look forward to people making amazing stuff.

bitoriginal

Hi guys, my apologies if this has been asked hundreds of times before, but how does the karma system work? Is it like Mass Effect where if you do both good and bad things throughout the game you'll remain neutral? I want to do an evil run the first time round but i'm finding it hard not to save people from muggings and stuff like that.

Oni Jazar

Lince said:
there's a whole city full of stuff for you to tackle some of these monsters, this is not a corridor shooter, if you find certain enemies' AI cheap then it's time for you to try something new, the game gives you plenty of options, as I said it's a matter of trying them and not thinking 'I can zap with my hand, I can take cover/roll so I'm gonna engage every enemy in this game by just rolling and zapping their heads...'

This game much like the original is all about situational awareness and tactical positioning. If you just run towards enemies head on you will get demolished. Keep a safe distance and plan your angle of attack. Also make sure to roll a lot as helps tremendously with dodging bullets.

Just finished it on evil

EVIL ENDING SPOILERS:
Holy fuck, what an ending, awesome. I think the last shot from Cole where he is the beast was the same shot form infamous1 where you get the vision of the beast, pretty nice if so. I wonder if evil or good ending will be canon in Infamous 3, but first I have to see the good ending -> on to my second playthrough! :D

CatPee

bitoriginal said:
Hi guys, my apologies if this has been asked hundreds of times before, but how does the karma system work? Is it like Mass Effect where if you do both good and bad things throughout the game you'll remain neutral? I want to do an evil run the first time round but i'm finding it hard not to save people from muggings and stuff like that.

Unlike Mass Effect, there's only 1 "bar" in Infamous. Your actions will either give you good karma, making it lean towards blue, or negative, making it lean towards red. Stuff like saving civilians from muggings or frying street performers only affect it very slightly(almost unnoticeable). It's not like there are 2 bars, so you won't really have to worry much about being neutral while going for an Evil run. Major story decisions will affect the karma meter more than small random events anyway. Though if you want to reap the benefits of good karma events while getting the XP bonuses, just zap the enemies first, then zap the civilians and it should even out.

vehn

Aurarian said:
When are you able to start collecting blast shards? I just got on the island but I can't sense any of them nor see any.

its a few missions in, it has you collecting one

Grisby

Ha Ha Gotta love Floodtown. Kill 50 enemies and accidentally kill one civilian because you landed in the water.

"This mission has made you more evil."

Aklamarth

In the power menu when you "buy" a power a "selected" animation plays out. Only there is no sound with that animation. No "whoooosh", "boom", "bang" etc. It's just so frigging weird to not hear something.

Carl

It's fucking weird when you kill an Ice Titan too. They keel over and...it goes quiet for like, several seconds. It's like there should be a sound there but they just forgot to include it or something :S

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Just started the game last night on hard, having a real blast. Everything I loved about the first game is turned up to 11, like the way the whole animation system has less gaps and pauses in it. Only complaints are nitpicks like the music not being as electronic or playing often enough (sound bugs?) and the checkpoints being a bit of a downgrade - they put me in a worse, often impossible to win situation sometimes.

Relatively early spoilers:
Helping Kuo control her powers and storming the fort are the two best parts of the game so far, especially since they have this music.

Carl said:
It's fucking weird when you kill an Ice Titan too. They keel over and...it goes quiet for like, several seconds. It's like there should be a sound there but they just forgot to include it or something :S
I'm convinced these are bugs. When music or effects fail to play for me the disc is spinning madly.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Played for a few hours last night, looks like this is going to be as awesome as the first game!

I would like the thread title to be inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Brought to you by Subway or inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Home of the $5 Foot Long. Seeing that Subway in this game cracked me up a bit.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Thrakier said:
I'll gonna start on hard. Combat needs to be challenging if there is a lot of it. What do you think, awesome Lince?
You will die constantly on hard, but I love the pain.

One more question for those who have finished:
I've left off after choosing Kuo for the power transfer device and gained ice powers. I've figured out that this is how the game decides which of the girls' faction of white/red soldiers will become my next major enemy, but have I completely lost my chance at working with Nix and seeing her story develop? Choosing Kuo gave me 100+ blue xp so this obviously the good road but the reasoning behind that is a little flimsy. Kuo made it clear the transfer would badly hurt her so I figured Nix would be a better candidate, surely how I use the power is more important? Ehh.

chubigans said:
Played for a few hours last night, looks like this is going to be as awesome as the first game!

I would like the thread title to be inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Brought to you by Subway or inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Home of the $5 Foot Long. Seeing that Subway in this game cracked me up a bit.
Thread title should have always been inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Electric Boogaloo!

Keikoku

Banned
I don't understand the complains. This game is at least as good as the first one, the gameplay and the graphics are even better (but it's still very aliased :/). The story sucks just as much as the in the original game. The city is better, more colorful and with better art direction. Missions are more interesting and varied. It's a good sequel imo, not a HUGE leap but still an improvement of what was a underrated game.

JohngPR

I'm encountering the quiet soundtrack too at times. It seems like the music cuts out abruptly and the city seems quiet out of nowhere at times.

Is Sucker Punch aware of the issue?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
"Cole! We need you to better protect this fragile thingamajig from several militia with RPGs!"

"...but I'm dying over here..." :(

GeoramA said:
Got a code for Original Cole Skin.

Quote if you want it.
Please! I'm in the EU if that makes a difference.

Luthos

I finished it last night.

One of my few complaints: Everyone and their mom has an RPG in this city. How about some more enemies with normal guns. You can be traveling along, and every turn you come into an all-out RPG warfare. And it'll happen again further down the street.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
anyone got any tips for beating the huge ice guys?
the one that shoot lifesized snowballs.

i was lucky i was hiding and had alot of electro sources so i just ice grenaded him to death but theres gotta be a faster way.

Finished it yesterday. It was pretty good. Don't know if I have it in me to play again for the fire powers, are they any good? Loved the hell out of the Ice Boost, or whatever it was called. I was bouncing around everywhere.

Tiduz said:

i was lucky i was hiding and had alot of electro sources so i just ice grenaded him to death but theres gotta be a faster way.

The cluster grenade ability (called something like that) makes pretty short work of them.

chubigans said:

luls. I didn't see the subway but I know ~a dozen people that won a subway copy. Thanks Subway I had a platinum before the game released! cred!

baekshi

Banned
Tiduz said:

Powered Leveled Rocket 3.

Aurarian

One more question, do I also have to do a few missions to be able to buy powers? I've got like 5k xp and I'm still the same as I was when I started.

DrBo42

Aurarian said:
One more question, do I also have to do a few missions to be able to buy powers? I've got like 5k xp and I'm still the same as I was when I started.
Yeah you have to progress in the story to purchase the big powers. Side missions/alignment determine the minor powers.

chubigans said:

Wait till you see Red Ring Electronics!

BeeDog

Holy shit, I tried out InFamous 1 for the first time in a good while at a friend's today, and the game hasn't aged well. It's worse in all respects now; worse controls (especially turning sharply, I now hate the small Sly dance Cole does), MUCH worse voice-acting/script (Zeke is much more annoying than his I2 portrayal), uglier (obviously) and with horribly directed in-game cutscenes (those facial animations are laughable).

It's obviously still a good game, but InFamous 2 is better in all aspects.

I'm running through the main story quests now, because the side quests were rubbish and you didn't need to do them. I am bored. I'm at the end - I guess, as I only have 1 more thingy to get - and have just played the mission where
you search warehouses for crates
. That mission was, without question, one of the worst sandbox game missions I've played in ages.
You have to go to 4 warehouses and search crates. Fine. Can I choose the order? NO? So, I'm going to three warehouses that I KNOW the thing won't be in because you're arbitrarily forcing me to?
Terribly bit of design, there.

The traversal system is fun, I suppose, though it's faster to mash X than carefully pick your next movement. The combat was fun but has gotten super-dull; now I do nothing but melee combos and use the Halo grenades. Cole is still a dick, but now he's a moody teenager dick as well; I actually quite like Kuo, but Nix is a grotesque character. Zeke is slightly less irritating than I1 as well.

Honestly, it doesn't feel like a leap from I1. It feels like they tweaked a lot, but actually genuinely iterated not very much at all. The city, in particular, screams this: it's totally nondescript, reminds me of the city from I1, has far too much cut-pasting of buildings going on, and doesn't necessarily provide the fun playground to romp in that I would expect from a sequel.

Moan over. I've enjoyed it enough to finish it. Not sure I'd buy a sequel though, unless it was SERIOUSLY overhauled.

Mixed feelings here.

I have the plat for I1, continued good first. I feel like the game was designed more in a bubble--I've played AC/RDR since then, and it seems like a lot of the options/depth for those games just outclasses this one. I'd want to see some larger changes for a sequel.

Some of the enemies are trash to fight, and I also feel that the camera tries to do too much work for you. One big complaints I have is about the shield. In the first, you could control the camera and the shield at the same time, which made combat pretty fast and flat out looked really cool. Now, it's just in front of me. /disappoint

I am digging some of the fights, and I do feel the sense of power that I felt in the 1st game about 2/3rds of the way through. Just some cheap ass deaths in WATERTOWN, probably my least favorite section so far.

Come to the conclusion that if there is a third game, then I'd like a west coast city. And honestly, I feel like they could very easily make Cole fly, but design wise, that's a difficult game to plan for, so I get it.

Aside from Cole, all of these characters can go somewhere. It's not really their motivations so much as the way they are written that's cringing.

Going to plat this one too, maybe come back for some of the missions/DLC, but only if they fix some of the bullshit enemies and bugs (there's a lot more than I expected).

Rikyfree

I really hope they put all the DLC for the game on the store in like a month or so. Would be fun to see what other stuff they can come up with.

Pretty disappointed that they (ENDING/STORY SPOILERS)
went ahead and had a character from the first one (vortex'd John) be the Beast. Not least because it throws the story into some time loop thing where the Beast only exists because of Kessler's attempts to stop the Beast...which is bullshit because, the only reason John happened to be the Beast is as a result of Kessler's plan (when John was chasing Cole to try to stop him using the Ray Sphere, and his involvement with Cole led to him getting vortexed) i.e. in the future that Kessler came back from, the Beast had to be someone else, not John.

btkadams

whatevermort said:
I'm running through the main story quests now, because the side quests were rubbish and you didn't need to do them. I am bored. I'm at the end - I guess, as I only have 1 more thingy to get - and have just played the mission where
you search warehouses for crates
. That mission was, without question, one of the worst sandbox game missions I've played in ages.
You have to go to 4 warehouses and search crates. Fine. Can I choose the order? NO? So, I'm going to three warehouses that I KNOW the thing won't be in because you're arbitrarily forcing me to?
Terribly bit of design, there.

The traversal system is fun, I suppose, though it's faster to mash X than carefully pick your next movement. The combat was fun but has gotten super-dull; now I do nothing but melee combos and use the Halo grenades. Cole is still a dick, but now he's a moody teenager dick as well; I actually quite like Kuo, but Nix is a grotesque character. Zeke is slightly less irritating than I1 as well.

Honestly, it doesn't feel like a leap from I1. It feels like they tweaked a lot, but actually genuinely iterated not very much at all. The city, in particular, screams this: it's totally nondescript, reminds me of the city from I1, has far too much cut-pasting of buildings going on, and doesn't necessarily provide the fun playground to romp in that I would expect from a sequel that was 4 years in the making.

Moan over. I've enjoyed it enough to finish it. Not sure I'd buy a sequel though, unless it was SERIOUSLY overhauled.
uh what? infamous 1 game out in 2009. that would be two years.

The more combat this game throws at me the lower it goes in my estimation. The traversal stuff is fantastic (especially the combination of the ice launch and thrusters) but it's evident that Sucker Punch really don't know how to balance combat to be satisfying and fun, because it sure as fuck isn't being spammed with RPGs.

As far as sequels go I guess I was setting myself up for dissapointment hoping for a Uncharted or Assassin's Creed 1 -> 2 style leap.

Top Bottom