• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Grisby

How many more hours do I have?

On a mission near the end called
the final piece
so I assume its that and then boss battle.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
Really enjoying this, some of the new powers really make traversal around the city and the combat so much more satisfying. I do think The original city was a better setting and some of the choices feel so ham-fisted it really breaks any sort of suspension of disbelief. Especially the choice you have to make just before you start the flood town area. There is no reason why you can't choose both other than the story requiring a clear Good and Evil path.

It's definitely a better game to play than the 1st one, but i think I preferred the story in infamous 1 so far. I think I miss sense of mystery.

The Lamp

I'm really annoyed how the electricity doesn't automatically recharge over time or when you're grinding on rails anymore. I wish they had kept that.

I'm also annoyed that the ice launch uses charge...I wish it were just a main form of traversal like the static thrusters. It's so useful.

I like New Marais better than Empire City because it's more diverse, and I can't ignore that it's significantly superior, but as a whole I like Empire City better because the missions and my gameplay felt more tied to the environment...such as going in the sewers, having powerless areas that I needed to restore (which I2 had, but only one of them), and for some reason I felt more connected to the people of Empire City over New Marais. Maybe because Trish was constantly involved, and she was just a normal civilian.

I loved the fact that this game had more conduits.
Seeing the Ice Gang made me so happy. I hope in future games you have different gangs of different conduits with different powers

Also doing neighborhood-scale battles with
the Ice Gang
made me desperately want a refined multiplayer mode for the next game. Superpowered battles with other freaks like me? Awesome.

The Xtortionist said:
Do Dead Drops spawn randomly? I've done every side/main mission, got every blast shard, and I'm still missing around 7.

Go back to the bayou, there's one over there.

TheFatOne said:
Man the rocket guys are starting to piss me off. It seems like there are way to many rocket launcher guys in Infamous 2.

Who the hell trained these hobos to be able to nail headshots with rocket launchers from 3 blocks away?

baekshi

Banned
The Lamp said:
Go back to the bayou, there's one over there.
Where is this bayou place? I'm only missing one dead drop, I also got all territories, shards, and side missions done. I went on IGN , and looked on three of the maps. One map is missing, I think I pretty much ran every on that place.. :\

1stStrike

Banned
On the evil side, has anyone found a use for
the critters you can spawn? They seem like a huge waste of energy as they die in like one hit and they don't do jack shit. And, if there's no enemies around, they just start attacking you which is annoying as hell.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
TheFatOne said:
Man the rocket guys are starting to piss me off. It seems like there are way to many rocket launcher guys in Infamous 2.
It's those tron looking ice guys that run up to you (glide) and shoot a hotgun that piss me off.

Rockets, I just push them away.

Allonym said:
I don't think thats right
If you collected the dead drops throughout New Marais, one of them has John telling Kuo and Wolfe that Kessler told John that he had a "special" destiny (a conduit Magneto of sorts) that he would come to understand so I believe Kessler knew entirely what the ray sphere would do to John.

That makes little sense...
if Kessler had the slightest thought that John would become the Beast, wouldn't he have killed him there and then?

I really haven't been collecting the dead drops though...my copy hasn't arrived yet so I just rented it and ran through it for the story.

this game is the opposite of infamous 1 in terms of power selection. the blue/good powers are so much better in infamous 2. in infamous 1, red/evil powers were crazy overpowered.

Irish

Linkzg said:
this game is the opposite of infamous 1 in terms of power selection. the blue/good powers are so much better in infamous 2. in infamous 1, red/evil powers were crazy overpowered.

I feel the exact opposite. The precision powers of the good side in the first game were extremely powerful, but they all feel pretty weak to me this time around. The evil powers, especially the Scythe bolt and Punch Blast, are quite useful for me. I love how you can stop every enemy from attacking you with that chain lighting and ash cloud. The hellfire rockets are crazy powerful. I liked the tripwire rockets as well.

Of course, the ice jump automatically makes good the best side.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Panipal2009 said:
That makes little sense...
if Kessler had the slightest thought that John would become the Beast, wouldn't he have killed him there and then?

I really haven't been collecting the dead drops though...my copy hasn't arrived yet so I just rented it and ran through it for the story.

But
why the talks of destiny and John saying something along the lines of I have a bad feeling about the destiny Kessler was referring to? Also just think for a second if Kessler truly wanted to end any potential birth of the beast he would've just destroyed the first sons himself ensuring the ray sphere wasn't made. You saw how easily they crumbled after he died and Bertrand seized their assests. It was done for gameplay reasons lol but also this was done to ensure that Cole became a person capable of making choices that went beyond his benefit. Jeweled knew of everyone that interacted with Cole I can't understand why he wouldn't know who the beast was he hails from.a.future where he is everywhere. Also Cole was this times protector not Kessler so he likely felt this was something Cole would himself have to face and deal with. Just my gathering of thoughts of game.
I think it makes perfect sense Kessler had a odd way of thinking but it worked

Seriously, what military training did these rocket people attend?

"If an enemy is within point blank range, be sure to shoot him in the face! Splash damage? What's that? LOL"

-_-

I'm still pretty early so I don't know if this is actually in the game later on or post-ending, but Infamous is begging for a day/night cycle. This "time of day determined by chapter" thing just isn't doing it for me. On top of the sound mix for the city being damn near mute, there isn't even any variation on how it looks minute to minute. Plus a random light/heavy rainstorm every once in a while that could pretty much turn Cole into Thor for 10 minutes would be insanely cool.

Aside from what I just mentioned though, I'm having a great time with the game. Oh except the rocket guys everyone's complaining about. Fuggg them.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving this - just platinum'd Infamous and I'm still ready for more.
The game seems much improved in every way so far. More varied, vibrant colour palette, meatier melee, interesting enemies, etc.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the cutscenes as well. Much, much nicer than the first game. I've also taken a shine to Cole's new voice actor. He seems to play the role very casually/naturally, and it fits in a "tired of this shit" superhero kinda way.

The Reaper skin is the coolest thing to come out of the pre-order bonuses. I'm doing a Hard Evil playthrough first time through, and it adds so much to the badass factor :D

BeeDog

Has anyone had the Extreme Makeover trophy glitch out? I'm pretty damn sure I've destroyed way more than 30 verandas and big things (that is, getting the Big Destruction XP), but I still don't have the trophy. Am I missing something obvious, or am I out of luck?

Atruvius

BeeDog said:
Has anyone had the Extreme Makeover trophy glitch out? I'm pretty damn sure I've destroyed way more than 30 verandas and big things (that is, getting the Big Destruction XP), but I still don't have the trophy. Am I missing something obvious, or am I out of luck?
I have the same problem. I have destroyed over thirty gas silos on the second island + lots of verandas on the first.

I just got all the shards and dead drops, I have also conquered every territory. Tomorrow I'll start an evil playthrough. This game is so much better than the first one.

anddo0

Irish said:
I feel the exact opposite. The precision powers of the good side in the first game were extremely powerful, but they all feel pretty weak to me this time around. The evil powers, especially the Scythe bolt and Punch Blast, are quite useful for me. I love how you can stop every enemy from attacking you with that chain lighting and ash cloud. The hellfire rockets are crazy powerful. I liked the tripwire rockets as well.

Of course, the ice jump automatically makes good the best side.

There's no evil equivalent?

I'm very dependent on the ice jump. In terms of fast travel. It also makes you feel like a bad ass super hero.

BeeDog said:

Your count is off maybe?

If you're up to the flooded city, head to the industrial area and blow some of those huge fuel tanks.. Spam that area and you'll get it eventually.

Atruvius said:
I have the same problem. I have destroyed over thirty gas silos on the second island + lots of verandas on the first.

I just got all the shards and dead drops, I have also conquered every territory. Tomorrow I'll start an evil playthrough. This game is so much better than the first one.

The silos are connected. So, even though, destroying one makes two blow up. it only counts as one.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
anddo0 said:
I'm very dependent on the ice jump. In terms of fast travel. It also makes you feel like a bad ass super hero.

Does anyone else feel the button mapping could have been handled a little better. Not that it is a big problem but the ice jump is something i use a lot along with the Kinetic Pulse, having to constantly remap between the two really breaks up the action. why couldn't it have been a double tap of X like the car jumo, only when you are not on a car, or ledge.

Maybe the tether also could also be context sensitive too, only used when you are aiming with L1.

CatPee

James-Ape said:
Does anyone else feel the button mapping could have been handled a little better. Not that it is a big problem but the ice jump is something i use a lot along with the Kinetic Pulse, having to constantly remap between the two really breaks up the action. why couldn't it have been a double tap of X like the car jumo, only when you are not on a car, or ledge.

Maybe the tether also could also be context sensitive too, only used when you are aiming with L1.

Just utilize the "memory" function of the power switching and set your R2 powers to Kinetic Pulse and then switch from that to Ice Jump. After that, it should always alternate between the two when you switch the first time after opening the menu for R2. Then just quickly tap <- and R2 to switch between them when you need to. I've learned to switch between 2 powers in more or less a tenth of a second. The only time the action is getting interrupted should be when you need to switch to a 3rd or beyond power.

As for the double tapping, I don't think it would work so well. All of the powers have more than two variations anyway, and triple-tapping or quad-tapping a button wouldn't feel right at all, especially for bolts where you need to mash R1 repeatedly anyway. <- + power button + memory is great.

James-Ape said:

I definitely agree. It's similar to Assassin's Creed in that they had a control scheme that worked for that game, then the sequel comes along, adds a bunch of new abilities without refining the layout and instead has the player constantly pausing to remap controls.

Also I think it would have been preferable, both in minimising the amount of remapping a player has to do, as well as increasing the feeling of superhero-ness, if rather than focusing on unlocking new variations on abilities, the upgrades were more about adding new functions to existing abilites. Take the bolt for example, you have the basic bolt, then the long range bolt, the higher power bolt and the rapid fire bolt.

Daft_Cat

lawblob said:
I wish this game had some Crackdown-esque skyscrapers to climb.

My only real complaint. No equivalent to trash tower from Infamous 1. Oh well.

I'm enjoying the story a lot more this time, which is surprising. It seems like with the origin out of the way, the writers have actually found a nice character driven groove to the proceedings in Infamous 2. I'm loving it. Love the whole "x miles until the Beast gets to New Marais" thing as well. Nice touch.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
CatPee said:
As for the double tapping, I don't think it would work so well. All of the powers have more than two variations anyway, and triple-tapping or quad-tapping a button wouldn't feel right at all, especially for bolts where you need to mash R1 repeatedly anyway. <- + power button + memory is great.

I'm not suggesting anything more than double tapping, It's in there already there for when you are standing on cars, albeit with a different name, so it doesn't seem like it would be breaking anything by enabling it that way.

CatPee

James-Ape said:
I'm not suggesting anything more than double tapping, It's in there already there for when you are standing on cars, albeit with a different name, so it doesn't seem like it would be breaking anything by enabling it that way.

...but you don't have to double tap when you're jumping on a car to get the height bonus in the first place... :p

Just finished good ending

Story: meh compared to first one. Good Ending --> WTF Characters were more likable though

Gameplay: Fuck yeah, fluid as butter Sogood.jpg x100

Upgraded Thrusters+cables+lightning tether = whatever Spiderman !

Really looking forward towards the evil playthrough with the badass Reaper skin

BeeDog

Despite me dishing out tons of environmental damage, I can't seem to get the Extreme Makeover trophy, even if I blow up the tank wagons in the railyard (I suppose you meant those?). Guess I have to try getting it in my next playthrough, sigh...

BeeDog said:
Despite me dishing out tons of environmental damage, I can't seem to get the Extreme Makeover trophy, even if I blow up the tank wagons in the railyard (I suppose you meant those?). Guess I have to try getting it in my next playthrough, sigh...

Just walk around the circles in the first island blowing up verandas. Takes like 5 minutes. They keep coming back. Just make sure you get the stunt for each one.

The Lamp

I don't see why people like the lightning tether. Its slow and clumsy, having to stop and aim with no measure of its reach. They could have made it a lot more seamless and efficient.

Ice launch fo life.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
Also just finished with the good ending!

Definitely a better game than the first one, It fixed most of the issues I had with it's predecessor, the ice jump and little extra boost to the static thrusters made everything that much more satisfying. Though the tether felt a little pedestrian, and some of the ability switching could have been handled in a more elegant way, without breaking up the action so much.

The story was OK, i actually quite liked the 1st one, even if it did have it's shortcomings. Some of the choices in 2 felt so forced that it took me right out of the story. They could have at least tried making Nix likeable, or played the sympathy card a bit better. Maybe there could have been more unique conduit bosses too.

As with the 1st one the whole thing could probably do with a little more polish here and there, but the core gameplay is so much fun it's hard not to enjoy the experience regardless. Good job Sucker Punch. Please make some more.

Now for all those side missions...

The English Conquistador said:
Wow, Flood town isn't very fun at all. :/ Kinda accumulates the things that annoy me in this game, and puts them into one area.
What don't you like about it? I didn't like it at first but grew to like it after realizing you could travel extremely quickly in this area and enemies are easy to kill if you blast them into the water and then electrocute them.

Finished the main story (Good side). Really enjoyed the game, in fact its the first current-gen game I've beaten this year (I bought Portal though, need to get back to that).

Infamous 2 and the original are still the best playing open-world action games around. More open-world games should have this attention to core gameplay mechanics(over just a big detailed world). The shooting mechanics feel good and the Ice Launch, Lightning Tether, and improved thrusters made moving around a lot more fun. Enemy awareness was better this time around too, enemies no longer see you from miles away and you can sneak up behind groups of them now.

[Story/Boss Spoilers]
I thought story during the game was better than the first, though the twist isn't as interesting (John being The Beast just didn't really surprise me). The protagonists were all pretty likable (even Zeke). Bertrand wasn't the best villain though, he never seemed very threatening just annoying. The people of New Marais didn't seem to follow him as much as the dialogue lead me to believe(maybe it would have make more sense on an Evil playthrough)and his boss fights were only ok. The Beast was better, starting with the great intro battle and the nuke scene later in the game but the final battle was a bit disappointing. I expected him to be picking up buildings and throwing them at you, instead he just stomped around and didn't seem that destructive. Just like the first game, I wish there were more human-sized bosses to fight. Following the small Ice Gang enemies as they jump from building to building was fun, would be great to have some different superpower boss conduits to fight in that fashion.

[Good Ending Spoiler]
I kept waiting for an epilogue after the credits :(

BOTH ending were great for different reason but I really hope (ending spoiler)
that they have some balls and keep him dead. Make the 'next' Infamous about another person with new powers or don't make one at all. Take your cool openworld engine and make something else not sly related. I am CONVINCED that Cole died because of the character design issue. It's very very clear that wanted a different kind of character to market and people were never going to let them take the easy way out and make Cole that character after that fact so he died so that Larry could be reborn.

Crewnh said:
What don't you like about it? I didn't like it at first but grew to like it after realizing you could travel extremely quickly in this area and enemies are easy to kill if you blast them into the water and then electrocute them.

Water being everywhere. I know it's a flooded town, I just wish it wasn't flooded. The amount of times I've tried to save people being held up, only to have them walk into water and as I touch it, they get cooked alive. And the "cap the fires" mission was annoying too.

Cramped fights. The Mr Freeze type guys are a pain in the ass to fight when everything is cramped as hell. Rubble and water everywhere and trying to dodge their massive attacks is just annoying. I actually like the other ice soldiers, just not those bigger guys.

And lastly, the climbing mechanics. The game in general, as well as the first has always been sticky. And often I'll die because Cole won't move where I want him to. But ffs, when I just want him to land, and instead he's glued himself to the nearest wall, and I get iced (ha!), it just shows how fucked up the climbing system can be, especially since the area is so dense and is filled with water.

I dunno maybe I'll get to like it eventually. I like the aesthetic of Flood Town, I just don't like the way I have to fight the bad guys and the town itself.

Grisby

Crewnh said:

A problem I had was that civilians would constantly be in the water as well, :(, which blows if your trying to be good.

JohngPR

I'm going on our family summer vacation and this is by far the nerdiest bag I've ever packed for a trip. ;)

9zxfeq.jpg

BeeDog said:
You have to get the Big Destruction XP marker to show up.

It only does it when the whole veranda has been destroyed.

BeeDog

RyanardoDaVinci said:
You have to get the Big Destruction XP marker to show up.

It only does it when the whole veranda has been destroyed.

Yep, aware of that and I continuously make sure I get that 5XP pop-up. Despite doing that over and over and over and over... again, I haven't gotten the trophy.

The Lamp

BeeDog said:
Yep, aware of that and I continuously make sure I get that 5XP pop-up. Despite doing that over and over and over and over... again, I haven't gotten the trophy.

Took me a while. I just destroyed verandas until I got it.

Top Bottom