• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

BeeDog

RyanardoDaVinci said:
I think it just takes longer to destroy 30(?) of them than you'd think.

I didn't get it until about halfway through the Floodtown missions.

I guess... might do a veranda-only run the next time I'm at my PS3 then. Thanks!

Bliddo

Quick question.... I hated the sheer amount of enemies scattered around the map in inFamous 1. Does the sequel have the same structure?

Been having fun so far, endgame stuff to play through still.

My only complaint is the same others have mentioned. The lighting bolts are all very weak and it's silly to be constantly running away scared from enemies to find a recharge station. not really feeling like a superhero :D

The main tactic ive resorted to is just run in the middle of the crowd and hitthe super ion drain.

The ice soldiers take atleast 2 head shots to put down with the skull bolt. and that feels like the best bolt weapon on the evil side :/ the ones you get later on are just weaker and have slower fire-rate.

BeeDog

Bliddo said:
Quick question.... I hated the sheer amount of enemies scattered around the map in inFamous 1. Does the sequel have the same structure?

The are less enemies in I2, and they are definitely not like the snipers found in I1. The game is generally less annoying, so you don't have to worry about that aspect.

Irish

BobTheFork said:
BOTH ending were great for different reason but I really hope (ending spoiler)
that they have some balls and keep him dead. Make the 'next' Infamous about another person with new powers or don't make one at all. Take your cool openworld engine and make something else not sly related. I am CONVINCED that Cole died because of the character design issue. It's very very clear that wanted a different kind of character to market and people were never going to let them take the easy way out and make Cole that character after that fact so he died so that Larry could be reborn.

Heh, Cole was always tainted for me because I didn't go out and get the first inFamous until I had read the GameInformer article for inFamous 2. The character design in that article really attracted me to the game. Of course, inFamous ended up being completely awesome, but I was never entirely pleased with the way Cole looked in it. There was already a True Cole in my mind. Then you all complained and we got stuck with something worse than either of the previous versions. :p

Still, I'm ready for an inFamous 3 with a new protagonist. Bring on the new origin story (something I really love).

Maybe we can even play with Cole's younger brother, Callum MacGrath, who he thinks wouldn't understand him at all, but is actually closer to him than you would think.

Callum MacGrath. :p

qkJ0x.jpg

Irish said:
Heh, Cole was always tainted for me because I didn't go out and get the first inFamous until I had read the GameInformer article for inFamous 2. The character design in that article really attracted me to the game. Of course, inFamous ended up being completely awesome, but I was never entirely pleased with the way Cole looked in it. There was already a True Cole in my mind. Then you all complained and we got stuck with something worse than either of the previous versions. :p

Still, I'm ready for an inFamous 3 with a new protagonist. Bring on the new origin story (something I really love).

Maybe we can even play with Cole's younger brother, Callum MacGrath, who he thinks wouldn't understand him at all, but is actually closer to him than you would think.

qkJ0x.jpg
Now we've been through this. The people to blame are those who complained about Cole from Infamous 1 enough to make them think they needed to change it :3
Cole from the first game wasn't great-great but he was way better than the 'new' Cole. What we have now is slightly better than new Cole but strange. If you consider where then ended up and that fact that (major spoiler)
he may actually be dead
then I agree they ended up making it look like the first game but not quite and not for any real reason.

It's not even about a new character honestly, but new powers. I don't think they can do another game with lightning powers and be interesting. To be fair if they take the bad ending as cannon (it could be either) then it gets REALLY interesting.

edit I maintain the whole thing was just about marketability. Even I'll admit the 'new' Cole look would look better in Tekken than the current one. I'm sure they wanted an icon like other character and it's hard to sell grizzled.

Fess

I just finished this, got the "good ending", "true hero", and 100% on all three islands. Awesome game!

edit: lol I missread the thread title, thought it was the first game, I haven't thouched the sequel yet

BeeDog said:
The are less enemies in I2, and they are definitely not like the snipers found in I1. The game is generally less annoying, so you don't have to worry about that aspect.
This is what I needed to hear. Infamous 1 is currently driving me nuts with its huge number of rooftop snipers constantly pegging me from all directions.

Irish

BobTheFork said:
Now we've been through this. The people to blame are those who complained about Cole from Infamous 1 enough to make them think they needed to change it :3
Cole from the first game wasn't great-great but he was way better than the 'new' Cole. What we have now is slightly better than new Cole but strange. If you consider where then ended up and that fact that
he may actuelly be dead
then I agree they ended up making it look like the first game but not quite and not for any real reason.

See, the main reason I liked that design (with the rust-colored hair) is that it really seemed different from every thing else out there. The face was instantly recognizable as well. I honestly don't know why that one disappeared and was replaced by that generic third-person shooter design with the black hair that we saw at E3 last year. What a weird decision. Oh well. It's done and over with.

BobTheFork said:
It's not even about a new character honestly, but new powers. I don't think they can do another game with lightning powers and be interesting. To be fair if they take the bad ending as cannon (it could be either) then it gets REALLY interesting.

Yeah, I'd like to see how they change up the powers. If they are just going to go the route of having the same basic attacks (rocket, grenade, shockwave), but of a new element, I can't see how that would be all that interesting. The whole recharge mechanic is something that could make changing things weird. I don't know, but I really would like to see where this gets taken to next.

antipod

Finished it as good an hour or so ago. Now I just have to finish finding all the blast shards and dead drops before starting an evil playthrough on hard.

Awesome game. I even liked Zeke (alot) in this one. The game isn't perfect though but it was long ago I had this much fun with a game, a game where I just couldn't put down the controller, so the minor problems with the game is mostly forgiven.

The story feels pretty wrapped up but I still hope there will be an inFamous 3 one day. The games are just... lots of fun.

ToyBroker

Banned
Beat the game last night. Absolutely godlike. Such a blast. Collected all the blast shards too.

Really want to play through as Good but I'm kinda burnt out.

I'd say the "EVIL" ending is the real ending. Really sets up Infamous 3.

I just finished it with the good ending.
I really wanted to go with the "bad" ending, but I didn't feel like reversing my karma. I think it's bullshit that you have to do that to unlock it, since I don't like being a dick. It seemed like the better choice too. :\

I kind of want to do an "evil" playthrough, but being "evil" just doesn't seem like fun to me.

I also think MP is the next obvious step. I think it's something they might have tried with 2 is the UGC didn't make it in. Maybe it's something no one else wants but at this point I'm sure they could spawn a pair of Cole's into a world and have them fight. Some form of competitive MP with insane super powers would be an great to try.

Grisby

BobTheFork said:
I also think MP is the next obvious step. I think it's something they might have tried with 2 is the UGC didn't make it in. Maybe it's something no one else wants but at this point I'm sure they could spawn a pair of Cole's into a world and have them fight. Some form of competitive MP with insane super powers would be an great to try.

I dunno. I just see trying to chase down Cole's and getting stuck on the environment. I would rather have a Crackdown Co-op deal.

anddo0

Wow@ everyone beating the game. I was going to save my final session for tomorrow... But, screw all of that. I'm booting the game now, gunning for the good ending.

Irish

Grisby said:
I dunno. I just see trying to chase down Cole's and getting stuck on the environment. I would rather have a Crackdown Co-op deal.

Even more badass. Superior players get to pick off all the people who struggle with the traversal. :p

___

I definitely believe MP could work, but they would definitely have to limit the powers beyond the basic bolt attacks. Power-pickups would be the way to go.

___

Still, co-op would be a million times better. I think the game could be great with a rivalry mechanic introduced, even outside of co-op.

Grisby said:
At that point it becomes like Assassin's Creed with tracking people and dealing with the environment.

Even if you restrict powers for MP, I want some kind of chaos mode where you can just shoot anything you have and send cars and people flying.

Irish said:

qkJ0x.jpg

I think that inFamous 3, or even just a side game for the Vita, should be about Kessler. Seeing as how infamous 2 changed Cole's personality and didn't really care to continue the tone of infamous 1's story, they don't need to worry about canon.

I didn't read the extended universe comics or any of that crap, but from info in the first game
Kessler got his powers after Infamous-Cole, possibly after he was married. Set the game in a redesigned Empire City (again, screw canon) and follow his path in gaining and using powers to be a hero. It should be very different than Infamous-Cole since he has a family, and no Kessler to push him. It can be more lighthearted and about discovering the powers, evolving them over time, fighting different supervillains, etc. Infamous-Cole was pretty much hated from the get-go and Kessler pushed to alienate Cole and destroy bonds. But Kessler could have an entirely different role as a hero. Hell, maybe Kessler wore a disguise when he fought crime to keep Trish safe and all that.

They can keep lightning powers and evolve them in the way, at least I expected them to evolve: zero-shift dashing, creating giant electric frames, electric clones, time powers, and the abilities we saw Kessler using at the end of Infamous 1.

It could end with the arrival of the Beast and Cole fleeing, or they can just have an alternative timeline or a choice to stay and fight. Again, fuck canon. Since it's a different Cole, they can even make him look like the picture above.

edit: and firebird strike slightly redeemed! I was on these cranes and the mission marker was across the body of water. Instead of climbing down and taking the long path over the bridge, I just bioleeched an enemy for temporary infinite energy, dove off and air dashed the entire way. Landed right on the mission market with one dot of energy left.

Just reached the flooded area. Just like the first, this game hits a soft spot for me - I am having a blast (though I think I prefer the first just a tiny bit, though it might be rose-tinted glasses).

A couple of questions:

a) If I want to see the evil ending, is there a way to go from jesus christ to satan in one event (or do i have to start back from much earlier?)
b) I just chose to
transfer powers with Kuo
. For those who tried 'both sides', which powers are more fun?

Finished the game on evil :p

I'm still missing some sidequests as i have red zones in my map but there are no yellow sidequest markers anywhere? How can i complete these?

BeeDog

Also just finished it (good ending). Mini-review coming up (excuse any errors, it's late)!

Pros:

+ The graphics are thoroughly impressive. Good textures, great scale, great lighting, you name it. Probably the most impressive open-world game so far.
+ Fun missions. While I played on Normal/Medium during my first playthrough, the game didn't really contain any annoyances like the first game had (e.g. super-skilled enemies that can snipe you from afar). It was a smooth ride with no frustrations.
+ The choices were better this time around; while they are still very black and white, they are presented much better mainly thanks to the better cutscenes and the stronger script.
+ The cutscenes are fantastic, ESPECIALLY compared to the horrible ones in the first game. Top-notch work here.
+ Also, the cast is better than the I1 one. Zeke is perfectly acceptable now, and the other characters are mostly good too. Voice acting is better overall, and I have to say I liked Cole much more in this game.
+ Still the best-controlling game on the market, in my humble opinion. Sure, the auto-sticky can be a bit obnoxious at times, but it's still a bliss ice-jumping, hovering then grabbing onto a launch rail. Always fun working your way around the map.
+ The (good) ending is fucking epic; FINALLY a game that ends on a proper note instead of just ending in a lame way. I'm looking at you, Killzone 3/L.A. Noire.
+ The story is not mindblowing, but I think it works well for a videogame. It sets up the enemies and protagonists well enough, and I never felt bored looking at the cutscenes.

Cons:

- Nix is an aggravating character, and is the sore one that sticks out.
- The framerate occasionally goes down a lot, but it's still much smoother than I1.
- General lack of bosses, which is a major shame I feel.
- Enemy variation is a bit on the low side, but from what I can recall, still better than I1.
- While being very polished for an open-world game, there were still some annoying oddities, such as enemies getting stuck in a falling animation loop, clipping/ledge-grabbing issues, occasionally dumb AI, many errors in the subtitles and so on.
- If you didn't like I1, you won't like I2. It's bigger and better, but it's essentially InFamous. That is, the gameplay hasn't been changed up very much.
- Only two islands when the first one had three was a downer, though I'm unsure just how big I2's game world is compared to I1's.
- The biggest negative point is that the game lacked vertical platforming stages such as the prison and the scrap tower in I1. In general, the verticality was toned down from what I can recall, and it's a major shame they didn't build some kind of mega-structures.

I really liked the first game, but this one blows it out of the water. Haven't had this much fun in a game for quite a while, and I honestly believe it's due to how well it controls. If Cole wasn't so fun steering around, the game would be half of what it currently is.

bridegur

Every developer working on an open-world game should have to play through this. The controls make it so enjoyable to get around the city.

jred2k

Noisepurge said:

I'm still missing some sidequests as i have red zones in my map but there are no yellow sidequest markers anywhere? How can i complete these?
Go into those areas and kill any random enemies you see. One of them will probably drop something that starts a mission for you.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Noisepurge said:

Run around the red zones and kill enemies. They're all the ones you trigger off a dead person.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
regarding the good ending :
I wonder if the RFI thing worked like the Ray Sphere but concentrating conduits powers into the holder rather than normal people's energy. John was "dead" for a while so i think they can easily bring Cole back within the parameters of their own story.

James-Ape said:
regarding the good ending :
I wonder if the RFI thing worked like the Ray Sphere but concentrating conduits powers into the holder rather than normal people's energy. John was "dead" for a while so i think they can easily bring Cole back within the parameters of their own story.
Cole coming back would defeat the purpose of the ending, since the plague would return with him.

DigiMish

I sure do miss getting back power from grinding on wires. But considering how many more wires there are in Infamous 2 (EVERYWHERE in Flood Town), I think you wouldn't have to worry about your health, so that's why they got rid of it.

Also, I think the reason Sucker Punch didn't include the platforming sections from the first game was because in a way, Flood Town is basically one giant platforming section.

Plus, you can always create your own!

Lingitiz

I really wish you could combine the tether with the ice jump. You might as well be flying if you were able to use them both in tandem. Still, both make traversing the city the best of any open world game i've played.

Barrett2

Really enjoying this game, but something else is bothering me.

Why are some boss battles so easy, but some basic missions get really difficult when fighting multiple dudes simultaneously?

Cole's powers are so weak, it feels like grenades and the 'force throw' do such little damage, I end up running around looking for electricity throughout most big fights, and die at random moments.

Oh well. Overall, still the second most fun game so far this year for me. Bullettstorm is still #1. ;)

ninj4junpei said:
Cole coming back would defeat the purpose of the ending, since the plague would return with him.

Maybe the RFI contained the radiation that caused the plague within Cole's body so it won't affect anyone else. Or we start moving into more fantastical directions, and Cole returns as a being of PURE ELECTRICITY encased in a human body. Just kidding.

JEKKI

maaaan I thought this game was funny coz it had Necromorphs in it...

but now I found the best cameo appearance since Subway was in the game,

kfHZx.jpg

Muscles Glasses!!

your belly aint ready!!

but Muscles Glasses is ready!!

Muscles Glasses is gonna get it!!

he's gonna get it!!

go get it Muscles!!!

Irish

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Maybe the RFI contained the radiation that caused the plague within Cole's body so it won't affect anyone else. Or we start moving into more fantastical directions, and Cole returns as a being of PURE ELECTRICITY encased in a human body. Just kidding.

The Ray Sphere explosion was the cause of the plague, not Cole himself. He blames himself for the plague because he was the one who set it off. At least, that is how interpreted the whole thing.

Irish said:
The Ray Sphere explosion was the cause of the plague, not Cole himself. He blames himself for the plague because he was the one who set it off. At least, that is how interpreted the whole thing.

Oh, in that case, there's no plague problem when he returns.

Zeth

So I just finished the good main story. I feel like it's inefficient to start a new save to play evil. Is there a better way to do this or is starting a new game pretty much the only option?

edit: this whole post is barely intelligible, I'm sorry. I guess what I'm asking is: Should I just start a new game to see the evil story missions then go back to collecting all shards and finishing all side missions on my more robust Good save? Can I get platinum this way?

Irish

Zeth said:
So I just finished the good main story. I feel like it's inefficient to start a new save to play evil. Is there a better way to do this or is starting a new game pretty much the only option?

I'm not sure I full understand what you are asking. You're going to have to start a new game if you want to do all of the evil mission stuff. I'm not sure how that is inefficient though.

vehn

Has anyone gotten hero to the people (stopping 80 crimes) on evil? It's my last trophy and it seems I've stopped 100 this entire play through

So I'm in Flood Town on mission
currently. How many story missions does the game have?

Been taking my time collecting everything and trying to complete as many of the good side missions as possible, and really not wanting the experience to end.

Truant

Played for a bit, did the first night-time mission with the limo from the preview videos.

- I liked the first one better, Empire City was a better place. Enemies were cooler, and the pacing of the story was nicer.

- Still a jaggy mess.

- Controls can be really imprecise at times.

- Melee is super fun, although useless against ranged enemies. You get killed really fast in a gunfight.

- Electric powers are still cool.

- The free running sucks compared to Assassin's Creed. Mash the X button without any rhythm, animations look janky when climbing walls. I know they have to sacrifice something for the sake of being able to move around fast, but that was one of my issues with the first game, and they didn't fix it.

- Like the new power progression system, beats the underground areas from the first.

- The new power switching stuff is great, very easy to use. Makes me change it up and use all my powers. More games should use this system.

- Voice acting and cutscenes are vastly improved. I kinda like the new Cole, seems more human than the old one. Zeke still sucks. He's the Barry Wheeler (Alan Wake) of the Infamous series.

- Lighting is awesome and looks gorgeous at times.

Irish said:
There are
40 Story Missions
in total.
Nice, still have plenty to go then. This is honestly one of the highlights of this gen for me. Simply because the gameplay is so pure, simple and fun. It rivals Crackdown for my favourite open-world game experience.

KingK

bridegur said:
Every developer working on an open-world game should have to play through this. The controls make it so enjoyable to get around the city.
Yep. The controls and the way Cole feels when moving around is one of the best aspects of inFamous. Sucker Punch really nailed it back in the Sly Cooper games too.

daffy

Banned
Very good game. I had problems with how sticky the acrobatics were, but other than that it was very enjoyable. So I guess either ending is canon? Cool.

I like how they handled some of the final choices, very interesting how they pull that one off. Kuo is so badass. I guess now I'll go play some of these user created side missions :D

Hopefully this means Robot on Wheels 2 is in development now!

Top Bottom