• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Just beat it a bit ago, and the game had SOOO many problems; a nonsensical story, powers weren't as rewarding as they could have been, not enough areas to explore, and a lot of similar buildings to the first game.

That said, I had a lot of fun with this game. About as much as the first.

- J - D -

Could someone explain to me the backstory and origin of these freaky monster things? I'm already on story mission 27 I believe and I think it all went over my head. I haven't been paying enough attention to the story.

I'm having such a hard/weird time trying to enjoy this sequel. I loved the first one to death and idk, I just feel like I'm playing a lengthy expansion.

I planned on beating this twice good-easy/ evil -hard. Am I doing it wrong?

Got the platinum trophy a few hours ago. I think this is my favourite open world game ever, or at least this gen.

Just as good as the first InFamous, if not a whole lot better.

CatPee

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Could someone explain to me the backstory and origin of these freaky monster things? I'm already on story mission 27 I believe and I think it all went over my head. I haven't been paying enough attention to the story.

The game will explain it to you in just a couple more story missions. In a very detailed way too.

Fezan

OK just started the game...dont know what complains are about.i am having tons of fun.the game play is great.graphics look great.best looking open world game(yes have played rdr on 360).and the controls are tight.minor issue is when climbing buildings repeatedly pressing x and strange animations when climbing.

haven't played the first one but got to understand the story through Wikipedia!are there problems latter in the game because the rating is in 7's???

TheHakku

Zeth said:
I guess what I'm asking is: Should I just start a new game to see the evil story missions then go back to collecting all shards and finishing all side missions on my more robust Good save? Can I get platinum this way?
Sounds right to me. I'm doing it the opposite way. Did the same in the original Infamous.

Grisby

I finished it.

Dammit, I wanted to enjoy this more than I did.

That story was just bleh, got a bit interesting near the end and then fell back to being kind of stupid. Nix and Kuo were handled poorly, right up to the end. Game starts off with a huge bang and then everything, even the beast storyline just kind of fizzles.

Amazingly enough, Zeke was actually far better this time around.

The game had a much better engine and felt a bit more smooth but wow, I thought I'd have more fun with it. It didn't even feel as epic as the first one did. Hardly any bosses and I didn't feel the side missions were as good. No tall towers to ascend either, :(

It was alright. Need to process my thoughts a bit more and write something in depth.

Duffyside

Banned
I wonder if you can "cheat" the "beat the game on hard" trophy by just doing the last mission again and upping the difficulty to hard? Or do you need to play the whole thing?

duffyside said:
I wonder if you can "cheat" the "beat the game on hard" trophy by just doing the last mission again and upping the difficulty to hard? Or do you need to play the whole thing?

Has this worked on any game ever?

Beat the game on normal, good side and I freaking loved it. About the ending:
So Cole isn't dead but who is he going to fight? Or are all Conduits possibly still alive or just him?

Just finished the game on the good side. I actually really enjoyed it. I loved the first game and I think this game built upon it
It's sad that it's all over. At least for Cole. But honestly, I'm happy that they had the balls to do it. When you think about it, it finished out what Infamous 1 set out to do. It completed the arc. It was really the only logical ending. I mean think about it. If Cole had simply become more powerful and beat the Beast then what next? Would you want them to keep thinking of more villains and in turn come up with cliche plotlines? That's what and Infamous 3 with Cole would have become and that would have been terrible. The only thing I think they should have played up more was that fact that Cole lost his home town, the thing Kessler wanted to prevent in the first place. It was a HUGE failure and it should have gotten more play from a character standpoint. He just seemed to get over it too fast IMO. Granted he had already lost the woman he loved but still he had a job, protect Empire City, and it seemed he was on that path and all gun ho about it but when the town got Beast'd he was just kinda apathetic about it to an extent.

Anyways more about the actual game.

High Points

Graphics. A major upgrade from the first game. THe colors are vibrant and the textures are well done even on low level enemies.

Gameplay. Smoother than inFamous 1. Controls work great. The on the fly switch with powers was incredible and worked very well. Also almost every power was useful. If you noticed, certain enemies had weaknesses to very specific powers from Cole. I like that you actually needed to uses some of the other powers that you would have otherwise not used. I also liked how they linked upgrading those powers to using certain powers in specific ways. Very clever and it made sense honestly with the story premise of how Coles powers evolve overtime when he "mixes it up".

Voice acting. When I first saw the trailer for inFamous 2 with Larry as the main character I didn't like the voice at all. But after the first cutscene I didn't notice the difference at all. Coles voice was very well done and I was also very impressed with Zekes voice. Just a bang of job IMO. Nothing felt out of place it felt authenticate.

Enemies. The enemies were great and nicely varied. I wish they even more conduits were created but the Frost guys were awesome and it made sense.

Side missions. They were all around better this time and a lot of fun and more varied. I very happy I didn't have to scale a building and disable surveillance.

Story. I liked that they continued the arc of the first game and completed it. It was very well done and more than I hoped for from "the Beast" storyline. I honestly thought after inFamous 1 the whole Beast thing would be a big letdown. But it actually turned out better than I thought. And I thought it was awesome that John was the Beast the whole time. When he was killed in inFamous 1 I knew it didn't make sense because he was a conduit. If anything it would have enhanced his abilities like it did with Cole. I'm happy they addressed that plothole. But I wonder if that was the plan all along. It's ironic that Cole essentially created the Beast to begin with. I wonder if Kessler knew it would be John. Probably not since he went back in time after the Beast destroyed everything. Speaking of going back in time, I am very happy they give Cole that ability. I thought for sure by the end of inFamous 2 he would go back in time and fight the Beast all over again from the beginning but they decided to actually end the game rather than created a "do over" cop out.

Low Points

Camera. It pissed me off sometimes when there were tons of enemies and you'd stick to some damn or ledge trying to maneuver. It got me killed at times.

Rocket Launchers. Eliminate this from your games Sucker Punch. It almost ruined the experience for me at times. I can understand the militia having them since they are easy to kill. But why in the hell would you give the Frost guys rockets and make them even more accurate. That's ridiculous.

No grinding drain. They was the easiest way to recover in inFamous 1. Why they didn't include this in inFamous 2 is beyond me. It wouldn't have made him overpowered or anything. They dropped the ball on that one because it was very annoying have to "zap zap zap. look for power source, drain. go back and zap zap zap" If I could drain while grinding it would have been awesome.

R2 ability requiring power cores. That's dumb as hell. I can understand the kinetic pulse using energy since you can do damage with it but Ice Launch and Tether are purely traversal. They should not require energy just like gliding doesn't require energy.

Flood Town (At first). When I first got to Flood Town I absolutely hated it. It was uncomfortable for me and just unpleasant to explore. But after a few missions in it, I didn't mind it. And actually, looking back at it and understand what Flood Town represents in reality, it SHOULD make you feel uncomfortable and it SHOULDN't be a place you'd want to be. But still it was a tough transition nonetheless.

Cole Dies. :(. I liked his character and I'm sad it ended. Hopefully when I got back and play darkside he'll live.

Anyways this has gone on way too long. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading.

It's [/spoiler] at the end, I'm glad I averted my eyes when I spotted
at the beginning, others may not be so lucky.

The Xtortionist said:
^Would you kindly remove that "s" from the end of your second spoiler tag?

Ahh, I see what you did there :p

Loudninja

Really thank you for spoiling the ending thanks alot.I made it so far without getting spoil but yet again just like the first one the game is spoiled.

TommyManberg said:
Just finished the game on the good side. I actually really enjoyed it. I loved the first game and I think this game built upon it
It's sad that it's all over. At least for Cole. But honestly, I'm happy that they had the balls to do it. When you think about it, it finished out what Infamous 1 set out to do. It completed the arc. It was really the only logical ending. I mean think about it. If Cole had simply become more powerful and beat the Beast then what next? Would you want them to keep thinking of more villains and in turn come up with cliche plotlines? That's what and Infamous 3 with Cole would have become and that would have been terrible. The only thing I think they should have played up more was that fact that Cole lost his home town, the thing Kessler wanted to prevent in the first place. It was a HUGE failure and it should have gotten more play from a character standpoint. He just seemed to get over it too fast IMO. Granted he had already lost the woman he loved but still he had a job, protect Empire City, and it seemed he was on that path and all gun ho about it but when the town got Beast'd he was just kinda apathetic about it to an extent.
Lots of other stuff

Do people think that Cole is still dead w/ the lightning bolt at the end?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
TommyManberg said:
I fixed it right after I posted though :( Please forgive me gaf. It was really not intentional at all.
Well maybe next time you should ALWAYS PREVIEW YOUR POSTS WHEN YOU'RE DOING MAJOR SPOILERS. :p

Not actually that mad though, I'm playing more for the gameplay than I am with the story, so no big deal. Just be more careful.

demosthenes said:

How does a lightning bolt at the end mean he's alive? I could understand if it put in elipses right after or you hear Cole's voice or something. They also have other opportunities during the ending to suggest that he's alive. But it is pretty clear that Cole is dead. Coffin closed. Literally. The lightning at the end is just poetic.

Besides. I don't want to think of the lame ass possibilities if he's still alive. That would really piss me off. So to me he's Coles dead and according to that ending, he's dead.

Loudninja

chubigans said:
Well maybe next time you should ALWAYS PREVIEW YOUR POSTS WHEN YOU'RE DOING MAJOR SPOILERS. :p

Not actually that mad though, I'm playing more for the gameplay than I am with the story, so no big deal. Just be more careful.
Yeah I am not so man but damn I really wanted to experience that myself, it kinda cheapens the game for me now.

The Lamp

I played the entire game my first time around on Hard. Wasn't really that hard at all. Much easier than I1 and its frustrating final boss fight, lol.

TommyManberg said:
How does a lightning bolt at the end mean he's alive? I could understand if it put in elipses right after or you hear Cole's voice or something. They also have other opportunities during the ending to suggest that he's alive. But it is pretty clear that Cole is dead. Coffin closed. Literally. The lightning at the end is just poetic.

Besides. I don't want to think of the lame ass possibilities if he's still alive. That would really piss me off. So to me he's Coles dead and according to that ending, he's dead.

Well
John White wasn't dead...maybe Cole isn't either lol. But no seriously, I'm okay with Cole being dead. I was unsettled at first, but
now I'm just curious how Infamous 3 will be handled. It's as if they'll have to make two different campaigns for the two different endings, lol.

Loudninja said:
Yeah I am not so man but damn I really wanted to experience that myself, it kinda cheapens the game for me now.

It's weird, I'm completely different, if spoiled I get a little upset and it passes by. But if I see someone playing the same game as me and I watch them play it for a bit, kills my interest in playing the game.

By the way, anyone have a guide for dead drops? I need to finish mine.

Also in the first game, was there a power to find the shards? I don't remember one but holy crap was it useful for finding my last 20-30 shards.

The Lamp said:
I played the entire game my first time around on Hard. Wasn't really that hard at all. Much easier than I1 and its frustrating final boss fight, lol.

Well
John White wasn't dead...maybe Cole isn't either lol. But no seriously, I'm okay with Cole being dead. I was unsettled at first, but
now I'm just curious how Infamous 3 will be handled. It's as if they'll have to make two different campaigns for the two different endings, lol.

But
it was a different situation with John. He was exposed to Ray Field energy (the thing that gives powers and kills non conduits) where is Cole was exposed to Anti-Ray Field energy (the thing that takes powers and kills conduits aka Cole). And remember Kuo even said "I could feel myself dying" when Cole first tried to use it with all the Cores.

Now as far as Infamous 3 is concerned. I don't think they will make one. I think it will be a new IP. And if they do make one, it will be a new character entirely. It wouldn't be Cole because he's dead. And they aren't using the 'inFamous' ending. They be using the "good" ending. And seeing as how the "good" Cole is canon from inFamous 1, it will probably remain the same for I2.

demosthenes said:
It's weird, I'm completely different, if spoiled I get a little upset and it passes by. But if I see someone playing the same game as me and I watch them play it for a bit, kills my interest in playing the game.

By the way, anyone have a guide for dead drops? I need to finish mine.

Also in the first game, was there a power to find the shards? I don't remember one but holy crap was it useful for finding my last 20-30 shards.

internet and gamefaqs with blast shard map are the power to find the shards...

The Lamp said:
I played the entire game my first time around on Hard. Wasn't really that hard at all. Much easier than I1 and its crazy awesome final boss fight, lol.

Well

Fixed. On hard he was a bitch, but oh so satisfying.

Beat it earlier, got most of the Trophies and ready for my black lightning Evil run. Overall I enjoyed it, it took more time for me to adjust to some of the changes, but once I did, felt like an unstoppable powerhouse again
Due to Cluster Grenades and Freeze Rockets + OG Lightning Strike

I would like to see more varied scenarios--everything was pretty much a direct correlation from the first game--even the layout of the 1st and 3rd towns.

Don't think that Cole is dead. Lightning strike at the end = He wakes up. I thought the lightning storm mission before that was direct hint--lighting from the sky pretty much makes him unstoppable. Some symbolism there as well

demosthenes said:
I'd like that to be the case. I think the inFAMOUS games told a very competent self-contained story. I like the idea of Cole dying to save the world, and no one wants to see a franchise stick around longer than it needs to.

I've mentioned it before, but I honestly think Sucker Punch
killed him off so they could move on to a new franchise. Preferably one that they own instead of Sony. Going the Insomniac route I think.

Crewnh said:
killed him off so they could move on to a new franchise. Preferably one that they own instead of Sony. Going the Insomniac route I think.
I just about believe that very thing.

Madrical

Banned
About 16 missions in, really enjoying it. The story sucks, the characters suck, the audio is pretty average, the graphics are good but the gameplay is excellent. I was hoping they'd improve everything non-gameplay for the sequel, but it seems they've improved the gameplay even more and improved the graphics. Everything else is still lacking.

Luckily the gameplay is amazing though, it's just so damn fun. Can't wait to get into it some more.

Thinking about it, now that I have finished it, I don't think this is a big improvement over the first game.

Pros
- Graphics, in general
- Cutscenes are much better
- Cole runs faster, traveling around the city in general is better
- A variety of powers to use
- Quick swap menu
- Zeke actually redeems himself (I didn't hate him this time)
- More varied enemies
- More varied environments
- Easier to find blast shards
- Melee is cooler and kind of more useful

Cons
- Jaggies are very noticeable at times
- Cole's new voice actor and appearance (both don't rub me the right way)
- Controls feel less precise (Cole speeds up too quickly)
- Climbing/platforming doesn't feel any more polished than the first game, still rather screwy at times
- New enemies are not necessarily the most fun to fight
- Fighting large groups of enemies can still be rather frustrating
- Cole runs out of energy too quickly
- Basic lightning bolt attack drains energy and is a downgrade compared to the first game
- Nix and Kuo were both poorly developed, with terrible designs
- Ending/final boss was not very satisfying (good ending)
- Final decision was very poorly handled
- Morality system was still too black and white, with the exception of the final decision (not being able to shoot when drained was a poor design choice)
- Still little reason to go down the "evil" path
- Writing was of uneven quality
- Finding dead drops is harder (WTF)
- Melee is wonky, with a crappy camera
- Music isn't as effectively used as the first game

How are people still complaining about the damn post with the spoilers? That happened like an hour ago and I fixed it almost instantly. It's not like you are still getting spoiled at this moment

1stStrike

Banned
Just beat the game on evil. Wow. So much better then the good ending, in some ways.

Evil ending spoilers:

I think killing Nix was pretty amazing. The fight pissed me off with all the warping, but I was glad to see the bitch dead. I did NOT expect John to wuss out after all that, though. That was a surprise to me. Also, that showdown with Zeke was fucking sad. Sure, the story had issues, but they really came a long way with Zeke from the first game. I'll admit, I almost got teary eyed when I shot that last bolt and he dropped dead. What a helluva a way to go.

Either way, I'm glad it's over. I enjoyed the game playing on both sides and it kind of makes me want to go back to Infamous 1 and beat it on evil, since I only ever beat it on good.

Also, not sure if the first game was like this, but once you beat the game on both sides you unlock both good and evil powers, so you can use the ice jump from the good side with all of the evil powers. It's pretty awesome.

Crewnh said:

I was thinking something similar.

Infamous 1 to Infamous 2 was a two year gap; Sly 3 to Infamous 1 was larger. Maybe they're already getting started on a PS4 (and Xbox3) game.

Loudninja

TommyManberg said:
How are people still complaining about the damn post with the spoilers? That happened like an hour ago and I fixed it almost instantly. It's not like you are still getting spoiled at this moment
So? in that instant I got a massive spoiler.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Finished it last night. What an ending!

I liked both Nix and Kuo, so I was happy to see a situation at the very end where Nix represented the "good choice" in self sacrifice. I saw Cole dying and John as The Beast from all the way back in inFamous 1 so the surprise left me a bit cold.

jackdoe

Crewnh said:
I don't know.
Why end with a question mark lightning bolt? Anyways, it just doesn't feel like they resolved everything yet so I don't think it's quite Cole's time to die yet (some of the dead drops felt weird; why would future Cole tell John that he is an important figure? Why not just kill him then and there if he was the true threat? I feel like they'll reconcile the two endings in a sequel so that good Cole resurrects while evil Cole goes on a dimension tripping rampage, destroying multiple realities in the process (including Kessler's) and eventually the two sides would converge. Hopefully something like that. Cause John was a pushover as the beast in both paths in Infamous 2.

Duffyside

Banned
Yo, I think that lightning bolt at the end is a total cop out. The bolt strikes the ship or the coffin with Cole in it, and it brings him back to life, but uh-oh, he doesn't have most of his powers anymore! Guess you'll have to earn them all over again...

Pretty ok with that though, as I like the games. Just if you're going to give yourself that opportunity to bring him back to life, then just don't bother killing him in the first place. If you do make another game, Sucker Punch, just ditch the Evil choices entirely and focus more on telling a full story, please. John White especially had a lot of potential as far as building a character and telling a narrative, but it all felt rushed because you spent so much time making the forced-evil-side nonsense.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, the thing is (good Ending):
If the thought of another character being the lead in a "Infamous 3", it kinda can't happened. As I took it, when Cole fired up the RFI, it killed EVERYONE that had a Conduit Gene, all over the world. So, no more possible heroes, at least not until new ones are born (and if that's possible from 2 parents with no Conduit Genes).

So, either no new people with powers EVER, or a lengthy wait until new ones comes around.

Top Bottom