• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Reading the last few pages I've been curious about opinions on the final choice...

Since when is dooming humanity to plague-y extinction ever the right thing to do? Surely the needs of many outweigh the needs of the few. Deep down Cole, Kuo and Nix know that conduits are more of a curse for the world than a blessing - it's just that Kuo fears herself or John dying to the RFI. Destroying the Beast and ending the plague is undoubtedly the best course of action because the public matter more.

Nix was right!

Lonestar said:
Well, the thing is (good Ending):
If the thought of another character being the lead in a "Infamous 3", it kinda can't happened. As I took it, when Cole fired up the RFI, it killed EVERYONE that had a Conduit Gene, all over the world. So, no more possible heroes, at least not until new ones are born (and if that's possible from 2 parents with no Conduit Genes).

So, either no new people with powers EVER, or a lengthy wait until new ones comes around.
This.
But there was still that lightning bolt!

Lonestar said:
Well, the thing is (good Ending):
If the thought of another character being the lead in a "Infamous 3", it kinda can't happened. As I took it, when Cole fired up the RFI, it killed EVERYONE that had a Conduit Gene, all over the world. So, no more possible heroes, at least not until new ones are born (and if that's possible from 2 parents with no Conduit Genes).

So, either no new people with powers EVER, or a lengthy wait until new ones comes around.
They can write around it if they want. RFI didn't actually kill non-active conduits, maybe. Maybe the plague gave some people conduit powers. Maybe some people rebuilt themselves like The Beast. Maybe the Beast left behind something to allow conduits to return in the case Cole didn't agree. Tons of options, really. Sucker Punch is probably just done with the series, but whether they want to bring Cole back or start someone new or just leave the story done with inFamous 2, they have written themselves plenty of ways out.

Regarding the good ending:

I found it interesting that the V-88 Mercs/Ice Soldiers referred to Cole as the Prime Conduit. Interesting they would specifically designate him like that. I'm thinking that the RFI does not affect him like it affects anyone else with the Conduit gene.

I hope SP isn't done with inFamous.

jackdoe

ShockingAlberto said:
They can write around it if they want. RFI didn't actually kill non-active conduits, maybe. Maybe the plague gave some people conduit powers. Maybe some people rebuilt themselves like The Beast. Maybe the Beast left behind something to allow conduits to return in the case Cole didn't agree. Tons of options, really. Sucker Punch is probably just done with the series, but whether they want to bring Cole back or start someone new or just leave the story done with inFamous 2, they have written themselves plenty of ways out.
The way John took on the properties of the ray sphere makes it seem like they could easily have Cole take on the properties of the RFI, which is their out. And unless Sucker Punch completely forgot about the line regarding Cole feeling something living within the ray sphere, I don't think this is the last time we'll see the Beast either (assuming Sucker Punch is truly not finished with the franchise)

Branson

Just beat it. Evil
Man what a sad ending, I felt bad killing Nix, and Zeke. Kind of weird but cool that John had that change of heart. But man, what an emotional ending with all of that happening. Probably wont play through good because of Duke Nukem coming out and Zelda Oot on 3DS.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
ShockingAlberto said:
RFI didn't actually kill non-active conduits, maybe.

Well, they kind of wrote it that way. Zeke mentioning people around the world dropping dead, with people never knowing why. They died as non-active conduits, never knowing they were in the first place.

But yeah, being a game story, they can rewrite any kind of device to create more superpowered people. It's just that the Good Ending logically wrote itself into a corner of "no more Superpowers"

Irish

newjeruse said:
Holy spoiler tags. Maybe I'll just beat the game first before I come back into the thread.

Heh, that is the rule I always follow. Never enter an official thread (after release) until I've beaten the game.

TheFatOne

Just beat the game. I beat the game in three sittings which is crazy. Only one other game I have done that with in this console generation Uncharted 2. The gameplay was much better in the sequel, but the story was bad. Infamous 2>Infamous. Why are all the traversal moves mapped to one button? That didn't make any sense to me. Fun game, but the rocket assholes almost made me quit playing. Can't wait for Sucker Punch's next game.

Edit: Forgot to mention this the powers felt so weak. I basically stayed with the same powers, and rarely switched because I didn't feel the need to.
Man when the last super power was the lightning strike I laughed. That was just terrible.

Lingitiz

Just finished it on the good side. What a ride. Probably one of the better paced open world games i've played. It fixed almost all the gripes I had with the first game, especially the ludicrously bad cutscenes, and stays true to what made the original so addicting. The characters were much better, and I never really found myself annoyed with anyone (hated Zeke in i1). The variety of powers was also welcome, and I felt powerful and fast while not being completely invincible. The structure of Infamous 1 was one of the biggest strengths, as you wanted to keep playing in order to see what powers you'd get next, so i'm glad they stuck to that with the blast cores.

Overall, it was a great game and i'll definitely be playing it on and off for a while with the UGC. Can't wait to see what Sucker Punch does next.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I had to come into this thread to say again how awesome this game is. I hope it sells well, more people need to try it because it really is up there among the best games in my opinion. It looks so damn beautiful and I love the combat dynamics as well as the whole structure of the game. The intro was a great set-piece to get you into it and I'm not at all disappointed by any facet of the game so far.

At least Gametrailers and IGN saw its greatness even if Gamespot somehow managed to miss it.

Is the setup of the game the same as the original?

With the original I went through on GOOD karma hard difficulty, got all the side missions, completed it then got all the blast shards after beating the final boss.

Then I started a new game and went through on EVIL.

Can you pretty much do the same here? i.e. once you complete it you can carry on doing missions and shard collecting, THEN restart on a new game/side?

antipod

KennyLinder said:
Is the setup of the game the same as the original?

With the original I went through on GOOD karma hard difficulty, got all the side missions, completed it then got all the blast shards after beating the final boss.

Then I started a new game and went through on EVIL.

Can you pretty much do the same here? i.e. once you complete it you can carry on doing missions and shard collecting, THEN restart on a new game/side?

Yeah, I'm doing that right now. Collecting shards and dead drops after having finished it being good.

darkwing

wow the UGC queue is awesome, was browsing in the infamous site and added some levels to my queue it appeared a few seconds later in the game

Dyno

Got right into the game this weekend and it's great! I've read a ton of comics as a kid and even played a great deal of pen n' paper superhero RPGs growing up. More than any other game does Infamous capture that particular feeling.

Even doing simple things like taking photos or stopping a mugging feels like the opening few pages of a Spider Man or Daredevil comic. The city is great and I'm so glad that a host of traversal powers is available right away. Half the fun in this game is just getting around.

I have a Karma question: If I play a mercurial, somewhat random person - sometimes good, sometimes bad - does that work against itself or will I simply gain good and evil Karma depending on what I do, meaning that I'll become both (albeit not as quickly as pure good or pure evil?)

I just want to take each situation on it's own merits rather than give up any choice because I choose to be a hero or villain.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
MarshMellow96 said:
Is it true that for a hard mode run through to count you need to have turned it on right at the start? (i.e. before you've even moved)

In my case, I switched to hard after I moved a few steps off the boat, and I still got the trophy, so I think you're still eligible as long as you switch BEFORE the first battle. (If you think you're going to go through one playthrough only though, I'd recommend restarting and switching to hard immediately if you're not too far along - I restarted after the swamp, after I realized I was on normal. Really wish they'd prompt you at the beginning to set the difficulty level.)

Still waiting for my copy to arrive but I have a question.

How prevalent is the 'spoilers in UGC missions' problem that you guys have been talking about? I'm thinking about disabling them until I finish the game, just in case. Is something like that warranted?

Lyonaz

Finished the game yesterday on Normal Hero run.
Absolutely loved the game, got like 71% trophies, so will platinum the game when I'll do Hard Villain run, sometime next month.

Goddamn game keeps crashing on this one last Stronghold sidemission i have left :E

And thanks for all who pointed out that i have to find random enemies in the last few areas that give out missions once defeated. Forgot about those.

hiryu

Not sure what is up with this game. I loved the first one and was pretty excited for the sequel but I can barely bring myself to play it. It's just so boring and blah. The missions are garbage and I guess I'm just sick of this kind of game.

Good ending talk
The thing is that Kessler never needed the ray sphere to get his powers and it's not quite explained how he did, it just sort of seemed natural. So either all conduits eventually manifest powers or just some. The ray sphere was supposed to just speed up the process and give him his powers early. So there a chance that the RFI may not effect him like other conduits, a chance. However, I would rather see something different than just explain away his death and make a third game with the same power set.

Ashes

Banned
The one freaking time I read this thread... nah just kidding, didn't read the spoilers... Will get this game soonish... Stuck knee deep in final fantasy...

darkwing

OneMoreQuestion said:
Still waiting for my copy to arrive but I have a question.

How prevalent is the 'spoilers in UGC missions' problem that you guys have been talking about? I'm thinking about disabling them until I finish the game, just in case. Is something like that warranted?

hmm the ones from Sucker Punch aren't spoilers, been doing them like crazy lols

Bergsy

Can i just say a big THANK YOU to whichever group hacked the PSN because without that happening i would never of played Infamous.

I downloaded the Infamous 1 demo when it first came out and i didnt like it but now ive got the game for free thanks to the welcome back pack, I absolutely love it and ive just picked up Infamous 2 after a brief go on the demo and what a demo it is, Infamous 2 seems much more refined, alot slicker.........oh and alot more colourful

Cant wait to finish 1 and get cracking with 2

#OOOOFFF

Dunlop

The Broken Ska Record said:
It should be under the R2 powers menu.

thanks, I'll recheck tonight. I went over each damn button like 4 times on the list ; )

of course I'll pass if it is on R2 which would cause me to swap out the uber ice launch ability

Argh, Firebird Blast sucks compared to Ice Launch. There's too much of a delay for when you can start using the static thrusters after pressing R2 - it's not ideal for faster travel, whereas with Ice Launch, you can endlessly chain it and thrusters together and travel with ease.

I still haven't unlocked the Evil Rockets but so far, the Good powers are much better than Evil this time around (Bolt Stream > any of the Evil bolts, too).

hiryu said:
Not sure what is up with this game. I loved the first one and was pretty excited for the sequel but I can barely bring myself to play it. It's just so boring and blah. The missions are garbage and I guess I'm just sick of this kind of game.

for me, any sequel that opens with
the obliteration of the entire area you spent the whole first game liberating, followed immediately by zeke joking about titties & beer,
is just sorta immediately off-putting. add to that cole's new weirdly unfocused 'kinder/gentler' persona, & i'm finding myself left with a pretty, mechanically proficient, but even more souless experience than the first one...

Well I just beat it.

This game is phenomenal and is a more than worthy sequel to the first, the new city is a good change and the gameplay has been refined further. Cole is a great protagonist and the new voice actor did a great job!

But in the end I prefer the first, due to a lot of reasons, mostly that Empire City was imo a better place to play through than New Marais. I understand that the first was 9/11 and the second was Hurricane Katrina, which makes sense but in the end I feel like a superhero in a 9/11 scenario is a better concept than one in new orleans during hurricane katrina. Add that to the fact that Superheroes always excel better in big city environments than in swampy ones. Plus the first was a new IP that came out and turned out to be god tier, while the new one while still at the same level would have been a disappointment if otherwise.

And now for story spoilers:
I feel like there way to few supervillains compare to the ones in the first one which wasn't even much. Kessler was your prime target and was more of a personal villain who seemed out to get you with a surprising twist at the end that changed everything. Sasha and Alden were both supervillains with awesome boss fights and good backstories as well. Although I liked Kuo and Nix, and thought Bertrand was a good villain, they weren't executed as well as the characters from the previous game. And The Beast ending up being John was a good twist but didn't have as much of an impact as the last one.

The one thing this game has done better though is the last choice, which was hard but I ended up going with the hero option. The ending was a good one but pissed me off cause I saw a lot more potential in the Cole McGrath story and now its over. And from what it seems from the other option only conduits would live and that would make an even less interesting game.

One more thing is that it was a little easier and a little shorter than the first game. But in the end it stands toe to toe with the first one and is a game of the year contender for me.

EDIT: Oh and i was pissed at less comic book scenes but the real time ones were done well so I couldn't complain that much.

Revolutionary said:
Argh, Firebird Blast sucks compared to Ice Launch. There's too much of a delay for when you can start using the static thrusters after pressing R2 - it's not ideal for faster travel, whereas with Ice Launch, you can endlessly chain it and thrusters together and travel with ease.

I still haven't unlocked the Evil Rockets but so far, the Good powers are much better than Evil this time around (Bolt Stream > any of the Evil bolts, too).

Best use of firebird strike is crossing large distances quickly. Unfortunately, you need to get up high for it to be useful.

It's been most useful for crossing islands without needing to cross the bridge.

About the good ending.
I guess part of me just wants Cole to be alive b/c I want more of this gameplay. So as long as their next game (new IP maybe) is similar I'll be happy. The game is just SO much fun to play.

The Lamp

I like Kuo a lot. Especially
her design once she gets ice powers
Nix would be completely unlikeable if it wasn't for
my sympathy for what happened to her family

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I find it surprising that people find the powers to be too weak. Pincer Bolt + headshots takes care of most things; once you add sticky missiles, cluster/freeze grenades, and 2+ ultra power slots, you are a walking death machine and I'm just talking about the "weak" good powers!

demosthenes said:
About the good ending.
I guess part of me just wants Cole to be alive b/c I want more of this gameplay. So as long as their next game (new IP maybe) is similar I'll be happy. The game is just SO much fun to play.
I actually hope for another Infamous game with a different character, and hopefully a new powerset.

TheFatOne

pelicansurf said:
I find it surprising that people find the powers to be too weak. Pincer Bolt + headshots takes care of most things; once you add sticky missiles, cluster/freeze grenades, and 2+ ultra power slots, you are a walking death machine and I'm just talking about the "weak" good powers!

You are still weak because of the rocket assholes. At any given time some asshole across the city on a roof will snipe you with a rocket. That is the main reason I never really did the melee attacks.

Mexx

Neo Member
Nice, I like stuff like that. :)
img6606z.jpg

img6607z.jpg

So what does everyone think of the gangs in this game compared to the gangs in the first?

Reapers, Dustmen, First Sons vs. Militia, Swamp Creatures, Ice Gang.

I personally like the gangs of the first game, they just seemed to have more personality. Plus when you ran into Conduits in the first gang it was special, they were very powerful. In this game, only the Ice Gang has anything on that level with the Crushers and the Titans.

1stStrike

Banned
The Broken Ska Record said:
I love jumping towards an enemy and then seeing a rocket flying right towards me mid-air unable to dodge it.

Wait, no. I don't like it. D:

I love how you come on a group of 3 or 4 guys and they all have RPG's. It's like "really?"

The shotgun guys later on, I'll admit, are cool as fuck. They have a pretty awesome pose when they're shooting you point fucking blank with a shotgun. But, they're hard as hell to deal with. Thank god for nightmare blast.

Cheska

There's also a store on the first island called "Red Ring" :p Seeing these little extra things in the game make me chuckle everytime.

I'm definitely dying more in this game than the original. It's not even that the game is more difficult, I just find myself in pretty bad situations where I get hit by something I can't dodge or run out of energy while fighting
the monsters that spew the green goo. I usually die while I'm rechardging >.<

This has probably been asked a lot of times before. But I got the Hero Edition eith the Duper Voucher. Are the skins included in the voucher or in the disk?

Top Bottom