• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS 2 |OT| Think Twice

AwRy108

Jarmel said:
By the way, who actually used the cover system? I tried it once or twice and promptly forgot about it.

Barely used in on my Normal playthrough, but using it a lot on my Hard palythrough, and I'm only like 4 missions into the story.

I played on hard first and I didn't really use the the traditional cover system. I did a lot of those climbing kills and hitting targets from the top of buildings. If I started losing too much health, I just moved back a little.

Jarmel

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
It's very important on hard, so I ended up using it a lot. Besides, I play the inFamous games like third person shooters.

I played on hard as well and I didn't use it at all.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Jarmel said:
I played on hard as well and I didn't use it at all.
How did you avoid gunfire around corners then, especially from bosses? It seemed that poking around corners without taking cover got me hit and killed a lot.

Jarmel

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
How did you avoid gunfire around corners then, especially from bosses? It seemed that poking around corners without taking cover got me hit and killed a lot.

There was alot of dying involved initially but just constantly moving, retreating back to get electricty and health, and using techniques to throw enemies off balance.

Jarmel said:
By the way, who actually used the cover system? I tried it once or twice and promptly forgot about it.

i actually forgot about the whole cover mechanic until the last third of the game :p fighting against
Titans
i was like "oh yeah!"

badcrumble said:
Is it just me, or does it feel like you have to retreat to charge up your electricity a LOT more in this game than in the first?

I don't know if it's because rail-grinding no longer recharges Cole, or if it's because the basic bolt attack now consumes electricity, or both, but all that retreating makes me feel a LOT weaker than in the first game.
Completely agree, plus cars give you less electricity this time around, those are just some peculiar design choices buy SP that I can't get behind, they changed a little too much in my opinion.

Just started the game. On Karma's a Bitch Mission, 5 Dead Drops and 48 Blast Shards. God I love collecting Blast Shards...game is great so far.

I think John White is the Beast based ont he 5th dead drop where kessler says he has a destiny

EDIT: Anyone have a count of how many blast shards are in each section of the city? i really want to get them all in one area before moving on to the next area.

baekshi

Banned
Found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZovFiBQUQ8o

exploit to get as xp powers D:

I'm on my third playthrough because i didn't save at the end of last mission, and the good ending trophy didn't unlock, now... i start it again :(

Anyone have a count of how many blast shards are in each section of the city? i really want to get them all in one area before moving on to the next area.

No, just your sensation, go to where it ever it takes and you'll get all of them eventually.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
Just started the game. On Karma's a Bitch Mission, 5 Dead Drops and 48 Blast Shards. God I love collecting Blast Shards...game is great so far.

I think John White is the Beast based ont he 5th dead drop where kessler says he has a destiny

EDIT: Anyone have a count of how many blast shards are in each section of the city? i really want to get them all in one area before moving on to the next area.

Your last I side mission power up is an ability that has your mini map point you to the nearest shard.

Kyaw said:
How long is this game approximately?

This is only a guess...20 hours on my normal - good side play through. I did every side mission, helped a lot of civilians and got all the blast shards. Still looking for dead drops, anyone have a guide? I already got the one back @ the bayou.

jf0qI.png

EDIT: What do you mean last I side mission?

Jarmel said:

I do when I'm being shot from multiple directions, although the enemies are pretty adept at trying to flush out Cole with grenades, for an open-world game the AI is pretty good.

The two things that kill me most often in inFamous 2 (especially hard mode):

1) Rockets fired at point-blank range
2) Swamp monsters that spit at you (Ravager, Hive Lord, Devourer) and you get caught in one hit, thus taking every single spit in that attack. Absolutely fucking maddening on the Devourer fights.

Jarmel

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
The two things that kill me most often in inFamous 2 (especially hard mode):

1) Rockets fired at point-blank range
2) Swamp monsters that spit at you (Ravager, Hive Lord, Devourer) and you get caught in one hit, thus taking every single spit in that attack. Absolutely fucking maddening on the Devourer fights.

Yep, although I HATE the larger ice bosses because they throw you around everywhere and it's hard to keep up an offensive.

The Lamp

Played my first time on hard. Wasn't that hard at all and didn't use cover system.

I also agree with the chorus about the stupid design decisions. Whoever had the idea of taking away rails electricity absorption and making bolts use electricity to artificially make this game harder needs to be removed from working on this series.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
but they added bolt recharge and the melee finisher that fully recharges you

The Lamp said:
I also agree with the stupid design decisions. Whoever had the idea of taking away rails electricity absorption and making bolts use electricity to artificially make this game harder needs to be removed from working on this series.
Yeah, those were weird (bad) decisions. It would've been nice, too, to bring back the damage protection upgrades from the first game - or, really, a lot of the upgrades from the first game. The power progression in inFamous 2 MOSTLY feels good, but even toward the end of the game I feel much more vulnerable and much weaker than I did at nearly any point in the first. At least the platforming's better (but there's less platforming to do).

There's a lot of improvement in this game, but there are also a lot of unexpected and unnecessary steps backward. I hope Sucker Punch is able to make a third game that brings together the best of both inFamous titles so far.

Thrakier

TTP said:
Agree. I'm not talking game design tho, just technical accomplishment.

In a way, this is the opposite of what Infamous 1 was.

Infamous 1 - great design, poor tech
Infamous 2 - poor design, great tech

Hopefully...
Infamous 3 - great design, great tech

I hope "bad design" is a bit of an overreaction. Infamous 1 is my fave game so far this gen and I'm really looking forward playing it when I have time. Reading this thread makes me a sad panda. :(

BobTheFork said:
I think flood town is meant to give your platforming fix for the game. Honestly the only major platforming piece the first game had was that tower (maybe the underground power segments). Flood town feels like a giant platforming are to screw around with. I also don't think the design in 2 is bad, at least not compared to the first game. I think the design of the first game is being over rated. It felt like very, very simple design for the first game. Unlock city segments with a submission or play story mission to the boss then move to the next island and repeat. I thought they made the layout of the city more interesting this time (I wasn't a fan of the 3 separate island idea). Putting the story of the game against the beast's arrival was a really good idea as well. I liked how they handled the menus, and unlocking powers much better in the second game as well.

I agree. The underground power segments were scrapped because a tutorial in the open world works just as good. The Tesla missile missions to open new areas are repeated but last for a very short time. Power selection is a blast compared to inFAMOUS 1, there are also way more powers to choose from. Powers later on in the game make traverse even more of a breeze than it already is.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Thnikkaman said:
It's very important on hard, so I ended up using it a lot. Besides, I play the inFamous games like third person shooters.

I did not use it all on hard, the frost shield is a much better cover system type deal. Cars go boom!

Lince

Banned
Infamous 2 has 'bad design' ? Infamous 1 was better?
please... if anything the game is more of the same but improved in every way... combat is just amazing with the new powers and revamped AI... anyway, finished my hero run and immediately started the evil one on hard, let's see if I can get another 15-20 hours of pure fun. My GOTY so far along with Dead Space 2, will buy Infamous 3 day 1 without a doubt.

The Broken Ska Record said:
What's the easiest way to get that 130m off the ground achievement? I tried grinding the electrical lines on the first island, but it's not quite working well for me.

I got it by pure luck just climbing right to very top of the 'ice tower' and using the advanced thrusters to land 200-250m away lol... that's how I discovered there was a trophy for that, (I never read trophy guides for games I really like).

Thrakier

Lince said:
Infamous 2 has 'bad design' ? Infamous 1 was better?
please... if anything the game is more of the same but improved in every way... combat is just amazing with the new powers and revamped AI... anyway, finished my hero run and immediately started the evil one on hard, let's see if I can get another 15-20 hours of pure fun. My GOTY so far along with Dead Space 2, will buy Infamous 3 day 1 without a doubt.

Love your words as much as I love you (sry FFO).

What's the easiest way to get that 130m off the ground achievement? I tried grinding the electrical lines on the first island, but it's not quite working well for me.
Get up somewhere high (highest point of the church, the clock tower, the ice tower) and choose a direction where you will be able to hit the ground. Use your improved static thrusters and glide as far as you can.

ShockingAlberto said:
Get up somewhere high (highest point of the church, the clock tower, the ice tower) and choose a direction where you will be able to hit the ground. Use your improved static thrusters and glide as far as you can.

Tried this and didn't get it D:

What are the 3 highest points?

Church, ice tower and...?

What's the easiest way to get that 130m off the ground achievement?
You'll need the upgraded static thrusters, but once you have them climb to the top of the cathedral on the first island (all the way on top of one of the belltowers). Then face north towards the clock tower across the way. Jump towards it and immediately initiate the status thrusters. Float all of the way down to the street. It will unlock shortly after.

r.gun

Neo Member

Choose evil ending. Won't say anything other than that.

demosthenes said:
Tried this and didn't get it D:

What are the 3 highest points?

Church, ice tower and...?
In this order from smallest to largest: clock tower, church, ice tower.

It works but by the barest minimum. You can't catch anything on your way down or land in water. You can, I believe, land on cars.

I did it off the church tower, since the area around the ice tower was lousy with silos. I just picked a direction where I would hit the street and got the trophy.

Carl

Go up the big ice building and jump off and use your advanced static thrusters.

EDIT: Wow i'm way late

Lince

Banned
Thrakier said:
Love your words as much as I love you (sry FFO).

trust me Seph, this is a much better game than Infamous 1, and I absolutely adored that game, but the sequel has fixed a lot of tech issues (it looks spectacular in some parts with a rather amusing texture work going on) and added a refined combat mechanics that for some reason people here don't appreciate, be creative guys! you have like 30 different moves, use them all and enjoy the game, think about trophies and 'game design' later. I understand Infamous 1 had more bosses and varied side missions, but at the end of the day this one is just more fun to play.

Hazanko

Banned
Jarmel said:
There was alot of dying involved initially but just constantly moving, retreating back to get electricty and health, and using techniques to throw enemies off balance.

Yeah, I'm finding I don't need to use cover like I did in the first game. I keep thinking they made it easier. I'm not sure.

jergrah

Im still fairly early on in the game -- just met up with the first creole girl (cant remember her name). Really enjoying it so far, only thing that seems off to me is the controls seem looser than Infamous 1 for some reason. Maybe Im just remembering the original differently though.

Other than that -- good fun thus far, really digging the new city. So easy to get sidetracked in the game doing side missions or hunting for shards.

The way I'd describe inFamous 2 in relation to inFamous 1 is that all the bad stuff from the first game is mostly still there, but all the good stuff is way better.

Except the story. But I also get the feeling the story was changed mid-development as some things seem kind of shoehorned in.

But that's beside the point, really. As a game, inFamous 2 is way better, it just has some quirky design decisions (like regular blasts using energy, which I imagine was to make the blackout areas more risky).

BeeDog

I'm curious, was it possible to get the drop on enemies in InFamous 1? In I2, it's much easier attacking enemies from behind before they even notice you, which I really like, but from what I can remember, they always knew exactly where you were in the first one. Or am I misremembering?

Paznos

Just completed the game with the good ending, the game was awesome it looked so much better than the first game but felt and played just like it.

There were a few things I didn't like, the very quiet city there were times when the only sound or music I heard was coming from the street performers. Still don't like Cole's new model and vo as much as the first game.

Hated that if you ran out of power you couldn't do anything until you recharged. I actually had more trouble getting all the dead drops in the game than blast shards lol it wasn't too bad but had to search for the last dead drop for a little while.

GOTY so far and can't wait to start my Evil playthrough.

Lince

Banned
BeeDog said:
I'm curious, was it possible to get the drop on enemies in InFamous 1? In I2, it's much easier attacking enemies from behind before they even notice you, which I really like, but from what I can remember, they always knew exactly where you were in the first one. Or am I misremembering?

yes I played Infamous 1 a couple of hours yesterday (it's absolutely incredible how poor it looks compared to Infamous 2) and the first thing I noticed was that I couldn't ambush enemies the same way I do when playing the sequel, there's a certain 'zone' you cannot trespass without alerting the enemies, even if they're looking the opposite way, at least playing on hard.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Gamespots 7.5 for the game is unwarranted. It deserves to have an 8.5 at least. The game play is better, at least from a combat and traversal standpoint. Character development is better as well except for Cole himself for some strange reason. But platforming and the story have taken a major hot but as a whole its a better game. Infamous 3 should take the story in a new direction. Kinda wrote where I felt the story should go a couple pages back.

AngryMoth

Just got the 'good' ending and unfortunately I can't help but feel let down by this game. While there are a lot of improvements over the original which I appreciate, the game ended up feeling very repetitive and I became very tired of fighting rocket launcher guys and mini bosses that present no real challenge other than the fact that take a ton of damage.

For me the combat is the biggest problem with the game, and this is largely due to the removal of the upgrade system. To me, the grenades and shock wave felt completely underpowered in comparison to the fully upgraded versions from the first game and this led to me spamming the regular pee shooter and the precision aim the whole time.

Also it seems crazy that they mapped 4 key powers all to R2? It created a situation where i am constantly having to switch between ice launch and kinetic pulse and never using the shield or lightening tether. This is disappointing as I really enjoyed using the shield in I1 but there is no way I would choose it over any of the other 3 R2 powers in this game, so what could be a much needed additional combat mechanic is rendered redundant.

My final complaint would be the unforgivable lack of ambient sound which makes the city feel empty and lifeless.

Despite these criticisms I did enjoy the game, just not as much as I was hoping to and I look forward to discovering the evil powers on a second play through at some point.

ShockingAlberto said:
In this order from smallest to largest: clock tower, church, ice tower.

It works but by the barest minimum. You can't catch anything on your way down or land in water. You can, I believe, land on cars.

I did it off the church tower, since the area around the ice tower was lousy with silos. I just picked a direction where I would hit the street and got the trophy.

Thanks for the advice!

Thrakier

Just played the demo and the original head to head.

What I didn't like:

- man, this city is weird. It's SO silent. Why!?? And no music either. Is it just the demo!?
- The graphics are a huge imrpovement, but I miss the grittiness of Infamous 1. It's still quiet pleasing, but the jump is almost like Resistance 1 to 2. I like my games and heros gritty and grey, yes, there, I said it.

What I liked:
- Gameplay still fucking nails it, just fun to play, can't stop, even in the demo
- Battles are great fun
- improved melee is nice
- framerate quite ok for an open world game, better than 1
- awesome smoke effetcs

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
badcrumble said:
Is it just me, or does it feel like you have to retreat to charge up your electricity a LOT more in this game than in the first?

I don't know if it's because rail-grinding no longer recharges Cole, or if it's because the basic bolt attack now consumes electricity, or both, but all that retreating makes me feel a LOT weaker than in the first game.

Definitely noticed this. I don't remember what it was like in the first game very well, but I certainly felt like I was looking for environmental sources of electricity constantly in I2.

baekshi said:
Found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZovFiBQUQ8o

exploit to get as xp powers D:

I'm almost certainly going to use this on my hard/evil playthrough. Giving you less XP to increase the challenge when the core of the gameplay is supposed to be having fun with your powers is a busted-ass design decision and I'm happy to rebalance it through exploits.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Definitely noticed this. I don't remember what it was like in the first game very well, but I certainly felt like I was looking for environmental sources of electricity constantly in I2.
You do. Partly because the drains on some moves are bigger, but also because the regular shot uses charge now, too.

Atruvius

I just got the platinum trophy, my easiest platinum probably.

Bad ending spoiler:
I didn't like the evil ending mission as much as the good one's. Nix was annoying to beat because she just kept teleporting from rooftop to rooftop and she had that one-hit-kill move.

I was happily surprised by how much the bad ending mission actually differed from the good one. It felt cool flying alongside John, blasting the city. At the time arriving in to the first island I actually started to feel bad. I didn't want to kill these people. It also felt really bad killing Zeke. Never has a game made feel that bad killing someone. :(

Oh. It was a nice surprise that when you complete the game twice you can use all the powers, no matter what karma you have.

But yeah. Really good game and if you like open world game buy this. You'll love it!

Top Bottom